Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Here's something that spooks me out: this is a drawing I did for a friend's birthday. It's really the only style I've been able to draw in since I was a child, anything more than stick figures is absolutely loving impossible to me. It's pretty close to the Blinko style, which is strange considering I didn't start getting into RP until last year.

That is deffo some Blinko poo poo. It feels like a pretty distinct style. Like I instantly recognized this cover art as his artwork. My girlfriend used to have a copy of The Primal Screamer but gave it away for free to some dork!

Sorting my discogs by price is pretty stable, although this one is a serious wtf

I looked up the price history and most copies sell for like $20 except one which was "sealed with hype sticker!" that went for $170 :wth: All my Rudimentary Peni records are worth like $80 or more :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll admit it’s nice to periodically check on the resale value of my first pressing ‘Trilogy’ (Carpenter Brut).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I've said this a bunch of times, but who is paying these loving prices? It's one thing when an album that retailed for 15 bucks sells for 50. But how does all this poo poo have triple digit asking prices now? People are buying this poo poo at these prices. Why? It's like those cartridges that cost thousands of dollars. At that point there's no worthwhile benefit and it's not even about the music, it's just a fetish item. Are there really that many boomers with money, wackos like that guy on youtube, and Saudi Princes hoarding this poo poo to drive up the prices to this extreme?

Money laundering?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That LCD Soundsystem box set is currently my highest price sold record. Only paid $90 for it too at a used book store. Used to be Frank Ocean ‘blond’ but I flipped that for a whole new TT and amp. Worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Money laundering?

I've genuinely wondered this more than once.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I've said this a bunch of times, but who is paying these loving prices? It's one thing when an album that retailed for 15 bucks sells for 50. But how does all this poo poo have triple digit asking prices now? People are buying this poo poo at these prices. Why? It's like those cartridges that cost thousands of dollars. At that point there's no worthwhile benefit and it's not even about the music, it's just a fetish item. Are there really that many boomers with money, wackos like that guy on youtube, and Saudi Princes hoarding this poo poo to drive up the prices to this extreme?

There are people who spend hundreds of dollars on baseball cards.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Since my parents gave me their player a few months ago, I’ve been having fun going through their old records and putting together a collection of my own. A few recent highlights:

Was stoked to spot Tracy Chapman at the store because I had just remembered the album a couple days before since Black Pumas did a (kind of mediocre) cover. Only big issue with it is a scratch that ruins the first few seconds of side two. Otherwise it’s a beautiful recording that sounds fantastic and is one of my favorites already. Iron Butterfly also skips at the very end of side two but at least it plays through almost all of the track.

Donny Hathaway was my parents’. I’d never heard of him but that album is fantastic.

I’d never really been into music from the sixties/seventies, so it’s been fun discovering stuff that I like. I actually really prefer listening to that kind of thing on vinyl. I used to be a fairly big metal head but just have no interest in buying those records.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CPL593H posted:

yeah I've noticed a lot of stuff on my want list is going for like $60-70 though if you look at the sales data, nobody ever bought it for more than $30. super frustrating, but I guess it is saving me lots of money in the long run

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CPL593H posted:

People are flipping poo poo as a side job with pretty much everything you can buy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah I've noticed a lot of stuff on my want list is going for like $60-70 though if you look at the sales data, nobody ever bought it for more than $30. super frustrating, but I guess it is saving me lots of money in the long run

I try to look at it from the perspective of the high prices forcing me to pick and choose what I really want to have physical copies of in my collection. Because I did the impulse buying/bought it because it was there and cheap/I heard it was good with video games and that's how I got a large collection filled with things I am mostly lukewarm about. Now I'm slowly selling off video games trying to get space back and keep only the games I enjoy. Besides saving money it does force you to curate your collection whether you want to or not.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

z0331 posted:

Since my parents gave me their player a few months ago, I’ve been having fun going through their old records and putting together a collection of my own. A few recent highlights:

Was stoked to spot Tracy Chapman at the store because I had just remembered the album a couple days before since Black Pumas did a (kind of mediocre) cover. Only big issue with it is a scratch that ruins the first few seconds of side two. Otherwise it’s a beautiful recording that sounds fantastic and is one of my favorites already. Iron Butterfly also skips at the very end of side two but at least it plays through almost all of the track.

Donny Hathaway was my parents’. I’d never heard of him but that album is fantastic.

I’d never really been into music from the sixties/seventies, so it’s been fun discovering stuff that I like. I actually really prefer listening to that kind of thing on vinyl. I used to be a fairly big metal head but just have no interest in buying those records.

Donny Hathaway is great. Get his debut album Everything is Everything when you can.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
vinyl purchasing quandary:

I want a copy of Roisin Machine, the Roisin Murphy album that came out last year. It's available direct from her site/label/store for, uh, 41 dollars, which is a lot for 2xLP with no bonuses other than a "photo and a zine." The shipping to the US is also an additional $25. So that's not great.

What's weird is that while I can find no real indication that it's available in the US, and the Discogs prices support that, it seems to be on:

* Merchbar: https://www.merchbar.com/dance-electronic-edm/roisin-murphy/r-is-n-murphy-vinyl-record
* Target: https://www.target.com/p/murphy-roisin-roisin-machine-vinyl/-/A-82228319
* Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roisin-machine-lp-vinyl/35095641.p?skuId=35095641
* A bunch of identical-looking record store sites like this that seem super fake: https://craft-n-vinyl.com/UPC/4050538636574

So like... what's going on with this? Are all of these orders going up to one distributor claiming to have copies? Is there any chance my order wouldn't just be immediately canceled when they figure out there's no copies?

how is it that of the three incredible dance pop albums that came out last year, the only one I managed to get on vinyl was loving Chromatica. Jessie Ware is still listed as a 1-2 month backorder everywhere too :negative:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I know Amazon had the Roison album up for $25 last year and as soon as it got pulled from pre-order it disappeared. Maybe since its a UK record and covid has completely hosed any sort of distribution its a bit tough to get in america? I'd still just put a pre-order in wherever the cheapest available option is and stick with it. It'll probably just take time to get fullfilled. I've also used Craft and vinyl before, you should be fine ordering from them. At least it wont be a toss of the coin like Target is with packaging or Best Buy is with completely up in the air shipping times.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DSYSM5M/ref=olp_aod_redir#aod

ImportCds, Movie Mars and Green Orbit are all reliable retailers in my books. I've ordered plenty of media from each of them in the past both used and new.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Just order it from Amoeba with free shipping:

https://www.amoeba.com/r-is-n-machine-lp-r-is-n-murphy/albums/4226876/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dorium posted:

ImportCds, Movie Mars and Green Orbit are all reliable retailers in my books. I've ordered plenty of media from each of them in the past both used and new.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on this. I usually distrust Amazon third-party sellers by default because, well, I don't trust Amazon to actually vet any of them. Went ahead and did an order via ImportCds, will see if/what it ships.

Amoeba needs to work on their SEO, didn't see this at all on Google :argh: that said, $4 shipping isn't so bad

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm becoming very glad I got into this hobby at least when I did though 5 years earlier would be nice. Lots of stuff I picked up that I thought would be around forever, but it's really tough to tell what will be pressed forever and what will not. All the run the jewels albums for example are suddenly out of print and quite pricy. I hadn't really planned on buying RTJ4 but I guess I will while it's around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

There are people who spend hundreds of dollars on baseball cards.

I think about this a lot and baseball cards (as well as a bunch of other dumb poo poo) are probably going to be worthless as soon as a significant percentage of boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil.

Hot Diggity! posted:

People are flipping poo poo as a side job with pretty much everything you can buy.

Oh I'm aware of that. What I don't understand is who is buying it.

In other news!

Sacred Bones is releasing a previously unreleased Alan Vega album with more unreleased Vega material to come.

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr271-alan-vega-mutator

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Free code I found

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that album fuckin rules and i have a similar card on my pile of codes-to-maybe-redeem-or-give-away-idk

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I think about this a lot and baseball cards (as well as a bunch of other dumb poo poo) are probably going to be worthless as soon as a significant percentage of boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil.

I had a ton of sports cards as a kid. poo poo was all from the 90's and when my mom dumped all the boxes on me a few years back I tried looking up to see if there was any value and ended up dumping them at a thrift store. (I kept my Blazers team sets though!) Now I see there is a bit of a resurgence. Same with all my He Man poo poo. Got $200 for all of it a few years back and now it would probably have got me double or triple that. Oh well. Now I am slowly selling off my significant graphic novel/comic collection. All to make room for more records. I decided at my age I can only have one dumb hobby.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CPL593H posted:

Are there really that many boomers with money, wackos like that guy on youtube, and Saudi Princes hoarding this poo poo to drive up the prices to this extreme?
Sometimes it's got to be millennials with money, because everything I own that has Jeff Rosenstock's name on it goes for foolish prices these days.

the most valuable 7" I own according to Discogs is a BTMI/Mustard Plug split that last sold for $40

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sweet! The Residents' Gingerbread Man is getting its first ever vinyl release (it was originally an interactive CD-Rom music video thingamajig). You'll really be able to feel the warmth of early '90s MIDI on that wax. :grin:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I am currently so psyched, I just picked up a Technics amp for 10$, a SA-EX310, and everything has tested out ok so far.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Sweet! The Residents' Gingerbread Man is getting its first ever vinyl release (it was originally an interactive CD-Rom music video thingamajig). You'll really be able to feel the warmth of early '90s MIDI on that wax. :grin:

Just because of your AV, are you familiar with Lamprey Systems, BTW?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

sporklift posted:

I had a ton of sports cards as a kid. poo poo was all from the 90's and when my mom dumped all the boxes on me a few years back I tried looking up to see if there was any value and ended up dumping them at a thrift store. (I kept my Blazers team sets though!) Now I see there is a bit of a resurgence. Same with all my He Man poo poo. Got $200 for all of it a few years back and now it would probably have got me double or triple that. Oh well. Now I am slowly selling off my significant graphic novel/comic collection. All to make room for more records. I decided at my age I can only have one dumb hobby.

Sports cards are kind of bizarre because stuff from before the 80s is still actually pricy, and the market for current cards got nuts especially during COVID. The 80s-90s cards are still relatively cheap, things like the Ken Griffey Jr rookie or the Bill Ripken "gently caress Face" card can be gotten for $15-$20, but today's market seems more like the sneaker market to me, mostly speculation. Sure you have some 2021 1/1 Mike Trout, but if there are 100 other 1/1 Mike Trouts this year, is that card really that special? I'm just salty because I like picking up a few boxes each year and ripping packs and looking at the guys rather than searching for hits or trying to make money.

Also I might be the idiot with more money than sense, as I bought 3 Ryo Fukui albums from France for $150 rather than get them for $50-$55 apiece off of Light in the Attic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I think for the most part the baseball card heyday has already long passed, but I think that the kind of baseball cards that are still collectible today because of rarity or significance, whatever, will continue to be collectible into the future. Same with comic books. I used to read all the price guides as a kid in the early 90s and get excited at how much my moon knight comics were worth, but the numbers were probably phony back then and now all that stuff is worth less than face value, except for the genuinely collectible stuff that will survive trends. I mean, if anything you would think that marvel comics would be worth more now considering how it’s in the zeitgeist, but 99% of it is trash.

In short: discogs says my record collection is worth way more than it actually is.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sports cards are actually more popular than they've ever been. People line up at stores just for a chance to get something on restock day. Nothing stays on the shelves. It's a bubble that will burst eventually though. Prices of basketball especially are through the roof. $5 Kobe rookies are $500+

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A friend bought a basketball card for $800 two years ago and just sold it for around $65,000

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

lament.cfg posted:

A friend bought a basketball card for $800 two years ago and just sold it for around $65,000

I hope it was that one that had the Menendez brothers on it. They’re just chilling in some courts side seats watching the game.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Baseball cards and comic books from the 90s are worthless because they were all overproduced. Basically what happened is that some Wall Street scumbags saw some 1940s comic books and poo poo get sold for large sums of money at auction and then there was this boom where the big two just printed massive amounts of poo poo with multiple covers and blah blah blah. There were also a lot of indie publishers that popped up and were gone as fast as they came onto the scene. The whole thing was such a clusterfuck that it bankrupted Marvel Comics.

Moe_Rahn posted:

Sometimes it's got to be millennials with money, because everything I own that has Jeff Rosenstock's name on it goes for foolish prices these days.

the most valuable 7" I own according to Discogs is a BTMI/Mustard Plug split that last sold for $40

I'm talking about baseball cards specifically though I'm sure it'll be other poo poo. Millennials who by some miracle have money aren't buying that crap but indie rock is hip and vinyl records are in.

BigFactory posted:

In short: discogs says my record collection is worth way more than it actually is.

It is for now. We're still in that bubble.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I only do hockey cards because I am a dumb idiot who hates money, but sports cards have definitely shifted from collectibles to investments. Even some of the junk wax era products that were overproduced have gained value for pristine condition copies from grading companies. Unless the sport itself ends, the cards will remain valuable (although not as insane as they are now) as the history grows.

In that vein, I’m kind of surprised nobody has made a company to grade vinyl. Just throw out arbitrary numbers out of ten and get people to pay a gently caress ton for “perfect” copies of Journey albums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

In that vein, I’m kind of surprised nobody has made a company to grade vinyl. Just throw out arbitrary numbers out of ten and get people to pay a gently caress ton for “perfect” copies of Journey albums.

This is basically what that red hot stamper guy does.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

lament.cfg posted:

about 10 years ago I was on a bus in Long Beach, CA. Behind me sat two people who I am sure were mentally disabled. They had a binder of baseball cards and said, "these cards are the key to our happiness." At the time I thought it was funny and a little sad, but now I have no idea.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Schremp Howard posted:

"Sorry, this record is the lowest grade possible, a 9.5 excellent+"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Getting your vinyl graded and slabbed. It’s coming.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Schremp Howard posted:

I only do hockey cards because I am a dumb idiot who hates money, but sports cards have definitely shifted from collectibles to investments. Even some of the junk wax era products that were overproduced have gained value for pristine condition copies from grading companies. Unless the sport itself ends, the cards will remain valuable (although not as insane as they are now) as the history grows.

There already is a grading scale for vinyl, so it would be hard. And those grading companies are basically scams, but you know, it comes with the industry. But starting one for vinyl would be tough because you already have a system everybody uses.

The other challenge is that grading vinyl is a little more in depth than grading a card. A journey record is 40 minutes. And you have to listen to all 40 to make sure the record is flawless.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Cemetry Gator posted:

There already is a grading scale for vinyl, so it would be hard. And those grading companies are basically scams, but you know, it comes with the industry. But starting one for vinyl would be tough because you already have a system everybody uses.

The other challenge is that grading vinyl is a little more in depth than grading a card. A journey record is 40 minutes. And you have to listen to all 40 to make sure the record is flawless.
And by listening to it, reduce its grading. A conundrum for sure.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm gonna start some sort of tracking service for how many times you play your records so the boomer types that insist they sound like trash after like 30 plays will know when they're getting a true low mileage white hot stamper of Breakfast In America

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh yeah it's absolutely a scam and have their own issues, but the market definitely respects them. One of the most iconic sports cards is the Michael Jordan Fleer Rookie from 1986. Ungraded (raw) it sells for about $200-300 even if its authenticity is unknown. A PSA graded 1 can hit $2-3000. A card graded 7 can command $10,000, an 8 $14-15000, a 9 $50,000, and a perfect 10 $200,000. As you mentioned vinyl already has its own system that is accepted by the community, but you also have a ton of people who don't have a clue what they're doing when rating their collection and putting it up for sale. Gotta believe that someone would pay extraordinary amounts for something that's been rated by a third party for both authenticity and quality, especially if it's a rare record or early pressing to begin with.

Certainly not advocating it or anything, just surprised you don't have some company trying to quantify it beyond the keywords of "minor" or "slight" that leaves something in the eye of the beholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I imagine there's quite a few challenges.

First off, records are more popular than baseball cards. Like, even if you're really into baseball, you might not give a drat about the cards. But records? There are plenty of people with a passing interest in vinyl. That's why you have vinyl at Walmart and Target.

So if you want to sell a baseball card, you need to have it graded. It makes a huge change in the value. Your buyers are more limited, and thus, more selective.

But if you want to sell a record - it's easy. If I died, I could call up my local record store, and they could take my records off my hands and sell most of them in a reasonable time frame.

So if you're a seller, why bother. Sure, maybe you could sell your Journey record for 1000 bucks. But that will cost you time and money. On the other hand, you could also sell it for 10 pretty quickly. That's the one accurate thing about Pawn Stars. The top price is something you're not just going to get without a bit of luck and a lot of work - unless you have something people really want.