Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I, Butthole posted:

https://theavalanchesstore.com/

Since I Left You is getting a 4xLP re-release, finally. It's...expensive as gently caress, though. I'm guessing they finally cleared all the samples and the cost is commensurate to that.

jesus christ sold out already I hate this hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I just started The Weird Al show with my almost 6 year old and my 2.5 year old. The appeal of Al is timeless. They are both fully on board.

On topic: over the past few weeks I grabbed:
- Alabaster Deplume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1 (this is *incredible*)
- 75 Dollar Bill Little Big Band - Live at Tubby's
- Ryley Walker and Kikagaku Moyo - Deep Fried Grandeur
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
- The Microphones - Don't Wake Me Up
- The Microphones - Foghorn Tape
- Mount Eerie - Sauna
- Eric's Trip - Forever Again
- The Mountain Goats - Songs for Pierre Chuvin

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

The Walrus posted:

jesus christ sold out already I hate this hobby

I adore SILY as much as anyone but did you (this applies to anyone) really need to pay $125+ for a copy of it?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
$125 that's loving criminal

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's only 17.25 hours of work at minimum wage, totally worth it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The deluxe edition with no other things was 60 bucks - it sold out in an hour or so

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hot Diggity! posted:

$125 that's loving criminal

That just makes it all the more special to both of the people who bought it to actually listen to it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I ended up buying the 2 LP version for 40 bucks on amazon, probably a better call anyway. Does that version have all the samples as well?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've bought a ton of records and poo poo lately, but I don't think I've paid more than $60 for an individual album. Haven't recently posted about them because I've been too lazy to take pics, and am working my way through a thrift store haul from last Friday. So far with the thrift store records I've been suckered by a Hare Krishna record and discovered I can't stand Mott the Hoople. Listened to my Johnny Guitar Watson records as well and he's alright in my book.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just bought an original mono pressing of Coltranes ‘Ballads’ because it’s one of my favorites and an OP was always on my “bucket list” to own.

We all got issues

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm mostly interested in early to mid 2000s IDM and like 75% of the records I am interested go for some obscene amount. Of course, my favorite album of all time is like $500. Oh well, I guess it's fun to dream!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

I just bought an original mono pressing of Coltranes ‘Ballads’ because it’s one of my favorites and an OP was always on my “bucket list” to own.

We all got issues

Was it expensive?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Alas I am owned, my knowledge of early Weird Al is pretty terrible and mostly limited to the In 3D album, because Nature Trail to Hell is one of my favorite songs for no good reason.

Over the years this has become my favorite as well. Such a great song.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

Was it expensive?

$120 for a VG --> VG+ ish copy. I'll put it through the squeaky clean a time or two before spinning (and eventually a trip through an ultrasonic cleaner).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

$120 for a VG --> VG+ ish copy. I'll put it through the squeaky clean a time or two before spinning (and eventually a trip through an ultrasonic cleaner).

Sweet

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I've bought a ton of records and poo poo lately, but I don't think I've paid more than $60 for an individual album. Haven't recently posted about them because I've been too lazy to take pics, and am working my way through a thrift store haul from last Friday. So far with the thrift store records I've been suckered by a Hare Krishna record and discovered I can't stand Mott the Hoople. Listened to my Johnny Guitar Watson records as well and he's alright in my book.

For all David Bowie loved about them, you'd feel that Mott the Hoople would have had more good songs than they did. The Hoople is their best overall album and it's only so-so.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

For all David Bowie loved about them, you'd feel that Mott the Hoople would have had more good songs than they did. The Hoople is their best overall album and it's only so-so.

Of course he loved them, he wrote their best songs. Is anyone getting the disco elysium origami jacket edition? I don't even like messing with triple gatefolds that thing looks like a nightmare

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

gently caress it is that album too. I disliked it so much I didn't even bother to flip it over. It sounds stupid but it was too shouty over typical 1970s rock, like the lead singer's yelling wasn't musical enough for me. Thank Christ Queen went on to become the enduring classic band and not Hoople. As an aside wikipedia says Hoople is a glam rock group and thanks to the RSD list getting posted I've discovered anothr British glam rock band, Sweet, and rather like their schtick better. ITT we are picky about lovely 70s rock now.

wa27 posted:

Over the years this has become my favorite as well. Such a great song.

:hellyeah:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

thetan_guy42 posted:

Of course he loved them, he wrote their best songs. Is anyone getting the disco elysium origami jacket edition? I don't even like messing with triple gatefolds that thing looks like a nightmare

oh man, that looks sweet as all hell. I'm really digging the gently caress out of the game and glad there is a standard edition which upon inspection isn't missing anything audio-wise.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Usually when I sing All The Young Dudes I change the lyrics to be Sending Out Nudes. This is as close as I can get to enjoying weird al.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress it is that album too. I disliked it so much I didn't even bother to flip it over. It sounds stupid but it was too shouty over typical 1970s rock, like the lead singer's yelling wasn't musical enough for me. Thank Christ Queen went on to become the enduring classic band and not Hoople. As an aside wikipedia says Hoople is a glam rock group and thanks to the RSD list getting posted I've discovered anothr British glam rock band, Sweet, and rather like their schtick better. ITT we are picky about lovely 70s rock now.

Yeah but what about Slade?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Sweet is pretty good.

I went into an antiques/thrift store today that had a bunch of records, but most of it was garbage and the stuff that wasn’t was expensive. They had a copy of the Head soundtrack that I might go back and get, but it was disappointing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but what about Slade?

Haven't heard of them so there's time to explore and fall further into the glam rock trap.

BigFactory posted:

Sweet is pretty good.

I went into an antiques/thrift store today that had a bunch of records, but most of it was garbage and the stuff that wasn’t was expensive. They had a copy of the Head soundtrack that I might go back and get, but it was disappointing.

I lucked into a collection dump of the 70s, but some was water damaged and too scratched and it was sandwiched around a lot of country singers I haven't heard of. The ones I did pick up aren't super mint but they seem to work well enough. Gimme a bit and I can present you all supreme disappointment in three pictures though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
a double post, but I now present... Supreme Disappointment

Yes I looked through all the loose records, and yes I bought it for 99c solely to have the jacket hang around on display in my basement. My only other consolation is the custom sleeve artwork:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Haven't heard of them so there's time to explore and fall further into the glam rock trap.

I lucked into a collection dump of the 70s, but some was water damaged and too scratched and it was sandwiched around a lot of country singers I haven't heard of. The ones I did pick up aren't super mint but they seem to work well enough. Gimme a bit and I can present you all supreme disappointment in three pictures though.

They did the original not lovely version of Cum* On Feel the Noize. They also wore the most ridiculous outfits. The singer usually wore a top hat covered in the circular mirrors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_ozjAu_vM

This clip is an actual live performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTk5poAa1c

*Hehehehehehe

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

a double post, but I now present... Supreme Disappointment

Yes I looked through all the loose records, and yes I bought it for 99c solely to have the jacket hang around on display in my basement. My only other consolation is the custom sleeve artwork:

That both sucks and is amazing

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Whelp I'm at the point where I think it's time to replace the needle that came with the AT-LP120 that I bought two years ago. My old favorite was the Shure M97x but I know that got discontinued a while ago. Any recommendations on something similar in price and quality?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Whelp I'm at the point where I think it's time to replace the needle that came with the AT-LP120 that I bought two years ago. My old favorite was the Shure M97x but I know that got discontinued a while ago. Any recommendations on something similar in price and quality?

Shure probably makes a compatible stylus. I have the Audio Technica 440MLa and they "discontinued" it and the stylus but what they really did was just rebrand it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Shure probably makes a compatible stylus. I have the Audio Technica 440MLa and they "discontinued" it and the stylus but what they really did was just rebrand it.

What was the rebrand? Mine’s a 440 MLb, which had just been discontinued when I bought it in 2017.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

What was the rebrand? Mine’s a 440 MLb, which had just been discontinued when I bought it in 2017.

The stylus that replaces the 440 series is VMN40ML.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

The stylus that replaces the 440 series is VMN40ML.

gently caress me, I paid $70 for that Shure in 2015 and thought I was getting ripped off at the time. There's nothing decent for under $200 in 2021 is there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

gently caress me, I paid $70 for that Shure in 2015 and thought I was getting ripped off at the time. There's nothing decent for under $200 in 2021 is there.

To be fair, mine was $200 new. It’s a nice cart.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Ballz posted:

I'm a fan of the Ortofon 2M Blue. It has a really nice well rounded sound that's not too bassy and not too hollow. You can get them pre-mounted on a headshell or mount it yourself, depending on preference.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

beeker posted:

I'm a fan of the Ortofon 2M Blue. It has a really nice well rounded sound that's not too bassy and not too hollow. You can get them pre-mounted on a headshell or mount it yourself, depending on preference.

I have the 2M Red (a bit cheaper) and I like the sounds it makes.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’ve got the Blue as well and like it. Though it rides *incredibly* low, to the point that in constantly paranoid I misbalanced it. Googling shows other people’s rides that low as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I bought the AT 440MLa because it was a good deal for what it is. What I didn't know is that the stylus costs the came thing as the cart.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I found the lower end ortofon carts to be too bright and lack bass. I preferred the Nagaoka mp-110 around that price range. Higher and I’d go audio technica. I have a VM540ML ($249 msrp) and I think it sounds amazing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I have a ortofon red mostly because they're everywhere and I don't have to jump through hoops to get one like the old discontinued shure that was on mine. Cant speak to the quality of the sound as I still haven't replaced the dying reciever which is the bigger issue.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Red is good, Blue is marginally better.

I’ve got a Grado Gold3 Prestige on mine currently. Might be overkill for your setup but if you were ever to upgrade your TT in the future it would be a good change over from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253418591117

It was "only" £135 after some sort of coupon when I bought it three years ago, but this is what I use and it's really good. Not sure I'd pay 50% more for it though.