Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Extremely cool way to spend over $400 on records in one go.

Guess I’ll cancel that Amazon order now that hasn’t shipped yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Glad I didn't ever get into Mars Volta, because those are some straight up bullshit prices. Sucks when bands scalp their own fanbase.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Believe it or not those were close to the prices they were originally when they released years ago. Because shipping was tacked onto the price it’s a bit more but it’s not far off from the release price. With that said it’s still very cost prohibitive but I still bought Goliath because that’s the only album I don’t have from this band and have wanted it for awhile but not enough to pay $250+ in resale.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Enos Cabell posted:

Glad I didn't ever get into Mars Volta, because those are some straight up bullshit prices. Sucks when bands scalp their own fanbase.

My Mars Volta boxset is finally out for delivery today. I'm a bit salty that they announced these before many people even have the insanely priced box set. I don't exactly regret my purchase, but it was heavily driven by finally having Deloused and the Deloused demos. I've already got Tremulant, Frances, Bedlam, and Amputechture. Not including the Frances the Mute single was a weird choice.

That said, those prices are insane.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phish (yeah yeah, I know) did the same thing a few years back with their reissues at $50-60 a pop. Seems targeted to the speculator market and not to the fan that wants to listen to some music while looking at a cool album cover.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

Believe it or not those were close to the prices they were originally when they released years ago. Because shipping was tacked onto the price it’s a bit more but it’s not far off from the release price. With that said it’s still very cost prohibitive but I still bought Goliath because that’s the only album I don’t have from this band and have wanted it for awhile but not enough to pay $250+ in resale.

Pretty sure when I bought OG Deloused at my local shop back then it was just a normally priced record. I did end up selling it for a hundredish bucks I think. gently caress paying $65 for that poo poo.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
TMV should at least be buying you guys a drink or two before loving you so hard

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Pretty sure when I bought OG Deloused at my local shop back then it was just a normally priced record. I did end up selling it for a hundredish bucks I think. gently caress paying $65 for that poo poo.

I never saw a deloused in the wild with the original price, but I do specifically remember a trip to Berkeley with friends back in high school and being broke as poo poo (no job at the time) with just enough money to buy a copy of Frances at Amoeba, but deciding not to and getting lunch/chipping in for gas instead. Always regretted it, but I remember it being around $50 at the time.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I feel partly annoyed at the high price, but at the same time I feel like $60 is actually pretty reasonable for a record like Deloused, which is one of my favorites of all time. I imagine I will listen to it hundreds of times over my lifetime and it's the cost of a medium-price dinner for two. Could it be cheaper, and is the label gouging fans? Maybe. But I think it's a fine price to own some art that I really cherish.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
$60+ for a new regular old double LP is ridiculous no matter what music is in the grooves

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

$60+ for a new regular old double LP is ridiculous no matter what music is in the grooves

How about $85 for a “limited edition” Taylor Swift double Lp?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Taytay better come over and give your balls a quick tug for that much

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Taytay better come over and give your balls a quick tug for that much

I don’t think that is part of the package. Records are just overpriced.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Some records are overpriced. But really, can you blame these artists? If I could sell my double LP for $30 and it sells out or I can sell it for $65 or $85 and it still sells out, which is it gonna be? Nobody needs any of this and artists gotta eat too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Some records are overpriced. But really, can you blame these artists? If I could sell my double LP for $30 and it sells out or I can sell it for $65 or $85 and it still sells out, which is it gonna be? Nobody needs any of this and artists gotta eat too

No, that’s exactly why records are overpriced. It’s cause it’s what people are willing to pay. If there’s no demand for a record it’s cheaper to begin with or gets sent into the bargain bin pretty quickly. There’s tons and tons of demand right now in general and limited supply, so prices go up. Econ 101.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mars Volta sucks, they have maybe one good song per album, and those dudes are just huffing their own farts--~experimental~--nah it's just racket bro

At the Drive-in is what's up

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

No, that’s exactly why records are overpriced. It’s cause it’s what people are willing to pay. If there’s no demand for a record it’s cheaper to begin with or gets sent into the bargain bin pretty quickly. There’s tons and tons of demand right now in general and limited supply, so prices go up. Econ 101.

If it's selling out then how can it be overpriced?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

The San Francisco housing market theory of life.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I got De-Loused when it was first released.

I guess it's not worth £££ anymore?

Don't even listen to it, hah!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dead Goon posted:

I got De-Loused when it was first released.

I guess it's not worth £££ anymore?

Don't even listen to it, hah!

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/224568?ev=rb

looks like it could fetch a pretty penny, but the wide release hasnt hit (not until July) so we wont see much fluctuations on the original pressing until then, but even then there are still collectors out there who wait for reissues to snag an original as the price falls.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
some things came in

anyone want to try their luck with a ten year old download code?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Was that an order from Fire Records? They sent me that Opossom album free on an order a couple years back. Still haven't listened to it though.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
not directly, it was a an old promo from a record shop here.

it's p good, blue meanies is the best song imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4S02HksLFs

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

My vaporwave records are going to put my kids through college, watch. They’re lined up right on the 10 year fad cycle.

edit: just staring at my kallax

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 7, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Banano posted:

some things came in

I’ve been seeing that around, the album art makes my loving skin crawl.

Yay, trypophobia.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Mars Volta sucks, they have maybe one good song per album, and those dudes are just huffing their own farts--~experimental~--nah it's just racket bro

At the Drive-in is what's up

I would kill for Relationship of Command to be repressed. I love TMV and ATDI equally. Depends on what mood I'm in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tag yr pomegranates grapefruit

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

Taylor Swift got where she is because she has rich parents and she's probably got tens of millions of dollars from her own career by this point. I'm not exactly going to weep for her if she has to take a slight pay cut in royalties. If some little noise rock band from bumfuck nowhere can charge 15 bucks for an LP they had to fund entirely by themselves, not a single thing coming out of a big label/from a major artist needs to cost anywhere near the amount of money you see these things going for. It's nothing other than pure greed.

That said, if we're playing devil's advocate the prices are probably more in the hands of the label than the performers but I still don't exactly think Harry Styles is going to wind up on the streets if his album costs 20 bucks instead of 40.

Or to put it another way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQuBxdMNLQ

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That theorerical little noise rock band would charge more for their LPs if they could, but nobody is buying it at that price. Music is priced at what the market will bear, that's capitalism. This isn't altruism, it's their job.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

That theorerical little noise rock band would charge more for their LPs if they could, but nobody is buying it at that price. Music is priced at what the market will bear, that's capitalism. This isn't altruism, it's their job.

Eh, I don't entirely disagree there but that can be more of a case by case basis. Some people are just happy to sell their poo poo and have people who actually like their music. I doubt very much too many local bands are making a living off of their music or selling LPs on bandcamp or at their shows. My whole point is I don't have a any sympathy for multimillionaires having to be very, very, very slightly less rich and price gouging is price gouging.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I agree but just the same - it's not really price gouging. Nobody needs a Taylor Swift album. If you do and you think it's worth $85 or whatever (without the ball tug) then go nuts. Vote with that wallet.

E: and for every Fugazi that's doing it for the art or whatever and keeps their prices for music and shows as low as possible, there's a million other bands that just want to pay the rent

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
By that logic, the concept of price gouging doesn’t exist. Just reframe it and suddenly it’s OK to pay $65 for a record :)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

It is Bandcamp Friday my dudes.

I snagged this one. Some psychedelic cumbia stuff. They are a local band I have seen a few times. Pretty mindblowing live. At one show
Esperanza Spalding jumped up on stage and played bass on a song which was cool.

https://savila.bandcamp.com/album/mayahuel

edit: and this one from the same label as Mdou Moctar

https://lesfillesdeillighadad.bandcamp.com/album/eghass-malan

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 8, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Barry posted:

Because it’s bad :cawg:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

edit: and this one from the same label as Mdou Moctar

https://lesfillesdeillighadad.bandcamp.com/album/eghass-malan

Hey thanks i read about them in the Maggot Brain, boughted a copy. As well as the Savila.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

The issue is that the major label music industry took a colossal dump at the turn of the century (mostly because they had been price gouging for a decade and alternatives to buying overpriced CDs turned up) and it’s never really recovered. Vinyl LP interest in the last couple of years is a little life jacket for them, and records still usually far undersell CDs and digital downloads, it’s just that people are willing to pay inflated prices for them. CDs are still $15-20 and record companies know they can’t get away with charging more than that.

It’s like when CDs first came out and were 3x as expensive as records, and everyone said the prices would come down once there was more of a footprint in the marketplace, but 10 years later CDs were the dominant media and the prices never came down. A CD didnt cost any more to make than a record at that point.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vinyl outsold CDs in the US last year

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

lament.cfg posted:

Vinyl outsold CDs in the US last year

Exactly. Vinyl outsold cds in raw dollars, cds moved more units. It’s price gouging.

38% more new CDs were sold in 2020 than new records in terms of units moved. (And combined neither media had very impressive numbers compared to 10 or 20 years ago)

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 8, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Exactly. Vinyl outsold cds in raw dollars, cds moved more units. It’s price gouging.

38% more new CDs were sold in 2020 than new records in terms of units moved. (And combined neither media had very impressive numbers compared to 10 or 20 years ago)

Meanwhile, subscriptions to Amazon Music have probably gone through the roof, and a whole lot of people are listening to irradiated nutritional goo rather than deal with the fuss of all these hard goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Meanwhile, subscriptions to Amazon Music have probably gone through the roof, and a whole lot of people are listening to irradiated nutritional goo rather than deal with the fuss of all these hard goods.

Absolutely. Album sales of any kind are completely in the toilet compared to 10 or 20 years ago. It’s kind of novel that people are buying records now, but if you add record, CD, and digital download sales together it’s nothing compared to CD sales in the 90s. Total albums sold isn’t even something anyone cares about anymore. Week 1 sales count for something, charting and streaming stats count for something, I bet pre-sale metrics are important, and I’m sure LP sales matter in some context because the profit margin is so high. My guess is digital sales have a way higher profit margin, though.