Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

You mean fun?

It was fun! You could tell that the artists or at least the labels put some thought into it. And you could walk out with a bunch of stuff for $60 or so. Now that buys you two things sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I do want zevon. I don’t want to gently caress with that line bullshit again. Maybe the proprietor of my town’s record store will just hold it for me. Not betting on it.

Of course, RSD is actually in a human friendly month this time, so maybe? I swear to god I want to actually literally not a figure of speech murder* the poo poo out the sociopath who decided that March and November are the months to stand in line.

*not literally murder

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Reminder that if the RSD management finds out that a record store is doing something wild like holding an RSD release for a regular who requested it, they will cut that store out of future RSD supplies and involvement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

It was fun! You could tell that the artists or at least the labels put some thought into it. And you could walk out with a bunch of stuff for $60 or so. Now that buys you two things sometimes.

Oh I remember. The whole thing was ruined as soon as the labels found out about a handful of price speculators on ebay. The Newbury Comics in my area had to create an all sales final policy on RSD stuff because too many people were buying a bunch of crap and when nobody on ebay would buy it they'd return it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The biggest store near me has a limit of one copy per customer which has helped cut down on scalpers swooping in.

I've only gotten in line for one RSD I think 5 years ago and felt it was a waste of time. Now I just stroll in later in the day and see what's left. That's how I picked up a Sugar Ray rerelease. Lol

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 11, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've also noticed that record stores are putting out a lot of rare stuff they've collected between each event. Skeleton Dust Records is going to have 5 or so different Beatles bootlegs I've never seen before.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Oh I remember. The whole thing was ruined as soon as the labels found out about a handful of price speculators on ebay. The Newbury Comics in my area had to create an all sales final policy on RSD stuff because too many people were buying a bunch of crap and when nobody on ebay would buy it they'd return it.

I have fond memories of driving from one newbury comics to another on RSD to look for leftovers but now 2/3rds of them are closed. I don’t know if those are actually fond memories.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My record shop is continuing the estate sale ticket method and last time it was one copy of a record per person, so I bet that's in place as well. From now on I think I'm only going to do the 6 am line up for poo poo I really really loving want, which means I get to haul my rear end out of bed in mid July. Hence why I'm leaving tomorrow to fate and making my chance slimmer that I'll be tempted to buy a $100 box set of a pair of albums I already own.

Plus I bet there will be a billion copies of the Elton John release and you'll see them hanging out in the new records section for month afterwards. McCartney 1 was like that last time; I picked one up way after the fact to complete the trifecta and not bother wasting time finding the best used copy out of the dozen on the shelf.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

My record shop is continuing the estate sale ticket method and last time it was one copy of a record per person, so I bet that's in place as well. From now on I think I'm only going to do the 6 am line up for poo poo I really really loving want, which means I get to haul my rear end out of bed in mid July. Hence why I'm leaving tomorrow to fate and making my chance slimmer that I'll be tempted to buy a $100 box set of a pair of albums I already own.

Plus I bet there will be a billion copies of the Elton John release and you'll see them hanging out in the new records section for month afterwards. McCartney 1 was like that last time; I picked one up way after the fact to complete the trifecta and not bother wasting time finding the best used copy out of the dozen on the shelf.

Omega Music had a copy of Aquarium Drunkards Lagniappe Sessions Vol 1 RSD release sit around for a year and marked down for clearance. It's ridiculous no one bought it; one of the best covers compilations I've ever heard.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Blessed my record store are doing packet picks again. Pick upto 8 on the paper list, then pick 8 alts and they'll process, bag it, Call my number, I pay and GTFO.

All I really want is the low rider oldies comp

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I have fond memories of driving from one newbury comics to another on RSD to look for leftovers but now 2/3rds of them are closed. I don’t know if those are actually fond memories.

Most of the Newbury Comics stores got rid of all the cool poo poo and replaced it with Funko Pops. I never did the line bullshit because I was a regular at the store near me for years and years. The employees all knew me by name from me hanging out there. And they saw me buying records all the time instead of once a year. So they would just get all the poo poo I wanted and put it behind the counter until I showed up because they knew I actually wanted the poo poo to listen to it and not to scalp it. It worked great for a long time until some dipshit went around bragging about it online so there was a company wide ban on that. And yes I see the irony of me saying that online but I never told anyone about it until after they stopped doing it. Plus all the people I knew stopped working there because it sucks to work there now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That's 100 bucks less than a new U-Turn Orbit Plus or a Fluance RT-82.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ele/d/minneapolis-technics-sl-220-silver/7307823928.html

I looked the model up and it seems to be well loved. If I were to go look at this is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for for wear and tear? Does this seem like a reasonable price or am I just better off buying new and knowing that it should work out of the box?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hekk posted:

That's 100 bucks less than a new U-Turn Orbit Plus or a Fluance RT-82.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ele/d/minneapolis-technics-sl-220-silver/7307823928.html

I looked the model up and it seems to be well loved. If I were to go look at this is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for for wear and tear? Does this seem like a reasonable price or am I just better off buying new and knowing that it should work out of the box?

It’s expensive. If the dust cover is absolutely perfect and it’s in good repair, like it just got back from the shop, then sure it’s an ok price.

I don’t recognize that cartridge either. It’s probably something you will want to upgrade from eventually. The Fluance and UTurns come with solid cartridges.

It’s a good deck. I have one and used it for a long time, but I paid $40 for mine (with a broken dust cover. A good one is easily worth another $40 or $50). If you can talk them down to even $150 you might enjoy it, but also consider that you may want to spend another $100-$150 on a cartridge pretty soon.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 12, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Reminder that if the RSD management finds out that a record store is doing something wild like holding an RSD release for a regular who requested it, they will cut that store out of future RSD supplies and involvement.

No matter. Stopped in to pick up my Bungle Blu-ray/CD and they told me they’d ordered the Zevon but received zero copies. If I can somehow find it at a fair price I guess I’ll buy it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

No matter. Stopped in to pick up my Bungle Blu-ray/CD and they told me they’d ordered the Zevon but received zero copies. If I can somehow find it at a fair price I guess I’ll buy it.

I'll keep an eye open at mine but don't hold your breath. They claimed in a vid on their facebook page they got "everything" but that doesn't really mean poo poo. Everything they ordered or everything available? Who knows other than there was a pallet of boxes they were unpacking.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll keep an eye open at mine but don't hold your breath. They claimed in a vid on their facebook page they got "everything" but that doesn't really mean poo poo. Everything they ordered or everything available? Who knows other than there was a pallet of boxes they were unpacking.

That’d be awesome. I wish you well :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1403539074426806276?s=21

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, the resurgence of I checked the Japan section of my local record store, but it was all ~1950s-era "crooner" type music. Very cool, but not what I was looking for.

It's more jazz fusion, but this is my Japanese music white whale...I could afford one if I saved up, but it's hard to justify that kind of spending right now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=287930&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

It's your lucky day!

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7852-mint-jams

Also check out this rad album cover:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Big ask — if anyone sees Dirty Three - Ocean Songs deluxe at their Record Store I can venmo or PayPal you the money + shipping + some for your trouble. None of my local stores got a copy.

Read After Burning posted:

It's more jazz fusion, but this is my Japanese music white whale...I could afford one if I saved up, but it's hard to justify that kind of spending right now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=287930&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

Good news — https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7852-mint-jams?mc_cid=dfd941ff03&mc_eid=141c0cc1d1

I’ve been hoping for this as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone pick up anything good this morning? Thought about heading down later, but nothing super excited me and this was the line at my normal shop at 7am so guessing not much left now.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I half thought about the Kraftwerk 7" that was up but £12 made me laugh.

Then I looked at the Kind of Blue release and nearly choked.

RSD can gently caress right off.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm in line to get in to the RSD section of my shop. It's almost noon so I expect there ain't poo poo left. Back up option is to find a hard day's night on dvd since we've been talking beatles lately.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Got there three hours early, number 15 in line… and they didn’t order a single thing on my want list :suicide:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
ATTENTION asnorban and pwn

I got both Warren zevon and dirty three oceans in hand. Plastic wrap is ripped on dirty three but I got anyway

Edit: too much of a bitch to quote fast on mobile. Its $45 for warren and $67 for ocean before tax btw. Also also pics etc when I get back home.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 12, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol saw a video of a local RSD. Opened at 7 AM, people were lined up around the block already with camping chairs

Yeah, no thanks. Another shop I know has a phone list you had to call into prior to, and didn’t allow anyone on the premises before that time

some serious Black Friday vibes. Something about these dudes running in there at 7 AM poaching every good deal is just lame. C’est la vie with vinyl

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

also following this one store on Instagram, this dude is the quintessential Simpson’s comic book guy, lmao

I’d say posting messages potential patrons send you to social media to mock them is tacky, but it ain’t my shop. This journey has been hilarious to me, since you really meet some funny types like that. Like drat, do you want my money or not?

There’s a local audio guy that apparently can fix anything, but is a total dick, and everyone has a story of him berating an employee. There’s Reddit posts about it lol.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My local shop is still great. Got both RSD releases I wanted plus some great Used New bin stuff

That copy of Garage Days is an original AR pressing and crispy as hell. Like someone played it once and put it away.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Turbinosamente posted:

ATTENTION asnorban and pwn

I got both Warren zevon and dirty three oceans in hand. Plastic wrap is ripped on dirty three but I got anyway

Edit: too much of a bitch to quote fast on mobile. Its $45 for warren and $67 for ocean before tax btw. Also also pics etc when I get back home.

Thanks! You made my day. I’ll PM you.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asnorban posted:

Thanks! You made my day. I’ll PM you.

And responded. Welp, I got there just before the free for all at noon and was surprised that there was everything I wanted there and more. Guess they weren't kidding about getting a good haul in and what even is money anyways? Here's my poo poo:

And the goon bailout:

The line to get into the bar area where the RSD stuff is kept for the day wasn't too terrible, just down one of the aisles. Still can't fathom how all this poo poo was still there, because I've done the 6 am line up thing and I'm sure there were people there this morning doing it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dorium posted:

My local shop is still great. Got both RSD releases I wanted plus some great Used New bin stuff

That copy of Garage Days is an original AR pressing and crispy as hell. Like someone played it once and put it away.

I still have no idea how that Monk sounds compared to the version that came out last year.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

I still have no idea how that Monk sounds compared to the version that came out last year.

Yea I bought it out of curiosity. I have the other version so when it’s a little bit later in the day I’ll give it a clean and do an A/B test with them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awwwwwwww yeah. :getin:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dorium posted:

Yea I bought it out of curiosity. I have the other version so when it’s a little bit later in the day I’ll give it a clean and do an A/B test with them.

Looking forward to hearing the results! I passed on it today but if it’s a big enough difference/improvement I might see if I can nab it online.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone pick up anything good this morning? Thought about heading down later, but nothing super excited me and this was the line at my normal shop at 7am so guessing not much left now.

standing in line at 7am to catch covid and a dad rock reissue

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
drat where do you all live? The store we go to had maybe 10-12 people in line and the guy actually came out before opening and let us tell him what we wanted and he’d pull them. Otherwise everyone would be crammed around two milk crates.

Picked up the Elton John and Prince’s The Truth. Then my wife found a great condition copy of Jolene for like $15. Guy said he didn’t price it high because there’s some weird post it notes stuck to the jacket with writing from a previous owner.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Got there three hours early, number 15 in line… and they didn’t order a single thing on my want list :suicide:

Update: I went over to the store I USUALLY hit up first on RSD where I was not number 15 in line but instead… 147.

But two hours later and being told most of the good stuff was already gone I gave them my list… and they still had every album I was looking for. Apparently my taste is trash so the poo poo I want never sells out. :smug:

My haul:

The Piñata was the only thing I bought at my first stop, when I thought I wasn’t getting anything else. Everything else is from the second store. Flippers on discogs are already trying to sell that Kenny Dorham for three figures. :staredog:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 12, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ballz posted:

The Piñata was the only thing I bought at my first stop, when I thought I wasn’t getting anything else. Everything else is from the second store. Flippers on discogs are already trying to sell that Kenny Dorham for three figures. :staredog:

loving ebay flippers are real bad too cause who the gently caress is paying double for the Triumph box set? I fully admit it wasn't worth it at retail but I was a weak fan girl and bought it anyways.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Ballz posted:

Update: I went over to the store I USUALLY hit up first on RSD where I was not number 15 in line but instead… 147.

But two hours later and being told most of the good stuff was already gone I gave them my list… and they still had every album I was looking for. Apparently my taste is trash so the poo poo I want never sells out. :smug:

My haul:

That's the great thing about the more obscure stuff, 90% of people flip right past it. I almost bought that Mulatu Astatke record, if it's still in a shop next week I'll probably grab it.

I went to one shop around 2pm to see what was left. Didn't find a copy of the William Tyler release but I'm assuming it'll get rereleased at some point.

Only RSD release I grabbed is the Salah Ragab - Egypt Strut; no idea what it sounds like but I'm sure I'll dig it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

lament.cfg posted:

standing in line at 7am to catch covid and a dad rock reissue

Haha wow just noticed the lack of masks. Even vaccinated I don't think I would want to stand elbow to elbow with people like in the before times. I'm pretty sure my local shops that participate are completely picked over by now. but now I got the itch and some store credit so I might go to a smaller store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

And responded. Welp, I got there just before the free for all at noon and was surprised that there was everything I wanted there and more. Guess they weren't kidding about getting a good haul in and what even is money anyways? Here's my poo poo:

And the goon bailout:

The line to get into the bar area where the RSD stuff is kept for the day wasn't too terrible, just down one of the aisles. Still can't fathom how all this poo poo was still there, because I've done the 6 am line up thing and I'm sure there were people there this morning doing it.

I'd strongly advise you return that DVD and get the Criterion release. The Miramax DVD is dogshit. They hosed up the sound. I remember when it came out I returned two copies of it because I thought it was defective. Nope, just a lovely sound mix! Plus that release is 20 years old and the Criterion edition (also available on blu-ray!) is from a brand new restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CaptainBeefart posted:

Only RSD release I grabbed is the Salah Ragab - Egypt Strut; no idea what it sounds like but I'm sure I'll dig it.

Ooh I forgot about that one, according to YouTube its some funky Egyptian flavored jazz. I liked it some but clearly not enough to remember to buy it. I've listened to most of the poo poo I bought and probably should have skipped The Sword but oh well. Elton John and Alestorm were nice, maybe they'll sound better when I get a new cartridge. I'm half suspecting the cartridge is inexplicably borked because I switched the left and right wires at the head shell as a test and surprise, surprise, the music switched from the left to right speakers. I don't understand why an ortofon red cart should up and die like that after only a bit over a year of semi regular use though. I've ordered another for now (which will be the true test), but if you guys have any suggestions for good all around and not overly expensive cartridges they'd be most welcome, I can slap most things on my player.

CPL593H posted:

I'd strongly advise you return that DVD and get the Criterion release. The Miramax DVD is dogshit. They hosed up the sound. I remember when it came out I returned two copies of it because I thought it was defective. Nope, just a lovely sound mix! Plus that release is 20 years old and the Criterion edition (also available on blu-ray!) is from a brand new restoration.

Goddamnit :negative: