Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fyuz posted:

Today I saw a couple of Aphex Twin EPs and thought I may as well just buy them because they weren't that expensive, and I didn't want to go home empty handed anyway.

I have just put on the Come to Daddy EP, and the tracklisting is the wrong way round. Side A is actually Side B and vice versa. Right now I am listening to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, but the label says it should be Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix). After this on the record is Come to Daddy (Little Lord Faulteroy Mix), but the label says it should be Flim. On the back of the sleeve, Bucephalus is listed as the last track, but it's actually the first track on Side A. What's going on? Or is this just Aphex being Aphex?
I have this record too, and same deal with my copy. I think it's intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Pre-order is up for the new Dirty Projectors album, for those interested in that kind of thing. Comes with an 8" square vinyl with lyrics printed in loving cuneiform on the b-side.

Check it out up in here.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ribbon Music has a pre-order up for John Maus - A Collection of Rarities and Unreleased Material on translucent pink vinyl limited to 500 copies.

If you ask me, it's worth it for Castles In The Grave and Bennington alone.

I've been out of the country for the last few weeks so I didn't see this 'til now. Thanks both of ya.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DFA1979's album is on black vinyl for pre-order now. Steep shipping kinda put it out of my interest range.

http://modern-vinyl.com/youre-a-woman-im-a-machine-available-again/

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Stuntman posted:

Haha good, I thought I was going mental questioning what track was actually on, and that I might have had the track names confused for years.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Will it spoil me posted:

I interpreted that song and video to be much more about hidden meanings, or double meanings. The chorus is relatively ambiguous and it is unknown if it is "sun eyed" or "cyanide" girl, to completely different meanings. It is also Beck and even stoned it is hard to interpret.

I was probably just jumping to conclusions. Dude makes great music and apparently isn't a dick. Good on him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I stumbled into a store noticed that OFF! put out a follow up to First Four EPs. This one's an album. I really liked First Four EPs so I bought the poo poo out of the album. I figured this was worth mentioning here in case anyone else was into them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stuntman posted:

The Record Store Day release of Sigur Ros' Hvarf/Heim had a lot (I don't know if it was all of them) of copies with the labels totally mixed up between discs 1 and 2- including mine and at least one other person in this thread's. I doubt things like that are intentional, and it's not that infrequent.

Given that labels are applied either mechanically or by hand in a production line-style fashion, all it takes is feeding the wrong box into the process or grabbing the first disc upside down and you've suddenly made that the standard for an entire batch of LPs.

It's really easy to gently caress up a whole production run if one guy in the factory is wrong about what Side 1 is.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yessssssssss it's here

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

alg posted:

DFA1979's album is on black vinyl for pre-order now. Steep shipping kinda put it out of my interest range.

Yeah, once I saw almost $8 for 2-4 week shipping for US, I kinda lost interest.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

Yessssssssss it's here

Also I have an extra (sealed) copy of this (At the Drive-In - Vaya 10" on Hot Pink /3000) for sale/trade. PM me.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Record Store Day release of Sigur Ros' Hvarf/Heim had a lot (I don't know if it was all of them) of copies with the labels totally mixed up between discs 1 and 2- including mine and at least one other person in this thread's. I doubt things like that are intentional, and it's not that infrequent.

Given that labels are applied either mechanically or by hand in a production line-style fashion, all it takes is feeding the wrong box into the process or grabbing the first disc upside down and you've suddenly made that the standard for an entire batch of LPs.

It's really easy to gently caress up a whole production run if one guy in the factory is wrong about what Side 1 is.
Remember, this is Aphex Twin. Pretty much everything he does is carefully calculated to gently caress with people's minds.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I got it for $10 then sold it for even less :(

Picked up Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries and Television Personalities - ...And Don't The Kids Just Love It today. Got my Kickstarter only Black Tambourine EP the other day and it is sooo sooooo drat good.

Two great records. TVP record is probably one of my favorites, glad they got reissued by 4 men or whoever did it.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

traveling midget posted:

Yessssssssss it's here

This means mine should be coming soon along with the Farside "Rigged" reissue. Hell yes.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Not an Anthem posted:

Two great records. TVP record is probably one of my favorites, glad they got reissued by 4 men or whoever did it.

I was trying pretty hard for a while to get OG stuff if theirs on eBay, but it always got a little too pricey. Finally gave in and bought the reissue, which I usually don't do.

Today I got bored and bought:

Muslimgauze - The Unfinished Mosque
CTI - A Core International Project
Vomito Negro - Dare

I almost got Lo-Fi India Abuse by Muslimgauze instead but I figured I shouldn't be spending $30 on a record if I'm moving in a month. Oh well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, once I saw almost $8 for 2-4 week shipping for US, I kinda lost interest.

Welcome to the world of being a Canadian ordering from anywhere -- deal with it jerk.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

alg posted:

I missed out on the Record Store Day reissue but I will definitely not miss out on this. Thanks for sharing!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So there's this guy from craigslist who's selling this Beatles lot:

quote:

Yesterday and Today st2553
Something new st2108
Meet the beatles st2047
Revolver st 2576
Beatles ’65 st2228
St peppers smas 2653
Early beatles st2309
New improved st2442
Let it be#?
Abbey road apple so-383
A hard day’s night #?
HELP 2386
Beatles VI st2358
Name? songs hey jude apple sw 385
White cover back in ussr swbo 101

He's saying "give me an offer" which either means he thinks he has a goldmine and is going to want way too loving much, or he has no idea what he has, considering he called the White Album "White cover back in ussr".

Thoughts?

A handful of these are going for $15ish each on Discogs, given that I have no clue what actual pressing some of them are. I have no clue what to tell this guy.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 1, 2012

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

traveling midget posted:

He's saying "give me an offer" which either means he thinks he has a goldmine and is going to want way too loving much, or he has no idea what he has, considering he called the White Album "White cover back in ussr".

Thoughts?

A handful of these are going for $15ish each on Discogs, given that I have no clue what actual pressing some of them are. I have no clue what to tell this guy.

Stay well away from it.

You don't know the pressings on several and you don't know the condition of the vinyl or covers or inserts. And if he's one of these guys who doesn't know what he has, he does know it's The Beatles. It's been my experience with collecting anything that if it's something very well-known and nostalgic, the seller automatically assumes that anything associated with it must be worth money.

Only if this were a singer/group not well-known in the US, say Tyrannosaurus Rex, would I even consider this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Remember, the Beatles are incredibly common, and since the prefix is ST, that means it is the stereo versions, which means they are even more common. You could have a collection like my mom's, which is mostly Apple records repressings, which lowers the value a fair bit.

In fact, with the exception of the later albums (maybe starting with Magical Mystery Tour), the only original pressings my mom has are all mono.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Look what turned up today.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I don't think there's a more appropriate turntable for that disc. That looks awesome.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Duckula posted:

Look what turned up today.

gently caress, that looks good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

How does it sound?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

How does it sound?

Dude, spoiler alert.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

traveling midget posted:

Thoughts?

Any idea which cover Yesterday and Today is? The stereo version of that is actually less common than the mono version, and although it's a slim chance, if it's the butcher cover it's worth a few hundred bucks (or more, depending on the condition)

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Does anyone know the best place to sell a rare record without getting ripped off? I don't have a large collection but having been buying since the early 2000's. I have about 6 or 7 rare/OOP items that seem to be going for quite a lot of money on Amazon and Ebay but I'm not sure if selling them there is the best option.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The Botanicla Soundtrack is out on vinyl. Same people who made Samorost and Machinarium (the latter also having a vinyl release for the soundtrack). One of the most charming point-and-click games, and the music plays a huge part in the atmosphere. Just got an email this morning with a picture of the actual discs. I pre-ordered the amber colored one, and glad I did. Kind of reminds me of múm.

http://www.minorityrecords.com/store/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Has anyone heard about whether HEALTH's Max Payne 3 OST was getting a vinyl release?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

Does anyone know the best place to sell a rare record without getting ripped off? I don't have a large collection but having been buying since the early 2000's. I have about 6 or 7 rare/OOP items that seem to be going for quite a lot of money on Amazon and Ebay but I'm not sure if selling them there is the best option.

Discogs is a good option. Your records might sit on there for a bit but there's no listing fee that I'm aware of.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Can anyone with the recent Acid Bath releases confirm that they sound like poo poo?

The treble is high to the point that I have to wonder what they were thinking releasing them like that...

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Blendy posted:

Discogs is a good option. Your records might sit on there for a bit but there's no listing fee that I'm aware of.

Thank you. This seems like the best option.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's always SA Mart.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
There's a new vinyl sale service called Vinyl Loop that is selling new albums by The Walkmen, Tallest Man On Earth, and The Mynabirds for $15 free shipping + a bonus free LP.

On an unrelated note, how hot does it have to be temp wise for vinyl to warp. The upstairs AC died and it's like 86 degrees there where my vinyl is, but I read that moving it to a drastic temp change (downstairs) could do more damage. Thoughts?

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

There's always SA Mart.

I considered that but my girlfriend is going to be handling it. She doesn't have an account here and thinks Discogs is the way to go for now. If anyone is looking for a copy of Before These Crowded Streets by Dave Matthews Band, she has it listed at $400 right now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I went and got a copy of Fly By Night by Rush yesterday, and it has a small but really bad warp on the edge that makes side 1 pretty much unplayable, and side 2 skips about 1 second for each 2 or 3 seconds it plays. Is there any way to fix this (I know the OP says no but I wanted to ask anyway) or should I just see if I can take it back?

Also got Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings and Fragile by Yes which play like a dream :allears:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Peacebone posted:

There's a new vinyl sale service called Vinyl Loop that is selling new albums by The Walkmen, Tallest Man On Earth, and The Mynabirds for $15 free shipping + a bonus free LP.

This is awesome. Thank you.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Peacebone posted:

On an unrelated note, how hot does it have to be temp wise for vinyl to warp. The upstairs AC died and it's like 86 degrees there where my vinyl is, but I read that moving it to a drastic temp change (downstairs) could do more damage. Thoughts?

My collection of thousands has survived many 108+ degree days. Some days I would go in there and turn the air conditioning on (It's set at 60). From experience I'd say pressure from improper storage does more damage.

(Temperature converted to wacky antipodal scale for your convenience)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This release is so good, I'm glad I didn't wait for the $texas Mondo release.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Best birthday ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I'm trying to keep my out for a turntable on craigslist but they are so many and I know absolutely nothing about any of this. I stumbled across my dad's record collection the other day and thought it'd be nice to pick up a turntable but I don't want to waste my money on a "good deal" only to have to turn around and buy a new one later.

Is it better to just get something new in the mid-range, or are there specific models that are easy to find/cheap/reliable?