Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

What's up vinyl thread. I have a few 12' LPs that I've acquired over the years, and I recently was given a Magnavox stereo similar to this one:

There are a few differences between this one and mine, most prominently a vertical (!) CD player and a plastic, hinged cover for the turntable.

Is this thing worth a drat sound-wise, or should I invest in a standalone table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ok, so no dice on the Magnavox. No harm done or money spent. Does anyone have any opinion on the Audio Technica AT-PL50 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL50-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00006HO3O)?

I could ask the other thread, but as many opinions as possible are good with such things.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

forgot about RSD until like an hour ago. A used bookstore down the street from where I live has a decent collection, so I thought I'd check it out. There were like half a dozen people there for it. Good poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

If anyone is interested, Ship to Shore PhonoCo. (my goon run label) has just put up our Manos: The Hands of Fate LP for pre-order on red/black swirl "The Master" vinyl at http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/13817541-manos-the-hands-of-fate.

preordered for the red/black swirl

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mulva posted:

Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe

got this, thanks man

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

You have all already dragged that guy for pissing away his money on audiophile poo poo, but it's unlikely that I could tell the difference between his stuff and my AT-LP120, lovely old SX780, and bookshelf speakers.

Spending money on equipment rather than records is insane to me. Also the new Run the Jewels came in yesterday and is good.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BigFactory posted:

You would definitely be able to tell the difference between nice tower speakers with horns and your bookshelf speakers. It would be night and day. And I don’t know if your receiver could drive those speakers. I doubt it.

Fair enough. Reading this, I suppose I'd notice the difference, but that's not where I place value in the hobby at the end of the day.

wa27 posted:

I will not stand for this characterization of the best receiver ever.

You misunderstand! My SX780 lovely. It's missing knobs and overheats and I gave 30 bucks for it 10 years ago, but it still sounds good.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

marjorie posted:

Hahaha I hadn't been here very long! I've since put in a larger mailbox, though. And I did call about that incident - made it clear I wasn't asking for any sort of compensation, just wanted to make sure it didn't happen again, and it hasn't in almost 3 years!

Speaking from a similar experience, USPS station managers and postmasters are more than willing to chew mail carrier rear end. Bring them a behavioral problem and they’ll fix it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mt. Modular posted:

Re: vinyl subscription services, I’d like to suggest Vinyl.Post (https://www.vinylpost.co/). Every month you get a postcard-sized flexi featuring a song from some obscure band. And it’s cheap!

I’ve had it for a few months now and I have yet to get a song that I disliked. It leans heavily towards indie-pop material, so if you’re into that, you’re golden.

This is really cool. It's kind of curious that flexis haven't made a huge comeback overall honestly.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I think it was eventually found to be overhyped bullshit. I ran across an audiophile's blog once where he got the PS1 and compared it to his other CD players and he found it no better or worse.

IIRC, the thought behind the idea is that the first edition of the PS1 was a high quality product that was affordable due to economics of scale. So, you could theoretically get an audiophile-grade machine for a couple of hundred bucks new.

I'm sure it's no better or worse than any comparable player. I think I learned all this by trying to figure out what "jitter" was. I still don't know.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

They had 3.5 good albums and it's been mediocrity ever since.

This is being VERY generous.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which part more so?

I was referring to the 3.5 good albums, but I guess mediocrity is overselling a lot of their output too now that I think about it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

If it’s actually in downtown Knoxville proper, selling it out won’t be that big of an ask. There’s not a tremendous amount of space there, indoors or outdoors. So Bonnaroo it ain’t.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Sorry guys for setting off a stream of bad posting yesterday. In accordance with thrift chat and owing to the fact I haven't seen a Herb Alpert album in the wild in months have some factoids I accidentally stumbled into today: apparently, depending on which internet listicle you go by he's fallen from 4th richest musician in the world to 6th at a mere worth of $900 million. And as far as I can tell his fortune is from his insane popularity in the 60s (he outsold the Beatles one year) as well as being the A in A&M Records.

Not too shabby for one of our dependable bargain/thrift store bin pals.

I don’t know if this has been covered since Herb Alpert is an evergreen topic, but when my grandma died a couple of years ago, I got her record collection, such as it was. Mainly stuff from the 60’s like Christmas compilations, pre-hippy Willie Nelson, and so forth. And sure enough, Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Now, my grandparents were not “cool” people. They were very much in the tradition of June and Ward Cleaver, so the Alpert record struck me as interesting or at least a little out of place. When I asked my mom about it, she remembered that there used to be a bunch of record of the month clubs, and apparently Whipped Cream showed up in a lot of them a bunch. Kind of makes sense why it’s so omnipresent in old peoples’ collections.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I subscribed to the Third Man vault for like a year there around the time Sleep released their newer material through Third Man. I cancelled it when it became clear that the vault was 80% a Jack White vanity project, and I don’t need any more of that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've tried to like Tool since the 90's, but I just can't. A ton of my friends were and are super into them.

It's some of the most boring music I've ever heard. Their continued popularity blows my mind.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Just wait until you have so many that you smell them the minute you walk in the door. And they’re in the basement.

Well, that explains that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

If it's a small enough store and it's likely the owner make a reasonable offer, I've got a few that way.

And if they're local and say no come back later

It’s possible the records were priced to haggle. If a sucker buys them for 10 bucks over market, all the better. But if it’s a smaller flea market type place I’m pretty comfortable guessing the seller was ready to be flexible.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Compared to reel to reels, they’re practically nonexistent space wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, that shipping is out there. But the euro is weak to the dollar now, so it’s not as much as I initially assumed.