Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

phosdex posted:

I don't have anything old and weird like you guys post. This is what I've bought most recently though:

You can't go wrong with Air. Moon Safari & Talkie Walkie are two of my favorite records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

screaden posted:

Look at all these folks missing out on Earthling and Outside. Those are great albums. Hours and Black Tie White Noise are the real stinkers compared to Tonight and Never Let Me Down

IMO, a major standout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDkRpqO-b0

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Toe Rag posted:

I still don’t understand why this record is so expensive.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/853660

I’ve never seen it for sale for less than $400. It’s good but pretty unremarkable unless there’s something about it I don’t know.

May be entirely a rarity thing? I picked this up for something like $20 when it first came out at a record store and I’ve never seen it go for a reasonable price on Discogs. I assume due to a lack of a repress. It’s a good album, but it’s not exactly ground breaking or mind blowing.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Interesting post here about the The 100 Most Expensive Records Ever Sold on Discogs.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
For more Bandcamp Friday oddities, if anyone is into what I can best describe as "Shenmue themed dungeon synth", there's a vinyl release out today.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

CPL593H posted:

Does anybody think that the bubble will burst eventually and records will go back to being sold for realistic prices or is this just what it is now?

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-outsells-cds-for-the-first-time-in-decades/

It may depend on whether the bubble is built on the nostalgia wave or people collecting to have tangible items. On one hand I would love for prices to go back down, on the other hand the easy access to represses of previously unattainable items is amazing.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Another spin clean user chiming in, I really like it, definitely recommended for super dirty records. Supposedly according to the wash fluid bottle, you can do up to 50 records before changing out the water. I usually do about 20 at once and the water at the bottom is pretty gross by then.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

petit choux posted:

How do you goons dry records if you use a spin clean?

Microfiber towels.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

sporklift posted:

So this box of 45's was from my late father's things. I imagine it was a college girlfriend's or something. I had to toss about half the records because they were unplayable. The ones that were left over were made into a mix for my dad's birthday. Not my usual stuff but it was fun to put together.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/for-my-father/

This is awesome, I'm into it right from the first needle drop.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

harlot church new metal band name i call dibs

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of Discogs. . .

I'm new to vinyl, and have ordered probably a dozen records off discogs, to generally satisfactory results, other than generally paying $20-25 a record by the time it's shipped.

Saturday I went to my local brick and mortar music store and picked up some solid 70s/80s classics. The stuff I bought is all in line with VG+ by Discogs standards. The jackets have price stickers on them from the shop, but otherwise are in solid enough shape.

All used, and all for about half or less of what discogs would have cost me. Just as an example: I got Billy Joel's Stranger for $8, Yes's Fragile for $5, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound for $10, etc. Even the stuff they had featured on their walls was still pretty cheap, like $20-30.

So my question is, what the gently caress, Discogs? I'm assuming a B&M would rather err toward volume than per-item profit compared to someone selling out of their home, but even so.

Is this how it is everywhere, or did I just find a really good shop?

In my experience, a lot of the stuff on Discogs is priced at "because that's what it can be priced at" prices, not respective of brick and mortar pricing.

Some of the prices on Discogs also vary wildly from pressing to pressing. Coveted, great sounding pressings can be high priced, while ones that "don't sound as good" (on $30k listening setups) can be very cheap. When shopping in a store, a lot of folks are just grabbing the record because they want it and see it on a shelf. They aren't looking up which specific pressings are superior to others and doing research before buying. You see this a lot in jazz records on Discogs where garbage represses are cheap, vs. great ones are $100+.

Pre-covid, the wild world of record shows was yet another pricing ballgame where you could not only find rare stuff for cheap or wildly overpriced, but could also haggle over prices while getting weird judgemental looks for what you're buying.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

really hope LITA reissues more Hosono stuff soon - I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped on reissuing Swing Slow, that thing would sell like crazy in today's environment

love that album, it would be an instant buy for me. i get very strong lynchian / twin peaks energy from it.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

vapor vinyl is cool but it's the sort of thing you have to pounce on immediately or it skyrockets to 4x the price which is super loving obnoxious

yeah, i’ve only been lucky a few times with that:

kind of a bummer as the pressing not as good as it could be and it’s my favorite telepath / hke collab.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

a lot of the lazy stuff is, I think at this point "vaporwave" casts a pretty wide net, something like George Clanton is miles away from say Macintosh Plus or Chuck Person. there's a lotta great stuff there though

Slide is such a next-level album with respect to his whole trajectory. I love to see the evolution of production from the early days of using Sega samples on ESPRIT records. I'm not a fan of 311, but the recent stuff he did with Nick Hexum is pretty wild considering the whole genre started as a culmination of 90s nostalgia / memes.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

BigFactory posted:

If it was delivered by UPS it’s VG+

had a record arrive recently that the record label had written “DO NOT SMASH” in giant letters on the box. surprised it made it in one piece honestly.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Barry posted:

Nice. My 2003 Plain Recordings copy of Loveless is kinda scratched and doesn't really sound that great but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to want to replace it with a new ~$30+ copy.

I have the same pressing, mine came a bit warped. It just added to the aesthetic.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

stealie72 posted:

Owning a turntable and wanting no part of $50 releases that sell out in an hour has gotten me back into classical music, which I pretty much abandoned in my 20s after a childhood/teens full of it (I played violin throughout school).

There's just an utter shitton of great condition 60s-80s classical vinyl out there for $5 or less. Of course, still finding a few things that are $50+, but not many.

Hoping this will give me something to do/collect while things rage out of control and then I can pick other stuff back up on the other side of whenever the bubble pops.

Same, but getting into opera for the first time. Picked up a really clean 60’s pressing of Der Rosenkavalier on discogs for like $6 plus shipping. People are sleeping on some really good stuff in that genre. Downside is the shelf space eaten up by the boxes they are in.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

graham cracker posted:

So, my AT LP120X order got cancelled from the place offering it for 250.

Anyone else have an alternative idea for a ~$200-300 player that's decent or a reputable retailer?

I really like the u-turn orbit in that range. Around $250 if you want the built in preamp in a variety of colors. That said, you won’t get USB, but they’re great starter turntables with excellent customer support.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Ballz posted:

Whelp I'm at the point where I think it's time to replace the needle that came with the AT-LP120 that I bought two years ago. My old favorite was the Shure M97x but I know that got discontinued a while ago. Any recommendations on something similar in price and quality?

I'm a fan of the Ortofon 2M Blue. It has a really nice well rounded sound that's not too bassy and not too hollow. You can get them pre-mounted on a headshell or mount it yourself, depending on preference.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

All 4 of the piper albums they have on there are excellent!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Mt. Modular posted:

Re: vinyl subscription services, I’d like to suggest Vinyl.Post (https://www.vinylpost.co/). Every month you get a postcard-sized flexi featuring a song from some obscure band. And it’s cheap!

I’ve had it for a few months now and I have yet to get a song that I disliked. It leans heavily towards indie-pop material, so if you’re into that, you’re golden.

Seconded, it’s great. If I’m going to join a subscription service like this it might as well be a cute/fun/clever medium. They even come in little poly sleeves!

They’ve already had Kero Kero Bonito, but I’m holding out hope for a flexi of the Bugsnax theme some month.

beeker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2021

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Too bad Discogs doesn't allow bootlegs anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H13jFvdsVY

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Duckula posted:

that piper album rules

The others that STS is selling are great too, but that one in particular just oozes style and atmosphere.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Rolo posted:

Total loving newbie here. I got pointed here from PYF but I got pretty drunk the other night and ended up ordering some vinyl even though I have zero equipment. I'm a sucker for physical media and decided I want to extend my love of bookstores to music stores. I'm also feeling nostalgic for buying music and getting something I can look at.

The hardware section of the OP is up there but I'm looking to start turntable hunting. Budget is ~300 bones, probably going to be similar for speakers. Best Buy has the AT-LP60X-GM and AT-LP120X-BT in stock, are either of these good starting points?

The 120 is very popular, well made, sounds great. You can’t go wrong there.

I hope you don’t like having money, welcome to the hobby!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Ballz posted:

a random Weather Report album

Jaco absolutely shines on Birdland, playing that bass like it’s an electric guitar.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

one of my favorite artists has a cassette club--making me wanna get one now, ugh

https://www.cassetteclub.co/?fbclid=IwAR3Qp-79f-GPr36nLkROYB39WaVATnyfWf-su9m4MBGKXTZ4oHMNA3lUJ8o

can you even compare vinyl to CD or cassette? I guess cassettes have a warmer sound, maybe? It seems like vinyl will always rein supreme, CDs are ok, and cassette is more a novelty? Sure your gear is a factor. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I collect both, vinyl sounds way better in almost every case. I like cassettes for labels that only do small runs of collectible releases on Bandcamp such as a Shenmue themed dungeon synth album, etc.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Will you drat hipsters record labels stop buying vinyl repressing dark side of the moon for the thousandth time!

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope this doesn't lead to less vinyl releases on Bandcamp, etc.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Not sure if anyone is into soundtracks for “so bad it’s good” type 80s martial arts movies, but Miami Connection is being released on vinyl for the first time: https://enjoytheriderecords.com/collections/enjoy-the-ride-records/products/miami-connection-soundtrack-etr119

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Read After Burning posted:

I found this the other day. I have no idea how to describe this genre of music, but I fell in love and bought it after a few minutes of listening. Track 5 is my favorite.

https://yinyin.bandcamp.com/album/the-rabbit-that-hunts-tigers

Good stuff, sort of a chill, psychedelic funk, reminds me a lot of Khruangbin https://khruangbin.bandcamp.com/album/con-todo-el-mundo-n-s-america-edition

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Ah yes, the “NM” copy of Hot Rats I purchased where the sleeve is falling apart at the seams and the record is scratched to all hell. Adds to the Zappa aesthetic though!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
“seventh largest city in the united states” is also a super weird flex that radiates boomer energy

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

welp it finally happened. My 2 year old trashed the needle on one of my M44-G.
Where do you all source replacements that don't cost an arm and a leg?

e: and does anyone know specifically how the JICO stylus compares to the N44G?

Here's one option: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/shure-n44g-stylus-for-m44g

They appear to have a variety of options for your M44-G

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

pwn posted:

You can go that way for style but for less money and more function the Audio Technica AT LP120 (and 120X) is the way to go

It probably doesn't even make a difference at the entry level, but the U-Turn offerings are less complex in terms of circuitry. Depending on your choice, it's basically a few wires and a simple motor, in theory making it more repairable like a lot of vintage turntables. You really can't go wrong with either, IMO.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
I'd 100% buy a pure moods vinyl release and then sail away, sail away, sail away...

IIRC Enigma got sued several times over unlicensed samples and settled. They honestly may have never even got the exposure they did if it weren't for these dumb commercials that have been forever drilled into my brain from childhood.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite thing about Enya is that she classifies her music in a genre called Enya.

she also lives in a castle that she outbid michael flatley for! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manderley_Castle

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
now do we file that under soundtracks or Prince?

BAT DANCE

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
really digging the 90s by way of sedona arizona aesthetic they all radiate

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
no record shelf is complete without a "weird" section!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Speaking of LITA, not sure if anyone is into Italian horror soundtracks (or just weird synth prog), but this Goblin box set has some extremely good stuff in it. https://lightintheattic.net/releases/8105-the-horror-original-soundtracks-lita-20th-anniversary-deluxe-edition-box-set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

dorium posted:

Discogs might have an even more worthless front page than this site does.

have they fixed the thing where "trending releases" was getting filled with weird nazi poo poo? one of the reasons i just go direct to my dashboard.