Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

hi phiz

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yep and if not expect ridiculous prices on eBay.

That's loving stupid. (Also that Afrikaa Bambata/MC5 thing is going to explode on eBay)

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Well I'll be grabbing whatever seems interesting and if any of you guys pick up the Cursive album, I'll trade/buy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

e

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 25, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

e

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got 3 albums from that Bestbuy sale and they were all damaged along the opening side. Sigh.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just found a copy of the soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange and the 'soundtrack' of stuff from Mel Brooks movies. Noice.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just got my NIN Pretty Hate Machine remaster from the BestBuy sale.. horrible loving ring on the sleeve from storage. Glad it was like $4. Never buying from BestBuy again.. not one of the albums they sent me wasn't damaged.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They're all backordered :\

EDIT: Also $17 to ship 9 LPs :\

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 12, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Harry Privates posted:

Sorry to bring it up again but anyone in Canada want to get me a copy of Death From Above 1979 on RSD?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Faxbart posted:

If you haven't seen this, you can watch the full thing online here: http://ww3.tvo.org/video/166862/vinyl (not sure if it's region locked). Pretty scary movie, probably should be a must watch for anyone who collects vinyl.

I can see the appeal and challenge of having a huge collection, but at the end of the day it's just stuff. Cleaning out my Grandmother's house after she moved to a retirement home was a good reminder of this, and forced some rethinking of how much crap I want around me. Someday that record collection at Goodwill will be yours.

Someone some day will toss a Jack White album back onto a pile at Goodwill

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stopped by my usual spot to ask about their RSD shipments (he was opening boxes while I was there and has about 5 more coming tomorrow, woo!)

Ended up spending too much, of course.

Bowie - Heroes (EX, cheap)
Beasties Boys & Nas - Too Many Rappers 12" single, new
hosed Up - David's Town (last year's RSD limited)
Bane - Give Blood ('12 reissue)

And some insight on what I can count on for RSD. Free beer!

And I missed the fifteen minutes that At The Drive-In's "Vaya" reissue was available for preorder from IVWT this morning. gently caress.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Second in line at my favorite shop. 35 minutes early, not bad.

Plus the DFA release.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A dude on reddit's copy of Heady Fwends came SIGNED by Wayne. Holy poo poo.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a sealed Refused Shape of Punk to Come from RSD if anyone wants to trade?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I wish I had bought a second Burst&Bloom just to have another. Cursive didn't even have any to sell when they played a show like two weeks ago.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got some stuff from my dad, a Technics SL-Q300 tt and a Fisher x100b Tube Amp.

The TT has a thick rubber mat on the platter that warped, so I'm buying a replacement. One thing I'm seeing, though, is two holes in the rubber mat which correspond to what looks like two "hooks/clips/something" recessed into the platter. What is that and what does it do? Do I need a special replacement mat?

[You can see them in the picture that is a closeup of the front left, here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/technics_sl_q300slq30.html]

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 24, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Isorenieratane posted:

I have an SL-Q303 which detects if you have put a 7" or 12" on the platter so when you press start the arm swings out to the right position. I'm pretty sure the two little recesses are what detect the record size, so you will want a mat which has those holes in. (With 10" records I have to move the arm over manually since the auto-detected only works with 7" and 12" and it assumes they are 7"s).

That's indeed what it is. Thank you! Now to find a mat with holes... :\ The thingies sit a few mm above the face of the platter, so a regular non-holed mat will sit unevenly :\

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anyone else have The XX - S/T and find it's a piece of poo poo?

Poorly cut jacket (white on the edge, clearly crooked), chips on the edge of the vinyl, shredded dusty inner sleeve, and most importantly, sounds like poo poo (quiet, tinny)?

I'm on my second one and it has the same flaws as the first, so I'm giving up on a replacement.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:(

I really don't want to return this thing again.

EDIT: At least Amazon is graceful. I still haven't returned Copy #1 and now I have Copy #3 on the way.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 29, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Got my DFA1979 reissue today and the record burst the top edge of the jacket open during shipping :|

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can anyone offer advice on the possibility of disabling the automatic functionality on my Technics SL-Q300? It's annoying as gently caress, but the mechanism next to the motor that detects 7"s and 12"s prevents the platter from spinning if I take out the piece on the platter.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I didn't really explain myself well. That mechanism makes an audible noise every rotation of the platter, I wanted to remove it as much as possible.

What I did was open up the plastic springed bits in the platter that detect 7"/12" and remove the one that checks for 7", and jammed the little switch over so it's "set" to always be 12". This way the plastic thing never touches the part under the platter that interacts with the mechanics, and there's no more noise. The only problem is that if I play a 7" I have to make sure I lift the tonearm cueing before hitting Start.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 2, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

alg posted:

I know most goons will scoff, but this was kinda :unsmith: to me:

http://modern-vinyl.com/poison-the-well-getting-vinyl-releases/

I was really into Poison the Well in college, nice to see them get a re-release

Who's scoffing? PTW was a huge part of my youth. :unsmith:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I bought a record and none of the versions are on discogs and now I'm emailing the label to ask about pressing quantities oh my god help me out of this hole of obsession

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've never heard Dirty Projectors but am temtped to buy this because that's pretty awesome

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Trading some RSD stuff I have buyer's remorse on and some misc older stuff.
[edited out]

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 3, 2019

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Someone on reddit is liquidating their huge Blood Brothers collection, I just got Young Machetes on orange. ~350 pressed.

Now off to my favorite goodwill. Love Saturdays.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I missed out on Heady Fwends. I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Trade? Have a discogs for me to browse?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't really have anything to trade. I'll give you cash though. :)

[redacted] @ gmail - email an offer

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 25, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SO HOW ABOUT SOME VINYLCHAT

My replacement DFA1979 shipped today, so it seems there are now only 999.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Because if another musician did it without having a religion behind him saying that 'Medicine=bad' it would actually be believable as a joking exaggeration. When you know the person's religion dictates that it is fact, it changes the context.

I don't care what group of people is saying dumb poo poo like 'All medicine is bad for you', if you're a person in the spotlight and you start saying it I think it's a dick move.

Oh poo poo, I'm in Europe am I supposed to have it by now? :ohdear:

East Coast US. I got one, it was damaged, I returned it, and now they're shipping a second one. I'd think yours would have gotten there already, it's been 3+ weeks since my first one came.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Today's Vinyl bundle at PopMarket is 2LP 45rpm editions of Fleetwood Mac S/T and Rumours for only $60 :psyduck:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was a little hesitant to actually go IN to a Hot Topic, but I always see their online stuff, and it came out pretty nicely.

Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica - This is the super nice 10-year anniversary reissue.

Modest Mouse - Good News for People who Love Bad News - This is an '04 original pressing. It was $11. Niiiice.

Fugazi - Fugazi EP - New, reissue. Like $9.

Minor Threat - S/T - New, reissue. Again, like $9.

Get Up Kids - Simple Science EP - This was on clearance, ended up being $2. Pink marbled vinyl, hand numbered 1536/2000. They did 4 separate colors within the 2000 so technically it's /500.

AND some coupons for $30 off $60 for my next purchase. Not bad.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

President Kucinich posted:

Is Neck of the Woods transparent yellow? I was told there would be a transparent yellow vinyl version of this. Between new Silversuns and Metric putting out white albums of Snythetica, payday can't get here fast enough.

Biweekly paychecks :argh:

It's on black. There was a pre order ultimate edition, maybe that's on yellow?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yessssssssss it's here

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

Yessssssssss it's here

Also I have an extra (sealed) copy of this (At the Drive-In - Vaya 10" on Hot Pink /3000) for sale/trade. PM me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So there's this guy from craigslist who's selling this Beatles lot:

quote:

Yesterday and Today st2553
Something new st2108
Meet the beatles st2047
Revolver st 2576
Beatles ’65 st2228
St peppers smas 2653
Early beatles st2309
New improved st2442
Let it be#?
Abbey road apple so-383
A hard day’s night #?
HELP 2386
Beatles VI st2358
Name? songs hey jude apple sw 385
White cover back in ussr swbo 101

He's saying "give me an offer" which either means he thinks he has a goldmine and is going to want way too loving much, or he has no idea what he has, considering he called the White Album "White cover back in ussr".

Thoughts?

A handful of these are going for $15ish each on Discogs, given that I have no clue what actual pressing some of them are. I have no clue what to tell this guy.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 1, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Black vinyl has carbon in the paint or something which makes it stronger or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

rxcowboy posted:

So I have a random question, I don't know if this will be the right thread but here goes.

I now have a record player and about three boxes full of hundreds of classic rock albums on vinyl, and I want to listen to them. The problem is, I have no idea how to set the system up.

It was my girlfriend's dad's system, and he passed away so I can't call and ask him for instructions. It's a mis-mashed set of about four different types of speakers, a Dolby home audio receiver, and a subwoofer. I bought speaker wire, but then I realized beyond knowing the difference between the positive and negative ends, I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing.

The record player has three cables. One for power, one single strand of speaker wire that is all black, not split at the end, just a single strand that originates inside the player itself. And a cable that splits in two at the end, but its a plug that looks like Audio/Video in. There are bands at the end, but they are old and both look yellow to me.

The speakers all have ports in the back for speaker wire and most of them already have speaker wire attached. No independent power sources.

The home audio receiver has a poo poo ton of ports in the back. Speaker wire ports for the speakers, center speaker and woofer. That part I can understand. But the only "plug" ports that I see are labelled TV, DVD, Satellite, Tape and I think Aux. I would hazard a guess that the plug type wires from the record player go in one of these, but I have no idea which one since none of them say record player.

I know I probably sound like a loving idiot but if anyone could help me I'd be much obliged. I can try and post some pictures later if that would help, I'll be back in my place later tonight.

If anyone could help or direct me to a resource on how to put together this system, I'd appreciate it!

The cables coming from the TT are your phono (red/white (left/right)) which carries the sound; and ground (black unterminated) which you screw onto the chassis of your receiver.

There won't be a "record player" input, it's probably aux. If the connectors fit, it'll work.*****

I'm assuming since this setup WAS used, you won't need to put a preamp in line, and you should be fine plugging the TT into the receiver as-is. Check your left/right, and if it's wrong, switch your plugs.

*****If your setup doesn't have a preamp in the TT or in the receiver your sound will be super low. Try (1) connecting to a different input on the receiver. If that doesn't work, you might need to buy an inline preamp, which you can find for about $25 on the cheap end.

Last but not least, BUY A NEW STYLUS IF NOT CARTRIDGE. The old one is probably lovely at this point and will gently caress up your records.

Start with a Grado Black (entry level), Shure, Ortofon, etc..

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 16, 2012