Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Beyond the Black Rainbow was just announced by Death Waltz/Jagjaguar for a September release. It's already available for pre-order in the US via Jagjaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I get the theme song from Class of Nuke 'Em High II: Subhumanoid Meltdown stuck in my head at least once a week, no joke. I preordered that motherfucker when I saw the song was a bonus track.

I am dumb.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It was pretty awesome to see them show up on the same day.
My Beyond the Black Rainbow's been sitting in a post office over the holiday weekend and I'm so, so furious about it. Says it won't even be here until next Tuesday, guaranteeing I stare at my doorstep and frown every day for the next seven days.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every once in awhile, just for a chuckle I check Discogs for how much Devil Doll vinyl is going for and I laugh and laugh and laugh.

If only I had $500 just lying around in little piles.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pretty much every record store I frequent already carries two different pressings of the El Topo soundtrack and I have no idea what the difference is.

But I will buy the poo poo out of Holy Mountain, no question.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Doesn't the GWAR record come in a weird pop-up book thing?

Yeah, I'm getting that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RSD is always me showing up at 7 at night since I work because I'm an adult and stupid and then sifting through 500 Bruno Mars singles from three years ago that the Record Store places next to whatever big reject items are from this year.

My guess is it'll be a bunch of 311 singles.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

On a whim I waltzed into a record store today and left with the original Shimmy Disc release of Ween's The Pod. Same place I stumbled onto a copy of the insane soundtrack to The Apple.

I swear, every time I go into Crossroads in Portland, I walk out of there with something I've been searching for forever.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Oh man, did you actually buy the Apple soundtrack?
I'm not big into discogs or eBay, so The Apple soundtrack is something I've dreamed of stumbling on in a record store forever. When I hit the little soundtrack section at Crossroads and found it, like, three records deep into their crazy, Labyrinthian setup, I immediately ran to the counter and threw $10 at them as hard as I could.

Best vinyl purchase I've ever made. Sometimes I'll just break out my copy, not even playing it - just being delighted over the fact that I loving own the soundtrack to The Apple.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

How much was the Pod?
$70 for The Pod. I've seen original Shimmy Disc pressings in the $100-150 range and this copy was well preserved.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

That's way more than I'd spend on it but still pretty cool
If someone posts a preorder page for a repressing, I'm killing myself.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

What an unfortunately named B-Side!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just got back from a Dan Deacon show.

That's John. With an H.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dear God, Side D of Fantomas' Delirum Cordia is the 20 minute segment of the sound of a record skipping, they didn't just put in a locked groove. :psyduck:

I guess they wanted the countdown at the end?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Goal for the weekend: hit up as many shops as I can trying to find The Frogs on vinyl.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

theradiostillsucks posted:

The vinyl market is at a point where I don't know if you're referring to the rock band or an expensive reissue of the horror movie soundtrack by one of the dozen labels who specialize in those.
The rock band, though I wouldn't be surprised if Waxwork throws down a Frogs soundtrack reissue at some point.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone have any advice on which pressings of Mr. Bungle albums I should grab? Some of the reviews on Amazon have me worried, and I'd rather not drop $30 on an album that's going to sound like poo poo.
Apparently the Paper Bag pressings are digitally sourced whereas the Music on Vinyl releases that came out earlier in the year are sourced from the master tapes, but they're a UK label - they're fairly common in record stores, but they're $40 a pop. I don't know if there's a US pressing on the way, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Xarthor posted:

Speaking of Amy Winehouse, I read recently that they're repressing Frank. It's coming out the end of next month, if I'm remembering correctly.
The RSD release had a "FIRST PRESSING" sticker, I had no doubt. It probably won't have the mask and it probably won't be all pretty and green.

My friend body-checked me on the way to getting a copy on RSD. I couldn't be mad. Especially after hearing the full version of Frank's Most Popular Song.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh god, bad cellphone picture, but

That's right. I have two copies. This is what happens when weed is legal where you live. You make the best decisions.

Only two more copies and I can fire them up like Zaireeka.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Would you be willing to sell one?
Sadly you'd have to get in line because every friend I've forced The Apple on is demanding my spare copy.

Thus is the magic of The Apple.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just listen to the Analyze Phish podcast.

EDIT: New page, really? I hate when that happens. Oh well, have a fuzzy picture of this copy of Earth's Primitive and Deadly. It's very pretty in person, I assure you. I had to buy it at the record store because for some reason Earth didn't have a merch table at the show I went to.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 28, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just found a sealed copy of The Residents' Codgers on the Moon at my local store over the weekend - particularly odd since it only had a one-off pressing of 250 copies last year. Also caught the documentary as it blew through town. Definitely worth a look.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I've wanted to check out the Residents for a while but I have no idea where to start because they have 9 million albums and from what I've read they don't have a signature sound other than "weird".
If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone is an easily digestible, haunting album the band recorded right after 9/11. It's an easy listening and probably the highlight of their current (?) state. It's my go-to for a suggestion for their more pleasant side.

My favorite Residents album is also the most impenetrable: Not Available. It sounds utterly alien, I can't even imagine in my head it being recorded in a studio by a group of human beings. It took their Theory of Obscurity (an Artist's best work being produced in total seclusion without any sort of influence from the outside world, especially any sort of audience) and took it to the most logical conclusion (recording an album and locking it in a vault, deciding never to release it until they had forgotten about it entirely).

I can go super-autist-goon on some Residents, but those two are good intros to both sides of the band.

EDIT: keep away from the late '80s/Early '90s material for the most part. It's all chintzy MIDI garbage and pretty indefensible.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 8, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Giga Gaia posted:

Seconding this. There's a live concert video on youtube thats pretty slick as well. Mush-room is also an interesting, newer album by them. 2013, I think?
Mush-Room (I had to look it up - 2013, on the head) is actually a solo thing done by the main composer Chuck (guys who only had a vague understanding of The Residents: they all have names now. And they're all over Facebook and Tumblr and it's loving weird). It's definitely worth getting into, but not necessarily a good starting point if you want the band experience.

The Demons tour was actually the first time I got to see them live. I will forever kick myself for not getting to see the Wormwood show, which is also up on YouTube and completely nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckHimmB8tQ

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Would you happen to know if that recent reissue of Meet the Residents is the mono mix?
It's the mono mix and it sounds like garbage coming out of a butt, a stereo copy is the way to go. It's the only recent MVD repress that I would suggest skipping entirely.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just listened to Not Available for the first time on your recommendation and loved it. Can you give me a few other recommendations on what to track down next? I haven't heard Demons Dance Alone yet.
That's good to hear. It's tricky laying The Residents on people, it's always fun when the reaction isn't immediately "What the gently caress, turn that poo poo off."

Not Available is such a serious recording, let's go the opposite direction this time: The Third Reich and Roll is a silly nightmare pastiche of all your favorite '60s and '70s pop hits by four people eating all the drugs, banging on pots and pans and generally making a mess of things. Throw the two singles usually associated with the release on top of it for extra fun - their Satisfaction cover is hilarious and borderline unlistenable, while The Beatles play The Residents and The Residents play The Beatles takes a few dozen Beatles tracks and combines them in a creepy pre-mashup, Negativland-esque composition.

If anyone's interested, I can work on a Residents thread. Though I have to admit I tried once, reread the first draft and threw it all away in self-loathing nerd shame.

CPL593H posted:

Okay, thanks. I couldn't find anything specific about that online.
If you're looking for records, I'd suggest tracking down the EuroRalph releases that came out about 15 years ago, they're all in Gatefold sleeves, sound great and you can still track them down used for $20, $25 at most.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Also going through the records I inherited from my dad I listened to Chuck Mangionne and discovered it to be my parents' love record.

I haven't played it since.
Which one? I hope it's the one where Shirley McClaine raps.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Sleepytime Gorilla Museum back catalogue is getting mastered for vinyl and pressed by Blood Music and I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of all of it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

numerrik posted:

So I found out I am getting a record player for xmas from my wife, and was wondering if there were any must have albums, or if collecting vinyl was more along the lines of find poo poo you like in a familiar genre and listen.
Just about any Jean Michel Jarre is high quality dollar bin purchases if you enjoy analog synthesizer goodness.

And buy at least one Chuck Mangione record to do cocaine off of, if you're into that sort of thing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ColdPie posted:

I got the Journey soundtrack. It's Grammy-nominated! gently caress you!
Is that the picture disc? How's that sound? If you've got positive words, I've got money to spend.

My local record store now has a little hutch in the back specifically for video game soundtracks. I still might get that Shenmue disc. I am the problem.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if I'll get my Manos Ham of Fat LP before Christmas.
I check my tracking number every day, no matter how many apology emails they send.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

We're trying guys, I swear!
I have no doubts, but maaaaaaaaaaannnn(os), I'm really excited.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Eugene Mirman box set is 100% as advertised and it is magnificent.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I have to have this.
I can't confirm whether or not everything listed in that description is actually in the set, but the disc with 45 minutes of crying is really real and reeeeeeaaaallllly sloppy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh thank God, that reissue of The Pod is an RSD First release, and not an RSD-Only release.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Sonics rule. Get the Sonics box.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This might be the most ridiculous album I got today, and I just got my copy of Manos: The Hands of Fate in the mail, too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Here are some track titles off of LP #7, 195 Orgasms:

3) Moons Over Your Hammy
24) Offal for Lunch, Woo-Hoo for Dinner
64) Brassy, Bald and Ejaculating
77) No Shirt, No Shoes - Service
147) Gene Simmons Crying in a Pile of poo poo
149) Rooting for Truffles, Miami Style
185) Have Your Report on My Dick in the Morning

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Light in the Attic is reissuing This Heat's studio discography. Official This Heat Facebook mentioned Camberwell Now reissues are in the pipeline too! :getin:

http://lightintheattic.net/artists/1292-this-heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ballz posted:

I also have a picture of the record spinning on my turntable but you guys have made me ashamed of my setup. :saddowns:
My setup includes my Autistic brother's record player. Every possible inch of it is covered in Muppet Babies stickers. He's 32.