Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Got my limited to 500 on strawberry vinyl reissue of Deerhoof - Milk Man this week. Sadly, it's warped to poo poo. I could actually hear the music slowing down and speeding up, even though my needle didn't jump off. Sent an email to PolyVinyl. Hopefully I can get a replacement. Anyone ever have any issues with PolyVinyl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

1000 umbrellas posted:

I posted about this in the old thread when the digital version dropped, but now that the vinyl is here I feel it's immensely more relevant:

My band's debut EP arrived today in the mail! All 500 copies of it. This is my first experience pressing a vinyl record, and I'm beyond proud of the final product; from the recording to the mastering to the whole package, I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. My jaw hit the floor when I spun it for the first time.

It's 4 songs, pressed at 45rpm on sun orange vinyl. You can get it here:
http://conveyor.bandcamp.com

(or just download the mp3s for free, yo).

If you live in or around NYC, stay tuned; we're having a homecoming release show when we get back from tour in early September.

I really enjoyed the digital version when I pre-ordered the vinyl. Jeez, that was month's ago. I almost forgot that I bought a copy already. Looking forward to it coming in the mail.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm in New Orleans until tomorrow. Any must visit record shops? Someone was talking about Russell's but from what I read, it wasn't recommended. I'm not into punk so much. Would be great to find a nice haul on some old jazz and rock records or maybe some local outfits. Any suggestions?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Thanks! I did some google searching and Euclid seems like the place I want to go to. I probably won't have time to hit more than Euclid. I was down on my luck gambling today but was fortunate enough to win it all back and then some on a lucky slot machine pull. I was thinking about all the records i could have bought with the $70 I lost, then BAM... Big win on a slot from gambling $1.

I heard something about Euclid having a vending machine?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Took this one
------------
1 DL left of Destroyer - Kaputt
http://www.mergerecords.com/digital
Serial #: 20Z7XQTR
Bar Code: 673855036912

THANKS!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

DrHolmesPhD posted:

I've been listening to this lock groove for half an hour now, the sleeve and insert look great, the vinyl is gorgeous. The music is neither overwrought nor amateurish. The entire thing is incredible.

It really is a great EP. I wish it had at least one more song on it though. I love the personal touch of all the hand numbering, labeling, side a/b etc.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Ron Burgundy posted:

HOLY CRAP that is the best deal anyone has ever got on anything. I'm still holding on to the hope that someone will list something like an AMI Continental for $14. (I'm a sucker for a visible mech)

That's a better deal than the $80 full size accordion I found on Craigslist. drat!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

My wife bought me a subscription to the GraveFace record club for my birthday. As some of you already know, I'm a fan of the label, so I'm supposed to receive the next 10 releases from the label as they are released. Even if I'm not a huge fan of every band on the label, what an awesome gift that keeps giving.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I don't have much trouble dropping the needle where it needs to go but gently caress am I terrible about turning off the drat thing. My record player is in my living room and whenever I listen to records, I'm usually doing chores or sitting on the couch reading or something. I was listening to a record one night and got distracted, left it on and didn't notice it until I got home from work the next day. Yeah, that end groove spun for like 18+ hours or something. I'm terrible.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Jerry Cotton posted:

Auto-return is the best thing since bread. It should be mandatory.

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm playing my records on one of the direct-drive Numark tables I bought as a set back when I wanted to be a "DEEJAAAY". I'm so happy 2000 was so long ago. The table has held up just fine and I'm using a pretty decent stanton cartridge I bought way back when.

I've looked into buying a new table but I honestly don't think I'll hear a difference in quality.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

A musician friend of mine asked me (as a musician) if I thought albums were necessary anymore. I told him that albums are very important to me, how I often missed out on digital singles that are released because I didn't hear about them and how I hated that my digital collection had a random song from a band that didn't fit anywhere. :argh: soundtracks! :argh:

I disagree with the idea that albums are the cause of so much hit and miss music/bands. If anything, the big record companies are the cause. "Let's sign this band with these two great singles. Who cares what else is on there, we're not selling those songs". If anything has ruined albums, it's the record industry and marketing bullshit. For me, albums are a window into a period of an artist/band. The next album sounds a bit different because time has passed and they've grown as an artist/band.

I dread the day that everything is iTunes download only because there won't be any albums, it will just be per song purchasing and your music collection will look like a giant shuffle playlist.

I got into vinyl because I missed the physical medium and artwork. Being a kid and buying a CD and going home and listening to it while reading all the liner notes and lyric sheets and all the artwork, it was awesome. Too bad CDs were still very blah for me because who has a CD Player at home anymore? I know I don't. I have a computer and once you dump the music on your computer, you kinda just toss the CD in a box, closet, shelf etc. I like that when I'm listening to a record, I can go over to my shelf, pull the record, place it on the player and set the needle down and listen to the whole drat thing.

It's the same with shopping. After a certain point I stopped buying CDs. I never went to a music store to look for new music. I only bought CDs at shows or online if I had to have something that I couldn't download. Now, I can go back to the hobby of actually looking through music at the store and making a day of it. It's fun.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rock Band (or was it Rock Band 2?) was how I was introduced to Modest Mouse. It's kind of weird to read about bands that have 'sold out' because I'm so out of the loop when it comes to what's being played on TV, radio, or even clubs that it makes absolutely zero difference to me. I basically have no idea which bands are hugely popular and hyped until I accidentally read about it somewhere or ask a friend 'have you heard this here great song' and they answer with 'OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU STILL LISTEN TO THAT poo poo'.

(I've only ever heard half a Justin Bieber song and it's not like I've been avoiding his music on purpose.)

EDIT: Re-reading this I'm not sure if I have a point vOv

I feel that way about the Black Keys. Good, they should be recognized by how great they are. Unfortunately, I can't stand their new single because I've heard JUST THE CHORUS probably 100 times in the past month and no matter how good something is, you hear just a snippet that many times, you're going to get sick of it.

Same thing with Foster the People. I had no idea who they were, someone told me I should listen to that 'pumped up kicks' song and I did, thought it was ok, then went to listen to the whole album and 2 other songs jumped out at me because I'd heard them in various commercials and already hated those songs. Not saying the band would have been saved for me if they hadn't, I didn't really care for them from the start.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm sorry that this is going to be really big. I've posted this collection in here before, but I've gotten some cool new stuff since the last time.

I often want to try to find everything to collect by a band like Flaming Lips but then I look at your collection... Fantastic and I'm jealous.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

What is the etiquette for asking people to shut the gently caress up at a concert? I was seeing a show once and it seemed like the entire audience was made up of early 20s kids and they all had their phones out and were texting the entire time which is irritating but I can ignore it as it doesn't interfere with hearing the band. There was a group of people behind me talking for a solid 15 mins about what party they were going to after the show and I finally turned around and asked them to go outside if they were going to talk all night. I definitely got a "gently caress off grandpa" look from them.

I'm not that guy that wears the "Shut Up When The Band Is Playing" shirt but seriously, you paid for this show. Why are you talking the whole time?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Yeah, I didn't snap or anything. It was a pretty loud show so it's weird when you're enjoying a band and you can hear the people behind you shouting to each other about what to do after the show.

Some friends of mine had the awkward experience of seeing two really hosed up people trying to gently caress each other in the assigned seating of a NIN show. Someone else finally complained and they got kicked out apparently.

Another friend of mine finally called it quits on stadium sized shows because he and his gf got into an argument at a U2 show with the people behind them. U2 was playing a crowd pleaser and the majority of the people in their section stood up from their seats so they did as well to you know "be a part of the show and enjoy the concert" and the people behind them got all bitchy because they were blocking their view of the giant screens or something. I don't understand why most people bother going to concerts. If you're just going to sit and drink beer and watch the show on a giant screen, just wait until the concert DVD comes out.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm really tall so I always feel bad about going to small standing room only shows. I have a rule that I follow that may or may not relieve me of being a jerk. If I show up late, I try not to push in front of anyone as to block their view. I'll chill at the back. If I want to be closer to the stage, I wait for the audience to clear out between bands and I move forward. If you stand behind me, I'm sorry but I was there long before you walked in and decided that you needed to be close to the stage right as the band is going on. I get a lot of dirty looks when people get behind me. I had one girl ask me to move aside so I wouldn't block her view. There was no where to go and if there was, I would have just blocked someone else's. I feel bad but I paid for a ticket too. I'll gladly let you get in front if there is room but I'm not going to move behind you and your 8 friends.

:words: Concerts...

I'm on track to getting every Deerhoof record but to be a completist, I'll need to buy up all of these collaboration 7in records they've been putting out. I bought one with Xiu Xiu and it didn't get more than 1 listen from me. I don't know how I feel about buying something just to have the whole collection.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a killer collaboration (as in, they used/sang each others songs) so I don't get this at all :colbert:

Oops, I should have explained that it only got one listen out of me because I'm not a big fan of 7"s and I can't be bothered to put one on due to the need to flip it/change it every 3 mins. The song is good. I'll probably end up buying them but for me to buy them and put them in a box and rarely listening to them is weird but I guess that's part of collecting.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Just came in.

Deerhoof - Reveille

Also got the Kit/Deerhoof 7" collaboration record from my parents house. Apparently it was a xmas gift off my insound wish list that was out of stock and came in late.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I was going to say the same thing. I knew she was in bands before she was popular solo Bjork but '77? Holy crap.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone have any experience with buying vinyl from amazon as far as packaging? I've fallen in love with some albums lately and want to buy them and have a bunch of gift cards to amazon. I know this has been answered here before but jesus, I can't find it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Thanks for the reviews guys. I'll keep that in mind but I was able to find the record I wanted locally so I decided to support my neighborhood record store. :911:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

dflanny posted:

Got this spare download code:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Go to http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/promo/
UFC: 652637312317
Code: MERCY7E6ICYVQ

Should be good for 3 uses

Thanks.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

1000 umbrellas posted:

Aw, guys! Thanks so much! We're looking at being in either Madison or Milwaukee on or around 7/6, and San Diego around 7/22. Let me know if you've got any all ages venue recommendations. We can definitely make that happen.

The artwork for one of those 7"s just got finished today. Check it out:
http://benjihaselhurst.com/conveyor

Come to Houston and I'll be at the show with some friends in tow. Try Fitzgerald's. It's a decent venue.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, didn't it cost more to make those sleeves than the amount of money they were making from sales?

Just got my Graveface Record Club package, which is just as ridiculous and awesome as usual:

Graveface is seriously the coolest label ever.

Hey, where do you live? I'm waiting for my record club delivery too and that new Dreamend record is pretty great.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm in Tampa.

I think Ryan said they all went out last week, so you should have it soon.

Ok, makes sense that you got it so quickly since he's shipping from Georgia. I'm in TX so it should be here this week for sure.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

weirdojace posted:

They Might Be Giants are getting their back catalog released on vinyl, finally. The first four to get pressed are Factory Showroom, John Henry, Flood, and Apollo 18.

The label, Asbestos Records, already has Factory Showroom up for pre-order, and it ships in April. This is also the first time John Henry and Factory Showrrom have seen vinyl releases. (Flood is already pretty easy to find if you look around, and Apollo 18 was released in a very limited quantity in Europe.)

I'm a big TMBG fan so I'm very pumped about these!

Hah, I used to be a huge TMBG nerd but I guess I kinda "grew out of it". Plus, their later material has been pretty so so. I think I just might get a copy of John Henry and Apollo 18 though. Those were good records.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Cool. Just picked up that Shins package. My wife is going to be happy.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Peacebone posted:

Nice, got both Fleet Foxes LPs for $16. Now, let's hope they don't package it terribly.

Just did the same thing. I really hate returning things I buy online so I'm hoping they arrive ok.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

mia2000 posted:

FYI - looks like a lot of these titles have had the price jacked up again. 2 titles I purchased for $7.99 each the other day are now jacked up to what appears to be full retail.

Just got my Fleet Foxes records and noticed they are now listed at $19.99. They look like they came in good condition but I don't know if they're warped or not because I haven't opened them yet. Best Buy has no idea what they are doing (carrying music instruments and trying to compete with Guitar Center for example) and it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would do this after getting a flood of orders. "Hey, lets jack the price back up, people want to buy these things!".

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

CPL593H posted:

I'm still dumbfounded that they're selling 18 dollar records for 65. How the gently caress did they come to that price? If Best Buy goes under I'll say good riddance. Their stores are terrible and their selection of everything other than TVs is laughable. And even then, they don't have the TVs set up properly most of the time because the employees are all ignorant, apathetic teenagers who make minimum wage.

edit: I just looked on their site because you made me curious. I bought Oh, Inverted World by the Shins for 5 bucks during the sale. It is now marked up to 27.99 and I specifically remember that it said the original price was 13.99 before the sale. Anyone who actually buys music on vinyl is going to know these prices are way too high, so they've effectly made sure they're not going to sell any more of these things.

Well, the good news is that both of my records arrived in good condition and now I have 2 great albums for $16 but yeah, Best Buy is a piece of poo poo company. Maybe it's just because I don't buy CDs, rarely buy blu-rays/dvds, have the electronics I need, etc. but I just don't see the need to go there for anything aside from the occasional gift for someone. I'll just get my stuff on amazon for cheaper without some kid trying to sell me MONSTER cables for my home theater system. Maybe Best Buy screwed up their pricing and decided that in order to make up the lost money, they could just jack up the prices, because people looking for records OBVIOUSLY go to Best Buy.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Harry Privates posted:

The Last Gang Records online store. Sorry don't have an exact link I'm on my phone.

Site says it's out of stock. I like that record and wouldn't mind owning it but all of this RSD poo poo is meh to me. I understand vinyl is expensive to press and put out there but would be it so hard to release more than 1000 copies world-wide for a record that plenty of people want to buy? I don't know, maybe like 3000?

Last year, I bought the Heady Nuggs Box Set but I was lucky enough to catch the online sale for the colored set (lucky in the sense that i didn't have to stand in line at a record store). I went to my local store where I wasn't planning on standing in line for anything but a friend of mine was there and offered to grab Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity for me (limited green remastered release). It wasn't like people were clawing at each other for it but I was happy I got something I actually wanted. Not even 2 months later, Polyvinyl releases that same record again in a different color so it's not like it even really mattered. I could have eventually picked it up.

I want to support my local store so I'll probably walk over there at some point during the day and just buy something I like. If the line for RSD stuff isn't long I might stand in line and pick up something but I'm not camping the storefront at 7am.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 20, 2012

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Parachute Underwear posted:

I was under the impression that they were only listing it as OoS until tomorrow at 10. Hopefully not, because it's really the only thing that interests me out of the RSD stuff, except maybe that Hvarf/Heim reissue or whatever I saw somewhere.

You're right. Didn't catch the on sale at 10am thing. I wonder if I can snag one tomorrow morning online then.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

JohnnyMondo posted:

Truly, this is what record collecting and local business is all about : lottery systems and limiting purchases

It's probably for their sanity. My mom used to own a gift store (candles, collectibles, other misc dumb poo poo suburban moms spend money on) during the height of the Beanie Babies craze. They use to have 50+ crazy moms with their sticky kids waiting outside the store after a big shipment came in. They finally did a ticket system just so they didn't have a mob entering the store trying to kill each other over those stupid beanie babies.

My local store will usually have free beer from a local brewery and they discount all records and CDs plus a few live performances throughout the day.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

1000 umbrellas posted:

You can pre-order it here (July 17th release date):
https://www.papergardenrecords.com/shop/conveyor

Pre-ordered just now. Looking forward to it as I enjoyed the EP.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

alg posted:

DFA1979's album is on black vinyl for pre-order now. Steep shipping kinda put it out of my interest range.

http://modern-vinyl.com/youre-a-woman-im-a-machine-available-again/

Yeah, once I saw almost $8 for 2-4 week shipping for US, I kinda lost interest.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Chumpion posted:

Backing up how gorgeous this gatefold is, I can't tell on the photo if yours is the same but my version of Swim has raised glossy indents for the pattern as well. It's one of the record covers I always pull out when trying to convince people why I collect records with one of my reasons being 'cos dey soh pretty'.

It does essentially make you look like some kind of shiny obsessed magpie mind, but I can live with that.

So does mine. I was really impressed how nicely printed that whole thing was. I'm glad I bought it at a show and got in autographed.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Chiming in to say I bought a copy. I like this stuff. Looking forward to it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

cosmicjim posted:

Got my Conveyor album today. Goons can be wonderful people. Autographed, original page of album notes, clear vinyl, beautiful gatefold cover, lyrics booklet. This package has everything for something that's not an expensive special edition.

I'm kind of sad that a lot of people might never hear the earlier Sun Ray EP even if Conveyor does find some decent success. I think it's really beautiful.

Ugh, I could have listened to this tonight but I stupidly had it shipped to my old billing address (parents house) instead of my office. I was looking forward to it making a lovely day at work a bit brighter.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Barsuk has the new Menomena record up for pre-order. Release for the new album, Moms is set for 9/18/12.

Link here: http://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark131

Mp3 of the single: http://soundcloud.com/barsuk-records/heavy-is-as-heavy-does

Menomena has to be one of my favorite bands. I've really enjoyed every album they've put out and while it sucks that Brent left the band as I liked a lot of his songs, but I'm curious to see what the do next. That being said, I also bought the new Ramona Falls album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I've been pre-ordering a bunch of records lately. This just came up today.

http://lovethisgiant.com/

David Byrne and St. Vincent's collaboration out in September. There are 2 tracks up and it looks like the record is going to be very horn heavy.