Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am trying to find a copy of Heady Nuggs, I am guessing that ebay is the best place to do it unless you guys have ideas on a better used record store on the net?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Surfingelectrode posted:

Or you could order the UK version, which comes out two weeks earlier, is cheaper than WB's overpriced release, and comes with a bonus 7" that the American release doesn't:

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse/search/flaming+lips/item/245938/Flaming-Lips-The-Terror.html

Use the code 'PRESALE' for an extra 10% off, so $32 shipped to the US.

Is there any goons over there that could help me get this to the states? For some reason it won't accept my CC. Anyone help?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

I didn't go to any record stores today but I did have my first almost good find at a thrift store - R.E.M.'s Murmer. If the album wasn't scratched to hell and missing the cover, I might have even bought it.

If you want this album, I have several copies in good condition, if you just want to pay for shipping I would be more than happy to send it to you. Just shoot me a pm, shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks to send it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Did That on Television posted:

This is what buying records should be like all the time. Down with RSD, up with :glomp:!

I live in the Midwest, we had NOTHING for RSD. I was hoping to get the ATDI record but Midwest. And vinyl is a sharing hobby as I see it, why not spread the love?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Did anyone even get that Flaming Lips set? I like the band, picked it up, and then noticed you're supposed to play all 4 records synced with each other. It's a neat idea, but who can cobble together a set-up to do this even remotely listenable?

There are mixes on youtube you can watch that have all four of them synced up. But I think the band intended for this not to happen so all the syncs would be off thus making each listen something completely different.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

david puddy posted:

Does anyone here have Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II on brown vinyl? Two of the discs in mine are opaque which is what I was expecting, but disc 2 is translucent and looks wicked:

Is this pretty common or have I got some awesome anomaly?

Where is a good place to get this? I am extremely jealous.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you guys want to PM me I would take 1 of those copies off your hands. Shipping would be to 51250.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I listened to them while they were still kittens.

In other news, local record store has leftover copies from Record Store day because no one showed up, going to get my hands on some stuff tonight.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2...ontent=20140506

So Jack White did a thing with vinyl. Seems really like a marketing ploy.

180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a worthy uhh posted:

Let's restart the whole discussion from yesterday morning. GO!

poo poo I didn't even see that, my bad. I just saw that article this morning. Ignore me!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CrapFish posted:

My haul for today

The Cramps - Bad Music for Bad People
Fear - The Record
Aphex Twin/Caustic Window - Joyrex J9 EP

Good haul. I'm jealous.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Get the Technics for sure. It's going to hold it's value better, parts are easier to find, it can probably accept more cartridge types, finding someone to service it is a snap.

I have had a Technics SL-D2 forever, I love mine. My parents got it at their wedding and I still use it to this day. Thats over 38 years ago.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My local record store saves mine behind the counter. I guess it pays to be loyal?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

I only play locally sourced organic hand etched vinyl

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Cave posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

I am embarrassed for them.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

The new Jack White album has a built in jetpack fleshlight

Its hidden in one of the gatefolds

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xarthor posted:

If I was in a band I'd hire Mad Magazine to do a fold-in on one of the gatefold covers. Then I'd watch all the vinyl nerds turn themselves in knots trying to decide whether to fold-in and see the joke or keep the jacket pristine. :getin:

Didn't someone do this? Or am I confusing that with the Beck video.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

http://www.waxtraxrecords.com/

One of my favorites in Denver.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Roger Troutman posted:

Best.

Twist isn't bad but a lot of their stuff is overpriced. There's also Black & Read and there's some primarily punk and metal shop out in Lakewood I keep meaning to check out. Chain Reaction?

I love Wax, I did not know there was a shop in Lakewood, now I have to check that out.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Detective Thompson posted:

So Olde Growth played their last live show Sunday night, and they went out on a high note for sure. In honor of the occasion, I am giving away two copies of the Owl EP vinyl.

https://oldegrowth.bandcamp.com/album/owl-ep

Quote this part of the post if you're interested. I'll check this thread out tonight and if enough people want it, I will do some random drawing thing for it. Continental USA only, please, sorry rest of everywhere else.

Yautja owns. Nice work.

I would be down for this.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Detective Thompson posted:

Well sheee-it! You two lucky ducks are getting something good. Send an email to astockwell83 at the gmail with your name and address. I'm planning on sending these out Friday. Put your screen name in the subject line please, just so I know you're not some maniac emailing me about penis enlargement or whatever.

Email sent. Subject line Flaggy from SA.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that, looking forward to the album!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boinks posted:

Thanks, it was a really tight fit but I managed to slip it out without breaking the wax seal. :spergin:

Anyway, here it is:

Grabbed #2. Thank you very much!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

interpunct posted:

The list is here: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Or here if you like PDFs: http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

No one's talking about it because...well, look at that list.

How much are they going to gouge us for the NIN one? I didn't see a price but I might also be blind.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Picked up some new albums yesterday. Yay new vinyl.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My local record store didn't even participate today. Was there anything good on the list?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mycophobia posted:

I finally pruned the collection of 350+ records I inherited from my parents and my friend's parents down to a stack of 50 records that I'll actually listen to. Not sure what to do with the rest.

Just ordered Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II and Schubert's 3rd and 5th symphonies as well.

Ill take them off your hands.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pingiivi posted:

W-whoooops!

I just picked up all these AGAIN, someone had stolen them from me, I bought them all from a dude on SA-Mart for dirt cheap.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Titus Andronacus A Most Lamentable Tragedy is annoying.

Three disks.

Disk 1 has side 1 and 2. Disk 2 has 3 and 5, and runs at 45 rpm instead of 33 that the other disks run at. Disk 3 has 4 and 6.

The record comes with instructions.

Other than to annoy someone, why would they do this?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Those sides take place in a different time period where things move faster.

The worst are when they don't tell you it runs at 45 rpm.

Neon Indian's latest has 33 on the label, but that's just an error.

GYBE!'s EP has different speeds on different sides and is much easy to manage as they just threw it on the label.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Creature posted:

I own the Zaireeka vinyl box set. I don't even have one record player, let alone four.

It is the most ill-considered purchase I've ever made. :downs:

Send it to me, I will set up my four players, record it for you, and send you the recording. All for free!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ballz posted:

If you're asking yourself, "That Mother 2 soundtrack looks great, but it feels like it's missing something," I present without comment:

https://twitter.com/STSPhonoCo/status/715234989307273216

Wouldn't the arm just fall off after a while? How does it stay pressed to the record without killing needles all the time. I am most likely overthinking how stupid that thing is

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

Picked up from my town's weekly flea for $10.

Jealous of that Specials record. So jealous.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Schremp Howard posted:

How the gently caress did that raise over a million dollars

Nerds.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

I have this stupid record:

Holy poo poo, I have this record. Its at my parents house but I remember listening to it growing up.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I did do Black Friday record store, but my local shop didn't participate. Instead they sold all their rare stuff they have been collecting personally. Basically the owner of the shop let us shop his personal collection. I grabbed these.

I know they aren't anything special collecting wise, but I am so happy. I have been wanting that Kid Koala for a while, and yes I know I could buy it on discogs but I like finding things out in the "wild"

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cool, can't wait to dump water on a record sleeve, or get my record near heat.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I'm actually shocked that they're selling it for under 50 dollars.

That way when people ruin their record with the silly gimmick they can easily afford to buy another one. Or they can buy 2 and ruin one.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

I like Wierd Al but not $300USD like Wierd Al

but I still kinnnnda want it

Where are you seeing 300, all I see is 475?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Got a record I have been waiting a while to get. German press of The Fantastic Plastic Machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Twist & Shout I think, the one next to a book store.

Yup thats the one. Next time go to Wax Trax WAY better than twist and shout.