Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

milk teeth posted:

great intro farts, covered thee basics nicely.

jumping right in:

anyway, another record fair, another John Cale record.

I was jealous when you picked up Fear, and I'm jealous now. Slow Dazzle is his best record, hands down. I really need to hit up a record fair, are there any notable Chicago area ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Peacebone posted:

Finally got a bunch of records (most I've listened to but loved too much not to have)

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo
Washed Out - Within & Without < came on sweet lightblue vinyl
Jeff The Brotherhood - We Are The Champions
Deerhoof - Friendly Opportunity Reissue
Deerhoof - Milkman Reissue
The Dutchess & The Duke - S/T
Destroyer - Kaputt
Grandaddy - Sophtware Slump reissue/remaster < sounds fantastic!

Is it OK to post download codes? I see other people have and I already have mp3s of most of these.

We basically agreed it was alright. I'll take the Deerhoof and Washed Out ones if you don't want them. Send them over to brettfrangella AT gmail.com

I also can't wait to pick up all 3 of the Grandaddy reissues myself. The first two are two of my favorite albums, and the third is a lot better than it gets credit for.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Thrift store records will always be the domain of Mitch Miller. I usually see at least 5 - 10 records by him at any thrift store.

His sing-a-long albums must have been ubiquitous in the 60s. They're EVERYWHERE.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Harry Privates posted:

Chicago goons what are some of the best record stores in the Chicago area?

Reckless Records is alright. Dave's Records (at 2604 Clark) is the poo poo.

Here's an old blog someone wrote about this subject

http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/windy-city-wax-5-great-chicago-record-stores/

It has some pictures of Dave's, which should be enough to make you fall in love.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6012-Record-Care/dp/B0009IGAPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314056106&sr=8-2

Is this a good buy? I need something to clean my records, or am I better off just making some cleaning solution?

EDIT: Well I'm poor, so I didn't even own an anti-static brush, so I made picking that up first priority. When I next have money I'll get a cleaning kit.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 23, 2011

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I got my copy of Head Hunters for $2. It's pristine; I'm convinced the owner of one of the record stores around here is a racist. His bargain stuff is all amazing albums by black artists like that, while every lovely Van Halen compilation is like $18.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

Now what's almost as bad is that instead of all Ebay record dealers using the same universal grading system that everybody understands they come up with their own version of that. So now we have VG++ and NM- and all kinds of other bullshit which is often a clever way of disguising that a record is in subpar condition.

The best is when they have a grade and a description that don't match at all. Like "VG++, cover is split on all sides and the record itself has a crack in it, but other than that it's MINT"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

theradiostillsucks posted:

Coincidentally, you can swap out "Kings of Leon" for "My Morning Jacket" in your first paragraph and it still works, though It Still Moves was enjoyable.

I don't know that would mistake this for Coldplay, but whatever.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ted Leo quit touring a while ago, because he purportedly couldn't afford to play music full time anymore (I'm not sure I buy that whole-hog). I'm not saying that it's a musician's express prerogative or right to live lavishly, or decently, or even exclusively on the income generated by his/her work, but I have a problem saying "welp, tour more and maybe keep your day job. It's the 21st Centureeee" so cavalierly.

What? I saw Ted twice in 2011.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

30 bucks for a 2 LP is pretty much the going rate. A lot of times it's 40-50.

That's really high. Every new double album I've got on Amazon is like $20-$25 tops.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Farts Domino posted:

Man, I ended up not getting this album because I was waiting for the vinyl release, then by the time it had my enthusiasm had died. This I can do.

I was literally just thinking this today. Glad I waited, love the cover on this album.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

gently caress, now I actually have to bother with Record Store Day.

Likewise. Though it was pretty easy to find some of the DEVO releases well after RSD last year.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

I always wonder what kind of person can actually afford to spend that kind of money on a record and have no qualms about it. Even if I could piss away that amount on an item like that I wouldn't even consider it because there's so many better ways to spend thousands of dollars.

There's a type of hobbyist or collector that's just beyond anything that makes rational sense.

You'll always see them at record fairs or comic book conventions. They'll have a massive, 5" binder with just hundreds of pages of stuff to buy in an itemized list. For them, the hobby isn't about finding stuff you like or getting a great deal on a classic. It's about trying to own everything.

It's sad :/

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Went to a record fair today and blew a quarter of my paycheck. I also found a dude that will buy my excess Psychic TV records! Stoked on getting Christ: The Album and the first Poison Girls record.

Was it CHIRP record fair in Chicago? That would be an a
amazing coincidence, because I was there and picked up the album of your avatar. Among others.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's no shame in Urban Outfitters clearance records. I got Liquid Swords for $10! Same for the newest Of Montreal. Not crazy about the album but the seafoam green color is amazing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I Might Be Adam posted:

I know the mono masters for the earlier albums sound superior but what's the deal for people who are running their turntable through a stereo set up? I know mono means one channel and stereo is 2 for stereo mixes but I guess I was always kind of confused on the matter. If I play a mono copy of Rubber Soul, am I going to get sound out of only one speaker or am I going to get the same sound out of both speakers? I feel dumb even asking this question.

edit: and I'm fairly sure I know the answer. ugh

You get the same sound out of both speakers.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

I don't own a single digital listening device and the vast majority of my music is on vinyl, so for someone like me it doesn't matter at all. Plus this allows me to maintain an air of smug superiority when ever I see someone using an iPod.

"Why do they even make DVDs? I don't have a television at home and I go to see all movies at a theater, so to someone like me it doesn't matter at all."

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Reckless Records in the South Loop is my absolute favorite. It's one of the only places I've been where their new and repressed records are competitively priced with Amazon, and they have a great selection.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Scarf posted:

The Jane Fonda's Workout Record is the diamond in the rough.

The Supremes album had these portraits intact:

Ugh, why did you have to post this? Now I NEED that Diana print for my house.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ugh, add me to the list of people who got burned by Pop Market.

I had a good experience with them in the past, but I just had the thing everyone has been trashing them about happen. I ordered the Raphael Saadiq bundle they had yesterday, it was listed as in stock. They received my order, took payment. Now the order says "Item is temporarily back ordered"

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a refund from them? That's so sketchy.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's built incorrectly and clearly overloaded. There's way too much weight on top.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Me in Reverse posted:

Dear Interpol fan,

We encountered an issue with your order for Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights 10th Anniversary - LP/DVD. You should have received your LP/DVD in January, and we sincerely apologize for the delay. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship you your Double LP/DVD as this product is now out of stock, and will not be restocked.

We have gone ahead and cancelled and refunded your original order, and although we understand that this will in no way replace the Double LP/DVD, we are shipping you a free copy of the Turn on the Bright Lights 10th Anniversary CD as part of our apology. Sorry again for the inconvenience, and thank you so much for your patience and support.

:iiam:

EDIT: If you try to buy it, it's out of stock.

So are they refunding you AND giving you the free cd? Or just the free disc.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think if he was just like "Here is these records, I have six, $40 each." No one would care.

It's the fact that he's auctioning them off one by one to drive the price up. Ugh.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Amazon is great. Every time I've gotten that message the item ended up coming on time or at the most a few days late.

I'm sure if you call them and complain they will make it worth your while. Never had a bad customer service experience with them.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

eggsovereasy posted:

Everyone's always yapping about piles of mint Beatles albums for <$10 and that just isn't happening where I am. A beat to hell stereo Sgt Peppers gets a $25 price tag on it. That said, there are about 500 copies of Rumours for $6 here. I've never looked for The Gambler.

Beatles records are always going to be expensive. They sell well to people who have no interest in records otherwise. See also: Pink Floyd.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I bought a cassette at a Nobunny show earlier this year.

I was really drunk.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can't believe I'm in a thread about vinyl where people are writing off a long-dead music format as "hipster douchebaggery"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That's awesome. That soundtrack is a white whale for so many people, considering the lovely re-interpretations are so much easier to find than the real thing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Waltzed in to RSD late, got some neat things anyway:

Jack White & The Bricks - Live 1999

Also includes White Heat DVD. This isn't a record store day release but cool nonetheless.

Steve Earle & The Dukes - Burnin' It Down

This is signed & numbered. Numbered to like 1000, but I really like Steve Earle so I don't care how fake rare it is.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Me in Reverse posted:

Fun fact: It's now been four months and a week since I was supposed to have gotten my Man With The Iron Fists Deluxe Pak from Soul Temple.

They've ignored in the range of 20 emails now, save one reply two months ago which said "We shipped them out in December, you should have gotten it."

:thumbsup:

Did you buy it on a credit card? Just dispute the charge and be done with it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Goodbye Horses is one of the best one-and-done songs of all time.

Someone sat down and was like "Hey, you know Erasure? What if it was super unsettling."

Then proceeded to make that song work.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

iostream.h posted:

I have an extra copy of Sigur Ros ( ) is anyone's interested. It's the recent Fat Cat issue from Amazon.co.uk.

I might be, depending on how much it is shipped. I don't have PMs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

iostream.h posted:

It cost me £20.80 which is $32.37 so according to the Paypal calculator I need to ask $33.64.
I won't be able to ship until Thursday however.

Human Cow can take it, if he still wants. I shouldn't be spending money on records right now anyway.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

luncheon meat posted:

As bullshit as this may sound I found weed (99% sure) crumbs/stems inside the plastic sleeve on one of my Dad's old Creedence albums.

It's possible. I bought my copy of Sgt. Pepper's at a flea market, there were obvious weed stems all on the "crease" of the gatefold.

More on the subject, when I bought my initial Prince collection (all the studio albums from "For You" to Sign O the Times, for only $10!), the copy of Prince had a pound of clippings in it. Pictures of Prince, concert listings, reviews of the Purple Rain film. Good stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WASDF posted:

I dunno, I just care more about the music than the ringwear I guess.

Just because I have a nicely maintained car doesn't mean I enjoy driving any less.

Jesus Christ.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WASDF posted:

But that may not be the case for everyone.

And? You're the one making the implication that they're somehow mutually exclusive.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Doctor Cave posted:

http://yeproc.11spot.com/sale.html

Yep Roc are having a $10 LP sale. I would recommend The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker.

It's cheesy as hell but I love that Los Straitjackets album on there too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crain posted:

So I guess this is the thread to ask this. I have a copy of "Sucking in the Seventies" that is labeled "Promotional Not for Sale".

I've always wondered what that may be worth. I haven't really been able to find anything online.

Promo copies of basically every album are actually really common. They could have been given to a radio station, club or even record store.

The best thing about them is they're often less played than traditional copies (if they belonged to a radio station). Not really worth any extra dough though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
To be fair, U-God is no one's favorite killa bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vintersorg posted:

I am with you on this... but WHICH Springsteen?

Personally, I can't stand anything made after The River.

You don't like Nebraska? Are you CRAZY?

I have every Springsteen album on vinyl in the range of Greetings from Asbury Park through Tunnel of Love.

I bought them from and old guy at garage sale for a buck a piece.