Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

I can't believe I just ordered a new My Bloody Valentine album.

Same. What the christ. At least I finally got a new stylus after the goddamn cat jumped on the turntable and bent the last one.

....unfortunately my preamp's just poo poo itself, so what the christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're probably safer listing the bad Stones studio records, since there are so many decent-to-excellent ones. Some may disagree, which is fine, but it's generally safe to skip Their Satanic Majesties Request (though I really like it), Undercover, Dirty Work & Steel Wheels. Black and Blue is uneven, people will be divided on it. Skip live records whose titles don't start with G. The real key is determining where the compilations are (there's about forty million of them) and skipping the majority of those, since they overlap so much.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, after I made my post, I ended up pulling out my copy of Satanic Majesties.

gently caress, 2000 Light Years From Home is the poo poo and a half. Also Citadel, haters get hosed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I left it off the list originally because I didn't want to get controversial. I should feel bad, yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, the thought was "Let's not drop a guy who doesn't know what the good Stones records are into a giant internet fistfight on the topic."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, my preamp loving poo poo the bed. Actually, the amp itself is probably fine, I probably just need to rewire or replace the power supply. It was kinda low-rent anyway, since I'm eighteen flavors of loving broke, but oh okay, it's actually listed as $50 online, gently caress. I'm still kinda low-rent since I'm still broke, but what do you think about it? Should I go to radio shack and try and get a new power supply, should I try doing the wiring job to the supply (the insulation's come loose from the wire around the plug and adaptor end) or should I just huck it and get a new preamp?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Amazon has been loving weird lately. My girlfriend's parents ordered a pair of fairly-commonly-available DVD box sets for me for Christmas from them, back in November, with estimated delivery being, like, two weeks before Christmas. They finally arrived halfway through January after multiple bullshit "oh we're sorry" emails.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iostream.h posted:

What's your 'here's why I listen to vinyl' album of choice? The one that (to you) perfectly exemplifies and shows off your system in ways you're most proud?

I think at the moment anyway mine would be Eric Clapton Unplugged. There's so much going on and so much 'breathing room' with crisp highs and tight but not boomy bass, works great.

My system doesn't have much to show off, but the vinyl I've had the most fun with over the years would probably be The (English) Beat's "Special Beat Service."

Actually, thinking back, the one record in my collection that absolutely slays in ways the CD hasn't (though I haven't heard the latest remasters, who knows) is King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues in Aspic." I don't think I've played it on my current, diminished setup.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Going back to that Nick Drake (I almost typed Nick Cave drat it all) conversation, is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Moon-Vinyl-Nick-Drake/dp/B001AGNRYO/

the new pressing being talked about? I think it is, but I wanted to be sure I was looking at the right thing before I went scrambling for my wallet.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Weird stuff happens in Sweden. One of my Joe Ely records is apparently a Swedish pressing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got to wonder if "vinyls" is actually the slang used by teenagers these days and we're just really that old?

I mean, I wouldn't say it, but who knows about somebody who was born after cassettes died and before vinyl started coming back into vogue?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ron Burgundy posted:

I was born in 1986 by which time CDs had been in mainstream use for a couple of years. I call them records not vinyls because I am not mentally retarded.

Yeah, I'm not talking about people your age. I'm talking about people born in, say, nineteen NINETY six.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have a problem with tapes beyond "they explode if you look at them funny or store them at a temperature higher than 50 F."

e: Today is apparently a Wren Can't Grammar day.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 18, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sadly, I do not have any numbered limited vinyl, but I do have a crazy-low-number Mountain Goats tour poster. 4/100.

edit: Correction! I've got #814 of ??? of Idlewild's I'm A Message 7", which I found at a Half-Price Books I think. Nothing fancy at all.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 20, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Was stuck in traffic yesterday afternoon, commuting home, hot and annoyed. Decided to hop off the freeway and stop by a salvage/auction place I occasionally check out for weird furniture or musical instruments. Ended up grabbing Death of a Ladies Man and New Traditionalists in really nice shape. I'd have left with a copy of Off The Wall as well, but the record didn't look to be in as good a shape as the others.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got to go to the store today! Nothing exceedingly rare, just some music to listen to.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Death is loving awesome. There's a documentary about them now. The name of it is A Band Called Death. It will be hitting various theaters over the next few months.

Rad. I've only heard a song or two of theirs, but I love the sound of American protopunk, so I'm going to have to spin this and check that.

Jasta posted:

Awe, man, my tuntable only plays 33/45/78. Where did you find one that can also play switchblade? :v:

Blarf, I didn't even realize I left it out from when I opened the records.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mono is not always better than stereo, but in those earliest days, the majority of stereo mixes were "Well, we'll just put the rhythm tracks in this speaker and the backing vocal tracks over here and then the lead vocal WILL BOUNCE BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN TWO SPEAKERS AREN'T WE loving CLEVER." (Sorry, I had some 60s stuff in stereo on my mp3 player at work the other day and I'm still annoyed.) It's specifically a wider gap when dealing with The Beatles' material since the band generally left the studio after the mono mix was completed, leaving it to George Martin and company to figure out a stereo mix.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The run-out groove will have a final, locked groove where the needle stays in place.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now, if Shellac had put out a record on shellac...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

For me, it depends on whether the soundtrack is primarily a single artist or not. The More Soundtrack gets sorted under P. The FM soundtrack (many different artists) gets sorted with Various. My brain's a little fried, so I'm stretching for an example where there's something that is primarily one artist, but not wholly, and all I can think of is Tron (Wendy Carlos except for two tracks from Journey), which I'd file under C if I owned a copy on vinyl.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wilbur Swain posted:

Why bother? How much time do you save finding a record by alphabetizing by title or organizing by release date? God save me from anal retentive music fans (assuming that you all are actually music fans, which is not a safe assumption at all).

Because it's easier to look for a record by where it should be within a particular section (in this case, an artist's section) than to gently caress around going back and forth, missing it because your brain decided to not see it for some unknown reason, cursing your age and failing eyesight. Let's take, for example, someone who's into Dylan. Not even an obsessive, who's going to have an ungodly number of bootlegs and obscurities. Let's say they've got one copy each of all his studio records and live records up through the 80s. A quick hop to wikipedia tells me that means we stop at Oh Mercy and have 26 studio albums and five live ones. Now, if you want to find John Wesley Harding in there and it's not between Nashville Skyline and Blonde on Blonde (or Infidels and Knocked Out Loaded, if that's your scene) then it's just going to be a giant pain in the rear end. Sure, it's less than a foot of shelf space, but why make things harder than they need to be?

VVVV e: Well, whatever blows your hair back, man. I'm not trying to judge, I just think an organized collection makes more sense.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 15, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hooray for one-man operations.

In other news, my copy of the Sebadoh Secret EP came today. Awesommmmmme.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got back from vacation, thankfully the Goodbye Horses record was delivered to the office and not my doorstep. My note indicated I was the first man in Austin to get it---either it was just a day for gender-specific pronouns or there is a lady or several in this town who have good taste.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cheapandugly's package came through, and it is a quality thing. I am hugely pleased, thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have a vinyl copy of almost every single Billy Joel release until the '90s, no joke. I'm from the Tri-state, what do you want me to say?

Billy Joel owns and anyone who would disagree is going to have to fight me. :colbert:

I was born in New Jersey, and I find myself constantly having to explain Billy Joel to confused Texans. There's one in my circle of acquaintances who was under the impression that the nearest equivalent to Billy Joel when she was growing up in the mid-70s was Barry Manilow. What. WHAT. NO.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Between cassette tapes and Billy Joel you guys are really starting to scare me,

Oh come on. I like adventurous and heavy music as much as the next guy, I just consider it part of a balanced diet, along with my classic rock, pop hits, jazz, etc.

The worst is when you have That Guy who only listens to something obscure and/or off-putting, mostly because it makes him feel superior to those around him with lesser taste (I knew a dude like that once; he was obsessed with Gong and Gerry Rafferty and thought Van Der Graaf Generator's "Killer" was deep and meaningful. Prick.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Sorry, you're right, to each his or her own. My tri-state area upbringing gave me an early Billy Joel overexposure and I'm basically allergic now. I'm like the Bubble Boy for Billy Joel and Bruuuuce.

I can understand that. My Jersey origin makes me cringe whenever someone mentions Bon Jovi.

landofcake posted:

I've got a sneaky suspicion it's going to be a good evening ... (apologies for lovely phone camera):

Oh man, I just heard Tab for the first time recently, poo poo is amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In more unifying news, my copy of Dumb Numbers came in today...

...supposedly.

The note in my mailbox says two packages arrived.
The checklist in the office says they got two packages.
And yet, there was only one package in the office.
Which was not a record.
I am perturbed.

On top of that, the woman in the office somewhat suspects they may have just handed it over to some other guy who comes into the office ordering 5-6 records a week, assuming it was his. Though they say they don't think they saw him today.

I asked them to continue looking for it. If it really did get handed off to some other person, I am going to flip my poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The retro video games thread has been having a lot of fun with their secret santas, the second or third one is wrapping up soonish (basically when the last few packages reach their destinations) and is already developing into a mini-culture, with certain terrible titles being sent along for fun alongside actual good games and hardware, often stuff from people's wishlists. Also to prevent overlap, some people will post lists of what they already own. Their cutoff is $50, but $50 in games is way lighter than $50 of vinyl. (Also, I don't think they consider shipping costs as part of the price cutoff?)

e: Also, I just found a new thrift shop and decided to do it old-school; buy poo poo that's either awesome or crazy or both. A dollar a piece, gently caress it, let's buy some records.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I would do bad things for that record.

And what's great is that Boris knows how to play quiet as well as loud---that's got to be an honest tribute with that cover.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Speaking of dirt on records, my turntable's slipmat attracts a lot of scrud from the environment, which then inevitably ends up on my records. Suggestions on a slipmat that's easy to just can-of-air-off or something, or should I just brush every side of every record that touches the one I've got?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Foreign pressings are always cool. I have a Swedish release of a Joe Ely record that I'm inordinately fond of.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh goddammit. I want that Melvins record, but I don't have the dollars to spend on it. Curses.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Holy poo poo that rainbow splatter is the best anything ever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Lenin posted:

Put Phil Collin's Face Value on 45 RMP and increase the pitch to hear Michael Jackson's cover of "This Must Be Love".

Playing with RPM and pitch is rad as heck sometimes

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves at 75% actually sounds halfway listenable. That poo poo is a treble icepick otherwise.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

Being 30+ years old, this system has some quirks. For one, the turntable continuously runs when it's plugged in. There isn't a way to stop it. Not a huge deal, just sort of annoying -- means I have to use a powerstrip and turn off the whole strip whenever I'm not listening to music.

The idea with this is that there should be an electrical outlet in the back of the receiver that the turntable is plugged into, so that the thing only turns on when the receiver is on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hadn't realized the platter was actually spinning the moment the table received power.

Yeah, that's some hosed-up hardware.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I use a Stanton T-60 myself---I haven't noticed any problems, but my ears are probably too beat up to notice really fine details getting lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

I've never collected vinyl, and I don't even know how to use a turntable. But I recently bought this because I wanted the 7(!) bonus mp3s. And for some reason, even though I can't listen to it, I really enjoy owning it. I love the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it comes in a paper sleeve inside a cardboard sleeve inside a plastic bag. So I've decided I'm going to start collecting 45s. It helps that my favorite band has put out a bunch of them, so I just ordered 3 from the interwebs. These things make for great collectors items with all the different pressings and colors and such. And they're cheap, which is good because I'm pretty poor. Am I crazy for collecting records I have no intention of listening to?

It's a little crazy, but we all do crazy things for music in here. Trust us on this, though. Get a turntable. Learn how it works. It may be :retrogames:, but it's magic that you can't replicate anywhere else.