Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Hey New Yorkers, Insound is having a warehouse sale tonight starting at 6 PM. Come on down to our office (61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225), save on shipping, and say hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

CharredBronson posted:

Then I landed on the ATLP120, which I guess LOOKS like a 1200, but is way cheaper. Not being an audiophile in any sense of the word, and being the type of person that will likely only listen to the odd 7" or special edition only available on vinyl, am I really going to notice much of a difference? I'd just be hooking the thing up to a Pioneer 1018AH-K, which is more of a home theater unit than anything, and have no plans of ever messing with an analog unit.

I've got one of these and it works really well all-around. It's sort of like the Squier to the 1200's Fender in that the budget variant works almost as well as the higher-priced original, and you'll only notice its shortcomings if you care way too much about pristine audio quality. It's a really solid option for a manageable price, although it helps if you find yours on the street :whatup:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
This week, Insound is discounting select vinyl titles by 30%. Take a look.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Insound deal of the week: Free shipping on domestic orders over $100! GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Oh hey guys, don't forget to enter the code july10 on your next Insound order for an additional 10% off!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I went ahead and made a thread for download codes in Coupons. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426248

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
This week at Insound, we're cutting prices by 15% across our entire stock. And we now accept Paypal for all orders. What are you waiting for?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
This week Insound's offering a 15% discount on recent and upcoming releases like the new Battles, Washed Out, Das Racist, and Weird Al. Hell yes.

Tiny Faye posted:

Finally figured out my Insound order in light of the 15% off everything sale. Picked up the limited run of Holy Ghost's s/t LP, the Queens of the Stone age s/t reissue, and Out Hud's Let Us Never Speak of it Again. Only took me 2 hours to figure out an order that wouldn't put me in the poor house.

I think I might have packed that order yesterday. Hope you enjoy your new sounds!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
30% off Insound's vinyl overstock. Act fast to get some killer records at impossible-to-beat prices.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Not an Anthem posted:

I dunno if this is the right place for advertising your work, searching similar prices shows that lots of online stores have those prices pre-shipping, and 2$ more shipped, so they're also not "impossible to beat." If you only have those prices at a 30% off sale then most of the time the rest of the internet is cheaper, let alone finding used or whatever in store locally. Local shopping also supports your local record store.

I am not a mod nor owner of the thread, but usually people just post about records they get.

I have no problem with online shopping, I do it for getting stuff from spain/UK/japan, but try to find local distributors first.

Sorry, I just figured that those into buying vinyl records would want to know about the weekly deals we have going on, I always try and make an effort to not clog up the thread too much. And yeah the prices might be beatable by other retailers, but where else can you get a mint-condition record, still in shrinkwrap, packed with the utmost love and care sent directly to your door for that low of a price? :3:

But seriously dudes, support your local record store. They probably need the money more than we do.

Juaguocio posted:

I haven't got much of a collection yet, but I realized the other day that I have a pretty cool set of releases from local sludgemasters Haggatha:

oh my god these guys are amazing. Thanks for the rec, dude!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Inspector_71 posted:

So the [Pias] warehouse was burned to the ground in the riots in England.

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.

Heard about this today, and I really hope they'll be able to make a recovery somehow. What a drat shame. :(

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
We'll be having another warehouse sale at the Insound HQ on August 25 at 6 PM. We're at 61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225 in Brooklyn, so come on by if you feel like saving on shipping and meeting the folks behind the website!

Wilbur Swain posted:

http://einestages.spiegel.de/external/ShowTopicAlbumBackground/a23303/l0/l0/F.html#featuredEntry

1960's era Soviet bootleg records made out of old x-rays.

THIS IS SO drat COOL.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
:siren: INSOUND WAREHOUSE SALE TOMORROW :siren:

fozzie dunlop posted:

We'll be having another warehouse sale at the Insound HQ on August 25 at 5 PM. We're at 61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225 in Brooklyn, so come on by if you feel like saving on shipping and meeting the folks behind the website!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Use the code turntables20 at Insound this week when ordering a turntable to get 20% off. I recommend the Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Numark models, and the Vestax is great if you can afford it. Stay as far away from the Crosleys as possible.

http://www.insound.com/turntables/all/

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Have A Nice Life's DEATHCONSCIOUSNESS is getting reissued on vinyl. Good news for us fans who held out on buying the first pressing secondhand for the low low price of $100 on Discogs. Get it while the gettin's good, this is guaranteed to sell out fast.

If I may pimp this for a bit, this is probably the best release of the last decade that almost nobody knows about, and you really owe it to yourself to check it out if you're a fan of bands like Joy Division, Sunn O))), Xasthur, Death in June, and My Bloody Valentine. I have no idea how they get all those disparate influences to come together so well, but dear god it's loving glorious. Also comes with a 75-page booklet detailing the (probably fabricated) history of a super-obscure Medieval pseudo-Christian death cult!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I find that the album format generally works better for some genres than it does for others. Dance music, for example, relies mostly on singles rather than entire albums, and hence dance albums aren't usually that cohesive. In my experience they aren't easy to listen to all the way through without getting burnt out unless the artist has a good understanding of album flow - and even then there's bound to be at least a few duds (ie. that obnoxious Yuffie rap song on the first Justice album). Most of the time the dancefloor demolishers that you bought the album for are sandwiched between meandering "intros" and overproduced synth farts that never really go anywhere. To say that other genres aren't also guilty of this would be dumb, though.

Oh and we're having a 30% off sale on our overstock this week, so grab some mint copies of cool stuff for mad cheap here.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MokBa posted:

Haha, sorry man. Isn't it oh-so-pretty though? :allears: I've already given it a couple spins in the <2 days I've owned it. Speaking of things, I saw that http://www.insound.com site that was posted a few pages back, and it is my new favorite. I came across these:

http://www.insound.com/EVOL-Pink-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89691/
http://www.insound.com/Sister-Purple-Vinyl-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89688/

Do they seriously still have copies of the Pink and Purple versions? If only 500 of each were made, you'd think they would have been long sold out by now. Either way I have to get E.V.O.L. because it's the version with the endless groove at the end of "Expressway to Yr. Skull" instead of the one that ends in "Bubblegum". My very first proper concert at age 15 was Sonic Youth and they ended the night with a long rendition of "Expressway" so it's very near and dear to me.

Last I checked we still had plenty of the colored copies in stock. I'll pack your order with love and caring :3:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

theradiostillsucks posted:

Good news for metalheads: hot on the heels of Back on Black's reissue of Bolt Thrower's In Battle There is No Law, Metal Blade will be reissuing all of Bolt Thrower's Metal Blade albums (Mercenary, Honour Valour Pride and Those Once Loyal). Of course, the real coup would be for Earache to reissue the really classic albums that routinely fetch high prices, but I'll take what I can get, especially considering how consistent a band they are/were.

FVKK YES :black101:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

trdn89 posted:

Hey, does that guy who works at Insound still post in this thread? I just got an offer emailed to me hawking preorders of Dropped Piano by Tim Hecker for 10% off, but I'd already preordered on 10/18. Any way I could get that discount applied to my existing preorder? I'd responded to the email offer but haven't heard anything back yet.

You should email our customer service address. They should be able to get that straightened out for you.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MokBa posted:

lotsa vinyl!!

Sweet haul, man. Glad to see your Sonic Youth made it over in one piece. And drat but I wish my copy of Loveless was as cheap as yours :(

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

alg posted:

That spring goes into the feet. They are spring loaded to increase stability, I guess. They go around a screw in he middle of the foot.

Oh, that makes sense. I initially thought it might have been an improvised 45 adapter at first, but as far as jury-rigged 45 adapters go a spring would be a pretty poor choice.

Also it's time for some Insound holiday vinyl deals!!
1) Buy yourself a turntable and get a $20 coupon for a free LP.
2) Buy any 10 of our top-selling records of 2011 and get 20% off your order, plus a free tote bag.
3) All domestic orders over $175 get free shipping this holiday season.

There are other deals on the site too like discounts on CDs, but I'm not going to post them because 1) this is the vinyl thread and 2) who the gently caress still buys CDs?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

cheese eats mouse posted:

How long is this happening? I'm working lots of OT and am expecting a fat check next Friday.

No worries, it's on for all of December. Splurge away!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

NESguerilla posted:

At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul (colored ltd to 1000)

I need this. Like, a lot.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Waiting for *Doom/Shoegaze/Post-Punk* Records to Come in the Mail :\

Is it in the mail yet? I'm so antsy about this :ohdear:

Also NESguerilla you can email me at samjolnir at gmail dot com to discuss pricing/shipping. Thanks, man!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Happy holidays from everyone at Insound! This week you can enter the code happynewyear15 when checking out your purchase for 15% off fuckin everything until midnight on January 2nd. HAIL SANTA.

My collection's ballooned out quite a bit with holiday gifts, so I'll be sharing some awesome pictures with the vinyl thread soon :3:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

cheese eats mouse posted:

What are you all using to protect your box sets?

I keep them in a dedicated cabinet in my desk. If there's space to spare in the box itself then I put the records in those plastic sleeves, but I'm usually not that lucky.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm trying to think...

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Flaming Lips - Telepathic Surgery
Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
Flaming Lips with Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Boris - Feedbacker
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Black Moth Super Rainbow/Octopus Project - The House of Apples and Eyeballs

Feedbacker has a locked groove? I guess the pressing I have doesn't :sigh:

Godspeed's f#a#oo has a locked groove on the B-side as well.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

CPL593H posted:

What worries me about this is when the sales from bandwagon hoppers dry up. It's probably a safe assumption to say a lot of this surge is because of people who just view the format as a novelty and as such they don't really ever invest in it. It makes me concerned that once those people tire of the whole thing the record companies will stop making vinyl LPs once again. Although I suppose one could point out that the surge in sales is obviously due to vinyl records being more widely available than they have been in a long time.

The uptick in sales is certainly due in part to how much more available vinyl is than how it was in the 90s, where flea markets were often all most people had. It's also become more of a trendy thing, as audiophiles everywhere continue to extol the "warmth" of the format and club DJs prove that analog has the best sound on the dance floor. There will always be a market for vinyl, although it will certainly be much smaller than digital formats. A lot of people we deal with at Insound, however, view vinyl more as a thing to collect and invest in and sell on eBay twenty-odd years down the line, like Pokemon cards or something. There's lots of folks out there who buy tons of vinyl that they never even listen to or even let out of the shrinkwrap. A lot of them don't even have turntables! So whether consumers are chasing the purity of analog sound or they just want to squirrel these wonderful records away and never listen to them ever (llloooosssseeeerrrrrssss), there's no doubt that there'll always be someone who wants to buy vinyl, and there'll always be a good number of labels catering to them. The format's refused to die for over a hundred years, and it won't be going the way of Betamax anytime soon.

And here's my obligatory Insound pimping. We got some pretty affordable Tool (except for that Lateralus pic disc), and some Florence as well:
http://www.insound.com/search/?query=tool
http://www.insound.com/search/?query=florence+machine

Oh and our 2011 staff picks are 11% off for the next few days.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

CPL593H posted:

There's a pretty big difference between paying a few bucks to hang up an old Sgt. Pepper sleeve and pissing away hundreds or even thousands of dollars to have some kind of weird street cred status symbol. Plus there's something that just bothers me about people who hoard records with the explicit intention of never playing them.

There's nothing wrong with buying music, especially in this day and age, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I have a very special hatred for the folks who prefer to look at their records instead of listen to them. If you've ever had to re-send orders because the original record arrived in "unacceptable condition," (read: immaculate record; >1 inch fold in the corner of the original's jacket) you'd understand.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Not an Anthem posted:

If you listed the fold you wouldn't have the problem. Immaculate (mint) means immaculate, not "one inch fold in cover." I have a very special hatred for people who don't describe any problems. The Infest/Pissed Happy Children split flexy I bought a long time ago had a loving CREASE in it that they neglected to mention. A crease in the RECORD. Problems include anything that would make it a smidge less than factory perfect.

Minor damages to the packaging are going to happen more often than not during the course of shipping, no matter how hard we prepare for it in the packing phase, and it's pretty foolish to expect every album sent via mail to be absolutely factory perfect after it makes the long journey to your door. I've had plenty of experiences with Gs listed as VG+s on eBay and Discogs, and that poo poo really sucks. We've also sent out several records that were flawed in the printing process, (Richard Hell - Destiny Street was hella warped and A Place To Bury Strangers - Exploding Head came with locked grooves all over the place) and once we figured out what went on we immediately refunded or remailed everyone's order, because hosed-up records that should be mint are an enormous disappointment. But although the packaging might be inconsequentially flawed, the record itself is often flawless. And if you care that much about preserving the immaculateness of the record jacket or inner sleeve, go buy your records at a brick and mortar to avoid the inevitable tossing and turning that's due to happen if you get it shipped.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

alg posted:

Man I know this is :goonsay: as gently caress but I wish y'all shipped your products faster :( I placed 2 orders around noon on Friday and they haven't even shipped yet. If I could've found them on Amazon they would be here tomorrow, free shipping.

It could be backordered, I've been waiting on the reissue of the first Jesu album for two months. :( Sometimes we forget to send out the shipping notice when processing orders, but you should definitely contact customer service if you haven't heard anything in two weeks.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Action Serious posted:

So I've got a record player that's on it's way out and I've got no way of repairing it and need an upgrade anyway. Even after reading Amazon's reviews I figured you guys would be the one's to ask this question, I've been looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP60 and the Audio Technica ATLP120 and while I'm sure the second is probably better is it worth the price difference? I guess I'd prefer the ATLP120 just based off of the reviews I've read for both, but if the LP60 isn't bad and people here have good things to say about it I'd be open to saving the cash.

Definitely go for the 120 if you're choosing between the two, but don't be afraid to look at other options. I've got a Gli-Pro SL2100 that works great and is in the same general price range, and I can't recommend it enough.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Portland nerds will recognize the places, the rest of you will recognize the feelings (its not really funny, but some of it made me laugh out loud)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jJHSS2UZs

Oh god add this to the OP

MokBa posted:

I like ordering from Insound because I know that fozzie will package it with love and care. :3: And this Friday I'll be getting Theophilus London, Broken Social Scene, and Parenthetical Girls from them. Amazon doesn't even have two of those and the other is much more expensive.

:hfive:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Not an Anthem posted:

The crease is inconsequential and doesn't hurt playback but its like buying a new car with some paint blemishes. That sucks.

The way you phrase this makes a lot of sense, so sorry if I seemed to compare our perfectionist customers with some of those Wal-Mart horror stories. I'm probably more peeved at a few of the lazier interns doing the packing than I am with those folks. I always pack our orders the best I possibly can, but I can't pack all of them. Sometimes records get damaged with a minor crease in the corner, sometimes it's worse, and we do try to avoid those scenarios whenever possible by stressing the importance of doing a bang-up packing job.

Actually, this would be a good time to talk about proper packing of records. When you're mailing LPs, be sure to put in plenty of insulating packaging material. At Insound, we usually use a cardboard flat and a square of bubble wrap on either side of the record in the mailer, with squares of bubble wrap in between each record for multiple orders. I've gotten shipments from eBay and Discogs sellers where the record was packed with a crumpled-up sheet of old newspaper on one side, and nothing else. Don't do that.

alg posted:

My Insound order came in packed just dandy. Sorry for the :spergin: earlier :shobon:

No worries bro, enjoy your new sounds!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

rings of bonzo posted:

im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files? i have done some reading, but everyone seems to say different things, some say the digital capturing process creates distortion, others say that is a complete lie created by people who prefer vinyl, blah blah blah.

i want to get into vinyl, but id like to find out some quality information first.

Pretentious hipster douchebag answer: Vinyl and analog is akin to a roaring fireplace, whereas digital is a thermostat.

Realistic answer: After listening to something on vinyl the digital format of the song sounds a bit more brittle and tinny to me, if that makes sense. I don't really collect vinyl for superior sound or "warmth," though. I like having my favorite albums in tangible physical form instead of a bunch of abstract files kicking around on my hard disk.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Seems like people are finally starting to receive their copy of Deathconsciousness

I've been watching my mailbox like a hawk. Also finally got my copy of Jesu's self-titled that I ordered from Insound in like November.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
So I've left Insound for greener pastures, but y'all should definitely enter the code febstorewide15 if you'll be making any purchases this week. 15% off EVERYTHING.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
If anyone wants these codes, snatch 'em up! The hosed Up might have been nabbed already (I got it used), but hopefully someone gets lucky :3:

hosed Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
http://www.matadorrecords.com/mp3promotion.php
UPC: 744861080718
code: FUCKEDC6TPVVEW

Zola Jesus - Conatus
http://sacredbonesrecords.com/download/
code: 65X9HK52

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Only six months later and I finally have my copy of Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness...

My favorite album of all time, so I didn't mind the wait.

Ugggh i need my copy :(

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
:siren: :rock: :black101: WHO WANTS SOME loving METAL :black101: :rock: :siren:

Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom

URL: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/yum
code: KMX4-637S

Deafheaven - Roads to Judah

URL: http://www.deathwishinc.com/downloadvinyl
code: 124-7928LAAOAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

alg posted:

http://www.bluecollardistro.com/atalossrecordings/product_info.php?products_id=7035&cPath=719_721&store= the body and braveyoung split is up for preorder . This is a menacing record.

Oooohhhhhh yessssss. Preordered, thanks for the heads up!