Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, my copy of Arcade Fire's The Suburbs has a locked groove at the end of "We Used To Wait."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
My local record store said they're only getting "one or two" copies of Devo's Live in Seattle disc. This worries me . . .

I'd better get there bright and early.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Thought I'd let ya'll know that I've put a post selling a sizable chunk of my vinyl collection of in SA Mart. Some quality stuff over there, like some Beatles, Bowie, Zappa, Dylan, and other assorted oddities. If you're in the market, I'm going to give some great deals to goons!

For some content, that SEGA vinyl is totally dope. I've been trying to find it for some time! Fine time I picked to take a break from record buying. Wasn't that a promo of some kind?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

the posted:

This happens to me at my local GCF Donation thrift store. Vinyl is $1 flat rate regardless. 99% of the time it's just absolute junk there, but occasionally there will be absolute gems, and I just slowly pick it up and walk to the register acting like I'm helping them out by taking this junk off their hands.

edit: Here's every record I own. Feel free to nitpick.

I love the Pennies from Heaven soundtrack as well. Such a great compilation of that stuff. Fantastic movie, too.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

Bah, I have the ORIGINAL issue, with a gold emboss on the back telling me "FOR PROMOTION ONLY. OWNERSHIP BY CBS. Sale is Unlawful" because Wendy Carlos is loving awesome :colbert:

Plus the original cover is better than just an image of the poster for the movie.

I also found a good copy of Switched on Bach at a thrift store. Original issue too, with "Bach" sitting down.

:hfive:

This album kicks all kinds of rear end. I often put it on when I'm falling asleep. One of my all time great thrift store finds.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

izationalizer posted:

This guy is in the process of listing some cheap records, e.g., a couple King Crimson records ("In the Court of..." and "In the Wake of Poseidon) for $6 each w/ free shipping. Not bad!

Totally bought the Japanese pressing of Devo's Duty Now for the Future from this guy for $15. Goddamn what a steal, and with free shipping too!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Boinks posted:

Got my copy of Lost Themes in the mail today! This is the first LP I've ever bought that was made after 1989 and I can't wait to listen to it.

Came with a code to download the MP3s too so that was nice.

drat, that picture in the gatefold is awesome. Can't wait to pick this up this weekend.

Also, I'm not sure if anybody cares about soundtracks in this thread, but a pretty cool one went up at http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/11709477-george-a-romeros-martin. If you haven't heard the score, it's a pretty unique one.

Great cover art, too.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Boinks posted:

Check out what arrived today!

Transylvanian Flashback Black & White Swirl limited to 500 copies.

That's awesome! Glad you like it! (disclaimer: I'm one of the owners of the label)

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

From the same goon label that put out the Martin soundtrack featured on the last page. No release date, but I'd expect it to come out around the same time as the blu-ray restoration.

Edit: Torgo's theme is a locked groove. :getin:

It should be out in September. We'll be making a more formal announcement very soon.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ernie. posted:

wait what, Ship to Shore PhonoCo. is goon-run? :D

i really dig the class of nuke em high soundtrack you guys put out last year and you should release way more stuff imo

Thanks!

We've got a lot planned. Manos, the Mother (Earthbound Beginnings) soundtrack, Mother 2 (Earthbound), plus some other things that are in the negotiation stages. Plus our Martin release just dropped last week.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

Is Mother 2 a straight game OST or will it be an arranged album like Mother 1 is?

Got mine too, it looks loving awesome. :hellyeah:

Mother 2 is medleys of music straight from the game. Another double LP set.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

It is legitimately the weakest Daft Punk album.

You're setting the bar pretty high there. It's still a drat good record.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If anyone is interested, Ship to Shore PhonoCo. (my goon run label) has just put up our Manos: The Hands of Fate LP for pre-order on red/black swirl "The Master" vinyl at http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/13817541-manos-the-hands-of-fate.

melvinthemopboy3 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 3, 2015

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Boinks posted:

Page not found.

Are we going to get first dibs on the Mother pre-orders? ;)

Oops, accidentally included the period. Fixed that!

MOTHER pre-orders will be going up on August 26th, along with pre-orders for another, very special release that has since been unannounced.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

I already did the Mother kickstarter, now gimme that Earthbound kickstarter.

You'll be in for a nice surprise on August 26th...

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone is an easily digestible, haunting album the band recorded right after 9/11. It's an easy listening and probably the highlight of their current (?) state. It's my go-to for a suggestion for their more pleasant side.

My favorite Residents album is also the most impenetrable: Not Available. It sounds utterly alien, I can't even imagine in my head it being recorded in a studio by a group of human beings. It took their Theory of Obscurity (an Artist's best work being produced in total seclusion without any sort of influence from the outside world, especially any sort of audience) and took it to the most logical conclusion (recording an album and locking it in a vault, deciding never to release it until they had forgotten about it entirely).

I can go super-autist-goon on some Residents, but those two are good intros to both sides of the band.

EDIT: keep away from the late '80s/Early '90s material for the most part. It's all chintzy MIDI garbage and pretty indefensible.

Not Available is my favorite Residents album as well. There's something about it that just draws you in...it's beautiful, funny and scary all at the same time. Every time I listen to it, I feel like I figure out one thing about it only to have several new questions come up. Fantastic record.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

Score or old timey songs? This is important.

I'm almost positive that it's the score. It's also something like 4 or 5 discs.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I check my tracking number every day, no matter how many apology emails they send.

We're trying guys, I swear!

It's been really hard with this new pressing plant...the black vinyl copies they turned out sounded great, but almost immediately after they pressed those, their machinery has been breaking left and right. I keep thinking that the spirit of Torgo is somehow involved.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

Here's a cool record I just bought -- a local jazz trio did covers of some Black Sabbath and Nirvana songs, and a local brewery published the record for them.

Bonus MP3 download for whoever.

That's actually pretty drat cool. Is there a way to get it online?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Thanks, looks like I got one of the last five. Great stuff!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Good news for anyone who thought that Mike Lorenz record was limited to 50 copies, wanted one, and didn't buy it. It's actually a 250-copy run, and they just didn't mention that the 'limited to 50' copies were pre-release orders. Crushing news for anyone who bought it based on the rarity, I'm sure.

And here I am, an idiot who thought it would be worth millions some day.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

This is a lot better than it has any right to be.

This seems to be the sentiment of most everyone who has received their copy, which pleases me.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

I still find it absolutely incredible that their version of Satisfaction charted in the UK.

Great single, though. Is there a Residents thread? There certainly should be.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What a gigantic waste of time.

I guess maybe I could see it being used if you had an absolutely massive collection, but for this size collection...yeah, I don't get it.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

The mailman left the wrong package box key in my mailbox and right now I have some woman's QVC jewelry while she has my Mother OST. :ohdearsass:

Oh no! Just email us if you have any further problems and we can send you out another copy.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

UPDATE: For reasons I cannot begin to fathom, she showed zero interest in keeping this audio masterpiece and we exchanged packages.

It's a Christmas miracle!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was cleaning up my Gmail inbox and noticed the last I heard of my Manos Hand of Fate LP was an e-mail from September or October (who can tell with anglophones :shrug:)

Can you PM me your order #? We don't have any outstanding Manos orders in our system, but Storenvy makes mistakes from time to time.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Aside from junk like the Home Alone soundtrack they have put out some good poo poo like the Halloween score. That said, I still wish they hadn't acquired Death Waltz.

Their Phantasm record was pretty good.

Agreed re: Death Waltz

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

Honestly with the source they used for that album, it wouldn't matter much. And that reminds me: There's some Amazon sellers selling Miracle Witness Hour for $25 in the US now, so I might finally pick it up. Unfortunately none of them specify which color pressing they have.

Did anyone here pick up the EZ Listening re-release?

I have it. It's a really nice set and it sounds really good. Much better than the vinyl bootleg that I've had for years and certainly better than the cassette. It's cool that they did an EZ Listening version of Human Rocket for the release as well.

It's pricey, but it's worth it IMO.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Limited edition pressing of 100 for the US tour out of 500 in total.

Last night's show was a goddamned massacre, it was so good.

drat, didn't realize that this was going to be a thing at their tour. I'll be at their NYC show on the 26th. Can't wait!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I find their album with Renaldo and the Loaf (Title in Limbo) to be a really good entry point, which is odd because the album doesn't sound like either The Residents or Renaldo and the Loaf, not too overboard when it comes to the weird.

Demons Dance Alone is their sweetest, most sincere, melancholy album they recorded, like, two weeks after 9/11 when they we on tour.

Not Available is my favorite album of all time, not just my favorite Residents album. It's otherworldly to the point that I can't imagine it being recorded by 4 human beings in a studio on the planet Earth. It was recorded and locked in a vault, the band deciding it would never be released until they forgot of its existence. It's intense, the production is primordial and thickly textured, but Not Available is the deep end of the pool. The stand-outs on the tour were definitely the Not Availavle excerpts.

Goddamn, I'm 100% sure I've gone on these tangents in this thread before and have probably said the exact same loving things. Oops.

My excitement for this show just reached another level. Not Available is one of my favorite albums ever and I NEVER expected to see it performed live in any capacity.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

So it turns out Devo's Miracle Witness Hour got repressed some time back and now you can get it shipped to the US for $27, which is far better than the $50 or whatever it cost originally. Also, they repressed it in a better color than the original options (I think some of those colors are still available though):

I believe I expressed my disappointment with this release when it was announced, but I've since changed my mind. If you're going to edit that show down to 2 sides, they did pretty well with track selection and arrangement. And the remastered recording does sound a bit cleaner than the old bootleg that's circulating. Side 2 in particular is just a great sequence of rarely heard live songs and great/weird versions of familiar tracks. It's still amazing to me that these early live shows keep getting officially released in any form.

I was bummed about Nutty Buddy and Space Junk being excluded, but I just went back and listened to them and there's noticeable dips in quality during those songs, so that explains why they aren't on there.

Here is a digital code if anyone wants it:

I was also bummed abut Nutty Buddy. I think that's one of the best songs in the set.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

iluvpr0n posted:

I was excited to see this news that more Pink Floyd reissues are coming soon, but then saddened to see they're using the inferior stereo mix of Piper at the Gates of Dawn instead of the superior mono mix. It was released on CD as both mono/stereo in 2007 and in 1997 a deluxe mono reissue came out, but that's currently $90+ on discogs. Original mono releases are much more unreasonably priced. Waah~

I just want The Wall on Blu-Ray, dammit!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Get into it.

God Bless Tiny Tim is excellent. His second album is also worth picking up if you don't have it.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Selling some of my records on Discogs. Not a ton up there now, but I'll be uploading more throughout the weekend.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/ahamel7896/profile

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The virtua.zip vinyl release by George Clanton has a couple of blue splatter vinyl copies unexpectedly back in stock, if that's anyone's thing.

http://esprit.100percentelectronica.com/album/virtua-zip

e:
Might as well make it a theme post: Vaperror's Mana Pool album just came back into stock at Norman Records: https://www.normanrecords.com/records/160581-vaperror-mana-pool

Listen to it here: https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/mana-pool

Thanks for the heads up on this. I think I grabbed the last copy!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Thank you for the kind words! Great pics, too!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

No that’s another goon in this thread. I just post their stuff semi regularly because they are extremely my poo poo.

It is me, I am the Ship to Shore goon. Thanks for always posting our stuff in here, dude!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

There's still quite a few unreleased demo reels out there - probably enough for a Hardcore Vol. 3 if they wanted to do that.

Personally I'd like to hear whatever live tapes they might have from the 70s, but I'm starting to question how many of those even exist. The recent releases have just been recordings that are already circulating (Seattle 1981 was new... I think?) A vinyl version of Live: The Mongoloid Years would be nice, though that CD kinda sucked despite having the best live content they've ever put out. I asked Jerry about the full version of the 1975 show from that release on twitter and he said he didn't know where the tapes were, so there's probably no chance of a "better" version of that album. Who knows though, maybe Mark is sitting on a treasure trove. Frankly I'm surprised we've gotten any of these high-effort releases, given the state of the band.

My bet on the next release would be a Dev-o Live LP, like Rhino released on CD years ago.

edit: I completely forgot about the Max's Kansas City RSD release a few years back. That was straight from The Mongoloid Years, which makes sense because that disc is too long for one record. So yeah, probably no chance of the rest of that CD ever being re-released.

My bet is on Hardcore Vol. 3. Really surprised by this Total Devo announcement...it's a nice package and everything but what an odd album to unearth. Still, I'd rather listen to TD over Shout or Smooth Noodle Maps. Wish they would have done an expanded reissue of Oh No, It's Devo. Still my favorite of theirs after all these years. Not sure how likely that is, though...a few years back I tried to do an official release of the Oh No, It's Demos bootleg with Devo and the whole thing was shut down by Warner for....reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So Warner has this thing they do called Run Out Groove where every few months they put up three different titles for a reissue or special edition, you vote for one and the most popular is produced and then sold. Often they are things that have been out of print for a long time or otherwise never issued. This time around one of the choices is a Devo singles collection. Several of the songs are rare early non-album tracks. I know there are a bunch of other fans on here, so I figured I'd get it out there. Info here:

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/product/41456?eml=2018September10/4417862/6416261&etsubid=26090507

gently caress, thanks for the heads up. Penetration in the Centerfold alone makes this worth it.