Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
My dad came by yesterday and dropped off his two old record players, one Dual and one Thorens, with a promise that I can have his entire record collection if I want :woop:

None of the players work (i.e. spin) as far as I can tell. Dad recommended I get them serviced at the hi-fi store in town, but is there anything I can check myself first? The store option sounds like it might get expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Fyuz posted:

Today however I came home from work to find a package waiting with some cool Polish stamps on -

Inside it was -

Biosphere's ambient masterpiece Substrata. This supposed to be limited to 1000 copies but I'm not really sure how true it is, mine has no identifying marks on it or anything. Still, its pretty awesome.

How was it packed? I've been considering buying records online, but I'm afraid it'll arrive cracked or folded or something.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I've got a few extra bucks laying around and I'm probably going to get one of these:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/walker-audio-proscenium-black-diamond-turntable-III-vinyl-lp-turntables.shtml

klonkadonk posted:

Watch out SHAQ ATTACK IN THE BARGAIN BIN

Gentlemen, we have a mission :clint:

e. love the new thread title

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2012

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I'm picking up my newly renovated player tomorrow (:woop:), but it's too wide to put in the bookshelf with the rest of the stereo so I need to put it somewhere else. Are there extension cords for this purpose? I was going to ask in the store, but I thought it would be better if I had a look-around online first.

e. something like this should work right?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 28, 2012

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ron Burgundy posted:

The reason you don't hear much about extension cords for turntable leads is because the turntable-amplifier connection is extremely susceptible to the introduction of noises and should be kept as short as possible. The signal along this run is really really weak and it massively amplified at the receiver. Any introduced noise on this section is also greatly amplified. If you really must do it you will also need to run a ground wire. Any small gauge wire should do the trick.

Well gently caress, that doesn't sound promising. I might just end up moving the whole stereo instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Arrived home to find that my dad had been around to drop off his record collection.

Three crates of mixed genres, lots of classical, lots of 80's rock and pop. The complete Beatles discography.

I love my dad :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Is the player standing on a level surface? I had really lovely sound from mine at first, because I had to rig it up on a chair temporarily. The seat of the chair was sloped and therefore the needle couldn't get an even reading of the disc.