Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is there a resource that recommends which version of any release is the one to get? I’ve only just started buying vinyls and I’m kind of overwhelmed just by the sheer number of releases some albums have had. I’ve gotten lost down rabbit holes reading about remasters and the different era of vinyl production. I’d really just appreciate a list that’s just “buy this Dark Side of the Moon; buy this Houses of the Holy, etc”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Wait is it literally just a dude listening to a bunch of records and going “this is the best”?

This may have cured my OCD about this whole process.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with liking "classic rock" but if that's the only thing they like then there's a problem. I wouldn't really value the opinion of anyone who only listens to music that's on commercial radio. It just says you have no real curiosity or imagination, and limited exposure to music in general. I am not referring to anyone in this thread specifically.

I am sorry I used two classic rock albums in my example about What Is Good Vinyl (singular). I listen to more than classic rock.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Dammit. Ordered a few records from a store in Indiana on Reverb. Heard nothing for a few days then I got a tracking notice. It’s due to be delivered today and I get a note from the guy (along with a refund) saying that “whoops. Turns out I sold that years ago but I just copied all of my inventory over from discogs and didn’t edit it”

Motherfucker, I wanted that 1992 promo release EP of Hey Jealousy.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha yeah, my friend runs a Facebook group for musical history in my hometown and gets lots of old ticket stubs, flyers etc pass through. Seeing bands that became huge play for less than a drink in today's prices is always fun. I know I paid more for the parking at Metallica a few years back than the ticket cost back in the mid 90s back home (and obviously they were a big draw back then still).

A friend of mine did something similar. She works at a university and tracked down every single gig that was ever played there and released it as a chronological book.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

hexwren posted:

Money had

Baby Hold On
Two Tickets to Paradise
Walk on Water
Shakin'
Take Me Home Tonight
Think I'm in Love

which all entered eternal repeat on radio and that's five more tunes than a lot of people

The real problem is that the AV Undercover videos have all been pulled down and Coliseum had a great cover of Shakin'. Heavy riffage and the big sax line, good stuff.

The loss of AV Undercover has been a seriously crushing blow in my life.

That they never actually published the list of songs for the final years was like your significant other treating you like an rear end in a top hat before dumping you to help you get over the heartache faster.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

hexwren posted:

The last couple years did less for me than earlier on, their insistence on not bringing back artists (except when they did) really hamstrung them. There's groups and covers I dug from the last few seasons, but it genericized the sound a lot. It could still be argued it peaked with the very first episode, Ted Leo's Tears For Fears cover is loving great.

Now, in terms of whose records are going to become even more stupid expensive, Daniel Johnston.

The Ted Leo one set the bar so high. Will always appreciate AV Undercover for introducing me to Sharon Van Etten, Shearwater, and Julien Baker

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Play nothing but different versions of MacArthur Park.

Bought that album for $1. :boom:

edit: poo poo. Now that I think about it. I have a record of The Ventures covers that includes it as well.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

The online shop I’ve been using to find used records closed up last week. Does everyone here just use Discogs to find stuff online? That seems like it’s primarily European sellers; am I missing something more US-centered?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Shipping times are weird everywhere. I sent a package from Chicago to England that left on April 29 and arrived on June 3. According to tracking, it left the US on May 6, so it must’ve swum over there.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I have never looked at Bandcamp before today and now I have spent so much money.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I’m truly ashamed to have that at the top of the page. Anybody have recommendations for the easiest way to sell LPs online? Do people actually buy stuff on discogs? got those frank ocean singles and want to take advantage of some hypebeasts.

I really miss Reverb’s LP site. It had the best interface of any of the used record dealer sites.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

when did they kill that? i dont remember getting an email

Shuttered it not long after Etsy took them over. Etsy wanted them to focus on instruments only.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

The Manhunter soundtrack is absolutely essential.

Hard agree

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Majin posted:

Yeah... I think I get it now. Sorry for not reading years of backposts. And most of all sorry for harshing your buzz guys. I’ll see myself out.

Enjoy the tunes.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I bought.....a lot on Bandcamp today. I have been *inexplicably* giddy all day and now I own a lot more modern classical and jazz than I did before

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Same, though I found it thru Brad Bird tweeting about Michael Giacchino's new solo album. What an all-time great TV score.

Yoink! Thank you for posting that. Just picked it up myself.

Is there anything y’all go out of your way to buy duplicates of? Like, I have three or four versions of Jesus Christ Superstar and will pick up any variant packages of it I see.

Mondo had a Thief soundtrack with a pretty fancy cover that tempted me, but the original cover is so goddamn good that it’s tough to improve on it

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Heath posted:

How does that even happen? Did they leave it near a hot stove?

Buddy, that’s a Hot Stamper ™

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks for that!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone gotten a shipping notification from uDiscover yet?

Noppppppe

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Boinks posted:

Worth it for 50% off the Pink Floyd remasters.

Is it in store only? I’m not seeing it on site

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

apparently wal-mart replaced the cube shelves people liked with a thinner version people do not like :negative:

i kinda like the idea of something that's packable as individual cubes/creates (there's a good chance i move in the next ~year). might try some of these weird guys: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-96636247-Record-Crate-Shelf/dp/B077KZZGJV

or, the more baller option: https://www.etsy.com/listing/601590414/pair-price-for-the-best-dj-record?ref=shop_home_feat_1&variation1=1392976234&variation0=1411457823

or slightly less baller, though i think my roommate would think this is too ugly for the living room :( https://www.etsy.com/listing/637196736/4-x-flat-pack-osb-record-crates?ref=shop_home_feat_1

This was my stretch choice before I just went with ikea

https://etsy.me/331LaRf

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

One month after placing my order and a week after contacting support, uDiscover has let me know that Sgt Pepper is holding up my order

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What is the most expensive album you’ve bought off of Discogs? I am still fairly new to buying vinyl and there are some albums I would truly truly love that seem to have had limited releases. I recognize that they are being marked up to the heavens. Do I just accept that I will never own them? Or is biting the bullet every few years on something rare that you know you’re being gouged on a thing everyone does?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

That is some good life advice, and I appreciate it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I use to actually have money. Anyway, I know this sounds like a joke but I tell everyone new to record collecting. Just don't It's a huge money hole and probably not worth it. I'm just an autistic weirdo with an addictive personality and I've been doing this too long.

It’s 100% an affectation for me and I am not collecting as much as just buying music I like. I have no interest in flipping things or anything like that. I have always supplanted whatever mild personality I naturally have by buying poo poo, and I like the personal storytelling that building a record collection says about me.

I completely get that it’s a money pit and I can just listen to Spotify but it scratches a deep OCD itch in my brain

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

u_s_eh posted:

record collecting is worth it just to support the artists I care about. it's the main reason I pivoted from getting classic records to contemporary ones. bandcamp fridays were great for that. if that's hoarding, so be it

I’ve been doing this as well. I’m lucky enough to have disposable income during tHeSe UnPrEcEdEnTeD TiMeS so going out of my way to buy weird, random stuff from small artists I’ve never heard of has felt like the very least I can do

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

Discogs was getting bad before COVID but it's now a full on poo poo show. Prices are out of control.

I was looking through my want list recently and it turned into an exercise to find something I could even afford. Mr. Hands of all things is going for a minimum of $20 with numerous copies listed closer to $80. It seems like everything is median $30 now regardless of popularity or condition. It's insane.

Anymore I use it as an in-store shopping list. I probably look like an rear end pulling up Discogs in the middle of a record store, but it's been a really helpful way to find the stuff I want for in person and also stop buying dupes (which I'm guilty of doing multiple times).

You’re right about Covid. Right after the first relief check came out, I said that if there’s another check, I will splurge on Gin Blossom’s Dusted for $100. But now it’s flirting with $300 and everything seems bonkers

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

pwn posted:

Goddamn that poo poo is fire. It reminds me of the 70s NBC Orchestra (or more to the point... this track makes me think of game show music of the era.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJF7nWJE5Gk
(About a minute in)

I don’t even watch Price is Right, I have no memories associated with those tracks, and I’d buy a record of that.

Speaking of NBC musicians going hard as gently caress: Doc Severinsen with They Might Be Giants

https://vimeo.com/11906771/description

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Why not just tape the sticks across the back? Are the kallaxes flush against the wall where you don’t want to add the extra millimeters?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I wanted the records to be flush with the front of the Kallax.

Ah, ok. I thought this was a “don’t fall out the back” thing

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I have like two random versions of The Planets but would gladly get a third for that cover.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Do y’all do quarterly subscriptions and then just re-up if it’s a good quarter?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Thank you!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Just make sure the holes are fully packed with the putty.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

midge posted:

I've hosed around with used Amps for years and I'm finally feeling saucy enough to drop some money on modern (fully operational!) kit. I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio - AXA25, because it's simple and has an integrated app. Is there any Goon Approved poo poo I should look at for around $300-500? Bluetooth would be nice, but not necessary. Alternatively, has anyone got their poo poo working with Sonos gear - is it any good? I'm thinking about adding the Sonos amp.

I picked up the emotiva ta-100 and have no complaints.

https://emotiva.com/products/ta-100

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

midge posted:

Looks good, but can't see it available in Canada.

They ship to Canada. https://emotiva.com/pages/shipping-policy

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I would imagine prices for outdoor/social things will jump whenever we hit an alright spot. More or less the inverse of stationary bikes and free weights doubling in cost. While vinyl will be popular, I’d imagine some of the gouging will go down.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Should check reverb for used turntables. I got a technics 1200 for $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Lol he self banned and came back when his off site failed