Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Just got in my 12 inch of The Rapure's new single, How Deep is Your Love. It's a one sided single, so the b-side is just smooth, which is actually really strange. (the only other one sided record I have is a 12 inch of Portishead's Machine Gun, and the b-side has an etching on that one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

I wish someone would reissue "Something That No One Else Could Bring" becuase it has their 4 best songs on one 45. I think because Factory issued it there might be a problem getting the rights. I'm going to suggest it to Drastic Plastic or Captured Tracks even though they would never listen to some random customer in a million years.

I'm pretty sure all of the bands on Factory owned their own music. I know for a fact that New Order did, so I feel like that wouldn't be a huge problem. I could be totally wrong though.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Peacebone posted:

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo
https://www.matadorrecords.com/mp3promotion.php
UPC: 744861093817
Code: SMOKE847268Q9

took this, thanks!

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/43343-massive-smiths-box-set-on-the-way/

Rhino is releasing a giant loving Smiths box set, which includes 8 albums on vinyl and 25 7 inches, along with cd's, posters and some other stuff.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Uh... my wallet. I just can't resist the Smiths... even though I literally have EVERYTHING they've done already. I need an excuse not to get this. I really do.

When I ordered that Joy Division singles box set from Rhino, they didn't let me specify dollars, so you have to pay the converted price from British Pounds, which, in this case, comes out to over 500 dollars with shipping. Which is a good reason. Unless you're in the UK, in which case I don't know what to tell you.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, that Smiths set is tempting but that is way too much money. :(

I'd only really want Hatful of Hollow and the first album anyways.

there's also a Vinyl only (without singles, I think) and a cd only set on the Rhino store page. It's still really expensive though.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

There are already Rhino reissues of the individual albums. Rhino price gouges the gently caress out of their box sets anyway. I remember they had a Joy Division set which included the two albums and Still. Of course when it was released there had already been the exact same reissues by Rhino for a few years and buying them separately was something like 150 dollars less.

But the box was designed by Peter Saville! (in typical Peter Saville style, it is literally a textured grey box)

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
So today I finally got my copy of RVIVR's debut LP. It's printed on one of those covers that just folds over the record, as apposed to a sleeve (ala some 7 inch covers). I opened the cover, and on the inside is the front and back covers of Modest Mouse's The Fruit That Ate Itself. I guess they just reused old covers they had lying around and printed their stuff on the inside. I would post pics but I don't have plat, so I hope that made some sort of sense.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Extremely common in the diy (pop)punk/hxc/skramz community. Saves a lot of money and it goes without saying but: diy or die.

I figured as much, I just found it kinda awesome because I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan. My friend's was the same way, so I guess they just had a lot of copies of The Fruit That Ate Itself lying around.

e: while I'm thinking about it, can any Boston goons tell me what good record stores are in the city? I'll be up there for college. I've already been to Newbury Comics (which was boring) if that helps.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 3, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up, there's more than one Newbury Comics, of the ones I've been to the one in Harvard Square seems to have the best vinyl section. But anyway a few places you might want to check out are In Your Ear, Looney Tunes, Nuggets(kind of overpriced), and the Armaggedon Shop. There's some new place in Somerville, that someone here posted about. But I'm not sure if it's open because I haven't been there yet.

Oh and there's a shop in Harvard Square which may be of interest to any vinyl people. I think it's called Stereo Lab. They have all kinds of audio stuff. It's in the same building as the Harvard Square Newbury Comics.

Cool. The Newbury Comics I went to was the original one on Newbury St., and it had a good new vinyl selection. I just really enjoy digging through used stuff so in that area it was a disappointment.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Which college out of curiosity? Former Northeastern kid, here.

Cheapo Records in Central is decent as well as Weirdo Records (although Weirdo has a really eclectic kind of theme going on). The Newbury St. Newbury comics is actually pretty decent for used but the Harvard Sq one has a slightly better "new" section. Outside the city though there's not much vinyl at other Newbies though, but you probably won't care unless you find yourself stranded in the burbs. There's a place called In Your Ears off comm ave near BU but I haven't been there yet - heard good things though.
BU, so I guess I'll be checking out In Your Ears.

e: and the one time I was at Newbury Comics, all they had were like some used Aerosmith records and other classic rock stuff. I did find a cool 12 inch Love Will Tear Us Apart repress, but that was new. Seems to me (from generally scoping it out) that BU is fairly centrally located when it comes to record stores/venues, so I'm looking forward to spending far too much money on old pieces of plastic.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 4, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
So Jeff Mangum just put up a massive new website for Neutral Milk Hotel, including news that a new vinyl boxset is coming out in November, containing everything they've ever released (On Avery Island, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Everything Is) three seven inches (one with Holland, 1945 b/w engine, one with two unreleased tracks, one with two versions of the track Little Bird) a 10 inch with 8 unreleased tracks and two posters.

The website is here, http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html and also contains a stream with two of the unreleased tracks (Oh Sister/Ferris Wheel on Fire).

e: in my excitement I totally messed up what was actually in the boxset, fixed that.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wish there was a little bit more info on how many of those Neutral Milk Hotel box sets Mangum will be making...

It doesn't say anything about it being truly limited, so I'm hoping beyond hope it's a fairly big run, because I don't have the cash to preorder at the moment.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Mescal posted:

That neutral milk hotel site must be brilliant marketing, because this is the first time since high school I've been excited about that band.

I used to have (probably still do) two or three hundred live and demo tracks by them. Most of those on the new box set are duds when it comes to both songwriting and recording quality. Even completionists would probably spin them once and put them away. I imagine that "unreleased" means "leaked and widely available online" at least when it comes to four track and live versions.

But I loving salivate at the idea of this:

If those are truly heard here for the first time--not the versions I know--it's exciting. All of side B are solid songwriting, most of all Engine. And Oh Sister has always been the missing piece that left Aeroplane incomplete and (just barely) unsatisfying. It's a crime that song wasn't on the album.

"Home" I'm not familiar with it. Has anybody here heard it?

edit: wish i had the scratch to buy the set...

yeah I've heard a lot of live/demo versions of these tracks on bootlegs, but the version of Oh Sister that's streaming is amazing so I have my hopes up.

ALSO, for those who didn't see, all of the new tracks are gonna be on bandcamp for pay-what-you-want, so you won't totally miss out.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I just ordered the NMH set and am now incredibly excited. To those who ordered, did you get asked for a shipping address at checkout? Or does it just ship to whatever is associated with the PayPal account?

Also, to the Boston people here, I checked out In Your Ear (it's on campus and a 15 minute walk from where I live, so my wallet will hate me) and while it was awesome, I would love a store that focused more on new/used indie and punk. In Your Ear had pretty good collection, and I snagged a copy of The Make-Up's In Mass Mind, but I'd love a store that focused more on like post-punk/indie/punk/hardcore/whatever. Does such a place exist?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

It's called Newbury Comics and there's one on Newbury St. and one in Harvard Sq. Somerville Grooves has a fair bit of stuff in that vein (at a premium) compared to other mostly used stores, but not nearly as good of a selection as Newbies. The majority of the inventory is your standard classic rock fare.

I've been to the the Newbury Comics on Newbury St, but I was asking for more used stuff I guess (their used section was really bad, unless I missed it/was looking at the wrong one). Their new vinyl was great though. And yeah I definitely want to check out the Armageddon Shop.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Sooooo...I went to Nuggets yesterday, and though they had some nice stuff, it was definietly expensive. They had a (what seemed to be) orignal copy of Still by Joy Division, but I have no idea if 40 dollars is reasonable for that. Also Lightening Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain for 35.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

I got the crazy-rear end bound reissue of Still for 11.99 in an Amazon blow-out sale. :c00lbert:

I might go spend forty bucks on it...but I haven't even been to some of the other stores and that's a lot of money......

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Welp, I bought Still. Most expensive record I've ever bought, but it's an original and I've never seen Still for sale before, so it's worth it. Also, I see that I'm not the only one who uses their bed as a place to take pictures of records (at least I think that's a bed?).

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I remember the days when I thought 40 dollars was a lot for a record. I was so young then. Also I had money.

I guess not being a crazy Flaming Lips collector helps? I don't know, I'd spend a ton if the record really meant something to me. But yeah I worry about my wallet :ohdear:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

That's my whole problem. They all mean something to me, always. Basically I've reached the point where it's bordering on addiction.

Yeah, I don't buy records unless I really love them or just want new stuff on vinyl. But beyond the odd Modest Mouse or Pumpkins record, I guess what I really want isn't as expensive. Speaking of The Lips, I saw a record of theirs (the name escapes me) at In Your Ear. It was a double LP and it was blue. Might have been their first studio album.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Remember that giant loving Smiths box set? Turn out it's getting a US release, limited to 750, for $500.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/the-smiths-the-smiths-complete-deluxe-boxset?cmpid=ga

who wants to buy me a christmas present?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I probably said this before, but you can get the whole set of Smiths vinyl reissues for something like 120-150 dollars. And they are they same discs as what are being offered in this set. I know there's a bunch of add ons and CDs and poo poo, but honestly if you've got them LPs what the hell do you need to pay an extra 350 dollars each for CDs of the same thing. Hell you can probably score the CDs at ten bucks a piece if you really want them. Or less if you get them used. Rhino box sets are always a huge loving rip off.

They're always a rip off yes, but I do think this is the one set with the 25 singles.

e: also some people just really like box sets. I love box sets, I won't be getting this one, but it's cool to stare at.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 13, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I knew about the singles, but I still think that's insanely overpriced. There was a recent singles reissue box, but that it only has ten of the singles and is kind of a hot item. And as it turns out you can get the albums for something closer to 80-100.

You are completely right from a logic standpoint. I still think it's cool.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Duckula posted:

By the prices on eBay/Discogs I have picked the absolute worst time to start a Boards of Canada LP collection.

Why can't those elusive bastards come out of hiding long enough to warrant a reissue. :(

In actual vinyl pickup news I got this freebie from a giveaway on Twitter. It has the Radiohead track from their record store day release.

I tried to get that. I failed.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:neckbeard:

:hf:

I'm so excited.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/reissues

pre-orders for the first two reissues are out. they include the remastered album, 15 (for Gish) and 17 (for Siamese Dream) unreleased/alternative songs on the second disc, and a live dvd in each. Also some other random things (pictures and stuff) and new cover art. The vinyl reissue is just the album reissued on vinyl. This all seems pretty drat cool, but it also seems pretty expensive, at least for the vinyl. Someone with a better knowledge of the average price of these things (I honestly don't buy a ton of reissues) can comment on this better than I.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

That has to be a typo: only a single for Siamese Dream. Both versions I have are doubles, and that would mean each side would be over 30 minutes, and thus, sounding like poo poo. So, I really hope it's a typo, otherwise there's no real reason for anyone to get that.

Also for reissues, that's pretty standard pricing. Now the only question left is when they get to Adore, will that be the first time the album will be in stereo on vinyl, or will they use the mono mix?

Yeah I was confused, as my copy of Siamese Dream is a double. That makes absolutely no sense. It would also mean that they were charging more just because the cover is gatefold. Also I'm under the impression that all of these reissues are new mixes (I think?)

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
So I now own a 9 inch record. It's a split between The Saddest Landscape and Pianos Become the Teeth. It has an etched b-side, and is very cool.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

big business sloth posted:

new store opened up in town, they're clearly still getting everything set up, but I did find Big Black's Racer-X (92 reissue) and Headache EPs. Should be getting a big buncha punk/hardcore in soon that I'm going to dig into!!

This sounds so awesome. I'm no longer in Baltimore because of school and I miss my local punk/hc record store sooooooooooo much.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Hey, does that guy who works at Insound still post in this thread? I just got an offer emailed to me hawking preorders of Dropped Piano by Tim Hecker for 10% off, but I'd already preordered on 10/18. Any way I could get that discount applied to my existing preorder? I'd responded to the email offer but haven't heard anything back yet.

yeah he does. i'm sure he'll reply imminently.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

alg posted:

my Black Friday haul :allears:

kind of a smattering of different genres, can't wait to listen to that Night Birds LP.

Night Birds LP is AWESOME. I managed to get one of the early pre-order copies that comes with this screenprinted slipcover thing.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

You mean you didn't wait outside in line with everyone else to hopefully get that eighty dollar reissue of John Lennon's Imagine?

On another note, I saw the Screaming Females open for the Dead Weather. They were pretty weird. The singer looks way too young. I regret not grabbing their album at the show.

They're worth getting into. I'd start with Castle Talk. Here's a song

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I'm certainly interested in picking up their albums. I've just been trying to cut back on my spending lately.

Yeah, understandable. Odds are you'll see them by accident again anyway, they tour constantly.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

Stoked people are digging on the Night Birds LP. One of my favorite new bands of the past 5 years. That LP is amazing. Plus everyone needs to buy it so Alex can keep just running the label and not go back to having a real job.

Grave Mistake is a wonderful label. They put out Deep Sleep releases, who's lead singer runs the best record store in Baltimore/ever and is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Handshake Drugs posted:

One of my favorite bands is Sleater-Kinney, and last summer, I decided I wanted to collect their entire discography on vinyl. Received the last piece today:

Crap, just realized there's a 7" that came with the "One Beat" LP that I didn't include in the picture. Oh well, it's hidden inside.
I've also collected a few things from other bands the members have been a part of:

this entire post is awesome. how long did this take? just since last summer?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Handshake Drugs posted:

Thanks. Yup, I started with The Woods and then just went from there. Had all the LPs by the end of that summer and then it was just a matter of waiting for the 7"s to show up on ebay for a reasonable price.
S-K are a wonderful band. I've been trying to do the same thing with two of my favorite bands (The Smashing Pumpkins and Modest Mouse) but, as some other posters can attest, it is very cost prohibitive...

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone received their Neutral Milk Hotel box set yet?

NMH Records posted:

Hello Friends,

The box sets are done and being sent to us in waves. We will begin shipping them out early this week. Please keep in mind that we will be sending out copies in the order we received them, so arrival times will vary. We apologize for the delay. We added an insert to hold all the records and posters in place, but when the pressing people shipped the first copies to us, the insert turned out to be a bit more delicate than we had anticipated, and unfortunately was getting torn in transit. Thus we have had to experiment with different ways of shipping the box so that in the end it will arrive to you in pristine condition. We know that you've waited a long time for this and we sincerely appreciate not only your patience, but also the good faith that you have placed in us by supporting this project!

Take care-

Artoria Gibbons---NMH Records

to answer your question, soon!

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Regalia posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Got these limited editions yesterday.

I love Bolt Thrower's ridiculous, 40k inspired covers and themes. I can't get into their music though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

My Neutral Milk Hotel box set arrived today, and it is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to dive in.

I get home from school on the 21st, it will be waiting for me. did they do the digital release yet? i'd love to not have to wait to listen to some of the unreleased stuff.