Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This past weekend I took a trip to Austin, TX where I stumbled into Waterloo and spent too much money, it was my first record store trip to buy vinyl as I just bought a turntable two weeks ago.

Picked up a used copy of the Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile Remaster, Survive - HD015, and Thom Yorke - The Eraser for $80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I picked up The Cure - Seventeen Seconds and the Ghost in the Shell OST from a record store I have never been to today because i'm a sad weeb.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

found this goody behind a stack of Pitch Perfect 2 OST's and it was actually $10 off so pretty good deal there.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Just saw that oldies.com is having a big end of summer vinyl sale, with some stuff up to 50% off.

https://www.oldies.com/collection-view/Vinyl-LP-Flash-Sale.html?sort=top

you're all destroying my loving wallet stop.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Picked up some records at a local synthwave festival this weekend but in particular the real snag was Waveshaper - Exploration 84 which has a sweet laser etching on Side D

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

VMP added a bunch of things to the swap list that weren't there yesterday so I'm swapping for Daft Punk - Random Access Memories which was sold out for the past two months.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

my KMFDM - Nihil album came in and it's warped so badly it's unplayable..i'm sad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pwn posted:

Get a replacement my friend. Don’t be sad, be proactive :thumbsup:

yeah I messaged the band and Fulfillment Merch hopefully this won't be too much of a struggle. KMFDM's social media presence and merch is pretty much what pays their bills

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Going to try for a Katamari repress..wonder how fast they will sell out

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

got an email from KMFDM's PR people, they're going to replace my order.

To ease the pain I went to Newbury Comics which was having 25% off and picked up Com Truise - Iteration

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This may be a noob question, but is there anywhere to figure out what the best pressing of an album might be? With all the drat re-issues of older albums these days, I don't know which ones may be good pressings or worse pressings. Does discogs give reviews like that? Are re-issues generally bad pressings and made for money grabs? Try and find an original used in good condition somewhere?

You can pull up the release on discogs and sometimes people leave comments.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://mondotees.com/products/katamari-damacy-original-video-game-soundtrack-2xlp

for the Katamari Damacy re-press.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pretty good delivery today

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

put both hands in posted:

Is that Daft Punk record hard to find or something? 27,000 people own it on discogs. I'm thinking of getting rid of my copy, as even though it's possibly the best sounding record I own, I never listen to it

it seems to be one of those things i don't find often in stores and it's often sold out online

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheJetCityFix posted:

I'll be honest, I only know Daft Punk from what has been in mainstream media, but you guys sparked me to listen to RAM....and HOLY HELL this record is good as gently caress. I NEED this record in my collection. I don't even particularly like electronic dance music. I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

RAM was definitely them throwing their weight around as producers and just assembling an amazing line up for our ears to take pleasure in.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

never buying anything from Fulfillment Merch again, they agreed to replace my KMFDM - Nihil green edition, just received the replacement and it's side C&D only and it's not even the green version :negative:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i wonder if VMP is just going to have a bunch of random rotating stuff for swaps again, not seeing anything I super want.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Yah last month they added a large amount of stuff to the swap list after-the-fact. But with the ROTM announcement, they also noted that the last day to Swap is September 30th at midnight which seems like a LOT less time given than previous months.

agreed 3 days doesn't seem like a ton of time :/

edit: gonna pause VMP after this month, I knew the selection was going to thin my interest.

Photex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 28, 2018

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

VMP ran out of Weezer - Pinkerton records, lets see if they'll send me The Cure - Torn Down

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

silly request, can someone post the swaps available for VMP this month? I had canceled my 3 month sub and it's giving me poo poo about undoing my cancel to see the swap list.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

There are 80 records available to swap so its not exactly easy to share the list. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Not sure if you use Firefox but they have a screenshot tool for full pages it was more that I wanted to browse not looking for anything in particular

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

lighthugger posted:

Really like either modern metal/djent/industrial style soundtracks like Doom, orchestral dreamy emotional ones like Journey, or whatever that metal electro hotline Miami stuff is called - any suggestions?

Perturbator's New Model is pretty good as well.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mondo just announced re-presses of Studio Ghibili records

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-studio-ghibli-represses-dist-titles

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

$45 for the Nausicaa Symphony version on Mondo, guess i'll grab it for christmas.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Can you swap the monthly records for ANYTHING in the VMP catalog that is currently available? Or do you have to choose one of the three monthly albums they release? $27 a month (billed tri-monthly) isn't too bad for well made albums... Hmmmm...

you can swap if you subscribe for a min of 3 months, there are generally a lot of things available for swap.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sporklift posted:

They allow swaps on all subscription levels now, including the one month plan. There is usually 20 or so swap options withe the emphasis on past RotM

well gently caress me running.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

What Waxwork/Mondo Records did you get? I seem to have a similar problem as you.

If anyone was looking at some of the Newbury Comics exclusives, I found out a way to check inventory. Go to the page of the record you want to check (example below) and hit CTRL + U. On the source code page, hit CTRL + F and search for "inventory". You should see the total quantity available. I had my eye on a couple and I found out there were less than 5 left of each so I jumped on them. Also grabbed their exclusive pressing for Deltron 3030. One of my favorite hip-hop albums from my childhood and I'm glad I waited on picking up one of the recent reissues.

This MF Doom Remaster only has one left in stock. I have a pressing of this already, but it sounds like poo poo and I have heard good things about this remaster.
https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/hip-hop-rap/products/mf_doom-operation_doomsday_exclusive_2_lp?variant=10402915075

Nice tip, John Carpenter's Lost Themes only has 4 left and it's a really good album.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the Katamari album is absolutely fantastic and is definitely worth picking up..on that note I still haven't licensed to my Studio Ghibli records that I got from Mondo yet either

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, stupid question. Ordering from peeps on discogs.....I assume nothing crazy I should know about first?
Trying to get a copy of Beastie Boys "Check your head" LP to surprise my lady with. Can't find it anywhere nearby me and Amazon is a no go currently

It was a smooth experience when I ordered the Fury OST last month, a much better experience than I expected

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

Good albums to own on vinyl:
video game soundtracks

Bad albums:
everything else

Just bought https://music.gamechops.com/album/zelda-chill so yes good albums to own on vinyl are video game soundtracks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the two announced releases for Mondo this week are a wet dream for people who like Synth stuff like myself

https://burningallwitches.bandcamp.com/album/black-lake-original-soundtrack

https://mondotees.bandcamp.com/album/open-sea

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Newbury is running a 20% off online orders

https://www.newburycomics.com/

Already picked up two Dillinger albums and the last John Carpenter - Lost Themes

as stated before in this thread if you're curious how many are left in stock you can just view page source and ctrl + f Inventory

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I would advise against Newbury Comics colored vinyl variants because they're overpriced and the quality control on those pressings varies pretty wildly. Basically that 20% off brings you not far from the retail price of the normal release.

like anything just look at the discogs reviews because yeah this for sure, but there are some things that are pretty good

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Got a couple good snags in Newbury Comics this afternoon as they are still doing 25% in store, grabbed Daft Punk - Discovery for $12 and they had a clearance section of "Vinyl Accessories" so I grabbed an LP frame for my warped KMFDM - Nihil

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

man with the passing of Keith Flint of The Prodigy today that RSD release on the 13th is going to be worth a lot and really hard to get

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://neoncityrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sailorwave-ii

Pink Version went on sale at 9:00am so you got about 3-4 minutes left before it sells out if you're into Macross 82-99

edit: Sold out, both versions sold 500 copies each in 15 minutes at two different release times.

Photex fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 8, 2019

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

$26

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I checked the price on the cables that dude was talking about, it's $2000 for 6ft for what is probably just mogami in some home depot snake skin, I love idiots like this.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Shame I am travelling I really wanted the Waxtrax collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe the CEO just needs to do a kickstarter and sell some t-shirts to keep the forums alive.