Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
There is good report on pitchfork about this, they have quotes from the label heads and damage estimates. How can they find who is responsible for this? and why?

http://pitchfork.com/news/43478-labels-react-to-sonypias-warehouse-fire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

midge posted:

Is this a joke?

I guess I phrased that badly, I am well aware of what's going on over there. I was more talking about placing the culpability for what happened, down to a single person/group

Which in retrospect, is a pretty naive question.

I was more interested in the label heads saying their entire stock had been wiped out

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I posted this in the beatles thread, but didn't get any responses, so thought maybe you guys would have more of a clue about these. I just got them from my local record guy, I can't find anything out about that particular version of the Beatles in Hamburg and the Renaissance Minstrels is just a bootleg made in the 70's of some demos/unfinished versions of songs for Let It Be, the vinyl for it in the picture is actually a royal blue, but the picture doesn't really show it.

Anyone have any more info on these?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

All I can tell you about the Hamburg disc is that it is made in Australia, as Summit was an Australian distributor, in this case of a Karussell record. Karussell and Summit were legit labels, so I think that it is more of a localised version than a flat out boot. What is the content, early recordings, a concert?

It's a live recording, though I haven't actually listened yet. Cat No. is SRA 250-550, track listing is:

Side one:
1. Ain't She Sweet
2. Cry For A Shadow
3. Let's Dance
4. My Bonnie
5. If You Love Me, Baby
6. What'd I Say

Side Two
1. Sweet Georgia Brown
2, The Saints
3. Ruby Baby
4. Why
5. Nobody's Child
6. All My Love - Ya Ya

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
People are charging ridiculous amounts of money for that Mr.T ep on eBay, like, hundreds of dollars worth. It's ridiculous

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Being the friend/relative/neighbour that collects records, I found a large lot dumped in my room when I got home from work. I got through about half a dozen Nana Mouskouri records before I found a nice little collection of small run 70's Australian jazz records, many of them are signed by the bands, one had a letter to the previous owner.

It's not the find of the century, and I won't be retiring tommorow, but it's still nice to own such a piece of Australiana and only adds to what are some enjoyable records.

Can I ask what they were? Australian jazz is a bit of an interest in out family

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Latest haul

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I want to see them live so bad but they skip coming anywhere near me every time :(

I would love to see that drummer at work, because goddrat :aaaaa:

I saw them in Melbourne last year with The Antlers, I didn't know who they were at the time but left very impressed. And yes, the drummer is pretty awesome to watch, mostly because Jon (the singer) couldn't do much from behind his keyboard, so he was front and centre.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Hey so I stumbled across popmarket.com which is kind if like the groupon of music. It's run by Sony and seems to be mostly deluxe boxsets and package deals with a focus on older artists but there is new stuff too. Lots of free shipping offers as well.

Anyone ever used this site? Some of these deals are pretty good:

Johnny Cash Live at Folsom and Live at San Quintin deluxe cd/dvd boxs for $22 each

Leonard Cohen pair of live 2xLPs for $40

Muse - Absolution, Black Holes + 2nd Law on vinyl for $47

There's a huge deal on the Miles Davis discography this week and the last month featured tons of metal and hard rock bands.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They somehow got my black keys bundle to a country town in Australia in the space of 3 and a half days.

They also have a sister site called metal wreckage which only deals with metal stuff

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

nomapple posted:

Just had a look on Metal Wreckage and it doesn't look like it's very active anymore :(

What? They had a Clutch vinyl bundle and an awesome slayer bundle just last week. Maybe they update later than the popmarket site? They also only have daily deals as opposed to weekly ones as far as I can tell

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Wow that is impressive, did that ship from the USA?

Did you get the free shipping option? Were there taxes/duties/customs?

Yes, yes, no. I must have just got lucky and my order must have been filled just before they made a shipment.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Would have had one if the myplaydirect store played nice on mobile, it was impossible to get to the checkout using my phone

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know, I don't have the album. Is the purpose to listen to it through 8 speakers at once or just to listen to it all at once?

I think part of their intended listening experience is that when you listen to it, the cd players will never play in sync from beginning to end and will slip in and out of phase so that it becomes a "new song" every time. I only did it once and it was pretty cool, but a pain in the rear end to setup.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Did That on Television posted:

This is what buying records should be like all the time. Down with RSD, up with :glomp:!

American RSD sounds like a loving nightmare, I live in a smallish city in Australia where the only record shop is a tiny rented stall at the markets.

When I went down there to pick up some things the guy who ran the stall was there, and was putting through all the purchases himself (should clarify that it's just a big warehouse that rents out a small space for people to sell poo poo, they take a small cut of everything sold), and thanking everyone for supporting his business and hanging out and talking to people.

It was actually a pretty cool and surprising experience, I didn't really expect anyone else to be there

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

after the USPS's recent 800% postage increase made purchasing from a lot of other places prohibitively expensive.

What's this about?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

Check out that price tag. There were a bunch of other albums that I bought at that price but I'm happiest about that one.

When the hell did cash converters start reselling records?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
[url] http://equalizermag.com/news/vinyl-purist-identified-as-primary-suspect-in-slaying-of-22-year-old-traktor-dj/[/url]

I think this is what people are thinking when they see creepy vinyl dungeons

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Wouldn't ripping from vinyl be pointless in the first place anyway because the advantage of listening to an analog recording would be completely negated once you digitise it?

Unless that record you had was not available anywhere online I suppose

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

david puddy posted:

you poor soul

Yeah. I don't think I can ever justify buying from the USA anymore. With the aussie dollar the way it is and the increased shipping prices from USPS it usually works out to be more expensive than the actual record.

I wanted to get that Devo box set that was recently released but shipping was 60-80 bucks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Are you sure that's right? JB's catalog is weird in that they will have multiple versions of the same thing at prices that vary up to 50 bucks. I remember looking for the next day by Bowie on there and they had multiple copies listed, then a few days later just the one double lp listed at 39.99. I know I've seen those Beatles reissues in store at 35 bucks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

What's up vinyl thread. I have a few 12' LPs that I've acquired over the years, and I recently was given a Magnavox stereo similar to this one:

There are a few differences between this one and mine, most prominently a vertical (!) CD player and a plastic, hinged cover for the turntable.

Is this thing worth a drat sound-wise, or should I invest in a standalone table?

Those all in ones are terrible, and you should definitely invest in a proper turntable. There is a thread in IYG that can help you out in selecting a new or used one, I'm phone posting right now so can't get the link for you but that should definitely be your next step

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
You guys like Death records?

My brother inherited a bunch of records from a guy who, get this, was loving laser cutting them into shapes to sell as jewelery at a local market before he had to stop because the guy who did the cutting said he wouldn't do it any longer because it was loving with his lungs. Or some bullshit. So my brother took the rest from him, and there a bunch of gems in there, a bunch of old slayer, kreator, iron maiden, exodus records. Basically if it it was 80's metal it was in there. Including these, there were also some slayer records in there that were signed by everyone. It's been a while since I was there to see the collection so I can't remember exactly. There might have been a copy of Leprosy in there that was signed by Chuck Schuldiner as well.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Even under the best of circumstances, generally irritating. Like a pebble in your shoe.

First few times, I went to one of the largest stores in Denver. It was first come first serve. Other folks were pleasant, was able to get what I was looking for.

Since I moved to Burlington, VT I've subjected myself to the local record store which is probably 200 sq ft in size. They don't receive nearly the same amount of product as a larger store so they've implemented ways around fcfs to make it "fair". An hour before opening, they hold a lottery and hand out sheets and you write down your list in preference order. They try to pull the top three and hand the paper back with whether they were able to reserve those items for you. Then the line is let in fcfs to browse what is left over and you pick up your reservations at checkout.

Luckily my tastes are awful and I've apparently been picked early enough on the lottery so I've not been burned. However last year one guy got there at 4am, was first in line, only wanted one item (Daft Punk?) and lost in the lottery. He was pissed and I felt for him.

If he knew that was the system then that's his fault for going at 4am

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Any other Australians in here? Thinking of selling a fair chunk of my collection so I can get over to Outside Lands in San Francisco in August/stop drowning in crushing debt. Is it kosher to chuck things up for sale in here?

Could sell to the US/overseas as well - postage would be bloody murder, but the Australian dollar is terrible so you might get a good deal!

I'd take a look. I'm in Aus

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Hadn't bought anything for a while, went a little crazy

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

What is it like to be a millionaire?

It's pretty good I guess, although these were suprisingly affordable so long as you buy them anywhere except Australia. It was also a part birthday present so I didn't pay for the entire thing :ssh:

That and the Elvis set is CD's, I can't imagine how costly that would be if it was vinyl.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it's cool, but I'm also a huge space nerd. :shrug: I'd have backed the project if the actual product wasn't absurdly expensive.

They need a tier in between which is just the record without all the extra trimmings

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Where is that video of the kickstarter funded (I think it was anyway) record store that was 2 boxes of your parent's records in the middle of a big room?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people think that any and all records are priceless collectables for some reason. Hilariously, it's usually middle aged people.

People just assume old = valuable. I used to work at an auction place and people would be forever bringing in lovely furniture and saying "It's old! It was built in the 20's! You could get a hundred bucks for that." Most of the time it was just a few broken chairs and a very chipped table with deep deep gouges on the surface. Even if it was built then, and by someone who knew what they were doing, it's in such lovely condition the only thing you could do with it is take it to landfill.

But yeah, the record buyers/sellers were the worst. The Beatles are the most well known band on earth and their records were mass produced, your water damaged copy of Sgt Peppers is worth nothing, not 30 bucks. It's always Beatles records too, always.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Rarest for me was some TISM albums, the Collected Recordings was from Collectors Corner in Melbourne for 40 bucks about ten years ago, the records weren't technically from a shop, but from a dude who would buy up random lots from estates and old radio stations and stuff to resell from his garage, got them also for about 40 bucks for both. Discogs has median price for Truckin Songs at $84.62, no sales history for the others. Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

The TISM sealed on all 4 sides was the 7" record in a 12" Sleeve for "Defecate on my Face", They had one (opened) at Rocking Horse Records for $100 and I couldn't justify it.

Ah ok, yeah clearly misremembered, still hilarious though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

That's fuckin' cool. My one claim to 15 minutes of fame was creating the TISM Eurovision petition, which was both the dumbest and best thing I've worked on.

I was pretty excited to see them in the bundle, when he told me the price I really had to play it cool because those prices are an absolute steal for them.

That petition got a surprising amount of traction, it was all over my facebook for a couple of weeks. Damian Cowell even responded to it on his facebook page.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Got some download cards too

Marvin Gaye Vol 1 - From Soulful Moods up to the Nat King Cole tribute

Marvin Gaye Vol 2 - From Moods of Marvin Gaye up to That's the Way Love Is

Marvin Gaye Vol 3 - From What's Going On? up to Midnight Love

Those box sets include the duet albums too.

Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live Twice

Future Islands - Far Field

Pretty sure this one is Tuxedo 2 by Tuxedo

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

pwn posted:

it’s me, i’m the one who is susceptible to peer influence

Too bad the plastic isn’t green and splatty (Sad!.) but the tunes are extremely green and splatty :hellyeah:

Feel like you guys would love Soundway records if you're all in to this

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
My first record player was a sony one from the 80's that used a little cd laser type thing, I got it for 15 bucks. Let me just hook up one of those cheap bluetooth transmitters.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
for tape people, what should you look for in a good tape deck?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the guidance, every Nakamichi deck I've seen have been ridiculously pricey though, and if it works I've seen them for $1,000+

I know the Aussie tax is a thing but that seems ridiculous

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Tenacious D recorded different vocals for the clean versions, like replacing bullshit with bullplop. It's great.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

So what unusual/ginmick records do people have and like, because hey there’s some odd and neat things out there.

I had to get this when I saw The Locust play about a decade ago, just wonderfully silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

TheJetCityFix posted:

I'll be honest, I only know Daft Punk from what has been in mainstream media, but you guys sparked me to listen to RAM....and HOLY HELL this record is good as gently caress. I NEED this record in my collection. I don't even particularly like electronic dance music. I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

Just listen to Chic instead, maybe Hall and Oates if you're feeling frisky