Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
My wife and I have been collecting records for the past year in anticipation of finally having the money on hand to invest in a decent setup. Yesterday we snagged a used Technics SL-d202 at a local record store, along with a preamp and a couple records. I have a quick question though. The strobe light isn't illuminating, and I'm wondering how simple the replacement of the strobe bulb is. There's a 30 day guarantee, and I'm positive we could get our money back if necessary, or get them to repair it, but the shop is an hour's drive away and they're closed on Sundays. I'm pretty handy with electronics, but I don't want to bust up our new toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
Have any of you guys ever used a transcription service to digitize your vinyl? I'm starting up a small audio transcription business in my area soon, and I'm trying to get an idea whether or not it's something most enthusiasts would rather do themselves. I'm sure I'll be able to beat out pretty much every similar service in my area in price, and overhead will be pretty much nonexistent, so I'm not too worried about lean times. This is just going to be supplemental income. However, I would like to serve anyone who's interested, in my state or otherwise, so hopefully that will increase business. Any opinions?

Ratbones fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 10, 2012

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

alg posted:

I would imagine this would only work on Baby Boomers who don't know how to use iTunes. If I have an album that isn't available digitally I just digitize it myself, it's really easy.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that old folks will be the majority of the demographic that would bother. I figure though that there must be some people out there that would like to transfer large portions of their collection to digital formats that don't want to deal with the hassle. I also plan to work on other audio recordings, restoring old family recordings and what not. There is a big market for family history stuff around here (Utah). Music is just funner than that naturally!

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

MokBa posted:

Yeah if it's going to work anywhere in the world as a business then this is about the only place. I worked at Provo's Graywhale before it closed and a lot of older folks were constantly shocked that we even sold vinyl records, so I'm sure a few of those would like their dusty old collections to be catalogued.

What's up Utah county dude?

JohnnyMondo posted:

setup question

I've got a fairly basic setup at the moment; Technics table, a decent solid-state pre-amp straight to the inputs of a Zoom H4N for the actual recording. It works out really well. That's what I'm using for my personal stuff and I'm happy with the results.

For this small business, though, I'm going to put together a more professional setup. I plan to invest in a couple really nice turntables, some different pre-amps (both solid-state and tube) etc., such that people who might otherwise be capable and willing to digitize their collection themselves may be interested in making use of a setup they might not be able to justify buying themselves. I want to provide a really flexible, customizable service.

I do anticipate that restoring old family history stuff will be the most popular request however.