Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just bought my first turntable. I used to consider listening to music to be among my main hobbies, but thanks to the omnipresence of digital streaming, it's been relegated to more of a background role in my life. I bought a handful of my favorite albums and I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, exactly why I'm here. In my 4.5 decades, I've been a musician for most of it, a DJ, a program director, and the owner/curator of a multi-thousand CD collection. Music is my medium, it's what makes my brain work, and is the rabbit hole I fall down. I bought a CD player in 89 with my paper route christmas tip money, and spent every gift giving holiday collecting money to improve my system and buy CDs through HS and College.

Last year, I realized that in the past 10-ish years I've gone from seeking out interesting music and listening to it on purpose, to making and almost exclusively listening to playlists out of the high-bitrate MP3s my CD collection turned into, to treating it like background noise on shuffle through mid-quality paid spotify while I work and drive. Rarely, if ever, listened to an album on purpose, and that sucked.

So my wife got me a u-turn orbit for christmas, I hooked up my old receiver and speakers, and am now improving my relationship with music. Only this time in a giant format with huge artwork that takes me back to my first music purchases (Thriller and Innocent Man, that I then hosed up on a fisher price turntable). As someone who spent a long time paying $15/per for CDs, I can't pretend that having access to all the music ever on a little glass rectangle in my pocket doesn't rule, but it also made my relationship with music a lot more superficial.

Thank you for attending my TED talk, please pull around to the second window to pick up your order.

Feel ya' on nearly every point. I also got a U-turn orbit! It doesn't even come for three more weeks and I already have a stack of records a foot high and a bunch more in the mail.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Man, it hurts having just gotten into this to find albums that had a limited release recently, are already sold out, and now going for obscene prices. I feel like I'm snapping everything up that's available due to FOMO.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm mostly interested in early to mid 2000s IDM and like 75% of the records I am interested go for some obscene amount. Of course, my favorite album of all time is like $500. Oh well, I guess it's fun to dream!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1384924929271943177

In case anyone wants to try for this. I'm still torn because it's a lot to plunk down at once, but it is 18 records.

I wonder if there will be represses of just the main albums. I don't want any of the extra stuff or the fancy box. I just want the main six at a somewhat reasonable price.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Was that Gradius 2 in front of it? I say give into the videogame soundtracks, Ship to Shore do good work on them.

I just got my copy of Celeste from them. A bit on the pricy side but I'm happy to have it!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

it dont matter posted:

https://bleep.com/release/228393-squarepusher-feed-me-weird-things

Squarepusher's Feed Me Weird Things is getting a repress. There was an orange version yesterday but it's gone now.

Wanted this one for a while but gently caress paying what discog sellers were asking for the original pressing.

Snapped it up.

I hope this is a trend - I'd love to see more early Autechre represses as well.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rolo posted:

Are there some decent sites for tracking upcoming represses? Is there typically a heads up of some time?

I've found /r/vinylreleases to be super helpful. I guess it's not great for stuff that's far out but I've caught a few preorders there.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

Honestly I listen to most music using headphones, or a 1st generation Amazon echo. So my standards arent exactly high. I should note that the $500 ballpark limit doesnt also include storage furniture.

If you usually listen through headphones, I recommend getting a turntable with a phono preamp built in, and a [url="https:////https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1/"]Schiit Magni headphone amp[/url]. It's a super simple setup that can sound great. You can get a Uturn Basic turntable and a Magni for under $500.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I listened to Autechre's Tri Repetae on vinyl last night for for the first time after 15+ years of listening to it digitally and it was like hearing it for the first time. Sublime. Now I can only hope their middle-years output gets rereleased.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dorium posted:

could be a number of things. could be left over grime from the plant in the grooves, static, or paper flakes from the sleeve. never hurts to give them a surface brush before dropping the needle. if a record is truly damaged though, despite being new (which happens with flat spots, misalignments during the press or the stamper is worn and over used) there is no real saving it.

I bought the cleaning kit recommended on the previous page. I used the nylon brush first, then a few sprays of cleaner and the velvet brush. I've listened to 4 brand new records and they all click and pop. Even after cleaning, when I shine a flashlight at a near horizontal angle I can see all sorts of dust.

Maybe my cleaning technique sucks? Is this just life? I can't imagine how any audiophile could prefer vinyl if it sounds like this. It's seriously impossible to enjoy concentrating on music with how frequently there are loud pops.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

petit choux posted:

You are correct, this is just life. The clicks and pops will increase logarithmically going forward. In all things.

BTW When this happened to me I replaced the needle. The record player ceased with the popping and clicking but my wife did not. Make of that what you will.

It's a brand new turntable I just got last week.

It doesn't make any sense to me because I've always heard many audiophiles prefer vinyl but I can't believe any audiophile would tolerate this level of popping. It's totally distracting. I don't mind a little bit of low background noise, but sharp pops take me completely out of the music.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

petit choux posted:

You need to provide more info if you want answers. Like what's your turntable, for starters. And is your needle actually clean. And I wasn't aware people were recommending those velvet brushes.

I have a brand new Uturn Orbit Plus with a Ortofon OM5E cartridge. It must be clean because I've only played about 6 records on it, and all of them were new and shrinkwrapped.

I got this kit from a few pages ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I started with just the nylon brush, but that didn't even come close to removing all the dust, so I used the velvet brush with the wet spray. I guess that helped a little but not enough.

dorium posted:

I personally only recommend/use those velvet brushes after I have given a record a full liquid wash, just to brush any stuff that found its way onto the surface of the disc, off. Either a spin clean or a cheaper wet vacuum washing solution will do a batter job than just a wet brush.

The wet velvet brush I feel like just leaves a fair amount of the junk in the grooves instead of fully pulling it out.

What is a full liquid wash and how do you do it?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for all the replies yesterday about surface noise and popping. I did some research and it turns out the two records that were the culprits yesterday both had complaints on discogs about the quality of the pressing (mainly Aphex Twin's Collapse EP). I put on Trentemoller's The Last Resort, which I've read is a good pressing, and it blew me away. So I guess there are no problems with my stylus or setup or cleaning technique or anything. I was just listening to lovely records.

It's kind of a bummer that it's a crapshoot, but knowing I can't "fix" it I think can help me relax a little bit about it.

Also I can't believe I'm about to set an alarm for 1 AM to preorder Mars Volta records. I wonder if they'll have enough stock or if it will be a PS5 sort of situation.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

US store is up.

$65 a pop for some, $48 for others. Seems a little random and crazy pricy, but getting all 6 main releases came out to $384 after taxes. Nearly the same price as the box set but I wasn't interested in any of the additional stuff in there anyway.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I feel partly annoyed at the high price, but at the same time I feel like $60 is actually pretty reasonable for a record like Deloused, which is one of my favorites of all time. I imagine I will listen to it hundreds of times over my lifetime and it's the cost of a medium-price dinner for two. Could it be cheaper, and is the label gouging fans? Maybe. But I think it's a fine price to own some art that I really cherish.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Mars Volta sucks, they have maybe one good song per album, and those dudes are just huffing their own farts--~experimental~--nah it's just racket bro

At the Drive-in is what's up

I would kill for Relationship of Command to be repressed. I love TMV and ATDI equally. Depends on what mood I'm in.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Recommended anti-static inner sleeves?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Mobile Fidelity.

Any idea what's up with the dozens of reviews claiming they are too small to fit a 12"?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just received the 2021 repress of The Future Sound of London's Dead Cities and it sounds absolutely fantastic. After now having listened to quite a few records, it's abundantly clear some are just worse quality than others. I think I also have my nylon brush cleaning game on point finally.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Any recommendations for a wall mounted single vinyl display stand I can put up above my turntable? I am a renter so it needs to be able to stay up with command strips.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I've been using this Vinyl Buddy kit (https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Cleaner-Ultimate-Cleaning/dp/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=vinyl+buddy&qid=1624636668&sr=8-3) for a bit and love it, but I just ran out of cleaning solution. I'm using is just to get small bits of dust off mostly clean records. Can I make more solution at home - maybe a distilled water and isopropyl alcohol mix?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ballz posted:

You can also buy more solution directly from their website.

It's been sold out for a few weeks.

BigFactory posted:

Distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and a drop or two of some kind of surfactant works. A lot of the sprays you can buy are basically just that. For a surfactant you can use liquid soap, I’d just use something without added scents and stuff like that.

There are a bunch of recipes online.

Sweet, that's what I thought!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

zaepg posted:

Picked up. Sounds really well for a vinyl release. The last four tracks build for an amazing ending.

Endless Fantasy is also a fantastic pressing. I'm debating ordering the Summer Singles right now, but I definitely trust Polyvinyl's quality.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's the highest number of times any of you has returned a record? I'm about to do return #3 of Autechre's Plus - the discogs reviews say it's fantastic but I've had major issues on the same side three times in a row. Wonder if I should just give up on it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mofi inners are sold out or backordered everywhere. I just used my last few and need a restock but can't find 'em.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

it dont matter posted:

If anyone needs some mind-melting drill n bass in their life, Venetian Snares' Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett is getting a repress.

Snapped this up so fast. Easily the best VS album, one of the all-time best drill n bass albums.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I received the Cloud Hill pressing of De-Loused in the Comatorium today. I am beyond excited to listen. It's one of my favorite albums.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

I got my copy of deloused today and it sounds awesome. I dunno if it’s $60 awesome yet but I love this album. But yeah, they aren’t going to be done sending them chronologically until January.

Mine sounds fantastic as well, but side D has some major skips so I requested a replacement. Bummer.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I picked Break Stuff at karaoke one time. Sometimes I wake up at 3 AM and that memory permeates my thoughts.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hekk posted:

Do you keep the paper inner sleeves that most LPs come with? I’ve got a stack that I’ve replaced rice paper and plastic inner sleeves. Wondering if I should keep the old ones for any reason.

I toss 'em. You can buy a ton for cheap if you ever need them for some reason.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finally had a chance to listen to Frances the Mute and good god it sounds fantastic. What a clean and beautiful pressing.

It’s a shame it’s on three LPs though. Having to swap in the middle of Cassandra Gemini is a bit of a momentum breaker! I almost wish they had edited some of the ambient noodling out and cut it down to two LPs.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

IG-88 posted:

i put on frances the mute and the end of side A keeps looping. im so stoned i think it's been going on for 20 minutes.

Sides A-D all have locked grooves at the end of the side. Enjoy :)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Amputechture arrived and it sounds fantastic. Clouds Hills is doing a great job.

It’s such a tough choice between this and Deloused for my favorite TMV album.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dorium posted:

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/dj-shadow-endtroducing-vinyl-25th-anniversary-edition/

Endtroducing remaster from the original DAT tape done as a Half Speed Master at Abbey Road studio. It's an easy top 3 of all time for me record so I'll be interested in hearing the differences between this and an original pressing.

drat, I just ordered the original.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I've had really good luck with Discogs until this week, when the last three records I got (from three different sellers) were all completely unlistenable due to extreme surface noise. All three were rated VG+ and look great until you check under bright light and see tons of almost unnoticeable scratches. I know the pressings are good because the reviews all mention how great they sound. I guess a lot of sellers just only visually inspect their records and don't actually listen. Bummer - repackaging and shipping stuff back is such a time sink.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

well well well it looks like Orbital reissues are FINALLY coming

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/orbital-tell-sde-of-archival-reissue-plans/

Hell yeah. Almost brought Brown and Green album for a hundred bucks a pop recently but didn’t go through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Autechre’s Chiastic Slide and LP5 are being rereleased. Awesome timing since I was about to pay 100 bucks for LP5 this week on Discogs.