Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m probably not cool enough to post in this thread but my gf got me a modern, pretty basic record player for Christmas and I’ve had a good time just collecting my favorite albums and spending evenings listening to them. I also have a really fantastic local record store two blocks from my apartment and I don’t know I just wanted to shout out vinyl for bringing me some joy and pleasure in this really hard year! :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Well right now I’m just mainly filling out the discographies of artists I like (mainly done w/Springsteen, currently working on Prince), but also having fun discovering some new (to me) music and buying that up too. One of my favorite albums I own is a re-release of Judee Sill’s first album. She’s someone I hadn’t heard of two months ago and when I first heard her it spoke to me a bunch.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, Lady-O is such a great song, though I know it because of the Turtles - who loving rock.

Ooo I’ll have to listen to that version! I love the Turtles! Thanks for the tip

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is anyone a part of a vinyl subscription service you like or recommend. All my targeted ads are now are vinyl companies wanting me to sign up to receive exclusive records every month and while some are tempting I thought I’d access the hive mind of this thread before aligning myself with any one company in particular

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thanks for the opinions, folx! Sounds like I’ll stay subscription free for the time being and just continue to use my local record store/goodwill/Discogs - they’ve been good to me so far!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

CPL593H posted:

Polyvinyl is doing a sale right now on stuff. They're also offering deeper discounts on records with slightly damaged covers if you can live with that and test pressings if you want to spend entirely too much money on a record.

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/garagesale
:frogsiren:

Thanks for posting this!! Picked up some of my favorite Jeff Rosenstock albums on vinyl, cheap! Woohoo!!! And a “mystery lp” which I’m sure will be of great quality!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I have that vinyl and I gotta admit the first time I listened to it I didn’t think about it at all but then I read your post and listened to it again and now I’m mad lol

Surf Wax America is OBVIOUSLY the beginning of side B!!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

caligulamprey posted:

I just bought 21 Garth Brooks records because I don't know poo poo about Garth Brooks. :buddy:

Great pop country, sincerely. I’m envious!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

sporklift posted:

The Garth Brooks box set goes on sale for sub $20 on Amazon. I bought the three box box set last time lol. (Yeah there are three variants and it cost 40 ish bux) I gave one to a goon as a prize for listening to my radio show (they gave it to thier momma), kept one and one will be a hilarious white elephant gift if I ever go to a social gathering again.

Edit. Wow if you are a prime member it is $18 haha holy poo poo.

Uhhh yeah you’re right it’s loving $18 right now for like four albums that I actually kinda dig!!! Thank you for pointing this out that was an instant buy for me hahaha

Edit: lol posted this before I read the following pages where this entire thread goes all in on Garth. Can’t wait for all our reports when they start arriving

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Guys my Garth Brooks Boxsets arrived and I somehow didn’t realize I was buying THREE of them at once hahahaha what the gently caress am I supposed to do with these? They’re HUGE.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Idk if it actually matters but is there a consensus on which set sounds best?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh god I opened one up and it’s just too much. There’s a three disc LIVE ALBUM in here?!? And CDs!!! And I have three of all of these things now!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

caligulamprey posted:

Don't forget the live album in each set has a different triple gatefold design! You gotta open every set up to compare and contrast. :sickos:

…..no.

Ok relistened to No Fences and that IS a pretty solid album if you like 90s pop country. Not bad at all. I remembered the lyrics to the chorus of “Unanswered Prayers” even though I hadn’t heard that song in probably 20+ years.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

kumba posted:

My Garth stuff arrived a week early.

My wife, who found the package, was...... perplexed, to say the least

One of us one of us

Picked up Thin Lizzy “Bad Reputation” and a Mission of Burma RE at a local shop I had never been to today (after getting a haircut for the first time in fifteen months)!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
A genuinely cool thing about Garth Brooks is he’s weird as poo poo

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Visited the fam in NC for the first time in almost 2 years (and with the new variants picking up I probably won’t get to visit again for some time, get loving vaccinated if you haven’t!!!)

But this was my first time visiting since getting into vinyl and so I got to go to local record stores and thrifts and I found some cool odd stuff I’ve never found in NYC.

The Dream Academy debut album, Yachts’s third album “Without Radar,” basically just a bunch of little know/forgotten 80s alt rock.
I discovered this band, The Swimming Pool Qs that just had cool album covers so I picked up both their albums, and I gotta say, they might be one of my new favorite bands!!! Their albums go for dollars on discogs and I can’t recommend them enough. Just a fantastic, essentially totally unknown band.

Also Found Prince’s “Around the World in a Day” for a decent price, and the single of “Do They Know It’s Christmas Time?”

Came back home with like 10 new records. Feels great!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

pwn posted:

Last week, I finally watched the S11 SNL episode where they were a musical guest (alongside The Cure, host Teri Garr, 1985.12.21.)

That season had an... eclectic selection of MGs, from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Al Green, Philip Glass to Laurie Anderson, The Nelsons to Queen Ida and the fukken Bon Temps Zydeco Band. For years I’ve looked at that season’s guest lineup and wondered what those episodes were like. Shrouded in mystery they were, all but officially buried in the show canon, so bad it nearly got the show canceled, the year was “jokingly” (but also not really jokingly) written off as “a horrible, horrible dream” in the S12 premiere, I’ve long been captivated by this crazy year of hosts like Pee Wee Herman and Francis Ford Coppola, of cast members like Anthony Michael Hall and Randy Quaid.

Anyway I finally got to download that season and it really sucks most of the time. It’s a slog getting through it sometimes. I can understand why it’s buried. But the musical guests are nice. But back to the point: I’d always wondered, “who the gently caress are The Dream Academy?” Then they start playing their one song. And I’m like oh poo poo they sing THIS song. So now I know. That HEY NA NA NA NA song is The Dream Academy. Thanks, season 11 of SNL :tipshat:

P.S. Francis Ford Coppola episode is pro-watch, tho. For that matter every SNL fan should watch at least the Pee-Wee Herman and John Lithgow eps. I’m about halfway through so I can’t comment on the back half of shows but there are bright spots in the darkness.

Yup anyone who thinks they don’t know that song DEFINITELY knows that song. That was my reaction when it kicked in, and also my gf and friend’s reaction when I played it for them later hahaha.

Edit: I also have a VHS tape (yes I’m one of those guys that still collects VHS) that’s a best of the SNL season you’re talking about! It’s got some Pee Wee sketches. I think one of the other hosts is Ronald Reagan’s SON?!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

pwn posted:

Re-creating the famous Risky Business dance scene, no less. An odd year, it was

I clipped the "Life in a Northern Town" performance. You can watch it on my Google Drive. Dude going ham on the timpani steals the show

Thanks for sharing; this rules

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

dorium posted:

found an exceptional promo copy of the Batman soundtrack over the weekend.

Gorgeous!!! And responding to another poster - if the soundtrack is mostly by an already established artist, I think you file it under them. So Batman would be included in your “Prince” section.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah that sounds like Prince

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Thom P. Tiers posted:

"The top-selling vinyl albums at the midyear point are Taylor Swift’s “Evermore,” Harry Styles’ “Fine Line,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid M.A.A.D. City” and Billie Eilish’s “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”"

Mmmmmmm yes these are the people that are buying vinyl nowadays.

Don’t be a grump! Those are pretty good albums! I haven’t gotten it yet but definitely intend to pick up that Harry Styles album on vinyl eventually, one of the best albums of 2019!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
You walked into some awesome old guy’s house and he made a couple bucks off you. Sounds like a great day for all involved

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That great post makes me want to go spend $72 at Jigsaw records now hahaha

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The first side of that Hiroshima “Another Place” album is so nice. It was a blind buy for me some months back just cuz I liked the album cover and I really dug the instrumentals. The more congenital pop songs on side B, eh, I can take or leave. But it was a good $3 pickup.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What are some good Halloween/spooky records that I should be looking to pick up this season? I’m down for everything - spooky music, novelty kids records, soundtracks, as long as it’s creepy and cooky!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

BigFactory posted:

The original and still the best

Hahaha this is one of the Halloween albums I already have! Good to know I have the essentials locked in.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I know this is a long shot but if anyone happens to have the Over the Garden Wall OST on vinyl and is willing to part with it, I’d love to buy it from you - I’m looking to get it as a gift for my partner in time for Christmas.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Potentially weird question:

My tiny, NYC apartment is getting bug bombed next week. Will the chemicals used in that bomb mess with my vinyl collection in any way? Should I move the records to another room?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Bandit posted:

Did they tell you to take any precautions with any of your belongings? I would probably bag up my books, records, and clothes to avoid them absorbing smells.

I mean we have to take everything out of the cupboards in the kitchen and since it’s a small NYC apartment my record collection is basically also in the kitchen hahah

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Cool. Sounds like it should be fine then. Thanks everyone. I figured they’d be okay but also figured being overly cautious and asking wouldn’t hurt!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Finally got to visit previously-mentioned-in-thread awesome store My Vinyl Underground/Jigsaw Records in Portland, OR this afternoon.

Great shop, small but full (it’s literally in the basement of a comic book store), awesome, AWESOME prices on records you’re not seeing everyday. If you love indie pop/punk/Britpop/shoegaze etc, this shop should be a MUST-VISIT for you.

You can tell the dude who runs the shop just loves what he does, and his passion comes through in every aspect of the store. Literally each record has a little blurb from him explaining the vibe of the music and why you should get it!

He ended up not having the exact record I was looking for but he recommended like five other bands who are similar to/on the same label as the band I was interested in and he was playing music and running around into his store to see if he had vinyl copies.

He was so awesome and passionate I ended up spending and buying more records than I even originally intended to! LOL and RIP to my money!!!

A true gem of a store, and he sells everything online as well. Can’t recommended it enough. Check them out if you haven’t already!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

CPL593H posted:

A record store under a comic book store sounds like a place I willed into existence.

The comic book store was great too!! Books with Pictures is the name of it! If you’re in Portland ever check out both!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Y’all stay grumpy for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Found the first record of The White Album in my local Free Library yesterday and obviously while it’s not the complete LP, I took it home because it’s a free Beatles album lol. It sounded great!