Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
I've been selling records on ebay with my dad for coming up a year now, and it's been a pretty fun and rewarding experience. My dad's collection literally takes up our house (the whole attic, a room, various piles around the place) and he has some stupidly rare stuff but he's forgotten most of what he's got so it's been interesting what he's dug up. I am hoping to get this set up as a proper business eventually, as I'd like to get my dad out of his current job which has caused him some serious bouts of depression over the last ten or so years so he can do something he actually loves. I've also been getting into collecting a lot more recently as well, mostly punk, especially 80's anarcho.

Anyway, to the point! Do many of you use ebay to buy/sell? I would like to hear some tips, or what you think is important when buying on there because I basically went into it blind and hoped it would go okay. I have learned quite a few things but you can never know enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I live in Alabama so I try to only use ebay as a buyer when temps are cool enough that my records won't melt in transit. I'd be paranoid about it as a seller, too, because the seller will probably get the blame for warped records. You might know more about packing them to avoid heat than I do if that's possible.

Also, do you guys have Who - My Generation (LP not single), Beatles - With the Beatles, Pink Floyd - Division Bell for sale? Those would finish off my studio discographies for those bands:)

I've never really thought about the temperatures I'm sending the records in until you said, I guess it's more of a problem in places other than here in England (it's currently a balmy 14 degrees). We have sent some rather expensive ones to Greece, where it could have been a problem but no problems reported! Have you had trouble before with warping?

I'm pretty sure we have all of those, we sold a copy of My Generation a little while back as well. I'll keep an eye out for those three.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

Owsla posted:

Sales advice

Thanks for this. I've also been using Collector's Frenzy, which has a database of the winning bids/information from ebay auctions going back a few years which I've found very useful.

Anyway, I thought I'd upload some pictures of my latest and favourite buys:

OFF! - Four EPs
I picked this up at Rebellion Fest in Blackpool after they played (they were loving ace). Unfortunately, when I actually opened it and took it out of the packaging there were duplicate EPs. I've been trying to get a hold of someone to sort out a replacement for about a month now, frustrating.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood
Found this at a market stall in my city centre for £5 I think. I really love the dreamy psychedelic qualities of the Nancy/Lee songs and they sound all the better on vinyl.

Fugazi - Fugazi EP
Picked this up at the same stall for £8. It's one of my favourite punk EPs of all time (along with the Nervous Breakdown EP, Discharge's first, Multi Death Corporations etc.) and what an iconic cover. Pretty sure it's an original, no idea how many made it over the pond.

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones (green vinyl)
This is Frank's latest album. It came with a CD too, rather than just a download slip which was nice. I've been a big fan of his for a few years, caught him live 5 times now (recommended, his shows are some of the best I've ever seen).

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

This guy passed away leaving behind thousands of LPs that were sold to a person I know that runs an auction house. Yesterday I went and flipped through crates and crates with horrible crap and managed to picked up about twenty good ones for 5$ a piece. This was one of them. The cover is not in the greatest shape but the vinyl looks and plays just fine.

On a related note I walked into one of my local records shops to find a copy of Here Are The Sonics lying on a chair, unfortunately it wasn't for sale and just drying out after there had been in a minor flood in the guy's collection out back. I was bummed out, I wonder how many copies there are over here in the UK...

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
If it's in a picture sleeve, take the record out so it doesn't split the spine. Stick a bit of cardboard in the envelope to stiffen it (if you've got proper record mailers this is less important). Make sure the address is clear - I always use block capitals. If it's expensive it might be worth getting it sent insured post. I've heard people talking about having to pay import taxes, but not in Germany as far as I know. Be prepared to fill out a LOT of forms in future if you're sending to Russia or the US (this is if you're not in either of those).

Posting to Germany's been fine from my experience, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Things like these mean I hardly ever really enjoy larger shows. Best thing about punk shows is that everyone is stood up and drunk and covered in lager and bootmarks by the end of the night.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Seeing as my dad's collection takes up a whole bedroom and the entire loftspace of the house, and I personally have around 600 records, a few thousand doesn't phase me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
I managed to pick up a copy of Introducing Foxy Shazam from Plastic Wax in Bristol a few weeks ago. I got it for a really good price, it's in great condition and on some loving cool coloured vinyl too.

I decided to give it to my girlfriend because she's a massive fan, here's some photos she's taken:

Here's how vocalist Eric Nally proposed to his wife.