Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

great intro farts, covered thee basics nicely.

jumping right in:

I religiously go to the local record shows, but this time I was sorta broke and had to agonize over every buy. Passed up a bunch of fun stuff (inc. a not-bad copy of The Mothers' Absolutely Free for $10), but I couldn't walk away from that Fall album & spent half my roll.

Still had lotsa fun digging the bins under the tables with the change I had left.

anyway, another record fair, another John Cale record.
one day I'll see Vintage Violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Jehova posts and the world calls up google.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Highlights of thrift digging over the last week, everything <= $1.
come away with esg? a Fahey record? for a doller each?
how do you pull this stuff?

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

flippin thru lps at value village this morning & up comes:

Fela Ransome Kuti w/Ginger Baker & Africa '70 - Live!

English press w/insert ~undamaged~ $2

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

right behind it was an immaculate copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights

I checked everything after I found it - I got a Hugh Masekela album, and the Super Fly soundtrack was there, but it was too beat to buy.

Everything else was the usual.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I wish they would repress Whipped Cream & Other Delights and then replace every other vinyl reissue with Whipped Cream & Other Delights.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

iamthejeff posted:

Found Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, Lodger, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance, David Live and Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, in really good shape
nice! for $3.50 you got half a really good Bowie collection.

& cool link Wilbur (here's the googletranslate)

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

everybody's ranting about track listings
eh, it's a topic w/traction because you can't skip a vinyl album easily. So, concept albums fit b/c even weak tracks work with the flow of an album.

Maybe it comes down to what fits your collection:
Only albums solid start to finish? Stuff where the bad songs are mundane enough to gloss over? Or anything with even 1 song you like and treat it like a 45?

Lately I've been tossing anything that doesn't have at least 1 solid side. There's tons of good music out there & I can't be arsed to play DJ.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

I've had luck with kijiji / craigslist for used record players - local demoing, low pricing, and you can take it home with you. If you're going home to see the parents or relatives, check the kijiji/craigslist for those places before you go, too.

Another good place to check is pawn shops, same deal as above, little more $$$.

If you wanna get good quality for under a hundred, you gotta do your research and be prepared to wait.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Technics are going to be the most common, most rugged used tables.
This link is a really handy spreadsheet showing technical data on almost every Technics TT produced, including initial selling price, which should help you work out what kind of machine someone's offering.

if it ain't a technics, type the name of the deck and ' site:audiokarma.org ' into google and get learned. happy hunting.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

digging at valuevillage today, I found pristine copies of:

lene lovich - stateless
gang of four - another day/another dollar
comsat angels - 7 day weekend oh no its terrible
talk talk - life is what you make it (extended dance version!)

the cashier said yesterday was a big day for vinyl sales - two guys bought twenty records each. so by one day I likely missed out on a postpunk motherlode.

a couple weeks ago the same vv had horror movie soundtracks, John Prine and There's a Riot Going On, which was nice.
& last weekend in toronto I picked up Relics, this 2xLP Incredible String Band best-of for $20, along with a couple of cheapies.

Now all I need is a receiver that works :/

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

yerp, I work in Mississauga & usually have an hour to kill before work starts
thanx for leaving 'em if you did - I got burned buying that gang of four record at a show b/c I didn't check to see if it was warped, so it's nice to have the proper album now

what'd you walk out of there with?

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

holyshit.
what else'd you get?

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

Just got something marvelous in the mail today!

niiice - u must be stoked.

'difficult' music owns anyway and when you find something cool it's usually in great condition.
I found a couple unusual things at the local place last weekend:

wire - a bell is a cup until it is struck (kidney bingos!)
tuxedomoon - half mute OG
...and a cheap ventures double.

the wire looks like it was played once - even had an 'inspected by' thing still in it. did a lil' eye bugout when I saw it.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

i am a bee posted:

I got a couple of good car-boot sale finds for a total of 11.40. Still by Joy Division and the Blue Monday 12". Still looked in pretty good condition...

I've heard Englanders were pretty resistant to tech change back when. And there's been several waves of excellent music from there (british invasion, british folk, new wave, etc)
So is England a digger's* paradise? Small Faces / Nick Drake / Joy Division albums for all? or is it the same as over here - everybody hoarding they momma's Pink Floyd albums for the retirement fund?

* boring, white

also, throw the Herb Alpert, etc albums into the trash & never look back

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

cool - 'grats Farts!
take some dang pictures this time willya? I can't be the only one who wants to see your lil 1-day fiefdom.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

Aw drat, I can't think of a better thing to do outside on a sunny day than dig thru records. Sounds a great haul too - you 45 guys are craaazy. Great, just great.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Umbriago posted:

My dad has just given me his and my mum's old record collection -- about 300 records in total. This is the highlight:

Looks like they're in good shape too. It's like being born into an awesome LP starter pack.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Hi I gave up on this thread 'cause of all the newvinyl posts, but look at all this awesome poo poo:

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

found two Big Black 7"s for $3 each!

Farts Domino posted:

Throwing another Record Fair in New Orleans!

Space human being posted:

One of the local surf music fans passed away a few weeks ago. It's a pretty tightly-knit community around here, so all the surf dudes put together a memorial for him and they decided to sell off his music collection to support his family.

Sucks, but a great story. All the guy's treasures will get to others that appreciate them, cash for the fam, etc.

Farts Domino posted:

Here's my surf/instro haul from the Record Raid this weekend:

I hope you host these forever.
More stuff I'd flip past 'cause I don't know jack.

smallTalkExpress posted:

Started my collection last weekend. Got some pretty good deals!

awesome, du!

Tiny Faye posted:

Been meaning to post my annual Somerville Rock n' Roll Yard Sale acquisitions from this past weekend. Pretty pleased with this year's haul:

This is my kinda poo poo. I'm... 100% jealous ahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

on the way home I found a cache of dj castoffs at value village. among the poo poo I don't remember or recognize there was:

Notorious B.I.G: Warning
Wu-Tang Clan: C.R.E.A.M. / Da Mystery of Chessboxin'
Ghostface: Tush / Holla
Jay-Z: Big Pimpin / Anything + Change Clothes / What More Can I Say
Clipse: When the Last Time / I'm Not You
Outkast: The Way You Move / Hey Ya

which owns, 'cuz now my copy of Rappers Delight has a lil' company.