Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I somehow inherited about two hundred records from various relatives over the past year. I'd like to get a half-decent record player and some speakers to listen through them. Is there some sort of basic recommended set up that's sub 500$? A nice record storage cabinet would be appreciated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Do you want new or used and did you grow up with stereos or would the idea of hooking up speakers that are more complicated than plugging a 3.5mm jack into a computer or iPod be new to you?

Honestly I listen to most music using headphones, or a 1st generation Amazon echo. So my standards arent exactly high. I should note that the $500 ballpark limit doesnt also include storage furniture.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

But would you know how to (and want to) hook up a stereo system, or could you care less about anything like that? Some people under a certain age or who just never grew up with music look at putting together a stereo the way I look at rebuilding a carburetor.

I guess basically do you want your system to be absolutely as simple as possible, or to you want it to be big and more of a project?

And is this going in a bedroom/office or large living room ?

It's going in a living room/dining room/kitchen open area. It is a bit large. I'd prefer nothing super involved and complicated. I was expecting something like 2/3 speakers that plug directly into a turntable or some sort of receiver in between.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

By 3 speakers do you mean a sub?

Yeah. But, I have no real idea. I'm just looking for something to play records and do it respectively so I can go through this collection and relisten to stuff that's worthwhile.