Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

trdn89 posted:

I can't argue with any of this, but SHTV does have its moments of utility. Some folks over there actually do know good music; threads over there directly led to Arnold's Hillside, Velvet Crush's Teenage Symphonies To God, Mary Margaret O'Hara's Miss America, and a bunch of other great albums living on my shelves now and forever. It's also a very useful resource if you want to sperg out and find the best possible pressing of a record; I would never have known to seek out the Horzu pressing of Magical Mystery Tour or Bob Ludwig's cut of The Stranger (haters can eat a dick, I love this album).

Besides, all the Amy Grant frothing in the world could never make SHTV more risible than that Hot Stampers site.

Oh wow, thanks for this, Velvet Crush owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stay depressed posted:

that's true there was the sufjan stevens CD with superman on the cover that they made him remove. very rare. can't get that poo poo on insound.

Also the TAD CD with the picture of the couple Tad Doyle found at a swap meet that later got them threatened with legal action.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Butt Trumpet is my main go-to reference for dumb '90s bands nobody remembers.

I went to a friend's birthday party where the main attraction was trying to pull of Zaireeka and it was 40 solid minutes of "THREE... TWO... ONE... FUUUUUCK!" before we decided we were being taken for a ride and just let it play as is. We also somehow had two copies of Gloss Drop by Battles and played them simultaneously. That was actually really loving awesome. Full disclosure: :catdrugs:

I prefer Cat Butt, personally.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Melvins had two bassists for a while, and they rule (and the records with 2 bassists are really good)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Which of their records have two bassists?

n/m, for some reason I thought the album with Big Business had two bassists and two drummers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

Their new album Basses Loaded has 2 or 3 for some reason.

Because after they fired Kevin Rutmanis, Buzz and Dale decided to just use guests. Hence using Trevor Dunn on Freak Puke, JD Pinkus on Hold it In, and that dude from Redd Kross on 3 Men and A Baby. I think Basses Loaded is different bassists on different tracks rather than multiple bassists on individual tracks, though.

Apparently there was a tenative plan to work with Dave and Krist (hence Krist being on Basses Loaded) on an album of Nirvana covers, but only Krist showed up to the rehearsals and Dave decided to do that song with Paul McCartney instead....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

For some reason I was thinking it was on individual tracks. Either way I'm hype for it.

Me too! I'm also seeing them in April w/Melt Banana and Napalm Death, it's gonna rule

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My guess regarding the delay on Licensed to Ill is that as the they've gotten older, they've seemed kind of ashamed of some of the stuff they've said on that album. My understanding is that other than "No Sleep Til' Brooklyn", they rarely played cuts off of that record. There was also a lawsuit between them and Rick Rubin (Rubin hosed them out of some money, quelle surprise), that might have had something to do with it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I'd probably buy the soundtrack to Severed, but that's because Yamantaka // Sonic Titan is fuckin' dope.

You just inadvertently helped me by talking about this, because I was trying to remember the name of Yamantaka //Sonic Titan and couldn't for the life of me, even tried the help me find this song thread. So thanks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

The best Devo song Devo never wrote

Devo themselves were quoted as agreeing with this!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
http://www.post-punk.com/new-smiths-single-has-trump-will-kill-america-engraving/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

esperantinc posted:

I like to think it's an homage to Tres Hombres

I think a while back someone recreated this and tried to eat it all

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, what?

Bowie was supposed to produce a record for 'em and they did some work before he stepped back to work on stuff with Iggy in Berlin

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Opened my presents from my girlfriend

https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1077717369844391940?s=19

Two of my all time favorite albums, I don't even give a poo poo that London calling is a super basic pick

David Comes To Life became a VERY personal record for me and I hope you enjoy it like I do.

Also anyone who dislikes London Calling...I dunno, man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pwn posted:

I’ve always had records packed well from Amazon.

But I can’t order an Amazon item without seeing the exploited warehouse picker literally running to grab it and still being admonished for not meeting their numbers goal, dying from heat stroke in unconditioned warehouses, young strong people being physically broken, in a job which could easily be Not A Horror Show but for Jeff Bezos’s greed and cruelty. So pay $15 to a private Discogs seller for your American Football record imo.

Edit:
Negativland is like if an issue of Adbusters was made into a record. I love it.

Dispepsi is incredible

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sporklift posted:

The deluxe edition of Black Velvet is pretty cheap right now. I could do without the velvet box but the rest of the package is pretty rad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVXL5CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Somewhere Alannah Myles quivers w/rage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I'll take this back to the blu-ray thread because apparently I can will things into existence by complaining there.

Wanna get on complaining about the lack of Pedicab Driver, then?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Every record in my collection is secretly Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

Mr.Shackleford, I presume

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nikaer Drekin posted:

New Vault Package announced:

Track list for the main Greatest Hits album is kept secret for now, but this is what's on the bonus LP:

1. Look Me Over Closely
2. Lafayette Blues
3. Red Bowling Ball Ruth
4. You’re Pretty Good Looking (Trendy American Remix)
5. Rated X (Live at Hotel Yorba)
6. Who’s to Say…
7. Good To Me
8. Black Jack Davey
9. St. Ides of March
10. Who’s A Big Baby?
11.Though I Hear You Calling, I Will Not Answer
12. Shelter Of Your Arms
13. Walking With A Ghost

Bit surprised Jolene isn't here

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dark Project posted:

Just wondering what people's methods are for choosing vinyl from artists they have never heard from before. Say you go to a swap meet or garage sale and thumb through a stack of LP's, and you find a bunch from artists that you've never heard of. What drives your decision to purchase or not. Is it the album art, the song list? Do you google or look for them on spotify or youtube to see if you can hear a track or two? Or do you prefer to go in blind and see if you can fluke a gem and find something really interesting and cool for yourself without checking every single thing about the artist out?

Bandcamp is very helpful, you can play stuff on the band's page and buy direct from the artist

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What vinyl websites would you recommend that I could email a gift certificate to a friend?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

It's definitely the one I replay the most 'cause my two favorite attributes of music are texture and density. It's also one of those albums that sounds completely different on vinyl.

Huge influence, especially on the earlier stuff. We Tigers is basically all of Eskimo condensed to a single track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmoxMxbocU

Should I assume you know about and have bought the Residents book?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

This made me look up how many Rob Crow bands there are. Out of the 21 bands Rob Crow fronts (at least), it really is a shame that he never recorded a Devfits album.

That's Devo covers in the style of The Misfits and Misfits covers in the style of Devo. :sickos:
....that sounds awesome, and I say that as someone who finds the Misfits kinda hit or miss

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really hope that's where Scott Thompson got the name Buddy Cole

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VolumeOverTalent posted:

At least I can understand the reasoning behind Homme being there - what link do they have to Chappelle?

Dave showed up at an msg show they did a while ago, I assume he's into their stuff and used his fame to connect with them

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Buzz from the Melvins is friends with Gavin Macinnes.

Who founded the Proud Boys. God dammit, Buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I like to think someone got really high one night, ordered a pizza, accidentally put one of their records in the lid of the box and wrote down “PIZZA RECORDS!?!?” and now here we are

Is this inspired by the Mitch Hedberg Pringle joke