Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Huge line in Chicago at Laurie's Planet of Sound. I got there two hours before the store opened and was around 30th in line. Some people said they had gotten there at 1:30AM. By the time the store did open it was well around the block.

Got everything I wanted except the Pogues album, which they were out of. The store handed out tote bags to everyone that bought stuff and some of them had stickers and other swag. Mine had the "Loser Edition" (colored vinyl, first edition) of the Notwist's "Close to the Glass" which is really loving cool.

My pickups:

Dinosaur Jr. - Visitors box set
Dinosaur Jr. / the Cure - Just Like Heaven
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
V/A - Satellite of Love
Pissed Jeans - The Best of Sub Pop - Live at the BBC
Xiu Xiu - Unclouded Sky
John Spencer Blues Explosion - She's On It / Jack the Ripper

All in all really happy with what I got. The only thing that they didn't get in store that I wanted was the REM album.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Just picked up a 2013 RSD release of the most recent wire album.

Also got some Mission of Burma and Swell Maps. Kinda getting annoyed that my Screaming Females Live at the Hideout hasn't gotten here yet even though I pre ordered the loving thing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Just picked up a second pressing of Torche's "In Return" in pink marbled vinyl. The gatefold is gorgeous.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This came in today. Xiu Xiu - There Is No Right, There Is No Wrong 'Best Of' 2002 - 2012

Handmade packaging on clear and black vinyl.

I can't stand 'Best of' collections most of the time, because it's such a subjective thing. It helps that this on was put together by Jamie Stewart himself and every song remastered, so it's worth it for me.

Not a huge fan of the tracklist, personally. But that's always the case with collections like this; you'll always have your personal favorite.

It's an okay compilation.

In conclusion: eh.

The bonus disc of 'rarities' are a bit of a let down as well, as most can be found on their still in-print EPs such as Fag Patrol and Chapel of Chimes.

Long post about my personal musical preferences, but at least it's not a post about soundtracks.

Super jealous. That was one RSD pickup I wasn't able to find anywhere. If you get a chance do find "Unclouded Sky" because it's really, really good. Just Jamie and an acoustic guitar and ambient forest sounds.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

beergod posted:

Did the new swans ship for anyone yet? I preordered it on Amazon months ago and nothing, not even an estimated shipping date, so I cancelled it.

Why didn't you order from Young God?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Snowy posted:

Oh poo poo it just got real up in this record store!

And my Loop test press seems to be lost in the mail from England gently caress gently caress gently caress.

That suuuuuuuuucks. Tied up in customs?

Has anyone else gotten their copy of Screaming Females "Live at the Hideout?" I still haven't gotten mine and I preordered the thing.

Also a bunch of stuff by the Bats is getting reissued(!!!) which is awesome. http://www.capturedtracks.com/bats-re-issues-for-pre-order/

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 16, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

gently caress the USPS. My Swans LP was supposedly delivered to my apartment but my girlfriend was home all day and we got zero mail. Either they dropped it off at the wrong address or stole it. Probably the same thing happened to my "Live at the Hideout" Screaming Females LP.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

3dou posted:

Now that records are popular again, we're gonna see more and more HALF-PINK HALF-LIME GREEN 180 GRAM EXCLUSIVE VIP VINYL WITH POSTER, T-SHIRT, AND ACTUAL FECES FROM THE LEAD SINGER'S DOG.
And they're going to press it 20 times over, but with different colors.

gently caress Southern Lord for doing this to me:

12 different colored pressings.
Compared to an album I really want that's also pressed by SL:

3, the lowest one being around $65.

I've been complaining about this for months and it still gets me heated as gently caress.

Robotic Empire also does this. So did ThreeOneG but I'm not sure if they're really all that active anymore.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Today ruled. I emailed Don Giovanni Records about how I hadn't gotten my Screaming Females "Live at the Hideout" after it hadn't gotten there forever even though I preordered it on the day it was announced and that I suspected poo poo was getting stolen out of my mail (Swans "To Be Kind" was tracked and even though it said it was delivered, it didn't get to my apartment for another week). Because I had the Priests EP also preordered, I asked them to change the address to my office at work for that delivery. I haven't heard back from them, so I didn't really expect much.

Well, I get to work and the Screaming Females LP got dropped off, totally unexpectedly, so it must have never gotten delivered by my mailman. The photo included was 10/200, which was neat. Then, when I got home, I saw that my Bob Mould "Beauty and Ruin" go delivered even though it's not supposed to be released until 6/3.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

http://www.insound.com/promos/biggest-sale-ever

Insound is having a sale. Amongst all the posters is some super-cheap vinyl, including the Panda Bear - Tomboy 4XLP box for $10.49.

Use code welovevinylmore for a further 10% off.

Thanks for this. Picked up the Feelies 7", the New Order 7", the Replacements 7", and Xiu Xiu's "Dear God, I Hate Myself" for less than $20 after shipping.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 8, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Jawbreaker's "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" just got reissued and repressed.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Pains of Being Pure at Heart have a very good tour only EP that's worth picking up ($10).

Can anyone recommend a cheapish (sub $150) preamp with volume control? I'm helping my dad set up his old gear but his ancient but awesome receiver finally kicked it and they don't have the scratch to spare to replace it right now, so I'm going to grab him one for Christmas and get his setup back up and running.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Screaming Females have some of their (formerly) tour-only 7" of "Wishing Well" available on their store. It's a very, very good song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_paR0LplI

http://www.screamingfemales.com/store_usa.html

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Just picked up the Bowie because none of the stores I went to had the Dead Milkmen or Husker Du albums.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I really like both of the new songs a lot, but, yeah, Heathen is great.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Elrobot posted:

Scored a couple of great haircut albums from goodwill for a buck a piece the other day too!

If that Gun Club record is even remotely playable that's a hell of a steal.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I just picked up a Sanyo JCX 2400 in really nice condition and holy crap does it sound good.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 31, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Crappy cell phone pic incoming.

The wood and metal are both in really good shape. It's a little dirty behind the glass (you can probably tell) but nothing too major. All of the electronics were working just fine.

The place I bought it from does a bunch of rehabbing and rebuilding of older gear (mostly cabinets, though) and they said they barely had to touch it.

EDIT: Whoops, JCX 2100K. I can read :downs:

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 31, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

More than enough for the speakers and room it's in. I really haven't seen how loud it can get, but around 30 is where I start worrying that my upstairs neighbors will get upset.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Picked up a copy of American Football on blue vinyl at last night's show. Discogs says only 300 were pressed for the Chicago shows but I can't find anything to back that up as of yet. Still, it looks and sounds great.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Two neat things:

Dinosaur Jr.'s "Bug: Live at the 930 Club" got reissued: http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/dinosaur-jr-bug-live

GBV also had "Bee Thousand" and "King poo poo & the Golden Boys" reissued.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

Gonna file this next to my Pure Moods comp from last year

Iirc Don Giovanni is opposed to RSD largely due to how much of the stuff is bought and flipped so I'd be surprised if this is real.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Red House Painters re-releasing all of their albums in a box set on RSD. 1,500 copies only. Gonna pay out the rear end for that but I must have it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

No Egrets posted:

I bought my very first record today, am I doing this right?

*edit*
I missed the other advice regarding my bootleg question. I think I'm going to split the difference and start saving for the official release and buy the best sub $50 bootleg to tide me over in the mean time. Thanks everyone for the replies.

thats a good record

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I'm a bit pissed that mcluskyism is only getting pressed for rsd so hopefully I can grab it but I ain't going to stand in line anywhere because gently caress that. Of course that means I will have to wait until Sunday because of how many bands are playing the events in chicago.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

forgot about RSD until like an hour ago. A used bookstore down the street from where I live has a decent collection, so I thought I'd check it out. There were like half a dozen people there for it. Good poo poo.

Nice. There's no point in trying to go to any Chicago stores right now because the lines are loving massive.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ballz posted:

Kind of surprised I wasn't able to find Mcclusky or the second Miles Davis box set.

McLusky was the only thing I really wanted so I am very happy that the Loop Reckless in Chicago had it and looked like it still had a bunch of other stuff. It was surprisingly quiet there. Looks like McLuskyism was limited to 1k copies.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

gently caress Record Store Day, but here's what I got.

Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Flame
Low - The Great Destroyer
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet, And Other Distress

is fantasy empire good? the past few lighting bolt albums have been kinda eh

otherwise nice haul

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

The Gallows posted:

Came in here to cry and moan about this. I can't believe it is gone again and I will never have it.

pretty sure it was an rsd first release guys.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

don giovanni put a bunch of test pressings and rare releases up on ebay. you can pick up an original pressing of screaming females "what if someone's watching their tv?" for like $20.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

my parents bring me beer from wisconsin, which is really as much as you can ask from from really cool parents

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

interpunct posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, by the way. Ended up winning that Waxahatchee test pressing.

Nice. Everything got a bit too rich for my blood.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

fac53 posted:

I don't understand the appeal of services like VNYL or Vinyl Me Please. Isn't shopping for your own records the fun part?

i subscribed to vinyl me please a while back and it's been nice to get a pretty well thought out package and good lp in the mail for 25 a month. the artwork they send with it has been really worth it (particularly j dilla's donuts one and torres' one) and last month getting menomea's "friend or foe" which hasn't been repressed at all in a super fancy package was pretty cool. it's a six-pannel-gatefold with some weird pinwheel thing in it. might not be everybody's bag but i can burn 25 a month to get some new poo poo. wouldn't have discovered torres without it probably.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 15, 2015

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

shmee posted:

With the art by Craig Thompson? Yeah that's a nice cover, and if you like the artwork then I'd recommend reading "Blankets" by him. Edit: though that's a biography, and drawn like one. "Goodbye Chunky Rice" is actually in the same style as the Memomena cover.

thanks! i'll look into it for sure! this isn't my video but it shows the packaging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgEJ2w0I_Pc

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

WASDF posted:

Went shopping with me dad around Seattle yesterday. Picked up so good sounds, but some EXPENSIVE bootlegs that I honestly got screwed over for - but that's my bad.

Paid $60 for that weird Music on Vinyl edition of Amputechture when it goes for like $20-$30 and I also paid $30 for that Stone Roses (2010 Japanese bootleg) when it goes for $20. But oh well, they're good albums!

New protomartyr is up for preorder and it's pretty cheap too. The album you have has one of the best put together lyric sheets in a while.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

New Deafheaven album is up for pre-order. US versions here and EU versions here

I ordered the pink EU version as it looks the nicest, and shipping is way cheaper to Australia from the EU than US.

Hell yeah let's talk about how much deafhaven owns instead of phish

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

i thought sunbather was awful

Sorry but you are wrong

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Hell yeah thanks for this.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

meow the jewels just dropped. one pressing.

http://www.daylightcurfew.com/collections/run-the-jewels-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Are Ink Spots pressings hard to find or something?