Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
My girlfriend is amazing and got me a turntable for Christmas. It’s an Audio-Technica Lp120-usb.

I live near Music Millenium in Portland so I’ll be broke in no time but here’s what I’ve picked up so far.

New Stuff

Queens of the stone age – S/T: Probably the coolest packaging so far, and of course it’s a great album.
Built to Spill – There is no enemy: My favorite band so I’m aiming for the discography, but this is all they had today.
Youth Lagoon – The year of hibernation: Girlfriend bought it. Couldn’t get into it when I first heard it on spotify, love it on vinyl.
Ty Segall – Singles 2007-2010: Rad, Rad album. Also one my girlfriend bought me.

Bargain Bins

So far I’ve been pretty lucky with these, all decent quality.

Glenn Miller had a bad scratch but only one track is seriously damaged. And Herb Alpert rules.

I also ordered some Otis Redding from Insound so I’m definitely looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
As someone relatively new to vinyl I have a couple questions. Previously, the only turntable I was familiar with had an automatic arm that would place itself and stop itself. Now that I have the AT-120 I have to do this manually. So:

1) Do I set the arm down while the record is already spinning, or do I place the stylus in the right position and then hit start? I feel like the latter is the way to go because it's easier to put in the right spot, but I don't know...

2)How bad is it for the stylus when the record is over but I don't immediately stop it? Sometimes I'll walk away for a minute and forget that it's still spinning. I guess linking back to the first question, do I lift the arm before or after I stop the record?

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

To answer both your questions: you are worrying too much. Records, while they need to be taken care of, are not some preciously fragile object that will become terribly unplayable if the temperature in your house is as so much 1 degree out of the acceptable range. They are somewhat durable, and as long as you take a little care and don't play them everyday, they should last years. Most of my parents records are still in good condition, even though they didn't worry about cleaning with every play, or using the best dust jackets, or taking proper care of their needles. Don't panic.

For more in-depth answers:

#1: I really don't know, but it is standard to drop the needle onto a moving platter. I could imagine that starting it cold could cause more wear and tear, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

#2: Please, don't worry so much. The run-out groove is just a regular groove that's blank and is a complete circle, rather than a spiral. It's designed so your needle has a place to stop without going into the center-label. Unless of course you have a record with a skip right at the very end, and then the needle just goes happily into the center label (I have a Morrissey record that does this). If you leave it running for a minute or two, you aren't destroying your needle in the process.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. Unfortunately my collection is small so it does seem like I'm playing my records daily, but that'll change with time.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I like to use the lever to manually lower the stylus onto the record(while it's spinning). I never actually use the little handle on the headshell because I feel like that's a good way to scuff a record or drop the needle too hard.

Wow, probably should've read a manual or something. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
Is there a specific place you guys go to look to find out how many pressings were done of a certain album, or other general information on vinyl output?