Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

EDIT: moved post to vintage stereo thread where I think it actually belongs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The MoFi reissue of The Cars self titled album is fantastic if anyone has been sitting on the fence about buying it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I Might Be Adam posted:

Last time I went to Hot Topic's website was to grab about 10 LPs for $50 shipped and got some neat new albums that I didn't know existed but the selection they have now is strictly Screamo or whatever and punk/mall punk stuff. Sure, they have some solid records like Siamese Dream and some Pink Floyd records but that new Animal Collective record was the only one I felt like buying and couldn't find anything else to push me over $30.

Oh well, I need to stop buying records for a bit.

Only one I want is Siamese Dream, so I'm in the same boat.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

You can put them in a frame too.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Finally got a decent record player today, an old school Hitachi with a Shure cartridge. Turns out the spike on the platter is too big for my Dinosaur Jr. Bug - Live at the 9:30 12". Don't want to push it down because the record is pretty limited and the jewel of my collection at this point (at least until my DFA1979 RSD release comes because that is gonna make me drool). Anything I can do?

Some people say just push down on the spindle and the hole will stretch a little, but I'm always afraid the record is going to break when I try to pull it off again so I use a pencil or bic pen and rotate in the hole on the record a little bit to make the hole a little larger (don't over-do it though).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So guess what arrived super surprisingly early?

(Grizzly Bear's new album, Shields in fancy fancy gold vinyl)

The album's not supposed to be launching until the 19th. I can't even redeem my download card until then. I'm expecting copies of iamamiwhoami's Kin and the Deerhoof flexi-book next week and I was gonna post all of the arrivals together, but this turn of events will also do quite nicely.

I got mine today today as well, haven't gotten a chance to listen yet though as I was on my way out the door when it got there. The vinyl looks cool though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

(Grizzly Bear's new album, Shields in fancy fancy gold vinyl)

Finally got a chance to listen to it, it's great except the second record is constant pops.

Sounds like a thrift store record.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? I didn't notice. Have you brushed it? Sometimes new records that are packed in board sleeves (like, all of them these days) come full of debris from the sleeve manufacture.

Yeah, I'll have to try giving it a wet clean.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

And then next year they are doing a mono set

Is this confirmed?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

Weezer - Weezer (The Blue Album) MFSL

I got that mofi Weezer album last week, sounds great.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

david puddy posted:

and whenever I drop the needle it is obviously to close to the spindle so it just lifts straight back up and I have to force the tonearm to stay in place before it actually plays it. Probably just my poo poo turntable though :negative:

I guess this is an advantage of having an entirely manual turntable.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well, it has a motor, I just have to move the tonearm onto the record and back off when it's done.

I do wish I had a switch to change speeds between 33 1/3 and 45, I have to remove the platter and move the belt to a different area on the pulley to change speeds.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Kevar posted:

The worst part is they are releasing the stereo reissues now and they have plans to release the whole thing again in mono next year.

Has this been confirmed?

I'd like some Beatles on vinyl, but would rather have mono.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

traveling midget posted:

Is this new MoFi a different master than the old MoFi?

It's pink vinyl, evidently the first time MoFi has used colored vinyl.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

traveling midget posted:

Right, but does it sound different?

I mean to say, as far as I know the only difference from the first MoFi release is the color of the vinyl. The announcement I saw only mentioned the color of the vinyl.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Charlie Brown Christmas reissue was released recently, I bought it and it's awesome.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan but the new 4 LP re-issue/re-master set of Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness is only 28 Canadian Dollars on Amazon.ca, an almost 46 dollar difference with the one on Amazon.com.

Shipping is high to the US ($10), but $40 total is a lot more palatable than $74.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well my order from Amazon Canada for the super cheap Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness got canceled :smith:

However, I visited my mother today and she found some old records that she gave me...

There's a lot of surface noise on Sgt. Pepper's, but still very listenable. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the other two yet.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

There's a popmarket sale on the Velvet Underground Mono LP box. I don't know the price because for some reason I have to register and log in to see it (and I'm far too lazy and already in possession of the box set), but I figured that some folks here would want to know.

$89.99

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alg posted:

Y'all are part of the problem.

What problem?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

Fuuuck I can't even find the boxset on amazon.ca anymore, got a link? or is this only for folks who got their order through before?

The wording in the email suggests it's only for people who's orders were canceled. I just followed the link in the email to find it. There was a coupon code in the email too as the price on the amazon page was like $65CDN

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So if I buy the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack tomorrow I'll be destroying my hobby?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Not really, but there's probably going to be only one copy and if you want it you're going to have to be out there at 7:00 am to get it. Honestly I'd be suprised if RSD lasts another two years. The majority of people buying the poo poo aren't even buying the records to listen to them.

I decided a long time ago nothing is worth waiting in line at 7am, so I'm showing up at like noon and if they have what they want I'm buying it, if they don't I'm just going home.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I bought the Love reissue and Lumineers EP today, they're both pretty great.

I showed up about 20 minutes after the store opened and they were busy, but no lines or anything. I wanted to get the Moonrise Kingdom sound track, but they said FedEx forgot to leave one of the boxes so they didn't have any. They're supposed to call me though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a Hafler DH-500 (255 WPC) and I think it would damage my hearing if I turned it up all the way :black101:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The entire Kishi Bashi album is good.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Read Menace posted:

What other crazy vinyl communities exist out there?

Some of those old blues 78's can fetch 5 figures.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pookdaddy G posted:

Sweet Jesus. That is gold as far as i'm concerned. I was about to post a picture of my new Cat Stevens record, but I think you take the cake good sir.

I haven't listened to much Cat Stevens, but I found a Mofi Tea for the Tillerman when I inherited my father's records and it's pretty nice. Which one did you get?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

traveling midget posted:

My Amazon.ca Mellon Collie order is "Shipping Soon", and they charged my bank :allears:

They still need more time to give me a good delivery estimate :argh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pious Pete posted:

The Cleveland group "Bears" has their holiday 7" "Snowman" on sale for $2. Well worth picking up if you like lowish-fi pop.

Shop / Bandcamp

They threw this in for free when I bought their newest album a few months ago. Greater Lakes and their self titled LPs are pretty good too.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alg posted:

the Fleetwood Mac re-press of Rumours is gonna be $99. lmao

I can go into any record store in my city and find 3 copies of Rumors for $5, why would I pay $100 for it? I'm not sure a reissue at any price makes sense for a record that's so common, but I could see people paying $15 to get a brand new clean copy.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Tapes are so cool to me for some reason. I've never really owned any because they went out of fashion right before I started buying music, but I just love their look for some reason. I'm sure the sound quality is terrible but I feel like they'd make great collectibles.

Making mixtapes on cassettes was a ton of fun, CD-Rs made it so easy the process lost some of it's magic.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

except for maybe the tonearm swivel assembly (no idea how much this could possibly matter, but I'd bet money it hovers around "inconsequential") and the acrylic platter.

What difference does an acrylic platter make?

This guy at vinylnirvana.com sells an acrylic platter for some AR tables (I have an ES-1) for $189. The platter I have now is metal (and fairly heavy). He seems to sell some magic rock type stuff (lead platter mat for $80?), but I did buy a drive belt from him and it works fine.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

While we're talking about Third Man Records, has anyone heard Black Lips Live at Thirdman and is it good?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yeah I bought it a few weeks ago. Good sound quality and setlist. Worth it for the music, but if you're into packaging and aesthetics it's a pretty lame release. Just comes in a sleeve, no artwork (are all live at third man records like this?). When I bought it it was $15, I don't regret buying it, but the price seems steep for a rather barebones release.

I live in Nashville so the local stores carry the TMR stuff and the store I like has it for $13. I really like their Good Bad Not Evil album so thought I might try it.

You're right though, the packing is really boring.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I know Norton Records got beat up pretty bad by Sandy, does anyone know how they're doing now?

They have several of records I want to buy, but it's not really clear what they have and what they don't.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

I wanna throw my hat into reccomending MusicDirect. Good service, extremely fast shipping (I ordered 3 days after a order from walmart.com and best buy and it came two days before with the basic shipping). That said DO NOT EVER buy a record from walmart.com. I ordered the White Album and it arrived with corners bent ugh.

I haven't ordered from them before, but soundstagedirect.com has been good to me the few times I've ordered from them. I normally buy from my local stores though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nomapple posted:

I notice a few people have ordered vinyl off Amazon here, what's your experience been like with it? For some reason I am wary of ordering records from a place like Amazon. I normally order from dedicated vinyl sites or direct from the label/artist.

Usually they send records in nice mailers, but I've gotten records from them that were in a taped up collapsed box if you know what I mean? I've also gotten a damaged record from them (no damage to shipping box), but amazon is super easy to do returns with (and they cross ship) so it's not that big a deal.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

vedicardi posted:

wow sucks to be you I guess

It was obviously sarcastic and his very next post even said it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I don't know if anyone here is into blues, but evidently TMR is starting a series of blues reissues/compilations and the first three are available for preorder... http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/document-records-reissues

EDIT: It goes beyond blues, it's "the building blocks and DNA of American culture. Blues, R&B, Elvis, teenagerism, punk rock"