Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Russian Folk Songs posted:

I dont follow Invada but Beak> own, and are a side project of Geoff Barrow from Portishead, so maybe you should check them out.

Invada is Barrow's label. They're pretty untouchable in my book having released various stuff by The Heads (who are easily top 3 heavy psych bands in the world right now).

In other news: Dusty Groove has early Funkadelic discography in store right now. It's all on 180g and goes for $15. May seem steep, but these 4 Men With Beards reissues go for $18 minimum elsewhere.

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=ymbx2hh6f6&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dfunkadelic%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=5ddpsj5697&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dfunkadelic%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Farts Domino posted:

I will gladly complain about most things Third Man but I can't hate on that

Jack White is a giant rear end in a top hat who, leading an army of lawyers, put Sympathy For The Record Industry label out of order and I'm really surprised that Jack Oblivian wants anything to do with that guy.

At the same time Third Man has some interesting thing in its catalogue: Tyvek, Human Eye, Neil Hamburger, Flat Duo Jets. It's great that these bands (and Gregg Turkington) would get more coverage thanks to the label.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I'd like to know the story that goes with this.

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other bands' stuff using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

Check out a book called "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson. It goes into this in more detail.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2012

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Musicians are notoriously dickish (except Wayne Coyne, but he's really in his own category for a lot of things) so that doesn't suprise me.

Alternatively:
It looks like he didn't have sympathy for the record industry after all.

I would say that the dickishness is directly proportional to the money they make off their records, in most cases.

On topic of RSD:
I would like to point your attention to annual 4-way split 7'' on Trouble In Mind Records. Each year they release a Record Store Day 7'' with four artists covering various older songs. This years edition looks great:

TRACK LIST
SIDE A:
1. Mikal Cronin - I Enjoy Being A Boy (Joey Levine, the song from Banana Splits)
2. Apache Dropout - Cuddly Toy (Harry Nilsson)
SIDE B:
3. The Paperhead - Stacey Grove (T.Rex)
4. The Limiņanas - Tu es ā moi (french version of The Troggs' "Come Now")

[EDIT]

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I can't say I'm not biased here, as I'm a total Jack White fan-boy, but I don't really have a problem with what he did. If losing the rights to two albums kills your record label and puts you into bankruptcy, then you obviously hosed up somewhere else along the line.

Ok, I would see how the first thing may seem acceptable if you consider releasing music a business (we're talking about garage-punk label here, I don't think it began with an idea of making loads of money). But trying to cut his old co-producer out of the money that he rightfully earned? That's just pure assholery right there.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 29, 2012

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

nadabolt posted:

not much, but maybe some interesting stuff? I only recently started collecting aggressively so hey.

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=sockrocker79

Homostupids fan! :respek: Great collection (love that Brain Sugar LP).
Do you know Folded Shirt? It's a 'Stupids side project of sorts. Mongloid-Beefartian punk. They just released their final 7'':
http://fashionableidiotsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mouth-clock

Couple of comments on your wishlist:
"Destination Lonely" (both on CD and LP) is still avaiable from Nick Phillips
http://www.corduroy.com.au/
shipping from Australia is a bitch, but seeing you're a Slicks fan that wouldn't be a problem.

Royal Headache is getting a stateside repress on What's Your Rupture:
http://whatsyourrupture.bigcartel.com/product/royal-headache-s-t-lp-cd-preorder

You probably know that "Marines" 7'' is now priced around 50 bucks (or more). It's not going to drop anywhere soon since Chris Woodhouse will not repress any of the Mayyors releases. Got lucky getting the second press of "Deads" back in the day.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

nadabolt posted:

THANKS for the tip on that Slicks LP, I immediately got in contact with that guy. Those things go for unruly prices everywhere I seem em, so shipping is no concern.

No problem. By the way, "On Your Knees" is getting a reissue on Almost Ready Records in about a month or so. And there's a new Slicks LP on the way this year, on Columbus Discount.

on topic:

Top 3 Reasons To Love Mark Arm Other Than Him Playing In Mudhoney:
1. He also played in Monkeywrench and Bloodloss.
2. He's an overall swell guy.
3. He asked Sub Pop to reissue this:
http://www.subpop.com/releases/feedtime/full_lengths/the_aberrant_years
38 bucks for 4LPs, people.

This is heavy rock history right there. "Shovel" is a bloody classic.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Not an Anthem posted:

Termbo poster? There are some F/S fans in here for sure.

Yeah. Glad to hear it. Will consider making a scum-punk thread, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

narujoe posted:

Well, the album I'm looking at is from 84 (Zen Arcade), and it still says no bar code on it. I'm thinking the label (SST) might have been small enough to have not started to follow that trend, would I be right on this assumption?

Flipper also parodied that by putting a fake barcode on the front cover of their Generic Album. Punk labels generally don't put barcodes on their record covers.