Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey thread! I recently found my record collection buried in a closet and realized I have no turntable. The OPs haven't been updated in almost a decade, so, real quick, I have no amps or really any stereo equipment at all and I'd like to be able to give some of this stuff a spin again. If possible I'd like to route it to the line in on my PC so I can listen to it through my PC headphones. What's the best option for something like this? Craigslist turntable + cheap preamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey thread, the recommendations in the OPs are pretty old -- is the AT-LP60X a decent buy for ~$120 USD? I'm basically planning on running the built-in preamp's output into the line level input on my PC to mix it into my PC audio. Not really planning on getting a fancy receiver and speaker setup anytime soon.

e: I should clarify I'm not really much of a vinyl collector or anything, just someone with a bunch of records I've had in storage for like, seven years that I'd like to be able to put on and listen to again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I walked into Best Buy this evening to get some cables and as I walked into the audio section, lo and behold, an AT-LP60X was staring me in the face with a stack of boxed ones underneath it. Clearly it was a sign.

First thing I'm spinning: Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Boinks posted:

The uncensored Break On Through just sounds weird and off. No way I'd ever buy a copy of the album with this on it:

Skip to around 1:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el7E-cqvfP0

Huh. I'd never actually *heard* the unedited version of Break On Through until today. It definitely sounds odd, almost forced.

I looked it up and of course what I can find on it is idiots on reddit claiming it's not real and/or they're from a parallel universe where that version of the song doesn't exist, because obviously edits that everyone comes to know as the complete song can't be a thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPL593H posted:

On a serious note: I use gender neutral pronouns to refer to people online because for the most part you don't know who anyone is.

Same. It's way easier to just use "they" until you actually know what someone goes by. Best case, you get it right, and they actually use they! "Worst" case, you cause some magachud to go into a frothing rage about pronouns and out themselves as awful bigots.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPL593H posted:

"Yeah he came by my house and I gave him the schlock rod!"

edit: Jesus Christ, of course this would be the first post on a new page.

The Vinyl Thread - I gave him the schlock rod!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My local indie record store was closed today so I went to Sunrise and spent a fair bit too much money on a new hologram pressing of 2112 (really cool; it has a locking groove on side 2 so your stylus doesn't run over the Starman hologram) and a recent pressing of Birth of the Cool.

Tomorrow (today? Wednesday.) I think I'm going to hit up a couple of thrift stores to see what I can find, since that indie store is closed again, then check out the indie store when it opens back up again Thursday afternoon. I haven't actually been in there since I was 18! One of the wonders of moving back to your hometown.

e: Since I'm listening to it, does anyone here have an original pressing of Genesis - Invisible Touch, and if so, can they confirm if it's an unusually loudly mastered album? Mine doesn't sound like it's been compressed or anything but for a 1986 album it's really quite loud.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 14, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Record cleaning question: I have an LP that almost appears like someone spilled something nasty on it that won't come out with just hot soapy water. I haven't been able to find any other original pressings of this album and I'd like to recover it if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that an even coating of wood glue might work but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

It's not a particularly *rare* record I don't think but it's not something I've seen any reprints or other copies of in any of my local stores so, if I can rescue this original, I'd love to.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pwn posted:

It makes it easy but i love to learn new things so please run me through what i’d have to do.

This sounds aggressive but I really wanna know!

One of the standard 3.5mm jacks on pretty much every PC motherboard since 1998 is line level audio in. It appears as a "recording device" like a microphone does so you can just go from your preamp to the line in jack and hey presto your record player is now a device your computer can record audio from.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sporklift posted:

Are there advantages to running the 3.5mm jack over using USB? I have a mixer with a USB out that seems to work ok but if the mic jack is better for some reason I would love to know.

Fewer ADC and DAC stages I guess.

Also for those wondering the difference between the mic 3.5mm and the line in 3.5mm in your PC is that they are the same circuit, but the line in one skips the lovely onboard preamp. For that reason you can't actually use both the microphone jack and the line in jack at the same time. If for some reason you did need both at the same time, well... Creative Labs will sell you a PCIe Sound Blaster that can do that for $40. Seriously.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sporklift posted:

Ah. Ok. I guess I had always avoided the 3.5 jack because they sounded like poo poo on my older computers. So I run my turntables through my main mixer which runs line out to a USB mixer to the computer. I'll have to try running straight to the 3.5.

The DAC in your USB mixer is probably better by some minuscule amount and might have a slightly higher noise floor, but modern integrated audio DACs are expected to put out 5.1 at high volume so even relatively inexpensive motherboards tend to have some capacitors for signal filtering and the like.

We've come a long way since AC97.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wonder if they're going to do another run of those Bebop LPs. I'd love to get one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pwn posted:

My only real complaint with the garth records is they’re all in simple jackets, no attempt is made to reproduce all the photos that were in the CD booklets, which is arguably the best part of the album

Reminds me, I gotta see if I can find an LP of No Fences. That album is an absolute classic.

Garth Brooks was the first inspiration for me to become a musician as a wee young lad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Y’all are going to have me going through my collection blasting the entire visible spectrum and half of everything else at it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Went to the mall to get a haircut, also walked out with some Canadian lads. My collection is now ever so slightly more cancon compliant :canada:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

I just bought 21 Garth Brooks records because I don't know poo poo about Garth Brooks. :buddy:

He got banned from CMT once for making a song and music video about an abused wife shooting her rear end in a top hat husband in the face and refused to let them edit that part out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gonna hit up my local record stores tomorrow and see if I can find one of those box sets locally. And also maybe The State on vinyl since there was apparently a reissue in 2017.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Garth Brooks out here singlehandedly revitalizing the record pressing industry

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

someone explain to me the triplicate nature of these garth brooks boxsets. are they like different masterings of the same albums?

There's one version where the LPs are using the original analog masters, one where the LPs are using the new digital remasters, and one where the LPs are using the original analog masters AND you get CDs of the new digital remasters.

e: While I'm here, if you're like me and you like metal and also Garth Brooks, State of Mind did a real fuckin' good cover of "The Thunder Rolls".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMRu0uHErY

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pwn posted:

I do not know if this original/remaster business applies to the Triple Live album. I haven’t yet listened, he did release a Double Live CD back in the late 90s, I don’t know if this contains any or all of those tracks. I did listen to that CD a lot back in the day, but I’m not sure I could tell if they’re the same without a refresh.

Double Live is a completely different album that was recorded in the mid-late 90s. Triple Live is from like 2016 or something.

I listened to Double Live a lot growing up. That album made me want to become a guitarist.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my turn in the barrel posted:

On a related note I found a sealed Muzak Stimulus Progression LP at a flea market last weekend.

Guessing it was a promo that was given out to entice business owners to try/buy a muzak subscription and not particularly rare.

For a buck or two I would have picked it up but $6 was too steep for a gimmick album I would never listen to so I passed on it.

Shamelessly stolen from the newspaper comics thread today:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

how bout smokin a garth bowl

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

beergod posted:

Holy gently caress so much Garth vinyl in my closet

I'll take some of it off your hands.

(do not actually mail me a garth box set, shipping to BC will probably suck)

e: Actually I should check my local record store after work tomorrow and see if they have it. Amazon.ca wants some dumb number of beaverbucks for it with no shipping date estimates at all.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 6, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pitwar posted:

I'm really shocked by all the Garth Brooks love in this thread.

I know very little about country music, but may Dad is a huge country buff. He's always treated Brooks as a bit of a joke, kinda mass market country music for the casuals.

I guess I always assumed that was the consensus with country fans, but this thread has proved me wrong.

In an era where pop country hits include "she thinks my tractor's sexy" and "hold my beer (while I kiss your girlfriend)", "Friends in Low Places" is an absolute masterpiece of an enjoyable country singalong.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fellow inhabitants of the frozen wastes north of the 49th (:canada:): Does importing vinyl through the Discogs marketplace suck or is it relatively painless? Couple albums I want to get but I can't find anywhere other than on Discogs or via sketchy Russian eBay sellers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not usually into coloured vinyl but this translucent red pressing of Colin James' eponymous debut album is absolutely lovely.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

But how many live shows does one need. Like, is the version of Teen Spirit from Japan that much better or different than the one from California or Australia?

Some audiophile out there will probably attest that the 100VAC mains in Japan produce a more pronounced, fuller sound from the mixing board than the 110VAC in California or the 230VAC in Australia or something absurd like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bismack Billabongo posted:

For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

Go buy a ring, my dude.