Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Whenever I have a shipment in the mail I occasionally wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that goon earlier getting their records bent in half by the mailman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Posted without comment:

Okay, I'll comment. I admit that I once had trousers like that.

Also he looks a little too much like Rick Moranis. I'll admit it, I bought this because at the time it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, I dunno.

You can’t fool me, that’s a Martin Short character.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

sporklift posted:

I had a ton of sports cards as a kid. poo poo was all from the 90's and when my mom dumped all the boxes on me a few years back I tried looking up to see if there was any value and ended up dumping them at a thrift store. (I kept my Blazers team sets though!) Now I see there is a bit of a resurgence. Same with all my He Man poo poo. Got $200 for all of it a few years back and now it would probably have got me double or triple that. Oh well. Now I am slowly selling off my significant graphic novel/comic collection. All to make room for more records. I decided at my age I can only have one dumb hobby.

Sports cards are kind of bizarre because stuff from before the 80s is still actually pricy, and the market for current cards got nuts especially during COVID. The 80s-90s cards are still relatively cheap, things like the Ken Griffey Jr rookie or the Bill Ripken "gently caress Face" card can be gotten for $15-$20, but today's market seems more like the sneaker market to me, mostly speculation. Sure you have some 2021 1/1 Mike Trout, but if there are 100 other 1/1 Mike Trouts this year, is that card really that special? I'm just salty because I like picking up a few boxes each year and ripping packs and looking at the guys rather than searching for hits or trying to make money.

Also I might be the idiot with more money than sense, as I bought 3 Ryo Fukui albums from France for $150 rather than get them for $50-$55 apiece off of Light in the Attic.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

dorium posted:

I hope it was that one that had the Menendez brothers on it. They’re just chilling in some courts side seats watching the game.

I bought that one in 2019 for $15 and I waaaay overpaid then

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Some new records today, luckily for y'all I cropped my feet out.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

abraham linksys posted:

there's like exactly 5 songs from this game i actually love and of course most of them are on the 6xLP version.

as ever, i do not actually want a giant box set soundtrack I will never listen to in full, and instead wish they'd just put out a little 7" of the songs I like the most or something. lemme get a Friday Night/Baka Mitati single

Yeah I'm with Abe on this one, give me a tight collection of the dancing/karaoke songs and I'd listen to that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, the resurgence of I checked the Japan section of my local record store, but it was all ~1950s-era "crooner" type music. Very cool, but not what I was looking for.

It's more jazz fusion, but this is my Japanese music white whale...I could afford one if I saved up, but it's hard to justify that kind of spending right now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=287930&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

It's your lucky day!

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7852-mint-jams

Also check out this rad album cover:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Specifically packed my stylus in a separate box and then I loving dropped it

:argh:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Picked up a few albums while out antiquing, I think the winner so far is Tangerine Dream’s Exit.

On another note, anyone know where to find the numbers of certain pressings? I’m curious how many LPs of Melissa Etheridge’s Yes I Am that Island Europe put out.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got these in from Light in the Attic last week and finally gave them a listen. The Country Funk albums are a lot of fun, maybe I should get more country (not Garth Brooks)

Also I subjected my coworkers to some city pop last night, I should get some more city pop before summer's over.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

CaptainBeefart posted:

Country funk? I'm very intrigued.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/729-country-funk-1969-1975

and

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7878-country-funk-volume-3-1975-1982

I like being able to listen to snippets of songs on many of LitA's listing, helps with blind buys. Vol 3 is a new release, and Vol 1 is a repress.

I'm regretting not preordering both of those Casiopea represses but I balked at $50 per record.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Yeah, a lot of LITA's Japanese music releases are EXPENSIVE. I had to choose between Mint Jams and the red racecar album...I went with the former. HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE.

I'll probably pick them up on discogs eventually. I really like the art of the racecar album, reminds me of my dad's paintings.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Arcella posted:

I'll probably pick them up on discogs eventually. I really like the art of the racecar album, reminds me of my dad's paintings.

Whoops!

I love the back cover of them in the race suits :kimchi: Actually ended up being pretty reasonable even with 3-day shipping from Japan

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
LISTEN to music? Buddy this thread is about buying records.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Samsquamsch posted:

Nice!! Mind posting a link? I know they're already going to make me cringe at the price, but that album art has always spoken to me. Takes me back to days playing GT5.

It was from discogs, but this was the seller: https://www.discogs.com/user/STR-INTL

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Oh, I will definitely check this out! Thank you.

Y'all like soul/funk/R&B, etc? Here's a re-print of a great 1982 album! (You'll definitely know the song Forget-Me-Nots)

https://patricerushen.bandcamp.com/album/straight-from-the-heart-remastered

I was whistling the song to myself when my wife pointed it out the men in black song is a parody

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
A few new arrivals

I gotta say despite Rufus' best efforts, the tracks where he plays the saxophone are far far better than the bagpipe tracks.

The Arthur Lyman has a regular pop in it but I can't see a deep scratch and the record is flat, it's not like there's a big rise to it or anything. I've got a spin clean coming in the mail, I need to clean all these used records.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

I actually found them via a sample in a futurefunk song (Macross 82-99's "82.99 FM"), and instantly fell in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIT_HDABvaM&t=82s
(Time stamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqYl3clflI
(Actual song)

Nice! I like that song I'll have to check out the album.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Speaking of Horror records...

Shipment from LitA this week:

The Aerobics record even comes with a poster!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I think the last CDs I bought were a couple Charisma.com albums since buying Japanese music digitally is a pain.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Buffis posted:

Very sad that they disbanded :(
Fun fact, this album somehow got a EU pressing on Vinyl. It's also dirt cheap for some reason.

Aw really? Bummer! I had looked at some of their LPs on Discogs very casually the other day.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Pretzellogic posted:

Vaporwave

Is this close enough?

Oh I have a MECO record, it’s got a space escalator on it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Chinook posted:

Just posting this here because I had asked for an in-stock alert and it’s back in stock!

https://www.coleminerecords.com/pro...=15851220402278

Just a badass session that I’ve been waiting to be back in stock for a long time. Sorry for the long URL, I’m on mobile and just got excited. :)

Check the YouTube link on that page if you want to give it a listen. Pretty sure that’s the “warm up” session, but it’s great.

Anyway I was bummed because it was so drat expensive on Discogs but this was only $25. Yay

I listened to a bit of this on Spotify and I’ll probably pick this up, thanks!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

steckles posted:

Nothing like spending way too much when you find out there's a picture disc of something you already own.

What's the one in the middle?

Found out the one on the right is Aquarium by Bronze, surprisingly there's also a picture disc for Aqua's 1997 album Aquarium:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Banger of a day at the record store yesterday:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

BigFactory posted:

I have Floppy Disk! Never listened to it.

I had to get it when I saw the cover, but listened to a bit on spotify and I'm looking forward to playing the whole thing.

I mean:

https://youtu.be/9rQ3dgs2d8A

Arcella fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 7, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Bismack Billabongo posted:

For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

This rules. You had better bring it when her birthday comes around.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Have any local DJ friends in the area who may want it?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Along with Alpert I always seem to see a ton of Al Hirt records in the jazz section. There’s a scene in that new sopranos movie where Tony’s uncle gives Ray Liotta an Al Hirt record because he likes jazz and had previously asked for Miles Davis anyway that’s just about the only good scene in the movie and I think about it when I’m at the record store.

In recent pickups I got some Hawaiian/Tropical that I haven't listened to yet because I've been a bit under the weather, along with the Drive soundtrack and the third volume of the Japanese Funk collection.

Also I think Read After Burning and I have very similar taste because whenever they post I listen to some albums and then buy them. So we have Yugoslavian pressings of Eddy Grant and Atmosfear by Tangerine Dream. No reason in particular i got Yugo pressings, other than the ephemera of records that are from a country that no longer exists.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 18, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Ooh, thank you! I mostly enjoy this, although some of the distorted vocals are odd (appropriate for vaporwave, not so much for other stuff :colbert:)

THREAD. I am so happy. After almost six months, I just scored one of the last in-stock vinyl copies of Bae 5 by Yung Bae....some fantastic future funk. Japanese Disco Edits set is still in stock, but $75 for three records is way too much for me right now.

https://yungbaebae.bandcamp.com/album/bae-5

In stock where? A quick google showed it as sold out everywhere and it's $150-$200 on discogs.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

It was on his website. Looks like it sold out an hour or two ago..boo! I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. He seems to re-stock them a few times a year, usually around the same time as live sets.

You did! Unfortunately those albums aren’t on Spotify but I can grab them on band amp to tide me over. My receiver with Bluetooth actually sounds pretty good and it’s a good way to check out albums before I buy them.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Got my Black Friday haul from Ears of the Beholder and the Piper represses from Light in the Attic:

I also picked up the 45 of this banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uU36sqpqoE

and the B-side is pretty good tooo!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I mean I've used buyee before and of course bought from discogs sellers in Japan, but I also like the curation, small writeups, and sample tracks on youtube EOTB puts on their pages. All the records I've gotten from them so far have been in stated or better condition, so I view the whole thing as worth a few bucks of markup. They actually had original pressings of Casiopea the other day for a decent price that went super quick.

I'll still probably get that whole Air Suspension Club Band record eventually.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
^^^ I still need to get Eau de Vie

For you (insane) alphabetizers, what about the. Someone’s name is part of the band, eg Delvon Lamar Organ Trio?

Arcella fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Rolo posted:

I think I'm going to return my AT120-XBT

I’m running into a much less bad but similar problem where I have to turn off my sound bar when I turn on the turntable, and yeah as far as I can tell no way to undo it. The BT absolutely did what I needed to before I had a receiver and decent speakers but now it’d be nice if I didn’t have to do that. No idea how it found your neighbor’s device to connect if it hadn’t been paired.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Okay give me a second.

BTW, Stan stole Astrid (the Girl from Ipanema girl) from Joao right after this album was recorded, is my rough guess. But Astrid is not Bebel's mother, so Joao did all right in the long run. Correct me if I don't understand all this correctly.

ED: more than a second, I just drained my camera's battery, apparently, got to give it a bit to charge back up. Hope you'll bear with me, I found some acid memorabilia I wanted to post to this thread this evening.

ooh! I have a repress of this. Excellent lounge vibes

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Where do you get these from, I forget. Yahoo Japan?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

screaden posted:

Mostly, and a few other shops that will only ship within Japan and only deal with Japanese buyers which the ZenMarket can handle, gotta consolidate on shipping!

Ah cool. I saw you had posted a city pop discord link a while ago, that thing still active?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
^^^cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

EL BROMANCE posted:

I guess photography might be the one that's gone in the other direction, as digital means no more having to have a developing room at your house if you're serious to that degree.

It will, of course, still find ways to eat up every penny you have though.

Yeah you can dump that money into lenses! :buddy:

Or throw away money on film like an anachronistic nerd.