Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hey guys, any recommendations for record stores in Omaha, NE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I don't think I'll be buying any RSD stuff since I blew my load on this haul:

Harvey Mandel - Baby Batter
Neil Merryweather - Space Rangers
Wilson Pickett - In Philadelphia
Judy Cheeks - Mellow Lovin'
The Desperados - S\T
The Naked Ape OST
Claudja Barry - The Girl Most Likely
Roy Head - Same People
Tommy James & the Shondells - Crimson & Clover
Jimmy Smith - Respect
Rotary Connection - Aladdin
Johnnie Taylor - Wanted One Soul Singer

Plus these that I picked up in Omaha and Sioux Falls:

VA - Solid Gold Soul
Lenny Bruce - The Real Lenny Bruce (came with bonus Randy Newman - Sail Away disk tucked in one side of the gatefold!)
Odetta - Sometimes I Feel Like Cryin'
Clarence Carter - Patches
The Shirelles and King Curtis - Give a Twist Party
Ann Peebles - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down
Traffic - Mr. Fantasy
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Trust
Bar-Kays - Dangerous

marjorie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2019

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, I've been looking for a decent copy of that particular Johnnie Taylor album (that didn't cost $100+) for years. He's one of my favourites. Ann Peebles is obviously ace as well.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I just got back from seeing Man Man for the first time (I'd only heard two or three songs) and holy poo poo, that show was a loving riot. For some unexplained reason Rebecca Black opened for them and she was charming, genuine and appreciative of being able to do what she did.

Oh drat, the show at the Hawthorne? I almost went to that, but my band wanted to practice so I had to bail. Sounds like I missed a good time.

In vinyl news, I finally managed to grab two albums of The Mummies for less than $50 total, so I'm stoked about that. Speaking of missing out on shows, it seems they played a killer show here a few months ago and I had no idea. I need to up my live music game!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, Little Axe is great. Have you guys been to Tomorrow Records on Hawthorne? It seems a little small in terms of inventory, but I haven't been in to check it out yet.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

Guaranteed the problem with that guy's eye is diabetic eye disease.

C'mon, clearly it's from all the Dust in the Wind.

... I'll show myself out.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Sounds cool, I'll try to stop by!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If you've gotten to the point where you're going to the record store, see something for a good price, and then have to think for awhile whether you have it already: it's time to load everything on discogs.

I'll do you one better - I recently went to a couple shops on a Saturday and came home to find that I'd bought the same record twice in that outing. I could've sworn I'd put it back at the first store...

marjorie
May 4, 2014

1000 umbrellas posted:

Full restoration from the original tapes of Gene Clark's masterpiece helmed by 4AD:

http://geneclark.4ad.com

Can't say I'm very interested in the $150 box set version considering there doesn't seem to be a lot of extra material surrounding this record; the last time it was released we got some demos/working versions of the same album tunes, and this seems to add just more session mixes without any of the overdubs. But I will definitely pick up the LP.

Hey man, thanks so much for this heads up. I've been watching for that album on eBay for awhile now and rarely see it dip below $40.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I figure some dudes will wanna get in on this: The Frogs are back for a west coast tour, baby.

I am

sofuckinghappyrightnow.

Hell yes, thank you for this.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Unless I'm mistaken, the Portland show goes on sale Friday. Guessing the rest may too?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-residents-tickets-82902087375?aff=eand

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

End of All Music has cleaned up and remastered The Frogs' first unreleased album! It's out on April 3rd, a limited press of 1000 with 500 being on purple vinyl. Copies will be available at the shows, which are coming up soon:

02.14 - Rickshaw Theatre - Vancouver, BC
02.15 - Substation - Seattle, WA
02.16 - Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR
02.18 - Chapel - San Francisco, CA
02.19 - Roxy - Los Angeles, CA
02.21 - Soda Bar - San Diego, CA
02.22 - Bunkhouse - Las Vegas, NV

Pirannha Volcano God is a top tier cut if only because the melody you're imagining in your head is exactly what the song is.

Hell yes, I'm going to grab one at the Portland show.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

internet celebrity posted:

Sat By A Tree might be my new favorite song of his, that bass line is infectiously catchy and I haven't been able to stop humming it.

Same here. I dig those OMD vibes it gives me.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Night one of The Frogs! I'm so happy that this is a thing that's going down. The record looks pitch black unless you hold it up to a light.

Sweet - I'm looking forward to seeing them tonight and grabbing a copy!

e: Show was phenomenal. Super loose and fun, but still brilliant - Evan Dando was a perfect fit. They did an extended encore that was just fantastic and I got to shake Jimmy's hand at the end. Can't wait to spin my copy of Wingsz.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 17, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

The Seattle show felt like a warm-up in comparison and the Portland show ran about 30 minutes longer! Dando was a trainwreck but endearingly so - dude seemed to be the happiest guy in the room.

Haha yes! Glad someone got a picture of that. I must've been standing right next to you and didn't even realize it! :wave:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

These

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I just hope they lift the ban on large gatherings here before their show in April - I've been looking forward to that for awhile.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

The entire tour's been postponed. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did considering the average age of the group - even Disneyland shut down before The Residents pulled a tour.

Including the five Residents shows I had tickets to, I've had about 15 concerts postponed in the last two days alone. :thunkgun:

drat. I actually injured my foot recently so I'm glad a couple of my shows got postponed, but I'll be better by April, and I guess it was just wishful thinking everything would be back to normal by then. I'm up to about 5 cancellations through the end of the month, a few more in April, counting the Residents, which I'm sure will balloon in the next couple days.

In vinyl news, I took a trip to Vancouver, B.C. a couple weeks ago and visited Zulu Records. Can't remember if I got that recommendation from here, but it was a pretty cool shop. Grabbed these and a few others:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Almost makes up for missing the show (the rescheduled date for next year is already locked in on my calendar of course).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I'm so goddamn curious now 'cause the press release describes it as "Perhaps the most polished and accessible Residents album ever recorded, and packed with guest appearances, nifty production tricks and, of course, the spirit of Alvin Snow. "

Wanna know about them guest appearances after they said they'd be releasing a 7" with Frank Black on vocals doing DIE! DIE! DIE!.

Any chance any more info will leak before the release? On the one hand, I want to be surprised and not even read the jacket before my first playback. But on the other hand I'm so curious!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Nope.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

FWIW (from my order detail page, linked in the original email they send after you place an order):

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I just ordered a record off of eBay that shipped yesterday and it's estimated to arrive the day after the Lynch album. They're both coming from the east coast (I'm on the west coast) and presumably shipping via media mail, so I'm not sure why there's such a difference. Maybe the bandcamp estimate is just generous and I'll be surprised with an earlier delivery!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

drat, I got a delivery today and was hoping that was it, but no dice. Maybe tomorrow? Ah well, I'm looking forward to this one anyway!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

Refresh! It's back in stock!

Edit: It's overpriced at about $41 when you factor in shipping but I am a weak man and got it anyways. :sigh:

Aw drat, I'm so mad - I even set a calendar entry but forgot to actually have it generate a reminder. I might break down and buy the clear variant just to have something because this is totally my jam.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

Keep refreshing, it does seem to be coming in and out of stock. Not sure what's up with that.

There's also a $70 bundle that includes the score and some useless swag nobody wants.

Wow, that bundle does have terrible swag. That mask :stare:

The bundle includes the clear variant of the radio selections too, and I don't care as much about the score, so I just ordered the standalone clear radio one. I'll probably do the same as you and just flip it if I'm able to get the black later. Thanks for the initial heads up by the way!

Edit:

caligulamprey posted:

It's back up again! What the gently caress is going on with this website?

And why am I so invested in this?

That's so crazy, I've been refreshing (the black variant) and it's been sold out the whole time for me. Unless you mean the clear version, which would still be weird because that one has never been sold out whenever I've checked.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 25, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

If you're like me, you've been dreaming of having a Galaxy News Radio/old timey Fallout music record for about 10 years now. And now, at last, the dream is so, so close to becoming reality...

even if it doesn't have everyone's favorite nudist anthem "Let's Go Sunning" on it.

Edit:

Black variant never went live. I messaged them on Twitter asking what's up with that. The clear version keeps going in and out of stock, but with a pressing quantity of 250 I can't imagine it'll last long regardless.

Ah, bizarre. Well I got the confirmation for the clear one so hooray! (I'm in the same boat as you re: wanting this since basically the first time I played a Fallout game)

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Oh drat, well then I'm even happier with my clear variant!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

So is anyone else still waiting on that one (Flame of Love) to arrive, or just me? My order page says it shipped on May 28, estimated to arrive June 11th, but nothing. I put in the order January 24th.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ah, good idea Ballz. Thanks for the confirmation, guys; I don't mind waiting, I just didn't know if it was missing. Totally understand delays.

pwn posted:

The Magnolia OST is terrific, of course. I put it on the other night while dissecting and cleaning a Virtual Boy controller with corroded battery terminals. Absolutely perfect music for slow, methodical cleaning.

Very cool. Might need to add that to my list.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

(oh man, the new Residents album is out next week!)

Speaking of, I'm trying to figure out the best place to grab this. Looks like there's a delay to the US via Cherry Red's site, but the MVD site has very little description and the price makes me think it's not the double LP. Then there's the crazy special editions these guys are selling (also subject to delays shipping to the US).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I pre-ordered via Amazon and cancelled as soon as they said it wouldn't be on my door for over a week. I've got a couple local stores that are open in a limited capacity that I'll check day of release.

Psychofon will charge an arm and a leg for extravagant "limited edition" pressings then turn around and re-press them "due to high demand" before the original stock even sells out. They have lovely business practices and I refuse to give them money.

No matter what, the release is kinda borked to begin with - the CD will have six extra tracks that won't show up on the vinyl at all even though the vinyl release (and I believe it only comes as two records) has two LPs with the demos taking up an entire LP despite running less than 25 minutes total.

Cherry Red's been blowing it since they bought the rights, honestly (Ghost of Hope, Intruders and now Dyin' Dog all drop songs for the vinyl releases). Secret Records is the only label that does up Residents releases right.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the special editions anyway; good to know about their generally bad practices. It looks like I might go the local store route too - I haven't been in 5 months and I'm sure there are some around here being safe enough to make me feel ok about it. Ugh, reminded how much I miss my therapeutic crate digging.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I haven't taken a proper lunch break in months because I don't see the point if I can't go flip through some records.

I hear ya - I'd usually take a long walk to one of the smaller places on my way home after work, or to the big place right when they open on the weekends, but I've been working from home and they've all been either closed or doing curbside only for so long that it's out of my routine now (or whatever semblance of a routine I have these days anyway).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Looks like bandcamp is having another revenue share waving day tomorrow, so I might order a few records there. Could use some inspiration; does anyone have something killer they've bought off of there recently or something that gets a lot of playtime for you (bonus if it's a lesser-known artist/band who might really benefit from the extra revenue)?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Good call; I'm sorely lacking in the Rob Crow vinyl area, PLUS I felt bad about missing (for a dumb reason) the Pinback show here recently(ish).

CPL593H posted:

Apparently you can buy Tropical gently caress Storm records on bandcamp so do that.

Thank you, yes, another good call.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, no blanket change in prices, just thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to give artists a little extra since I can't shell out for live show tickets at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ballz - I'll check out the ones I'm not familiar with and I'm sure at least a couple will make the list (my musical tastes are haphazard, so I just figured anything someone takes the time to recommend would be worth checking out).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

I have no idea what your musical tastes are, but last month I got Heritage by Mark de Clive-Lowe and tomorrow will probably pick up Heritage II.

Some other random recs:

CBD by Count Bass D harkens back to his Dwight Spitz/Act Your Waist Size days.

Butcher Brown's Afrokuti: A Tribute to Fela. My favorite local jazz band doing Fela-inspired beats.

IV by Chris Schlarb's Psychic Temple aka the guy who did the awesome Dropsy soundtrack.

BADBADNOTGOOD - III Wait holy poo poo they reissued this album? Whelp I know what I'm getting tomorrow.

pwn posted:

Gonna proselytize on behalf of my beloved, Tuscon’s own Golden Boots. Strongly suggest DBX ‘n’ SPF. There’s 1 left. Grab this loving album! There’s also the handmade cover version if you wanna spend a few more dollars. Dmitri does the art. There’s 8 of those left. Labyryyynth is a great one too. Sadly most of their catalogue is out of print and, while mostly affordable on Discogs, that doesn’t help the artist and doesn’t fit the nature of your request. Still, check them out. And buy DBX ‘n’ SPF.

Ballz posted:

Oh hey, I was just looking at Chris Schlarb's Bandcamp and it looks like he found a few extra copies of the first Psychic Temple album. This is actually my favorite of the four main PT albums and the packaging is really neat.

Thanks for these!

I ended up getting a little something from everyone's recommendations (including that last copy of DBX 'n' SPF). Also grabbed that new Count Bass D on digital because I know I'll want to play it while driving. For the stuff that was new-to-me, I only listened to a couple samples each to see how I liked it, so when they arrive at the end of July, it's going to be a great time for new music discovery. Thanks again to everyone who suggested something!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I once bought duplicates on the same day. I saw it at a first store, waffled over it and then bought it, then a couple hours later was at another store and bought it again because I misremembered and thought I'd decided not to buy at the first place. My brain is broken. Worked out, though, because the first copy had an issue on the surface that I hadn't noticed, causing a skip during one song, while the second copy was pristine.

Also, my problem is that I'm not good about actually checking discogs for dupes before buying something.

Edit: It was OMD's Junk Culture, and one of these days I'm going to put in effort to try to fix the issue so I can resell it - it's a good album if you're into OMD.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 3, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm phone posting from a parking lot like an unprepared scrub but in regards to Bandcamp no fee stuff, I'm a goon, I have a label, I press records, and you can check it out at wfbr.bandcamp.com. I can write about it at length in the future but that's the quick version. Cheers!

My wallet is angry, but I couldn't help grabbing one from your label as well. Just under the wire! Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I don't think I've ever bought a dupe online because usually stuff I order online is either something specific I've been looking for, a brand new release, or something new to me that I grab due to a heads up from someone (often you guys). But when I'm crate digging, it's easy to see something and think "hey, I'd like this!" then later realize I would and do like it, which is why I already own it. But hey, at least that usually inspires me to listen to something cool that I haven't played in awhile.

I also sometimes feel weird checking my discogs list in a store because I don't want to look like I'm searching online for a better deal or something, but that's my own dumb worry, I think.