Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I'm very new to the LP game. A few months back, I was given a promo copy of a gorgeous picture disc from White Orange.

This necessitated finding a turntable. A nice lady at a flea market had a "brand new" Numark USB turntable to sell me for 40 bucks and she even threw in the only record she had: Another Voyage by the Ramsey Lewis Trio. Said turntable did not work when I first plugged it in, but that turned out to be because the drive belt hadn't even been hooked onto the motor yet. The album is a jazz trio with a tiny smattering of funk.

The next two acquisitions are from eBay auctions. Spirit's The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. This is probably my favorite album from the psychedelic scene.

And Triumvirat's Spartacus. These guys were basically the German version of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. This album blows away Brain Salad Surgery in my books.

This morning was spent combing through shelves in the local Salvation Army thrift store. I found seven titles I liked through the sea of Barry Manilow, Mellisa Manchester, and Julio Iglesias, and for seven dollars, they were mine.

Something that I didn't notice until I got home, unfortunately, was that the Jethro Tull and Return to Forever discs are both warped. I'm trying to weigh them down with a stack of books to see if that will help to straighten them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have no idea who this group is, but that is a cool disc.
I probably should have posted a link along with the pictures. They have both sides of the LP on their Bandcamp site, though it is really a single edit on the other side. Last I saw, Relapse has it in their webstore for 12 bucks.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I managed to find a sealed copy of The Who's Tommy in a thrift store this weekend.

This is a Decca pressing (DXSW 7205). I'm not sure if it's really worth anything, as there are a couple of breaks in the shrinkwrap and scuffs to the jacket where it's exposed, but I snagged it anyways since it's guaranteed to be unplayed. Should I put this aside and find one from ebay to listen to?

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

A buddy of mine was getting rid of some vinyl and asked me if I wanted some old Yes and Zappa stuff. He comes by and gives me a gigantic 90-pound tub with over a hundred records in it. Some of them are in pretty good shape but some show obvious signs of being through a hurricane or two. I have a record cleaning kit that will be getting a lot of use as I go through these, but flipping through a few I have seen some nasty poo poo on the inside of the paper sleeves.

What would be recommended for replacement inner sleeves? This looks to be well reviewed but seems a bit on the pricy side.