Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

alg posted:

I would imagine this would only work on Baby Boomers who don't know how to use iTunes. If I have an album that isn't available digitally I just digitize it myself, it's really easy.

I'm kind of interested to hear what people use in this regard. I'm thinking of getting into some record collecting since there's a few good used stores near me and I'd like to just start grabbing old eclectic stuff for cheap and giving it a spin. But I'd also like to digitize the stuff I like to have on my Ipod for when I travel (and to keep original records safe).

So a couple questions for anyone that digitizes:

1) thoughts on turntable -> preamp -> sound card versus just getting a USB turntable? I don't currently have anything so I'm leaning toward just going USB unless there's a general consensus that they are crap compared to a standard one.

2) Software? It sounds a little tedious to rip all as one file in something like Audacity and then manually edit it down to tracks. I see there's some software out there that claims to have track detection but I don't know if it's any good. There's also this Dak all-in-one type system with software out there, but the site looks fairly amateurish so I don't know if it's to be trusted.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU