Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my dad was getting rid of an old set of Sony stereo equipment and tower speakers, so I bought an entry level record player (AP60) and am very very very much enjoying listening to music in this format. I forgot the fun of buying an album.

My question is, is it usual for the arm to need to move around a lot during play? It's constantly moving side to side a bit and up and down to adjust for slight warps in the records - even the new ones I've bought.

my burgeoning collection:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I actually recieved two copies of that Kanye album from Amazon and the same LP number varied in weight by up to 30 grams. poo poo is hosed. it was enough of a difference that I only weighed them to confirm my suspicions.

edit: the sound quality is notably different from lp to lp too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new presets album arrived from au and it's beautiful

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, I found a "deal" on amazon for 70 bucks CDN but it was still a lot a lot. I will say, the album is great and the packaging is amazing, all the printing and images are super crisp and high res and pretty. I'm not salty about the price it's so nice.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wish the presets would have reasonable prices for their stuff but at least I finally have all 4 albums for the low price of 300 dollars canadian (50, 80, 70, 100). thank heavens they only have 4 albums or I'd be broke.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
btw beams and apocalypso are a limited edition that seem to be sold out a few places already so buy buy buy!!!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got my Southernplayalistic and Isley Brothers LPs yesterday from VMP.

I'd somehow never really noticed the staticy beat on Ain't No Thing but it stands out like day on the vinyl and it's really kind of obnoxious, I hope I forget about it by next listen.

Isley Brothers LP sounds insanely good, one of the best sounding LPs I have for sure, that bass POPS dang.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up Left and Leaving by the Weakerthans and it's got a cool bison etching instead of a side D. I've never seen that before. neat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
heres what I use, its nice but im running out of space

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I started buying records 2 years ago only but I inherited maybe ~30 good ones from my parents. I've spent a disgusting amount of money in 2 years, but I don't mind because I didn't really pay for music for like 15 years so I'm happy to finally give some money to these artists I've loved for so long.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
TMV has not been reissued to my knowledge, they, Cake, and Frank Ocean are some of the hardest to find vinyls for stuff made in the last 15 years.

does anyone have UFOF by Big Thief on vinyl? the last track keeps repeating at the very very end, just kind of an ambient loop. the autostop doesn't work. is this intentional?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There have been rumours of Cake vinyl rereleases this year and I waaaaaant theeeemmmmm

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that usage of the s plural is correct, as it is groups of vinyl. fight me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have two copies of MBDTF by Kanye and I can only assemble one sort of ok sounding set out of the six LPs total. the weight of the vinyl is dramatically different comparing the same LP from each set, like ~20g difference. WTF is going on here?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Everyone complains about that set. I guess it was just terrible quality control.

That's what I've seen but most comments seem to be in regard to the mastering or sound quality. How on earth do you get the weight of the vinyl to be off by like a full fifth? Did they literally just scoop out wax by hand? Very curious if anyone with manufacturing knowledge has any idea how the heck this could happen.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm realizing that midsize indie artists seem to be the ones to make sure you get on release. zero 7, mountain goats, au revoir simone, etc

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
welp bought a fluance rt84. should be a lil upgrade over my at60?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

welp bought a fluance rt84. should be a lil upgrade over my at60?

aw heck and the day after the rt85 comes back in stock. the only difference between the two is an acryllic platter, does that really do poo poo or is it audiophile nonsense?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my fluance rt84 arrived yesterday!

and this is going to apparently sound BETTER in 30 hours of play?

gently caress I'm in love

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
VMP's next 3 essentials albums are The Soft Bulletin, Songs for the Deaf, and Aretha's I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You

that is pretty fuckin cool

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else thinking of getting that Beatles singles set? Usually a 7" box set is a definite no-go, but new mono masters + the international art + only like ~9 CDN per vinyl makes it tempting.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cemetry Gator posted:

Unless you're a big Beatles fan and your want something as a physical piece, this set doesn't really hold much value. As CP said, you can get Mono Masters. Hell, the mono boxset is an even better way to go since you also get all of their albums except for Abby Road and Let It Be, which you can easily pick up.

But I wouldn't but that set for the music, which sounds like an odd thing to say.

yeah maybe I'll just get mono masters, tough call though as it really is a nice looking box, and 23 discs for 250 canadian really isn't THAT bad.

I would love to have the mono boxset, but have you seen how much it's going for? I bought copies of revolver and rubber soul separately but it's just those and mono masters still in print for mono vinyl.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
actually rubber soul and revolver now appear to be out of print also and are going for 100 bucks plus each on amazon. jeez. why does this need to be so difficult? let me see if I can find mono masters for less than 90 canadian...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mobb Deep The Infamous pressing at VMP just went up, seems like it's gonna sell out within an hour or so probably, if anyone is interested.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
$2500 and it includes a fuckin preamp? lmao

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seriously poo poo looks like its made by Tonka

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
alphabetical, chronological by artist, and there are exceptions to alphabetical (ie john samson solo goes with weakerthans, trent reznor and atticus ross soundtracks go with nin, however thom yorke does not go with radiohead)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fiona Apple Tidal at VMP - get it quick it'll go fast

https://app.vinylmeplease.com/products/folk-singer-songwriter/fiona-full

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 8, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you can spend a bit more I can't recommend the Fluance rt84 enough. it should really cost 2x what it does, it's a fantastic turntable. if you think you'll ever want to upgrade again just get this one now because it's such great value for money, and it's a small step up vs the 120 so you'll be stuck looking at the 700+ turntables for a 'worthwhile' upgrade

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pwn posted:

The Fluance series prioritizes style, so you’re paying a fashion tax. If you have a bit of extra money, put it towards a good cart, because that’s the thing that touches your records and turns the squiggly groove into music

it comes with a an ortofon blue though, which is more than half the cost of the turntable itself

edit: yeah, so the AT120 is 249 (on sale for 225), and comes with a mediocre cartridge, if you wanted to upgrade to a ortofon blue it would cost 282 - $507 total on sale.

The Fluance RT84 comes with that cartridge and is $450 - cart cost of 282 excluded that's an insane $168 for the turntable itself. So you'd think they'd cheap out but it also comes with a 10 year warranty, superior aesthetics, and feature superiority (the computerized speed adjustment is a really good addition). It's overall just a better built product as well, or at least it feels like it when you compare them in person.

I don't see the Fluance as prioritizing style at all, they're actually providing a really good looking product that provides the best bang for the buck sound around. The step up from 250-450 with the at120-rt84 is gigantic, and that 200 will be a lot harder to swallow down the line if you paid for the at120 first.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dang, When the Pawn... and With Teeth announced on the same day, a good day.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
beautiful dark twisted has literally only Monster on one side. it's also the worst pressed album I have. gently caress that thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how loud do you guys listen to music? My system goes up to 10 but at 4 stuff starts shaking so I rarely go above 2. I want to go to 10 so so badly :(

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else have the Once Upon A Time In America soundtrack? does Hush sound like it's being played over an AM radio for everyone? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

also agreed the new Beck is good. except for the last track which grates on my nerves in a weird way. rest is great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
super long shot but if anyone has any Ugly Duckling releases on wax I would like to buy them from you.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have the opposite problem, I keep getting records from Amazon in a large rectangular box that contains air paks and a standard cardboard LP box thing with the tear off strip. It`s a lot of paper.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
do you guys ever look at your record collection and wonder which records sitting next to each other would be friends, and which would be enemies? please post them .

these guys don't like each other very much:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
aaaaaaaaahhhhhh I found a guy to sell me Moving at Breakneck Speed by Ugly Duckling. I'm so so so excited. messaged all 150 people that own it on discogs. gently caress yeah!!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
VMP says 85÷ of outstanding orders have shipped and that seems like complete BS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think you can really go wrong with an Ortofon red or blue.