Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm new to vinyl. I feel like I've done a decent amount of research and am looking to put together this system. Any glaring issues here?

I'm mainly concerned about accidentally getting incompatible gear. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Turntable - Marantz TT-15S1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI2I76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pre-amp - Pro-Ject Audiophile Tube Box S2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HT31P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Receiver - Cambridge Audio CXA81
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TFK6ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speakers - Klipsch RP-8000F (Pair)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0844N9SRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Haha - you guys are hilarious. I said I’m new to vinyl, not new to quality electronics.

As for bi-amping I’ve come across talk of that in my reading and noticed it’s possible with these speakers. Wasn’t sure I’d go for that right out the gate tho - overkill to consider and all, amirite?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Mystery Steve posted:

Jokes aside if you've the money go for it. If it were me though, I'd buy a setup at a qtr of the price and spend the rest on records.

Thanks for the honest response. I’m fine with the price I paid tho.

I still might go the bi-amping route eventually but at the moment my main concern is just in making sure all components are going to play well with each other.

Also hoping one of my components doesn’t hafta be cobbled together with chicken wire and the bones of a dangerous predator I hunted myself to be accepted around here by the majority, judging by the other responses so far, lol.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Mystery Steve posted:

Sorry misread that you'd already bought your gear, I cant see you having any issues tbh. Yeah I'd definitely bi amp your speakers, it's more cable but there is an improved sound difference, on a good system it wont be night and day, however you'll have better control over the output.

No worries - yeah, still just waiting for a component or two to arrive. I’ll definitely look into the bi-amping once I get the basic setup down!

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Oh hey, insanely overpriced audiophile snake oil! What better time to share one of my favorite episodes of The F Plus:

https://thefpl.us/episode/138

One of the posts they read is someone asking how to upgrade his ears to improve their sound quality. He's not kidding.

More than happy to chime in here since I’m apparently the fun topic for the week so far and have managed to ruffle some feathers, lol.

I’ll say there’s definitely a cutoff point when things become “snake-oil” if by that you mean (total hucksters aside) the vast majority of consumers will not be able to truly appreciate the minuscule upgrades in quality they’ll be awarded from spending umpteen number of dollars to achieve.

To further elaborate on my own personal situation I have a history, most of my life, building my own desktop PCs from individual components for high end gaming. I’ve also built a number of high-end HD TV setups as well. The only thing that’s really escaped me is strict audio-only setups, thus my bowing of the head to those in this thread I felt best to offer sole advice. This was the respect I gave. It was cautionary and I’m sure I would have been fine figuring it out on my own without “taking the risk”.

With that said I don’t believe the price limit I’ve set for myself is anywhere within the “snake-oil” territory as previously mentioned. I agree as well 13-grand cartridges (as I understand the technology so far) sounds like a ridiculous luxury and borderline dubious on their worth for someone that even has that kinda cash to throw at it. I don’t think that’s a smart purchase - even as the pariah I seem to have swiftly become, just asking for basic compatibility advice from the community.

What I more have taken issue with is the seemingly prevalent “purity tests” that appear to be part of the usual posters I’ve experienced so far here. I don’t believe that you need to “rough it” with my aforementioned ‘chicken-wire and bones’ contraption for a year or so before you’re allowed to purchase something better you can already afford to begin with in order to fully appreciate the hobby.

My hope was that I could offer my setup choices to honest debate and critic and after I get things up and running maybe just talk about enjoying music and helping everyone else enjoy music that is into this sort of thing in the first place? I’m wondering if that’s too much to ask with the “hipster-style” hospitality I’ve received so far in wanting to become a contributor to the community...

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Photex posted:

To be fair your original post came off a little disingenuous as if you were asking for advice on what to buy only to post two posts later saying you already bought it.

It came off as a douchy look at what I can afford flex.

Edit: re-reading all your posts here besides the one talking about biamping you actually come off insufferable

What? I was simply asking whether those components would work together without issue. Knowing the first thing people tend to bitch about on any of these subforums is not providing links when asking for advice, I provided them. That’s not a “flex”.

If some seem to be offended by what I can afford for a beginner setup that sounds like it’s more their hangup than mine? Why should that be disqualifying for my question?

How much of this is other poster’s insecurities and projection? Who are all of you that I’d honestly need to “brag” to? Seriously? I don’t know anyone. You could be the Queen of England for all I know. Communities exist to support each other. I just really don’t understand where all the animosity is coming from...

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Christ, you're like every person who fails to read the room who posts on these forums. You make an rear end of yourself, repeat some phrase that nobody else uses, and then try to get pity because people on the internet laughed at you.

When I read your initial post, it felt a lot like bragging. Look at me, dropping 5k on a bunch of hifi audio components. I mean, if you need to push some serious sound, sure, spending more money is going to be valuable. But for the most part, you can get by with mid-level equipment. Also, coming in here asking for our thoughts on something you just bought is worthless. There's nothing we can tell you. And by asking if gear was incompatible with each other, that tells me you didn't do your research. Who the gently caress drops 5k on something without doing a little bit of research?

So, here's my effort post - return most of that poo poo and get your money back. Buy a turntable for about $200-300. It will probably have a built in pre-amp. If you decide you want to go the pre-amp route, most of them allow you to turn the pre-amp off. Buy a half-way decent set of bookshelf speakers. You can spend about $100 on that, maybe $300. If you're really dedicated to floor-standing speakers, you might have to spend a bit more - maybe $300-400.

Here's the thing - you're new. You're like the guy who bought the most expensive guitar. You're not even sure if this is something you're going to keep on doing. And honestly, what's the most important part of a guitar? The loving songs you play on it. It's the same thing. The most important part of your audio setup is the music you loving play on it.

Doing what you did is a great way to end up with a 5k conversation piece that just comes off as insufferable.

Read the room. Do you see us talking about super expensive setups? No.

Yeah... I think I get it now. Sorry for not reading years of backposts. And most of all sorry for harshing your buzz guys. I’ll see myself out.

Enjoy the tunes.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

SeXReX posted:

You just don't get the right resonance from a stylus made of anything but chicken bone

Before I duck out entirely I just wanted to say this comment was ‘ace’ and made me laugh. 👍🏻

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

pwn posted:

Quoting all these for when he inevitably ragequits and edits all them out

Please, go for it. Put it in the .txt if you want. I’ve got nothing to be ashamed about here. It’ll be the biggest impact I’ve ever had on these dead gay forums, lol.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

This is why I love SA. Have never laughed so hard at my own expense.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

I'm not going to rake anyone through the coals for spending thousands of dollars in audio equipment, but I will now look at my entire lame set-up which I stole from either family or co-workers and sigh to myself sadly.

Look, the only reason I’m responding again when I planned on just ducking out is I hate to see this.

The last thing I want to do is make anyone ashamed of their own setup, but I also don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to ostracize those simply because they have a more expensive setup.

If “reading the room” means you’re “not allowed to play with us” if your system is worth over $x dollars I really wonder if this is a healthy community to begin with.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

dorium posted:

Hey I have a question about my setup.

This is obviously missing the tonewood risers, I dunno what you were thinking.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Ballz posted:

So um, does anyone have recommendations for a halfway decent pre-amp that is NOT stupidly expensive? Preferably one that my AT-LP 120 can rest snugly on top of.

Have you not read the room? You’re not allowed a separate pre-amp unless you wanna be dragged through the mud for being too bourgeois.

To not totally poo poo up this post I’d recommend just searching YouTube for it. There are folks there that will recommend some decent pre-amps if you’re on a budget.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

I’m here to entertain apparently so let’s live the role.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I welcome you to post here. Talk about records. Tell us what kind of music you like. But do you really not understand why everyone started poking fun at you?

I can certainly understand why *some* people would "poke fun". If there's a thread just for gear I must have missed it. I looked, but I suppose not hard enough. Sorry for that.

As for records/music, I've actually inherited a few hundred records from my grandfather. I've yet to go through them all so there could be anything in there but I know he liked a lot of old jazz, stuff like Sinatra and famous people singing Christmas music, lol. So likely a decent amount of that stuff in there.

As far as myself, I like things across most genres (Probably Rock, Alternative and Electronica/Techno the most). I wouldn't mind exploring stuff like jazz, blues and classical more deeply. My interest to get started was in collecting more specialized stuff tho that I never imagined would make it onto a record (your video game soundtracks, anime and the like.) Partly for the art and nostalgia but there is some neat stuff to listen to out there.

For my first pickups (still waiting for them to arrive) I have MOTHER 1/2, The Hollow Knight stuff, and that Snake Rattle & Roll and Chip Tanaka LPs I saw someone post last page back. Haven't seen much on the anime side of things that interests me yet except I grabbed both FLCL albums and pre-ordered Cowboy Bebop.

I'm noticing a lot of great stuff out there and it all seems to sell out super fast. Kinda bummed that I didn't get started sooner. How often do they re-press things in general for this limited run stuff?

Majin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks for the link - it wasn’t my intention to brag. Apologies.