Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Thanks Panic Records!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
That Boyd Rice picdisc is sick. Make an SA Mart thread if you're feeling spicy. A lot of us, including myself, have very similar interests. I'd love to see the pv, crust, and nyc stuff you have kicking around.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Get a shoebox for 7"s and build a shelf or get those 5 dollar record boxes and use dividers or something.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

So today I finally got my copy of RVIVR's debut LP. It's printed on one of those covers that just folds over the record, as apposed to a sleeve (ala some 7 inch covers). I opened the cover, and on the inside is the front and back covers of Modest Mouse's The Fruit That Ate Itself. I guess they just reused old covers they had lying around and printed their stuff on the inside. I would post pics but I don't have plat, so I hope that made some sort of sense.

Extremely common in the diy (pop)punk/hxc/skramz community. Saves a lot of money and it goes without saying but: diy or die.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Got a big Ol box of 90s hardcore 7"s from a coworker for $20. I'm pretty sure it was all the poo poo he couldn't make a profit on on eBay, since that's pretty much his second source of income, but there's some cool poo poo mixed with all the no name screamo bandstand garage pink. Highlights include some Policy of 3, Iconoclast, Inkwell, and a Man is the Bastard split. Plus some band I've never heard of that sounds like Mineral but slightly more subdued.

I'm down to trade since I knowna few of y'all are into that kind of thing. I'll post my discogs when I get em all in there.

Here's a link to where 7"s start on my duscogs. Because I am stupid I cant figure out how to show y'all jut what I'm trying to get rid of, so you'll just have to look past all the $.50 singles and find something piques your interest. Email me at hitlersmotorcycle at gmail dot com

I'd take a lot of it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ron Burgundy posted:

A Little step up to just under a hundred will get you an Ortofon 2M Red, Which I haven't used personally. Can anyone comment on these?

Great cart for the money and nobody seems to use them which is hilarious. Pick one up because IMO that Shure one was very disappointing. v:shobon:v

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

HKR posted:

I have an Ortofon 2M Red on a Project Debut III. For $100 it's a great cart for listening. If you're doing archival work look elsewhere as there can be some distortion towards the middle-end of the record.

I will say this though, if I were going to be buying a cart for the Debut III again, I wouldn't go with the red because it requires a new (Heavier) counterweight for the Debut III. It's so heavy that the counterweight has to sit at the very end of the tone arm to get it properly balanced and is a bitch to adjust (Constantly slipping off).

You've set something up wrong because I have this exact same setup and do not have this problem. I have the heavier counterweight and I haven't had to adjust it in over a year and it never moves at all. If you have everything the way it should be, you shouldn't need to fiddle with your counterweight frequently at all. Also the 'distortion' at the end of the record you may be hearing is the hum of the Debut III's motor which is clearly audible through any quiet part. I used some memory foam under where the transport screws go in on the motor to dampen it a bit. It barely helped though.

There's a few threads on some other forums here and there about the d3's motor. Everyone hates it. I would go as far as recommending that this be mentioned in the OP where it suggests the d3.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 25, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The Pro-Ject motor hum is a very common fault with many of their turntables (my old Pro-Ject Xperience exhibited it as well) which share the same motor mounting assembly. The hum is caused by the vibration of the motor travelling through that lovely rubber band support directly into the plinth. Essentially, it's just a really badly thought out isolation system (seriously, did they even test it?). Fortunately, some enterprising person (not me) came up with a fix, an 'official' version of which is now also available from Pro-Ject (they have also modified the mounting system on the new Debut).

More details on this VinylEngine thread here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39274

And here is the page with details of the original fix:

http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html

I can't verify the fix, as my Xperience has long gone, just putting the info out there in case it's of use to anyone :)

Haha the picture in the long report/testing page of the motor with the bluetack under it is basically exactly what I did. The rest of that is really interesting and I'll probably get that kit if I get all uppity about the noise again.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Also MASON I still have those rexx and if you want them you can paypal me at the address you emailed me at with your home address and i can send them ut if you want them (sorry I've been too lazy the past week or two)

Cool thanks, brother.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Most if not all records have something etched around the label. I always thought it was so it can be identified by cat number if the label is destroyed.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Seeing the album as the primary format for music is extremely off-base and not to mention rockist.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 4, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's absurd to assume that level of depth for every artist that releases music on albums. Holding the album format in high regard just means you like to have all the songs on one thing at once instead of spread over singles. Holding the "concept album" format in high regard lines up more with what you've described. You like albums that come together to form a whole and tell a story where the tracks link together and the artist spent hours assembling the tracklist. That's great, but that's not what an album is or should be required to be.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 4, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's like everyone just ignored these two posts just to go on a rant about track listings. Listen to these people.

That's not relevant to what's being discussed. :confused:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Yeah this kind of stuff is happening everywhere. Plan 9, which has been operating for the past 30 years, filed for bankruptcy recently and I'm sure it's safe to assume that they will be closing up shop sometime in the near future.

I remember when they came over to Roanoke and took over all the old Record Exchanges and then those all closed too. We have one (1) 50-person capacity used record consignment shop left.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
The ones they opened here had really awful selections, and you can't build a good selection of used items when nobody brings anything in to begin with. The used section looked like a Goodwill box. This honestly just isn't the place for a store like that and someone should have warned them. Even the store I previously mentioned is struggling and only survives because she does semi-legal in-store shows on weekends.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Locked grooves are more common in noise and experimental electronics. I would even say very common. I have a lot of records with lock grooves. Here is one that is entirely lock grooves.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

i am a bee posted:

Do the record stores you guys visit normally let you see the records first or is that an assholish thing to ask? I'm shifting to mainly buying new/reissues, but I've bought a couple of things pre-owned (Echoes by the Rapture, Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo and Purple Rain) that have a couple of minor skips I can live with but I'd rather not have every used record I buy be a compromise. Is that just the nature of the game? The guy at the store is nice and gives discount, but I've been a little unlucky.

Do you have anything to clean records or have you already tried cleaning them?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's just a fun thing to do and a fun hobby. Just like model trains or building ships in a bottle.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

Was it Magic Bullet Records or something? I have a Majority Rule repress from them.
Probably Robotic Empire.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

Yes. It turned out to be a huge waste of money.

Come on dude really? It took two seconds to wiki this.

A popular misconception about "Blue Monday" holds that the single's die-cut sleeve, created by Factory designer Peter Saville, cost so much to produce that Factory Records actually lost money on each copy sold. It is unlikely that Factory Records could have sustained the losses implied, and the sleeve was soon changed to a similar non-die-cut design that would cost no more than a regular sleeve.[6] It is, however, probably true that New Order saw little profit from the single's success, since an investment in the Haçienda nightclub swallowed much of the money they made from their hit.[7]

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

Hopefully that will bring down the price of originals. Normally I'm not so ridiculous about having an original but that album is one of my all time favorites.

Don't get your hopes up for this. Reissues rarely drive down the price of originals in the collector's market.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 4, 2012

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I feel bad anyone who even thought twice about buying something on that list. RSD is disgusting.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Trust me I know.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

cosmicjim posted:

This is going to be choppy. I'm going to write a bunch of choppy sentences and you can build whatever mental picture from it you want.
I don't think all of these people are the same. I collect records and retro video games. These aside from soccer are my things I do. I have 1000-1500 records at the moment. I managed to make myself dump off over 500 I knew I would never listen to. I love finding a good deal. If I see a record worth 15$+ for 5$- I'm going to pick it up. I can afford to do this. Some people waste money on food/beer/movies/vacation/prostitutes/car payments, I spend all of my extra money on records and video games.
I'm a collector by nature. As a kid until now I've always been a collector of something: action figures, comic books, baseball cards, oddly shaped pieces of limestone I'd find in my driveway.
I have studio discographies of almost every major classic rock star/band. I have a complete licensed nintendo set(I paid $1800 for one game.) All of this money I'm spending on records and video games are assets to me. Maybe I can't make all of my money back, but I feel I can make 70% of it back if I had to.

That being said, I'm not speculative. I don't overpay on new things, like the Jack White balloon record. Those people I can only assume, are hard core Jack White collectors, determined to have everything he releases, or have plenty of money and this just means a few less rounds of golf, or a shorter island vacation at most. If you are someone collects every Jack White release, and a handful of these are recovered, these opening weeks might be your best shot at getting them. You will probably be able to get them cheaper later, but is it worth the risk if you can afford it?

These sad people with binders, why are they sad? Because they dedicate more money to the hobby than you? Because they are serious collectors? Are coin collectors sad? Are antique collectors sad?

Some are smug they have huge collections. Some people are smug they have small collections of obscure poo poo. Some people are smug they have 1000$ turntable set ups in their 400 sq ft apartments. I don't want to vilify any type of collector, just because they have different kinds of collections or spending habits.
I'm not really down with collector hate.

This response wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just really a counterpoint, for those that don't really understand large scale or expensive collecting.
This is the only post on this subject that hasn't been completely insufferable. Thanks for being cool.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

That money could have fed the homeless.
Whoa...

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
does anyone know any decent shops in the greater atlanta area? i guess like a 40 or 50 mile radius? i'm stuck here in suwanee on business and would like to check some shops out but nothing looks quite worth the drive into atlanta proper.

a decent amount of punx/hardcore is a plus but i'm spoiled by an exclusively punx shop nearby me at home so it's whatever. just wanna kill time in the afternoon flipping around mostly.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2012

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Don't worry. In 6 months either they'll have sold their turntable and given up

-or-

they'll eventually realize that they have a crate of useless pointless "haha so weird" records that are taking the space of other things they could have engaged with on a level beyond "hehe this is so crazy *slides back into box*" and they'll end up right back in the bargain bin or the goodwill.

CYOA

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

Every record that's shelved or traded goes through the VPI and I rub the jacket with a crystal to normalize the vibe field. Record bagged behind the jacket because I'm not a loving barbarian.
ive toyed with the idea of buying a vpi but never had the guts because i have a decent hand-wash thing going with a broken table.

if yr not ready for the vpi plunge there are some DIY options but what I did was just get a table that's busted but still spins, put the record on, put a lil bit of plastic wrap over the label, carefully brush fluid thru it thoroughly, sometimes i do a pass with clean water after if it looks like it needs it otherwise just air-dry in a dishrack or something else. just be cool with the label if you don't want to mess it up. be careful of drips. i don't have to clean anything very often outside of the ol anti-static brush-down so it serves the purpose. it's a lot of work though.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2012

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Haha, yeah bro- you totally pegged me and the 700+ records that I own! :thumbsup:

It's cool tho, once I get tired of amassing Boy George albums I'll just pawn my turntable and start collecting Juggalo velvet art instead. Blacklight velvet art.

Then I'll simply crush up the LPs, make a cocoon out of them and my own saliva, and emerge as the avatar of tacky Jesus during next year's Gathering.

code:
          ______
          |     |
          | you |------
          |_____|     |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      |
                  ____/
____________     /               /`----------------->
|           |    |               |
| the point |    \_______________/
|___________|

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
nobody is buying that to improve the listening experience

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
people already obsess over dave matthews records

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
there is a lot more useful information and discussion on vintage receivers as well as turntables and full setups in this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44

usually best to check there rather than here

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

Yo, lemme holla at that 50 pound box of trash.

hahahahahaha

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I've been on the hunt for a couple classic Punk and Ska releases for awhile now and I'm proud to be able to post three new additions!

The Specials - S/T ('79)

Picked this up for a song down at the local record shop. So stoked to finally have it.

Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk To gently caress 12" (UK Cherry Red, '81)

I've basically been hunting this down for the total rager of a B-side. Also one of my favorite runout etchings ever: (A) What a sucker you must be... (B) If you bought this record twice. Sorry for the weird photo. I was eating dinner and didn't want to wait to post!

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia 12" (UK Cherry Red, '80)

This came with its other Cherry Red counterpart. Nothing special or interesting here just HiC and Police Truck (Great track!). Thrilled to take it on top of the others.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

het posted:

Haha, let's be honest, you'll find another way to spend it on records ;)
Yeah inception 2 is right around the corner.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

How hard is it/how long does it take to perform the 'manual speed change' from 33 -> 45 or vice-versa on those Carbons?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II

I bought one of these and never looked back. I listen to punk and hardcore almost exclusively which means I'm constantly changing speeds. It also will regulate it to 33/45 so no more "Hmm is this playing just slightly too fast?" kind of poo poo. I got really really loving tired of lifting the platter off and changing the belt.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
and so the cycle of this thread continues. Check Out My (Colored) Records -> What's A Good Turntable? -> Who Is Buying _____ from _____? -> Is _____ A Good Online Retailer? -> gently caress RECORD STORE DAY -> Repeat

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
buncha bullshit

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that expedit was not assembled correctly. i have two and they hold plenty of weight including every record i own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Two of my favorites:

Pyramids - Following the Tracks, Forcing Motion Through Phases

Awesome sky blue swirl pressing on paramnesia.

Pity Sex - Dark World

Driving pop-punk/emo with hot pink vein swirl on Run For Cover.