Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
Insound is giving free shipping for any US order over $100. Might be good to catch up with some new releases...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

If you find a cheap one, let me know... I've been watching on Discogs for almost a year and hardly see any under $100.

I think it's a prime candidate for a reissue if Pulp continues touring.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Surfingelectrode posted:

The problem about Music on Vinyl is that since they're based in the Netherlands, everything they release is very expensive to import. Their releases are normally like $40-50 for single LPs.

Still, that Pulp album never goes for under $100 on Discogs/eBay. So I look at it as a 50% discount!

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

I have a copy of "In The Grace Of Your Love", the new LP on white vinyl by The Rapture to give away to a fine goon, courtesy of my employer, DFA Records! Email me at kris at dfarecords dot com. US people only, sorry!

EDIT: It's gone. surfingelectrode is the lucky jerk. congrats!

Mr. Stepmom fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Losing My Edge is awaiting a restock from our distributor. Should be a week or so.

I don't think the MSG Show will come to vinyl, at least not in its full form. James has been mixing and mastering the audio for some sort of release, though. We'll see!

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Here's the discogs entry - http://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Love-For-Sale/master/39418

(it's probably not worth $30)

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

dflanny posted:

Just wait at least a year for any poo poo you want, once the feeding frenzy is over. I remember this was hot poo poo on RSD a few years ago, now look at it.

Jesus, 2500 copies? I guess you make up in volume discount, but... 7" are pretty much entirely a waste of time to print.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Could be a case of not being sure how many pieces they will be allotted for their direct sales. Labels sometimes barely handle the records they release, and only get 100 copies or so - the rest have already been pre-sold via their distributor/etc.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

You'd think, but the record industry is hilariously disorganized with some absolutely dreadful communication and a lot of links in the chain that can break and cause delays, etc. Especially in this case, where there's multiple labels, printers, etc involved.

I work at a pretty established label, and even we have tremendous trouble getting our poo poo in on time, or even getting enough stock to fufill our teeny webstore business. And as edition sizes continue to shrink, it's something that one must really take care with. I mean, my experience leads me to guess that they will likely press less than 2-3k copies of the Themes From An Imaginary Film record total across all labels, which is probably pretty close to the number of people who will actually buy it.

On the other hand, if it becomes a runaway success, the metal parts are always there to stamp out a few more if it's worth it. The sad truth is that 6 months after a record comes out, it's almost impossible to move copies at full retail, either from the label or secondary market -- that's why everything is 'limited' now. It's either 'sell now or sell never'.

Uh, excuse the derail?

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

I was unaware that the previous reissues were so expensive on the secondary market. Is it totally immoral to flip them while they still have value and buy the new reissues in a couple of months? :)

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Most big distros in the US take returns, it's on a case-by-case basis. You get a more expensive unit cost if you want the option to return unsold stock.

One of the biggest issues with Record Store Day is that most of the sales are non-returnable. Good for scummy labels putting out Clash 7" that no one wants, bad for stores that get stuck with total garbage.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

cheapandugly posted:

Attention Throbbing Gristle fans.... http://greedbag.com/mailout/~throbbinggristlestore016/

There are only going to be 500 copies.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Bliggers- posted:

I feel so dirty buying records from Urban Outfitters or Hot Topic, they have got to be as bad as buying your stuff at walmart in terms of how much of your dollar makes it back to the artist. Hell I don't even shop at HMV because I try to buy everything direct from the band/label or an independent store.

But half price deals change everything.

Literally the same amount, probably. I mean the label/band might make a bit more off of a direct sale depending on the deal with their distributor, but every record store buys the same records at the same price and the same profit margin as any other store, and the artist gets paid the same amount regardless. Which isn't much.

Urban Outfitters is actually great for labels because they buy a large quantity outright to justify the different colored pressing. Most other stores buy records and if it doesn't sell they have a window where they can return it, which is really irritating.

Mr. Stepmom fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 26, 2012

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

midge posted:

Why does this happen with every loving boxset?

Box Sets have like 10x the amount of things that can go wrong in manufacturing. They also cost more to ship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

Me in Reverse posted:

What's the loving point of preordering something from the record label when it doesn't even ship until 2 days after release and won't get here for another week??

gently caress you, Anti-.

Supporting the label? They probably can't afford have a dedicated mailorder staff, or may have not even gotten their copies until that date, depending on their distributor.