Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I got bit by the vinyl bug a couple months ago after rediscovering my dad's turntable. I've been hitting up local stores, and already had two close shop for good.

Everything but John Henry & Random Access Memories cost less than $5. I can't find a copy of The Buggles' Age of Plastic to save my life, yet stumble into their second album.

Also, are all of Hollywood Records' Queen reissues crap? News of the World sounded pretty flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Picked up some more stuff today; probably my last trip for a while.

Buggles - The Age Of Plastic
Yelle - Complètement Fou
Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People
Guardians of the Galaxy Deluxe OST
Daft Punk - Discovery
The The - Soul Mining

David Bowie - Pin Ups
Jun Fukamachi - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Queen - Queen II
The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock & Roll

I happened upon this for $10. It's a nice cover of some of Sgt. Peppers on piano with a touch of synth on some tracks. A quick glance says that it's rare. Anyone know anything else about it?

I'm also looking for a copy of Yelle's Safari Disco Club. So far, I can only find it overseas. Does anyone know what the going rate on shipping is from France to the US?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Some new arrivals:

David Bowie - The Next Day
David Bowie Narrates Peter and the Wolf LE
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Mark Ronson & The Business International - Record Collection
David Byrne - Sounds From True Stories
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
DEVO - Duty For The Future
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings & Food

The disc has gold flecks in the vinyl as well as some black spots throughout.

#584/2500

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
One of my local stores (Time Traveler Records in Cuyahoga Falls, OH) is closing its doors due to being evicted for not paying several months' rent. Everything but new releases are 40% off.

I wound up with a few things that I only got BECAUSE they were on sale, but found a few gems as well:

They Might Be Giants - Flood (RSD)
David Bowie - Nothin' But A Star
Blondie - The Hunter
The Big Lebowski (RSD)
Wham! - Fantastic
Rolling Stones - Undercover
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
Limahl - Don't Suppose
The Mamas & The Papas - Farewell To The First Golden Era

My copy of Lebowski is mispressed. The first two tracks on side A have a swath where it looks double-pressed, resulting in nasty static. It's listenable, but annoying.

Flood is a beautiful transparent green that looks better in person.

Nothin' But A Star is a limited (1000 copies) French bootleg of an '83 concert in Frankfurt. I can't wait to listen to it.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Mailbag!

Daft Punk - Alive Boxset
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Yelle - Safari Disco Club
Transformers: The Movie Soundtrack

I missed the boat on the clear blue version of TF:TM, but I don't care, I love that album in all it's butt-rock glory.

Safari Disco Club was a pain in the butt to get, having two sellers flake out on me. I finally found a copy via a third-party seller on Amazon.uk. Now to find a reasonably-priced copy of Pop-Up:retrogames:

Some glamour-shots of Alive:

It's a little hard to make out in the picture, but the encore disc is single-sided with an etching of Alive 2007's art on the back.

VVVV Haha, actually I'm just pinching the edge of the disc. Trust me, I want that set to sound its best for as long as possible. VVV

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 17, 2015

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I made an impulse trip to my usual record store and found a copy of Rolling Stones - Black and Blue for $5. The sleeve was a little beat up, but what surprised me was what was inside:

I remember my Dad's copy was just regular black. Is this some kind of Limited Edition or something?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Black Sabas posted:

Got an extra download code in mine I thought I'd share-I think the album is Room(but maybe not)

I grabbed this code. Thank you!

Does anyone have any suggestions on storing 45s? Mine are currently in a shoebox and I was hoping someone would have some good case recommendations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I ended up with a warped album from that Don Giovanni Kickstarter, and they were kind enough to replace it, so now I have an extra download code.

Screaming Females - Castle Talk

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Ballz posted:

I have no idea what this is, but it looks pretty, at the very least. :shobon:

In other news, I won the Bjork sweepstakes (thanks again, Mulva). And now some lucky goon will win a free download:

Looks like I'm the lucky goon. Thank you!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I only have a handful of game soundtracks (Mother 1 & 2, Hotline Miami 1 & 2, and Undertale). Hotline Miamis were just because I love the music. Mother 1 & 2 were because I've loved the games since I was a kid & Mother-related merchandise is rare stateside. Also 1's soundtrack isn't bleepy bloops (bar one track), but instrumental & vocalized versions of the game's songs. Undertale is all bleeps and I just bought it because I really like the game, and it's just a gimmicky thing to own.

I'm not going to begrudge people for what they buy, though I do think it's silly to buy an album and not actually listen to it. I feel the same way about people that buy toys without opening them. Open that poo poo and put it to use!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

stay depressed posted:

it's extremely funny to see all of you try to clown on this guy

I feel that I can't judge him until I know his position on video game soundtracks.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

sporklift posted:

I wanna see this.

put both hands in posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

Also I remember reading somewhere that black vinyl has an oil in it that helps with tracking or durability that colored does not. I know that I can't tell a difference in quality when the needle hits the colored portion on a black/red split album I have.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Hot take: a record store I frequent recently got two of those shelves in, and they seem pretty sturdy. I personally wouldn't use them because I like just finding the spine and grabbing the record but whatever. I'm just happy that I found some Herbie Hancock in one of them.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
^^^
Nice find on the Pere Ubu. Dub Housing is great.

Stopped at a yard sale today on a whim and came away with this for $50:

Weird Al in 3-D & Polka Party, Eno's Discrete Music, and Iggy Pop & David Bowie concert bootlegs

:stare: Holy poo poo

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Ugh, that's dumb. I wonder if they'd stop stop sales on promo & demo discs too.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
More haul images. Spent a few days in Niagara Falls, ON and hit up a store in St. Catherine's and stopped at Revolver Records in Buffalo, NY on the way back.

Johnny Cash- At Folsom Prison (Reissue)
Parliament- Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome (Reissue)
The Clash- The Clash (Reissue
The Art of Noise- In Visible Silence
2001: A Space Odyssey Soundtrack
Gorillaz- Demon Days (Vinyl Me Please)
Trio- Trio (US EP)
Kid Creole & The Coconuts- I, Too, Have Seen The Woods
Angel Olsen- Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Feist- The Reminder
Can- Ege Bamyasi (Reissue)

I didn't feel great with the price on Demon Days ($100), especially for something so new, but it beats the price of the original and its one of my favorite albums. I now fully expect a wide reissue to be announced any moment now.

Someone posted a code for the Angel Olsen album some time ago & I used it and like the album, so here's a new code:

I also had some luck at a flea market today:

Brian Eno, Dieter Moebius, Hans-Joachim Roedelius- After The Heat
David Bowie- The Bowie Wonder (Santa Monica '72 bootleg)
Brian Eno- Another Green World
Michael Jackson- Dangerous
Peter Gabriel- Plays Live
Duran Duran- The Reflex 12"
Terence Trent Darby- Wishing Well
Pet Shop Boys- It's A Sin
Dexys Midnight Runners- Come On Eileen

Another Green World is in pristine shape & I'm now up to three Bowie concert boots. This one even included a weird fan-lithograph:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless you’re actively looking forward to the work, isn’t it just easier to find someone whose already done it all already?

Yes, but not everything is available digitally. I've downloaded the majority of my collection, but there's some stuff (mainly different mixes & B-sides on singles) that I've had to rip. I clean up the tracks the best I can in Audacity (Click removal is a godsend, noise removal not so much), and back it up to Google music. The funny thing about Google Music though is that it doesn't always upload YOUR copy of the song, and just checks it against its database and adds their version to your library. This helped me on an album that I couldn't scrub all the pops from, but Google's sounded just fine.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
AND it's only one of the soundtracks. If it was a $250 boxset of the five or six soundtracks that they put out, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Went to a record show today and came away with a decent haul:

David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes (Disco-Remix)
David Bowie - Forever Yours - A bootleg of 1978 concert in Australia
David Bowie - Interview - A radio-interview disc discussing Scary Monsters
George Clinton - R&B Skeletons In The Closet
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Devo - Can U Take It? - Bootleg of live songs & stuff that ended up on Hardcore Devo
Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo - So-Lo
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
Brian Eno - Music For Palaces - Weird 2-disc bootleg. 1st disc is 33 rpm, 2nd is 45. And even though both labels are listed as Eno, the first disc is actually a bootleg Talking Heads concert.
The Fixx - One Thing Leads To Another 12"
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
Thee Headcoats - Heavens To Murgatroyd, Even! - I don't know anything about this band. I bought it solely for the Daniel Clowes art
Method Man - All I Need 12"
Tin Machine - Under The God 12"

Surprisingly, jackets aside, everything was in pristine shape.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Are We Not Men was $35. They also had Smooth Noodle Maps and Total Devo, but I can't bring myself to buy them.

And I've been looking for So-Lo for years. I thought I found it twice before, but it was the Gratitude single (they have the same art but on opposite sides of the jacket). Now I just need the back-half of their albums & Boingo Alive. I'm never going to find them

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I sort mine alphabetically from the last name of the artist. Within that is studio albums by release date, live albums from the concert date, then singles by release, then miscellaneous releases like bootlegs & compilations. Soundtracks have their own cubby.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Mystery Steve posted:

Yeah it's a big mess.

I KNOW what you do.

'cause I do it too

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Hit up four stores starting at 9 today. Got all I wanted (The Fall, Iggy in Paris & the Rundgren singles box), but no Twin Peaks in sight. I got free donuts and surprise free tickets to a concert in Cleveland, so that was cool.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

That kickstarter for those lovely vertical turntables was a big success. The suggested retail on them is $220 and up. The kickstarter price was the low low price of $165 and up. They're also bragging about the Audio Technica stylus you can upgrade to. It's the cheapest one in their line.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fuseaudio/vert-gravity-defying-vertical-vinyl-audio-system-by-fuse

People are suckers. They've already taken in almost triple their goal and there are still more than two weeks left.

It also appears to be a copy of this turntable. The creators said that it's completely different because of 1. wood, 2. an FM radio. Sure.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam’s six(!) OSTs are being reissued to vinyl, and I’m irrationally excited.

I'd love to have these, but at $60+ EACH? Ehhh. It'd probably be cheaper finding the originals even with shipping from Japan.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

LastGoodBoy posted:

Anyone have a copy of Turtle Pleasure?

Yeah. Had to trade my copy of Solomon Gumball for it though.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
After a two-month delay from the original shipping date, this gigantic thing is finally in my hands.

The whole thing weighs a good 15 pounds/3 Garth Brooks sets. All the artwork is fantastic, but the "Vs. Mechagodzilla" is my favorite. All the discs are great looking as well. They absolutely nailed the gold on the "Ghidorah" disc, and the ripples in the vinyl make it look like it's made from Ghidorah.

The sound quality is great too. I've only listened to the original movie's soundtrack and a few random tracks here and there, but everything sounds nice and clear. It was well worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

450 dollar price tag is not a thing of beauty though.

I'd gotten a decent amount of bonuses/please don't quit money from working ridiculous shifts in a pharmacy when COVID vaccinations started (working overtime every shift for three months straight, staff halved due to the virus, and retail customers at their absolute worst), so it was very much a "treat yourself because you're working in a hellscape" kind of thing. Otherwise, yeah, normally way out of my price range.