Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pingiivi posted:

I got the Machinarium and Botanicula soundtracks. They come with art prints and they're pretty neat:

This looks really loving cool. I love that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Boinks posted:

Wildflowers and She's The One are Petty's two greatest and most underrated albums IMO.

I just looked Wildflowers up because it's one of my favorite Petty albums. drat. That $80 I spent on Highway Companion is starting to look like a good deal.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
For the first timers, how does RSD work? Do you have to show up when the doors open to get anything good?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CPL593H posted:

Step one: Look at the list of items and complain.

Step two: Go to the store to buy a bunch of it anyway and complain.

Step three: Mention which items you weren't able to get and complain.

Step four: Look on ebay at the inflated prices of the items you wanted and complain.

Step five: Mention how you're never doing it again and complain.

Step six: Wait until next year to complain again.

This sounds tailor-made for me.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Considering they're selling a Nick Cave vinyl figure on the RSD website, I'm surprised there's no Nick Cave on that list.

That being said, the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack is kind of interesting - it's one of my favorite soundtracks, although I'm not sure I'd actually listen to it enough to warrant what I'm sure will be a premium pricetag.

I'd totally buy one of the Bowie Man Who Sold The World 12"'s though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CPL593H posted:

Why not just buy the readily available Man Who $old the World reissue that just dropped and is probably half the price and also doesn't sound like a picture disc?

I ... didn't know it existed. Thank you.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Holy poo poo Butt Trumpet. That takes me back to the early 90s.

Flannel.

Seattle.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I just discovered an amazing used record store a mile from my house. They have an enormous selection of old vinyl, and I'm planning on going in and exploring this weekend sometime.

Any tips for looking at old vinyl? I really have no idea what to look for apart from "don't buy a visibly scratched record."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I got an email from Mondo about Castlevania and got excited that the Symphony of the Night soundtrack was coming on vinyl, but no, it's just some stupid poster.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

snakeandbake posted:

which one of you is this

all of us

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
No line 15 minutes after my local shop opened, but his last copy of The Man Who Sold the World was being purchased when I walked in. I wanted to support him anyway, so I caved in like a huge nerd and bought the Star Wars picture disc even though I have the whole soundtrack on preorder.

Then I found a copy of "Collector's Item: Songs from the Taverns of the Pacific Northwest" for 3bux and immediately felt better.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm starting to feel like a collector - and I get to combine my vinyl hobby with my love of space.

It's still in the shrinkwrap!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

uncle spero posted:

Just don't be the collector who refuses to open that.

Nope, I'm going to open it tonight and listen to it while I paint. :jeb:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

stay depressed posted:

i have a purple rain 7" sfor sale for 700 dollars pm

i've got a NM copy of we can't dance, would you consider a trade?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SimplyCosmic posted:

I just started with vinyl recently and, yeah, I love that I've been able to add a few artifacts from the space race to my burgeoning collection.

Go! - Colonel Glenn In Orbit (1962) - It's fascinating to me that for the longest time, the only way people had a way to experience a documentary at home was purely audio via vinyl. Someone uploaded the record here

This led me to start checking out the "spoken word" section of any record store for other time capsules like the John F Kennedy Memorial Album and recordings from the Civil Rights movement.

If you love space history, I definitely recommend looking for Time Life Records To the Moon (1969). Best $10 I ever spent at the local used music store.

The beautiful box set contains 6 LP vinyl records and a book full of vivid color photos detailing the race to the Moon from the early days of rocketry through NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Apollo program. This thing is incredibly detailed in its history, starting from the very beginnings of the rocket science, with 10 years of research according to the

According to the original advertisement in the 1969 LIFE magazine, it was available for for $19.99 (2016 equivalent: $128.89) via mail order.

Woah, yeah, that's awesome. I had no idea these kinds of records existed until I saw one on display at the Museum of Flight here in Seattle, so I started poking around to see what else is out there, which is how I found that album.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and it's a pretty great blend of narration and actual radio signals from the Apollo craft. It's not quite like being there, it's definitely like listening to a documentary, but it's still really rad.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shillary posted:

Stones and/or Pink Floyd too.

Nickelback

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It was ALMOST worth $1.99, but then I realized I'd rather jam a screwdriver into my eye.

Also, gently caress Half Price Books for having 3 new copies of RSD Man Who Sold The World for $30 a pop.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
gently caress, instabuy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jehde posted:

I remember growing up with the original release of the OST quite fondly, but I only recently realized it's actually two disc 1s instead of a 1 and 2. :saddowns: So yeah instabuy for me too.

It looks like all three scores from the original trilogy are being released on gold vinyl, which is cool because I skipped the 6-movie boxed set, and RotJ is kind of hard to find. The other two aren't listed on Amazon but Barnes and Noble has them for preorder for $31 and $25 respectively, which isn't terrible.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Hastings is having a 30% off on "select vinyl" sale - there's some decent stuff included, but it's hard to search for anything specific on their site, so be prepared to browse through pages and pages. It looks like a lot of their colored vinyl exclusives are included if anyone's in to that. You still have to enter "STILLSPINNING" when you check out though.

Unrelated: I've got a baby coming in a month, and my coworkers bought me the Disney Crosley turntable for the kid's room. I assume it'll be fine for playing kids sing-along records I picked up used.

It's literally babby's first turntable.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

taqueso posted:

My sister and I had a great time destroying all my parents' records and needles. I'm sure your kid will love doing the same in 4-5 years. Scraaatch!

I had a Fisher Price turntable when I was a tot plus my own "collection" of records I was allowed to play, and not allowed within several feet of my dad's turntable and record collection. So I only destroyed my own stuff. I'm hoping to replicate that experience!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My life is now complete. I have an album with a holographic Millennium Falcon.

And just to prove that I actually have real taste in music:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's a handful of records on Amazon's Prime Day deals (you have to search for "vinyl"). The only one that interested me was the Red/Blue Matrix Score, which is down to $20.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Motherfuck. Mondo is releasing a Castlevania soundtrack at San Diego Comic Con. It's one of the few video game soundtracks I'd ever bother with, and I haven't been to SDCC since 2005.

Is anyone here going and would they mind picking one up? Or, is there a reliable way to grab a SDCC exclusive that isn't some price gouger on Discogs?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
WHAT A HORRIBLE DAY TO HAVE A VINYL HABIT

But what's this on the back??

Symphony of the Night soundtrack?? :getin:

Also, these fuckers are basically going to rob me this week too:

Twin Peaks Original Score

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

703 posted:

Ooh la la, want Dracula's Curse and Simon's Quest.

The map artwork on that on you got is pretty awesome:

Yeah, the map art is part of what convinced me to get that album. The only one I don't care about in that series is Super Castlevania IV but I might as well get the entire set, right?

Also, I'd give an internal organ or two to get goat's unchosen paths (Dracula's Curse done in a hard rock style) on vinyl. But it's a fan-made release so that'll happen about never.

Giga Gaia posted:

Is this the same as the existing 90s release? Except cheaper? Which is surprising for a Mondo release...

It looks like it. TP is my favorite Lynch / Badalamenti score so that's an instabuy even before the awesome art design and gimmicky color vinyl.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is that music from the original Rez or some new game?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You can get a digital version but no vinyl announced yet AFAIK.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Has anyone ever done / would recommend a vinyl club like Vinyl Me, Please? I want to get a gift for a coworker who recently got into vinyl and thought something like this might be cool. She already has most of what she "wants."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BigFactory posted:

That's a pretty expensive gift for a coworker. Has she talked to HR about you yet?

They haven't called me in yet so probably not! (She's very sick and this is a group gift).

quote:

That way she'll get two packages of completely random garbage per month.

Kinda what I figured, thanks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sporklift posted:

Going up to Seattle soon. Staying around the Pike Market area I guess.

Apparently there's a place in the Market itself that has a really good selection of old stuff, but I haven't been there and have no idea if it's as overpriced as everything else in that area. It's in the basement (I think) so if you're in the market anyway and aren't leaving that area, that's pretty much your only choice.

However a short Uber ride away in Capitol Hill (which is where most of the good restaurants and bars are) you could easily make an afternoon of browsing, there's a few stores rift within a few blocks of each other. It's been a while since I've been there myself but I've heard great stuff about Zions Gate. Wall of Sound is more local / obscure poo poo. Everyday Music is alright too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Toe Rag posted:

Maybe check out Bop Street in Ballard as well

If you're going to go that far afield, you might as well go to Easy Street in West Seattle.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shut up and take my money

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Spaceships can use copies of Whipped Cream as heat shields I guess.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Selling some of my records on Discogs. Not a ton up there now, but I'll be uploading more throughout the weekend.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/ahamel7896/profile

Dat AoD soundtrack

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I didn't think I was going to end up with a copy of this, but I did!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh neat, Discogs now shows me a "collection value range," so I see in black and white about how much I've pissed away on this hobby.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Blind buy for me as people seem to think a big deal of it, and shipping rate to the US was really reasonable. Looking forward to checking out the MP3 now.

Yeah I grabbed a copy of it based on the description alone and its reputation, and squeaked into the colored version. :getin:

Edit I didn't create an account when I checked out and I don't see any way to access the MP3 version. Am I missing something?

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 6, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ballz posted:

Black Friday RSD list is out.

At first glance, seems to be another meh release. Highlight for me is Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics on vinyl.

How's this work? Just go shopping at a record store on Black Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

hatelull posted:

Pretty much. As long as the store is participating, it works just like the other RSD that happens in April.

Ugh I hate Black Friday with a passion but I might actually go out for this.

There's a couple of decent blues albums on there, particularly that Muddy Waters one. And I can grab Sesame Street for the kiddo.

And gently caress you if you don't get Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas. :canada: