Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I'm at my parents house this week visiting and I ended up helping my mom sort through a bunch of old boxes of records from the family. Mostly garbage 78s, falling apart and scratched to crap. The only thing I might take for myself is a semi decent quality Hank Williams 45, but I did find a few curious things I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any opinions.
First off I found a cool old Edison disc, no label just etched. Totally scratched to hell, but not like I have a needle to play this old beast with anyways. Two Larks(Th. Leschentizky) b/w Prelude&Butterfly(Andre Benoist).

And then a bunch of old school jingles. These I have no idea about, they all have very short play time and look like they would play fine. 3 from Rockhill Recording in NYC, and one b&c recording.
10" 78rpm "Facsimile of 1-minute Lincoln-Mercury commercial on WCBS, New York"
12" 78rpm "Weather Jingles with 7 cuts for Snow/Rain/Fair/Cloudy/Cold/Heat"
12" 33rpm(shellac) " Budweiser Box Score"
10" 78rpm(b&c label) "Football Jingles 3 cuts" (there is WCBS 7/9/53 scratched out on the bottom of the label)

Unfortunately my parents TT is busted, so I can't listen to any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Basically all my records are still in storage, so the last while I've been avoiding buying records unless they cost less than a dollar. Albeit I've still managed to find some stuff that tickles my fancy. I think all these cost me less than 2 bucks. I know I have a reissued copy of Songs of Innocence with the original trippy artwork cover somewhere in storage I'll have to fish out now.

My only new vinyl fix has been my Volcom Vinyl Club which I've subscribed to a few times and always been pleased with, so far got a great Melvins 7" split and the new release is Kurt Vile 7" split with Wino.
I wish SubPop would get back on the singles club, I got the 2008 series back in the day and it was tons of fun.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I just fell on a big collection of 45s from my girlfriends mom's friend. She was moving out of her house and we were taking some shelves down for ourselves when I saw a few thrashed Beach Boys albums and I asked if she had any phonograph equipment. She told she had gotten rid of most of her albums and record player but then came out with a massive box of 45s she had collected.
An impressive collection of a couple hundred records in about 8 of those 45 boxes from 65-69 completely labeled with her name and labeled sleeves with sometimes handwritten notes about date of purchase. Although it's not all in great condition, one or two of the boxes are still in good condition, she was the original owner of all the records and surprisingly most of the best stuff is just a little dusty.
I love 45s but my collection is mostly 70s and even a lot of disposable 80s stuff. This is a great Mono/Stereo collection of all kinds of stuff from the sixties.

The stuff beside the record player is a little bit of my old 45 collection, I had a box with the same box design as a bunch from the score.

Some of the picture sleeves, Al Wilson- The Snake on Soul City, Otis Redding on Stax/Volt

That picture of Brian Jones on the Let's Spend the Night Together sleeve is priceless. He is definitely my favorite member of that band, and although some of the later albums were a little lacking they had a ton of great singles of the decades they have been together.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I got a new 7" from VEVC, I think my last from the 2012 subscription and I just renewed for 2013. I've been doing it for a few years now and have a large pile of them that are all coloured mostly hand numbered out of 200,500 or 1000. First stuff was mostly metal but lately they've been branching out a bit, last couple were Afrofunk split CSC FUNK BAND / GRANT PHABAO and Nu Sensae/Useless Eaters.
White Vinyl
Probably the lowest number of any of the releases I've got which is cool.
https://store.volcoment.com/vevc/
I don't have ALL of these ones, I missed out on the first 6 and would love to find a copy of the Tweak Bird/Red Fang release

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Today was the first day I really went record shopping in a long time, a couple friends invited me out to a few stores this afternoon and I decided to end a fairly long drought of not buying new vinyl from a record store. It was cool seeing people out and I heard of crazy lines in the morning but nothing was jam packed and everything was friendly, seemed like lots of people who'd never even been a legit record store based on a bit of chatter.
I wasn't really looking for any RSD stuff except this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-W6apUk5rU Which I knew I wouldn't get and didn't but I was stoked on the Calexico w/ orchestra RSD I nabbed and complemented it with the Giant Sand record. nostalgia/ultra is a bootleg as they said it was shipped to them under Billy Ocean, it's clear vinyl and came without an inner sleeve. All in all 8 albums, 11 records, 4 with colour

Edit:drat, listening to records and watching basketball playoffs is hard to do at the same time

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 21, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I loving hate singles and yet I keep buying all these Xiu Xiu ones.

Support your favorite artists, kids. Even if listening to them will be a hassle.
What happened to the audiophilia that used to be associated with records, let's get some old people who support the good old days where things were smaller but weighed more, span faster, sounded better and needed changing more often. Q:Are We Not Men? A:We Are Babies

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Piccadilly Records just put up a bunch of RSD stuff too. I got the Sebastien Tellier 7" I really wanted, I'm really quite surprised actually, but YAY. Also picked up Caribou-Milk Of Human Kindness RSD LP and John Talabot-FIN because I felt the need to buy more.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I've never seen a copy of this in person, so I'm super stoked. One of my favorite albums.

I picked this up on cassette at a thrift store a while back having never heard it before, it's pretty cool. I'm a Phil Lynott fan but had never heard The Spirit of Man before which blew my mind a bit. Glad to hear you picked up one of your favorites.
I've managed to gather a few Best Coast singles and I think they are cool and all but keeping with the trades motif I thought I'd mention I've got the new RSD single(2000 pressed) and the 2010 infinicat/volcom Jeff the Brotherhood single (24/1000) on clear pink. I'm not really looking for cash and shipping would be to/from Canada if anyone is interested.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

What's the record? It's the same Island imprint that's on all my early Free records. I got them all from a collection in pretty good condition my friend was trying to get rid of, it was all from some guy who had written BART on all his records&sleeves. Thanks again BART, I listened to the hell out of Fire and Water and the rest of the stuff I nabbed off ya, dude had pretty decent taste and kept his stuff in alright shape although some of the covers were thrashed.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

CBC archives
I'm pretty close to ya in Edmonton and I know the Goodwill by my house has french archives collection with the same coding system as in your photos. I looked through a bunch and was really happy with some Jean Michel Jarre produced electronic stuff but I'm not sure if it had been picked over as it's been there for a while now. I'm wondering if someone made off with a huge load of Serge Gainsbourg or George Brassens

I'm in Calgary and visited Sloth Records and was happy to find Soulsavers - Tough Guys Don't Dance put out on their own label. Cheapest listed on discogs is $60 from Europe and I grabbed it locally for $20. Now if only I could find some of the Mark Lanegan stuff they did without paying hundreds of dollars...
Also grabbed the new Nick Cave album Push The Sky Away which is great and included a bonus 7", I'm really digging side AA Lightning Bolts

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
If it's anything like any of the radio stations I've done work at all the good records were probably stolen from the collection long ago before it even got dumped at Goodwill.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

izationalizer posted:

This story always saddens me, because I'm guessing that Death aren't particularly wealthy, and they could have used the cash.
Story isn't over yet, I saw these dudes play less than a month ago and they have a great fill in for the guitarist that passed away and said they are planning to make new music. The show was great, although they didn't have any merch they hung out after the show, signed copies of the local alternative weekly which had the album cover as the front page cover story and chatted with all the local punks. I missed the screening of the documentary although I heard it was great. Good to see people are picking up the album.

Edit: Thought this thread could use some country music.

The Haunted House sounds are NM :toot: and the Grevious Angel LP is a Reprise original and in really great shape but the jacket looks like it was run over by a truck.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 16, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Cloks posted:

I'm headed to Toronto in the future.

I'm actually heading there next week, I don't have much experience with the city but don't miss Kops. Canadian pressings are generally of very good quality but other than that I'd search hard into your favorite Canadian bands or favorite bands you might not know are Canadian. Pick up one LP by the Sadies, they have collaborated on albums with Jon Langford, John Doe and Andre Williams and are basically the modern day version of The Band. Enjoy enjoy our country, it's a pretty beautiful place.

Harvest is one of those great albums that when you don't have on hand you can always just pick up for nothing and this particular one was of good enough condition to make me check it against the one I have in storage. Those are all Canadian pressings.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 16, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

whooping crane posted:

So I just bought Suicide - Suicide (limited edition) with a Cheree remix on side A and Frankie Teardrop , Che, and Keep Your Dreams on side B (that last one was weird to see, as was the remix). If anyone else has this copy of this Suicide record, are you experiencing problems playing Ghost Rider? On my copy, Ghost Rider (first track) keeps on skipping and then playing the same loops as if it's stuck in the groove, but every other track plays perfectly. What's the dealio? Is this a bad record, or is it just my record? Nothing is warped or scratched or smudged.

I have a copy of this record, but I'm confused as to the editions. I got the one with the bonus flexi with the live recording "23 Minutes in Bruxelles", where they basically get booed off stage. I'm traveling right now so I don't have the copy on hand, but don't remember anything messed up with any of the tracks.

On the signed records tip, I recently got Flying Lotus to sign a copy of his new LP after seeing him play in Oakland. Dude is totally legit and just hung out and signed poo poo for fans for a few hours after the show.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

trdn89 posted:

And +1 on Channel Orange; I can't believe it's not out yet.
You could always just get the bootleg :P I got nostalgia/ultra and it came on clear vinyl and sounded pretty good, although there are some weird surface noise/scratches on the mixtape that is kind of a mindfuck on the pressing.

I just got back from traveling and I mailed myself some poo poo from Montreal and Toronto so I wouldn't have to carry it around with me the whole trip.

Hit up Rotate This in Toronto

Some fun singles from Kopps(toronto)

Saw these artists at Mutek(montreal)

Atom Heart records in Montreal had a little Mutek booth, the guy was really sweet and I ended up checking it out before leaving town. Super rad place, ended up leaving pretty happy with everything I got.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Me in Reverse posted:

What would you dudes pay for this, in perfect working order?

Would you be willing to part with the picture sleeve 45 of Take My Breath Away by Berlin? That's some classic Moroder

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 2, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I would describe the new Baptists LP on Southern Lord as heavy and violent, definitely going to pick up the 7" too
The plastic bag it came with was like an oversized suit

Also picked up Bionic - Black Blood

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 3, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Went to an awesome Run the Jewels show and picked up the LP put out by Fools Gold. Super stoked to have these 3 records in my collection next to each other.

R.A.P Music and Run the Jewels are both coloured vinyl 2LP with one LP being instrumentals which is really awesome.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

The soundtrack to Shaft. Can you dig it?

I can definitely dig it, Hot Buttered Soul and Black Moses would definitely be two of my favourites, even Disco Connection would be a good choice.
Just got a new needle for my gfs turntable that I pulled out of the basement and got running and she has a big Baizley tattoo on her leg, so hopefully more of this

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Been picking up a few new records since the new year started, still waiting for my first record purchase of 214 to arrive, a copy of The Range - Nonfiction from Donkey Pitch.
Got these all locally

Bunch of Kieran Hebdens stuff, 2 Four tet albums and 2 Fridge albums.

Was really stoked to find the Perry Leopold album, love this record and wasn't aware of any repressing.
The Osibisa record was from a unsorted collection that came from a local DJ, also grabbed a bunch of cool Stonesthrow singles, a D'Angelo DJ sampler, and a signed Peanut Butter Wolf EP all for a couple bucks each.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

midge posted:

splitting a 10 song album over 4 sides, a trend I loving hate. Then I realized that it runs at 45rpm
I actually like it when records are put into 2LPs at 45rpm. Mostly electronic records with 2 or 3 songs per side. The two I can think of off the top of my head are Caribou-Swim and Atoms for Peace - Amok
I'm all about thinking that things that spin faster sound better.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I have one of those things too and it's really cool for holding a decent amount of records. I had my TT on top initially but found it was impossible to open or close the drawer without causing vibration that would skip the record, especially once the drawer is filled with heavy records.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
This is for all my bros in the thread who spin fast and bang hard.

Out of all of them I grabbed a pic of this one, 1963 sine wave pop

Picked this up recently, one hell of a live record

12" singles are used for deep grooves and larger groove spacing to enhance sound quality. Pretty sure this is why Hip-Hop singles on 7" are not common

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Coloured vinyl is 100% virgin vinyl which some people claim as inferior to a product with some recycled vinyl component., Depends on the country of pressing for how much is going to be recycled material on a standard black copy(~30%), but Jamaica is notorious for horrible pressings because they don't even remove the labels when recycling, so it's recycled with extra junk. It's kind of the culture to melt down singles from last week to press new ones for next week, which despite the quality suffering I think is pretty cool.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

beergod posted:

If I wanted to get into Jamaican pressings of Jamaican music where would be a good place to start? Sounds pretty cool.
Specific pressings can be very rare, but random Jamaican pressings are not uncommon if you're looking for them. A local record store in my city that deals in mostly second hand stuff has crates of them on the floor under one of their displays, I've looked through them but they are mostly ~$40 and I just don't really know the stuff well enough to dive into it.
However, when speaking of Jamaican music I'm always looking for artwork by Wilfred Limonious who has done tons and tons(RIP Prince Jazzbo) of amazing reggae and dancehall art. Usually can snag these ones for around :10bux: and I'm always pretty stoked on the music too.

Some recent pick ups

And picked this one up too, one of my musical highlights of 2013 was seeing Mark Lanegan play in Golden Gate Park.

(Dark pictures for dark music)
The owner of the record store told me I couldn't sell it on ebay or he'd kick my rear end since he was selling it for $60.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

caiman posted:

G+ condition.

Unfortunately in the crazy world of record collecting Good+ does not really mean that good and condition is everything in terms of value. A G+ record will be suitable "play" copy to listen and enjoy, shouldn't have major skips but probably lots of surface noise. Unless it's a record you might never see again or just a cheap copy to add to your collection, I'd avoid paying too much for any G+ record. Generally a G+ copy would hold 10% of the value of a NM copy.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Long time since I posted in this thread, not much to post from here on complaints about record prices/gouging or soundtracks but thanks for the heads up on the Danger release. Saw that guy a few years ago in Paris at the Social Club and he went on with his funny mask at 4am and I met some awesome Parisian kids who were all stoked because he never plays, I didn't even know his old EPs were ever pressed.
As far as favourite soundtracks mine would probably be Jack Nitzche- One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and I don't even own a copy of it. 'Round Midnight is also an awesome film with an awesome soundtrack where most of the musicians are actually in the film. Same with Krush Groove, which I regularly spin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HM5vIEur8 Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter killin' it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGCxuESM-c Beastie Boys not killin' it(RIP MCA)
I'm also a big fan of Giorgio Moroder and his film scores, Midnight Express is great won him an academy award while Cat People flopped as a film but has a good David Bowie single. Found the LP in a thrift store a while back and just recently found the 45 single for a buck at the local record sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4
I'll try to contribute some more recent buys/RSD/cheap scores to keep the positive attitude flowing. I never thought I'd really say this but here's a picture of an awesome picture disc I picked up. Thurston Moore-Trees Outside the Academy

(I also eventually cleaned up that giant pile of records)

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

het posted:

post about some loving records. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone done by this childish passive aggressive poo poo.

:hfive:

RSD 2014
L->R
Taang! box set
Songs Ohia box set(the wooden 45 adapter is super sicko)RIP Jason Molina
Afghan Whigs-Gentlemen(non RSD)
Leaders of the New School- Future Without a Past...(non RSD)
Joy Division RSD
Build to Spill RSD
Outkast RSD
Notorious B.I.G RSD
The Field RSD
Sebastian Tellier RSD
Screaming Trees RSD
Can(non RSD)

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What's in the Taang! box set? Does it include Sold Out by Gang Green because I would love to own a copy of that loving record
It's the first ten Taang! singles, with original picture sleeves, book with recording/pressing info and a CD.There are a few Gang Green singles, Sold Out b/w Terrorizer is Taang! #1 and orginials go for what I paid for the boxset and I was laughing at someones listing on discogs of an original VG+ sleeve and insert for $50.

Action Serious posted:

Does this skip like loving crazy for you as well? I'm going to email the label this afternoon and complain.
I think they just crammed the two hour album onto 3 LPs, I noticed the runout lock groove on side C is literally the last second of the song with no dead space betweeen so it just repeats. I haven't noticed crazy skipping on my copy, I'd suggest a head shell weight and see if that helps.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
He's some CanCon(Candian Content) I recently picked up. Also grabbed Ladyhawk- No Can Do at a show I went to recently.

Shrink Dust comes with a small comic(Frizz Bizz Volume One) filled Chad's drawings of Frizbee catches.
The Pink Mountaintops LP is really good, I keep playing Shakedown and it was a surprise for me to hear J Mascis' guitar all over this record. I had no idea him and Steve McBean were working together, but the pairing seems natural.

I was playing the Belly soundtrack today and have a hard time getting over that they didn't put Soul II Soul on the record, I mean I put Belly into youtube and this is the first thing that came up and the most memorable scene IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxz9CK-ePZc
I'm usually over it by Windpipe by Wu Tang. It's a great soundtrack overall though, especially if you are a fan of DMX's early soundtrack work and acting.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2014

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Ballz posted:

My mother-in-law was a hoarder collector of many things
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveler
Congrats on the killer family score, nice to see her records have found a good home. I particularly love that Weather Report album, a favourite of mine, and an album I'd probably hold onto until I die too.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I recently started up buying on ebay again, first I wanted just the Disc Tote, couldn't convince the guy to take out the records to make shipping to Canada cheaper but there ended up being a few interesting ones.

This morning I bought a Uni collection, 158 Uni mostly promo 45s. Don't even really have any names or artists just yet but should be interesting. Shipping and import for the whole 158 record collection to Canada is 50 bucks, for the other 5 45s I bought with names(The Dell Kings/The Nice/Kinks/Buffalo Springfield/Crazy Horse) shipping and import is 20 bucks. Hoping to sort something out with the seller.
Here are the most recent 3 records I've picked up locally, hopefully the last before I head to Montreal and check out some stuff there. I guess I'm digging Orange vibes

The new Swans isn't available in Canada on vinyl yet but he had just got Burning World in so I grabbed it(originally released on Uni),Channel Orange is a bootleg but at least now I have both, I just played it once but I wasn't so stoked on how it sounds but it's got one coloured orange record. In den Gärten Pharaos is ridiculously good and a great package, I really wanted a Florian Fricke record and wasn't sure which one, the owner of the shop said this was his favourite so I stopped there.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Snowy posted:

And for variety, Prodigy from Mobb Deep-Young Black Entrepreneurs-Loud 2000

You've been killing the Hip Hop singles lately, that Stetsasonic score was tight and I'm super jealous of this, I bought HNIC on cassette years ago at Ameoba in Berkeley and have loved it ever since. That's a fav track off of that album, would love to hear the instrumental. What's on the flip side?
That blues comp looks really wicked, do you mind me asking what the 12"HotBiscuit underneath yr Costello is? I love those 12" singles.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Last week in Montreal I spent about $30 in taxes in one go at a local Montreal record store. It was the only place I ended up picking any records up and I was hung over but the guy working was at the same festival. He helped me pick out about a dozen releases and made the experience of buying them super easy and quick. Next time I'm going to try to only speak in french. Merci beaucoup Atom Heart, c'est toujours un plaisir!

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Scored a couple of great haircut albums from goodwill for a buck a piece the other day too!

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

TubeStank posted:

If that Gun Club record is even remotely playable that's a hell of a steal.

Thanks, I was stoked to find it. Without a proper cleaning there was a small scratch on the first song of the first side, everything else sounded fine. I've bought a few of the reissues of their albums but didn't have this one, so it was extra sweet finding an original pressing for a buck.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
That's the same receiver my parents have at their house, it's probably been the same place for well over 30 years and still works well. When I'm in town and grab a record from a local shop and play it on their stereo I'm always impressed considering they don't really care about music at all and only have a few John Denver, Eagles and Moody Blues albums.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Chill Callahan posted:

Classic neil collection
That's a super rad collection, I really need a copy of Zuma. If you like Built to Spill and want to get into Neil, Cortez the Killer is a good place to start.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Went to a local record swap yesterday that was held at a pub, took about 20 albums and traded, sold a few jazz/punk records and 2 Eno doubles I had. Didn't pick up very much, a Botch 7" and a few others. Most stoked on the Bside of the Rascals 45 I picked up for a buck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUlHMfOb3cM
fun 1968 blue eyed soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

latest few records, ranging from Icelandic neoclassical to French black metal and French pop to American loud stuffs
Obliterations
Death Grips (bootleg) The runout grooves are pressed into the center label, possibly intentional as Death Grips bonus tracks?
Blut Aus Nord - Necrolord artwork and awesome booklet inside the gatefold
Melvins Ozma/Bullhead repress
Sebastien Tellier remix EP
Olafur Arnolds
Tortoise (Thrill Jockey 006)

E: Also thought this Mr. Oizo vine announcement of his new album on vinyl was pretty great
https://vine.co/v/OI7Y2Zvg5EH

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 4, 2015