Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Moe_Rahn posted:

Now here's the tricky part: where do you put "Paul McCartney and Wings"?

the correct answer is in the Ms, chronologically after McCartney solo

Slight disagree - McCartney side projects get filed under "McCartney" in chronological order, so all the Wings stuff gets sandwiched between Ram and McCartney II, and Thrillington is between Speed of Sound and London Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Turbinosamente posted:

Since Paul McCartney bubbled up in the thread recently I might as well ask in here: if I unironically love Wings - Back to the Egg where should I go next? I also have a copy of At the Speed of Sound but remember nothing about it other than it came with a magazine clipping from the 70s on what the Beatles are doing now, which threw a bunch of shade on Ringo (as per usual) for doing country songs.

Dunno if this helps, but for Wings I'd rank Back to the Egg third after Band On the Run and Speed of Sound.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Mystery Steve posted:

McCartney II for me, it came shortly after the egg album, Temporary Secretary is a banger.

Big yes to both.

Ram, II, and Press to Play are probably my solo favorites. And there’s a song called “Angry” on PtP as a bonus!

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I've been using discogs marketplace with better results than regular vendors. Discogs gives you decent reviews of different pressings etc. as well, so you have a better idea of what you're getting into with a particular release. I started getting back into vinyl a few months ago and I've been burned badly on some purchases - purchases I would not have made if I did my discogs research first. There are a ton of hosed up pressings out there :(

Edit: didn't read original clearly, discogs ain't an auction site although I think you can barter

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone gotten a shipping notification from uDiscover yet?

Ordered 11/4, no shipping notification, 0/3 received

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

IG-88 posted:

What are some good sales going on now? I've got a friend who just ordered her first record player and she's looking for stuff to spin. (udiscover is done right?)

I would wait for black friday or until the next amazon 3 for 2 happens. They seem to happen a lot and have different selections each time

she could also check https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/ periodically

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Anyone get OPN’s new album? The first LP in my two disc set is significantly off center...the needle moves ~1cm laterally with each half rotation, creating an audible pitch shift.

When I did some research about off center records folks claim that whole batches are frequently bad when this happens so a return might not be an option. I could fix by widening the hole and manually centering, but I’d rather not do that.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
record collecting is worth it just to support the artists I care about. it's the main reason I pivoted from getting classic records to contemporary ones. bandcamp fridays were great for that. if that's hoarding, so be it

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

dorium posted:

Yea. What usually ends up happening is when I order stuff from Europe private sellers end up in the Chicago sorting center for awhile because it’s going through customs. If it’s a legit business though it seems like they get fast tracked through.

Yup, I recently ordered some records from a discogs seller in Denmark and the package spent weeks in Chicago before finally being delivered.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

petit choux posted:

I'm having difficulty believing it but the vinyl looks what might be a G+. It sounds to me like Buddah records was an unfortunate part of our history, not sure. There was so much awful music on the radio in those days.

I just ordered this fucker because of the cover alone

The best priced decent copy on discogs was listed by someone who appears to take vinyl grading seriously so I had to look at his store and buy a bunch more records sigh

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

amazing. hope you have some UFO records to play on it

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Nihonniboku posted:

I need to put the brakes on my vinyl collecting. I'm at the point where if I see a record available that I want, I buy it out of fear its going to go out of print, or become hard to get. I don't have that kind of budget to shop like that. I just got like 7 records last week, and I think I have another 6 or so in the mail.

Try to stop looking at things that have new release info - unsub from any label/artist newsletters, discogs notifications, etc. This worked for me when I was getting carried away a couple of years ago.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

The Walrus posted:

first time in a while ive been wowed by a vinyl colour

Wow is right, nice!

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I also found out that after 20+ years of turning up my nose at cassette tapes that they're not bad as long as you're using decent equipment. It's kind of hosed up my whole reality. I initially looked into it because I had a handful of things that were only released on cassette so I dug out my old barely used tape deck and hooked it up to my stereo.

How long was your deck idle? I’ve had mine sitting unused in a basement for at least fifteen years. I’d like to start using it again, but I’m afraid it’ll damage tapes after rusting for awhile. I tend to worry about these things too much - presumably I just need to clean it before use. If a belt rotted while it was in storage it shouldn’t damage anything…

I’ve tried to find new decks, but last I looked there was only one model available which had mixed reviews and was overpriced.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I got Kallax knockoffs from Walmart. My first 16 cube one was fine, although a pain to assemble by myself. I got a second set but haven’t assembled it yet. There are a lot of pissed off recent reviews on Walmart site saying the build quality has gone down and the dimensions are smaller… I’ll see if I can get it together and report back.

These are just for storing records, my turntable etc are elsewhere

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm really surprised at all the Amazon shipping issues people have run into. I've ordered probably 20+ albums from there over the years, and each has come in the typical cardboard record mailer that everyone else uses. Never had a problem with a warped record. Maybe some distribution centers are better than others, or I've just been really lucky.

The last couple have been ok, but my first two came in plastic bags

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

dorium posted:

I used the Squeaky Clean for years. Loved that thing. Didnt and dont regret that purchase one bit, but I also now love my Humminguru.

I don’t have either yet, but I was planning on using a two pass system with the Squeaky Clean first and the Humminguru second on my dirtier vinyls. Is the Humminguru good enough to completely replace the Squeaky Clean even for grungy records?

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't recall paying more than $50 for any single album yet, most I've spent is $150 (or was it $200?) for a Rob Crow box set.

If this is the JNR box set, that’s also my most expensive purchase, and I paid significantly more for it. Got it on discogs in December, each record only played once.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

A Wizard, A True Star is still crammed onto one LP? Sigh

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Vintersorg posted:

Here’s the rest of the haul today.

Jens Lenkman - “Night Falls Over Kortedala”
Marshall Tucker Band - “Carolina Dreams”
Abba - “Voulez-Vous”
Dolly Parton - “Here You Come Again”
The Jam - “The Gift”

Pretty huge store in Regina, SK - Vintage Vinyl & Hemp Emporium. Could have spent way more time digging. Fair prices on everything - original Canadian prints. Some Rush stuff at $75. They had an original Soundgarden “Down on the Upside” from 96 but it was $120 and apparently warped a bit.

Visited another place called X-Ray Records nearby which had a lot of new stuff but was way overpriced. Back home in Winnipeg I go to Into the Music and for the same rerelease of Metallicas “Ride the Lightning” it was $22 at home and $37 at this store in Regina. The owner jacked everything up after I kept digging in the metal section.

Did they have any Streetheart? I’m only half joking

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I keep throwing objects into the giant void in my soul and apparently there's just no bottom.

It’d be a lot worse if we didn’t! Really, for sure!!!

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Is there a vaporwave vinyl ethos where they actually give a poo poo about quality? Finally going through my backlog and got to two vaporwave comps from different labels, both had nice poly sleeves, the vinyl was pristine, zero surface noise.

Just a fluke or is this a vaporwave thing? Most of my “regular” records come with lovely paper sleeves, scuffs and/or paw prints, and sometimes even fucken hair all over the vinyl itself. Lots of issues with surface noise.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Read After Burning posted:

Ooh, which comps? :allears:

https://geometriclullaby.bandcamp.com/album/further-regions-20-years-of-exploration (nmesh)

https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/album/nobody-here-eccos-of-the-past (Purple and Black Swirl)

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I really like the Madcap Laughs. Opel really sounds like a dump of stuff they had laying around somewhere, which is what it is. But at any rate it's mice to know there will be a reissue of some quality, hopefully anyway but Third Man always does reissues with a lot of care. I suspect that they're going to later unbundle them and sell them as non-limited black vinyl discs as has been the case with a lot of Vault "exclusives".

If you like Mort Garson check out Bruce Haack. Shimmy Disc just reissued one of them called Captain Entropy. Haack started out making really unusual children's music often with instruments of his own design and creation before moving towards more adult oriented material in his later career. His album Haackula was basically a middle finger to the music industry after having to deal with years and years of bullshit. It ruffled enough feathers that it remained unreleased for 20 years. It's a very angry album that should have been a classic.

Just listened to Captain Entropy tonight. Great stuff.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Musician Death inflation news: Last week, it was possible to score an original vinyl copy of Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra for less than $30. Now you can't find one under $150.

I hate this hobby.

Just saw one at Argy’s Records in Winnipeg for 20 bucks, NM. I was too busy buying Streetheart and Weakerthans albums instead, because I’m in Winnipeg…

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Read After Burning posted:

My dad-in-law wrinkled his nose at me when I said "Eminence Front" is my favorite The Who song.

...How controversial of an opinion is this? :ohdear: My second favorite is Baba O'Reilly, as both are tied to nostalgic media for me: GTA San Andreas for EF and the Bugs Life trailer for BOR. I was super young for the latter, god I feel old! :bahgawd:

Eminence Front has always been my favorite, probably because I was a kid when it came out and it got played a lot. All the earlier stuff I was a toddler or didn’t exist

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I never liked Jimmy Buffet but a trip to the Caribbean made me hate the fucker. Inescapable.

I’m sure he’s great if you’re an alcoholic boomer tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I found the BDP album on Darkside Records, they seem to have a decent selection