Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

The standard black vinyl edition can be found domestically for 34.99 and free shipping here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/john-carpenter-they-live-soundtrack-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

The colored vinyl edition is limited to 300. The black is limited to 1000.

I need this, despite already owning this:

:c00l: It's such a good soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Got my Sears order too! It had a gash in the packaging, so I was worried, but the actual records were immaculate. So impressed with this!

And the Nilsson tribute (which is great, btw, and features his daughter on one of the songs) is yellow! A great surprise:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I'm currently selling a turntable on Craigslist and just had someone interested in buying it. I googled him to make sure he's not a serial killer, but it turns out he has reddit posts that are sexist and derogatory. Should I sell it to him or should i string him along to show him I don't approve of his behavior.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

pwn posted:

Just sell it to him or don’t, honestly. Also googling someone on cl is kinda creepy, go meet and buy or sell the item and move on with your life

Hm, interesting perspective, but i think I’ll go to his house and kick him in the dick.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

caligulamprey posted:

Schnitzel’s teasing a reissue of Ween’s Chocolate and Cheese. :rock:

nice, i was listening to The Mollusk last night and the Plain Recordings reissue was not great, but also not as bad as Discogs says it is.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
When I first started collecting back in 2006-2007 i would get a lot of records from thrift shops and, being small and stupid, bought a lot of dumb records that i never listened to. Getting rid of those around 2012 was like lifting a weight off my shoulders. Now i try to just buy what i want, but i still sometimes get dumb things when they’re on super sale.

The one dumb thrift store thing that “sticks” in my mind is Styx’s Paradise Theater with their name etched into the vinyl. I thought it was so cool but never liked styx and never listened to it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I was surprised by the number of colored releases of Bebop, but ended up buying the black release. Great sounding release and the pressing is very good and clean.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Another thing to keep in mind with pops and clicks is that they can be caused by static build up, which can happen with repeated playing. The dust brushes are supposed to help get rid of static (and they make the zerostat guns if you have $), but i actually got the Hudson Hifi anti static arm brush here that ties directly into the system’s ground wire. It has worked surprisingly well so far for me and the records I’ve played sound quite a bit “cleaner” (less pops and ticks). Still recommend using a brush to get rid of bigger debris, but this is a nice add on for a reasonable price.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

marjorie posted:

And if so, this thing is a dream to mitigate it. Onzow stylus cleaner

I don’t recommend getting the cheaper versions of this. I have the $20 one and it is no longer sticky, even after washing it off. The real one is supposed to be better.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
A DIY solution for cleaning a stylus is a cut down Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Dip the stylus into it dry and it’ll pick up any dust and dirt, including small stuff. It’s what i use since the onzow knockoff wasn’t worth it. Just don’t be too aggressive or you can knock the tip off the stylus.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

hot chip's coming on strong is getting its first repress in a decade. it currently sells for like a hundred bucks on discogs, so i should be excited and grabbing it, as a huge fan of the band...

...except it's a loving $32 single LP and i feel like i should really put my foot down on price inflation :argh: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/hot-chip/coming-on-strong

Yeah, i got an ad for Studio Ghibli soundtracks on vinyl and they were like $70 for a 2xlp. Who is paying that!?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

caligulamprey posted:

For some reason it went from being in every dollar bin to not being able to find copies in the last five years, so if you were looking for one, Laurie Anderson's Big Science is getting a repress from Nonsuch.

No more free signed prints, though. :smith:

Weird, it added the print to my cart when i checked out. I love this album and it was one of my first records, so I’m happy to have another copy.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Just got mine today too! Very nice clean pressing.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Read After Burning posted:

Please be kind to a dumb beginner: does region matter for vinyl like it does for video games or movies, or am I safe to import away?

A quick Google says the answer is "no", but I figured I'd ask the experts.

I tried to play a Japanese disc the other day and couldn’t understand a word :-/ you’ve been warned

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

dantheman650 posted:

I have a brand new Uturn Orbit Plus with a Ortofon OM5E cartridge. It must be clean because I've only played about 6 records on it, and all of them were new and shrinkwrapped.

I got this kit from a few pages ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I started with just the nylon brush, but that didn't even come close to removing all the dust, so I used the velvet brush with the wet spray. I guess that helped a little but not enough.

What is a full liquid wash and how do you do it?

You won’t love to hear this, but in my experience some needles are better or worse at dealing with pops and clicks. Reading the first review for the ortofon on Amazon, it mentions hearing every pop and click, which makes me think it’s something about the design of it.

Was there a reason you went with the Ortofon? Is it still returnable? There are some cheaper Audio Technica needles that are potentially quieter. Otherwise you can’t go wrong with a lot of other brands that range from $50-$500. I think you’ll find the sound more pleasant.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
It’s weird how there were “white whale” records 10 years ago that you never planned on ever seeing in person that suddenly have gotten repressed. It’s not the same as finding a vintage copy, but it’s cool.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Fell for a 50 year old scam and accidentally bought a bootleg copy of Let It Be. I noticed once i started it and it sounded like it wasn’t playing at a consistent speed… which my turntable does. Then it sounded like it was far away and then just horrible all around. Looked it up on Discogs and, yep, got a bad one. :sad:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
It’s definitely a neat piece of history. I guess it was took out of print soon after release due to a lawsuit, so bootlegs spread for a few years until it was officially rereleased. It was only $8 so no biggie.

My favorite part is that the bootleggers knew they needed an “IAM Triangle” stamped in the runout, but had to crudely draw it instead:

A fun read to see the other differences here.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I like buying the more worn down copies for cheap (<$10) since the pristine copies are very expensive thanks to collectors. They’re good for listening to with kids.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

:siren:Your hand is on the playing surface!:siren:

I bought my one year old a copy of the frozen ii soundtrack and he holds it by the grooves no matter how many times i correct him :rolleyes:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I bought evermore! It sounds fine

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Barry posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price of a Shure M97XE.

Hahaha uhhh what. I bought two of these back in the early 2010s for $55 each. I never really liked them (i had bad inner groove distortion with them) so imagining spending like $200-$300 on one is crazy. That’s how much my MP200 was and it’s actually a good needle!!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
This already exists as a real time vinyl nose remover :homebrew::

https://sweetvinyl.com/products/sc-2-plus

There’s also software that can do it after the fact for needledrops. I use ClickRepair and sometimes it’s like magic.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
E: quote is not edit

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Lol had a dream about the Garth Brooks collection last night so i may need to stop reading this thread before bedtime.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Smh vinyl scalpers already marking this one up

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I finally won an auction for one of my grail items:

In 2013 The National played their song Sorrow live on repeat for 6 hours at the Museum of Modern Art. The concert was recorded and was released in 2015 as a 9 LP set, known as “A Lot of Sorrow”. I found an email i sent when the records were teased saying “wow! I hope it’s not $500, i’d love to buy it!”

Anyways, long story short, it was released and it was not $500, I didn’t buy it, then i waited until it was $500 to finally go for it.

Auctions have been $400-$500 but rarely listed and Buy-It-Now prices are hovering between $600-$1000 (same with Discogs). I didn’t think my bid would win the auction, but i ended up winning it for $430 + shipping & taxes.

Now to set aside 6+ hours to listen to it and get some needledrops made… the audio is on Youtube but I’d prefer to rip it to a higher quality.

:shepspends::shepspends::shepspends::shepspends::shepspends::shepspends::shepspends::shepspends:

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2022

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

pwn posted:

Also please tell me you're not gonna bin that custom box!

Haha absolutely not! The entire package beautiful and it’s all staying together.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

interpunct posted:

Please replace those PVC sleeves.

Good call, I just saw a discussion on Discogs about how the PVC can offgas and cause damage to the records.

My current plan is, despite the beautiful packaging, transplanting all of them into new sleeves with blank jackets. That’ll keep the records accessible and the rest of the packaging safe from any damage that may come from handling. As cool as it all is, i don’t really want a fragile acrylic box with 9 LPs inside it anywhere near where it could get beat up.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

McCoy Pauley posted:

Trouble Will Find Me

Assuming I know how to read a Discogs entry (which I'd like to think I can, but maybe not a fair assumption), I'm not seeing anything saying it's a known issue with the album in general.

Aside from being annoying for me personally, my kids are probably enjoying this because it's preventing me from playing Side 3 really loud over and over.

Sorry man, Graceless is a banger and they’re missing out. At least you got Pink Rabbits and Humiliation.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

spinst posted:

Now if I could find a reasonably priced copy of Fever to Tell...

I was surprised to see this was so expensive because my (non-record collecting) wife randomly decided to pick it up at Barnes & Noble one day a few years ago. It seems like it gets repressed occasionally but it’s picked up immediately by scalpers? Fun hobby.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I had to put this under my Ikea Besta shelf because it started bowing comically as soon as I put records on it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-support-leg-gray-50293604/

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

petit choux posted:

More like Basta shelf, amirite

That was a different time, man……..

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
This thread will appreciate the turn this Tik Tok takes at the end:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVQGx9M/

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

pwn posted:

Edit: Evidently that tracklisting was incorrect, and there is in fact a bonus track for Japan. I had the wrong link. This is the correct link. God drat it :angel:

Funnily enough, The National fans recognized some of the songs from that track list as new songs they had played during their last tour. Then the fan club started sending out (weird) pictures that seem to have quotes from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and the date 1/13/2023, so now there’s hype that there’s a new National album either being announced on Friday or completely dropping, since the track list is apparently in Amazon’s database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

It's both channels, and it goes away if I swap out the cartridge. I'm not sure what else it could be.

The turntable has a good ground into the amp so I don't think that's it.

That pop is way too loud. I had a Grado black for the longest time that worked fine, no popping. I would definitely check if you could get a replacement cartridge because that’s not normal.