Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Total loving newbie here. I got pointed here from PYF but I got pretty drunk the other night and ended up ordering some vinyl even though I have zero equipment. I'm a sucker for physical media and decided I want to extend my love of bookstores to music stores. I'm also feeling nostalgic for buying music and getting something I can look at.

The hardware section of the OP is up there but I'm looking to start turntable hunting. Budget is ~300 bones, probably going to be similar for speakers. Best Buy has the AT-LP60X-GM and AT-LP120X-BT in stock, are either of these good starting points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Enos Cabell posted:

Or split the difference and buy a new AT120 but get a vintage receiver and speakers at a local shop.

I’d prefer this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got my AT-120 home with my first two records to come in. Set it up after throwing away the vague pamphlet and going to their youtube page. Glad I did now that I know how delicate everything is. I wired it to my Samsung bar and sub and it's working well while I figure out step 2.

Just sitting here listening to music I had but now I'm looking at cool album art and inserts. I really missed this kind of thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CPL593H posted:

Video game soundtracks or Herb Alpert?

It’s funny you say that cause I saw this today and kinda want it:

Right next to the Lionel Richie section.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bloodplay it again posted:

Gotta get all three albums so you can line them up.

That album art is so awesome. drat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dantheman650 posted:

I just got my copy of Celeste from them. A bit on the pricy side but I'm happy to have it!

Ooh that's cool. One of my favorite modern video game soundtracks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BigFactory posted:

The whole video game music on lp kinda misses me, though. Is it more of a collecting thing like video game or sports memorabilia and less of a music thing? Nothing wrong with it if that’s what it is, there just seems to be so much interest. And I think there has been some great video game music written, but I could only see listening to the soundtrack to Gradius on LP as a joke. Like I might listen to 30 seconds of it, and say Yup, that’s Gradius! And laugh. And then turn it off.

I wasn’t planning to get anything video game but my dad and I used to play Gradius III when I was like 8 so seeing it on the shelf caught my attention. Listening to it while cooking or cleaning would be cool for me. Typing this, I think I’m gonna go buy it.

Some games do have really good music though, nostalgia aside. I bet that Celeste one is awesome to own.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Vague question incoming. How often if ever is popular vinyl typically re-released? If something like Gorillaz first album had a run in 2015 and you can find it for decent markup, should I just grab what I can find in case it never comes back out or does stuff like this usually get another drop within a decade?

I know it probably depends but I'm making sure there isn't cut and dry advice like "never wait for vinyl to get made again."

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 22, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are there some decent sites for tracking upcoming represses? Is there typically a heads up of some time?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

it dont matter posted:

I follow labels and artists on Facebook and bandcamp. Lots of stuff gets announced on Facebook before it shows up anywhere else. Discog comments have tipped me off a few times as well.

But, I do have very narrow musical interests, this approach may be less useful if you have more eclectic taste.

Awesome, thanks.

Ended up checking out discogs and somehow time traveled 2 hours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dantheman650 posted:

I've found /r/vinylreleases to be super helpful. I guess it's not great for stuff that's far out but I've caught a few preorders there.

Finding lots of good stuff here, including rumors for the self titled Gorillaz album I talked about earlier.

So that’s cool. It was one of my first CD’s :D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you're just listening to CD's on the PS1 does it still give you the boot logo and sound clip when you turn it on?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve got something coming from Germany and I’m cool with it taking weeks as long as it’s normal practice and it’s packed properly for the hike. I was getting a little worried because something I bought earlier last week on discogs wasn’t even marked as paid yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CPL593H posted:

Discogs can get wonky sometimes. I've had stuff that was listed as payment pending where the seller sent me a tracking number already. Anyway, I've ordered stuff from Germany a bunch of times and it actually gets here pretty quick. So between that and it not even being listed as having entered the US I'm wondering if my poo poo is just lost.

I paid a German store two days ago but now they’re giving me “you have 3 more days to pay or we will cancel the order.” I sent them a copy of the PayPal receipt that matches the discogs invoice number and they’ve so far ignored it.

If they cancel the order with my money how easy is it to dispute it with discogs and PayPal? It’s a company with like 100k+ positive reviews so I’m thinking it’s just a miscommunication.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot I did that before there was even a problem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hell if you need help with a hand-translated one shoot me a line.

Their messages to me so far have been pretty good English but if it comes down to it that would be really cool of you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wires officially uncrossed, my German seller found my payment and marked the order as ready to ship. Nice!

In separate lame-o news I got an album in from a NZ band I like and half of one side has a noticeably loud pop every revolution from some kind of defect or scratch. Looked at my stylus, dusted the record and it seemed permanent so I sent it back for a replacement. Guess these things happen with new vinyl from time to time?

I will complement how people have been shipping these, nothing has come bent or warped yet. I was prepared to get some flimsy USPS DO NOT BEND envelopes but have instead been getting rigid cardboard tanks, sometimes packed inside another box.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I’ve been getting some modern stuff in that still uses 45. Is it essentially a quality boost in exchange for using more real estate per track? Might just be the recording but it sounds fantastic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That explains why my full size EP’s are all 45. Still fits on one vinyl so why not?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just opened one that had the printed, tight inner sleeve and I could feel the friction and static as I got the thing out. Is there a go-to to buy if I want to nip this in the bud while my collection is tiny?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got a new copy of Songs for the Deaf today.

The inner sleeves are a lighter paper with a plastic lining on the inside and it's the best of anything I've gotten yet. Makes me realize how nice and comfy my other vinyl could be.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some guy said you can use a white magic eraser for stylus cleaning. No rubbing, just dipping the stylus into it a couple times. Anyone do this?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dantheman650 posted:

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

I had this happen last week. Came shrink-wrapped and shipped very well but for about 15 minutes on side A it popped like clockwork. Tried brushing and ended up sending it back.

Bought the exact same thing as a replacement and it’s been totally fine. It was a real bummer to have it happen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That rules.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Slowed down music reminds me of the other day when I accidentally played something too fast.

Went from “wow this is heavier than I thought” to “what’s up with this chipmunk guy.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m usually 25-35.

The only new I’ve gotten for sub 20 was an EP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Chats are getting a repress.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/...objectID=517664

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The gently caress is Eastern Dandard Time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Banano posted:

some things came in

I’ve been seeing that around, the album art makes my loving skin crawl.

Yay, trypophobia.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha that kicks rear end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Apparently the airplane with my latest order has been over the ocean for 5 days now.

You gotta land sometime!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Should I be frustrated when I buy something brand new shrink wrapped above MSRP and they ship it bad enough to gently caress up a corner?

I don’t mind messing up my sleeves but I want it to at least be my fault.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

If it is not packaged correctly, then yes

I think it was just my fault for buying through an Amazon third party. Most people send these neat reinforced cardboard sleeves that are great but this one place just threw it in a bigger box.

I left a review about the packaging and now I’m over it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yep lesson learned.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 15, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’ll be fine and the record plays perfectly. Truth be told I was in a bit of rum when I posted about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My latest enemy: Chicago customs USPS facility. You’ve had my record for 11 days now!

It’s like we had a government branch cripple the post office or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I guess it got repressed cause I finally got a copy of The Execution of All Things by Rilo Kiley for sub 30 bucks. I love this album so much, I’m stoked.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dorium posted:

I went back to a record store today after waffling on a $60 copy of Death From Above 1979 - You’re a Woman I’m a Machine. The record store guy understood totally, taking it home now.

Oooooh that's on my list along with Outrage! Is Now.

I can't be the only person who discovered them watching LetterKenny right.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m nervous cause something I really want just popped up in a few places so I bought 2. One from a local seller, one from Amazon.

Whichever I don’t want is going back to Bezos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Read After Burning posted:

Any of y'all feel like sharing your setups?

My setup hasn’t come together yet but it irks me when people get something sleek or minimalist then refuse to route the cables whatsoever. You could make that so much cleaner for less than a dollar’s worth of zip ties and 3M mounts.