Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Highlights of thrift digging over the last week, everything <= $1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
A lot of time and very little competition.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CharredBronson posted:

Ended up jumping on one last night, grabbed a shure m97xe to go with it. 5 grams on the stylus seems a little ridiculous. I've read of some people having success with dialing it down to 2, but I'd rather have a proper hifi cart anyway.

5g? Where'd you get that? Even whitelabels max tracking is 3g. I have a M97xE on one of my tables and have it ~1.25g. The specs from Shure are 0.75 - 2g:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pubs/@global_managed/documents/webcontent/us_pro_m97xe_ug.pdf

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Decent & recent from the last little bit:

Found a couple of upgrades not pictured plus some new releases (Stone Coal White, Father's Children). A couple of those are local finds, but I haven't had the chance to dig in the last couple of weeks. Bruce Haack and Joe McPhee turned up at an antique store in a tiny mountain town nearby (pop 2,300) that I was driving through after going to a friend's cabin. Definite weird find, hopefully something as good turns up next week.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

NESguerilla posted:

I have a semi large collection and was wondering what would be the best place to sell it. I kind of hate ebay and I don't want to get ripped off at a record store. Any suggestions?

If you know how to grade and ship a record then doing a set sale here or on some other record forum can get decently priced records moved pretty quickly.

What I'd do is pull all the records below a certain value (~$10, it's up to you) and sell/trade those as a lot to a decent record store. Return value will suck but so does grading, listing, packing, and shipping records (trust me). The remainder can be sold set sale/discogs. You may hit up your local store, since a lot of good stores will sell higher value records on commission and you won't have to deal with the hassle. There's private dealers that also sell on commission.

It really, really depends on the quality and quantity of your collection. I've moved a ton of records really quick by just doing a craigslist ad and people will buy tons of the worst poo poo.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'd be interested in 70's funk (small label) 45s and maybe some of the NY 12"s.

If you're looking for easy listing and set prices and plan on letting them sit and sell, then I'd say Discogs over GEMM, especially for 12"s.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Stuntman posted:

Does anyone know anything about the band/company/how much it would be worth?

You've got a lathe-cut acetate/disc of a university function. Band Frolic's like a variety show/stage competition thing for student organizations. Presto was a manufacturer of instant/field recording equipment to record instantaneously or cut one-offs. Is it a bunch of college kids doing a Beatles cover? Have you listened to it? (Also, don't clean it with alcohol.)

Worth? Unless there's something amazing on there, probably next to nothing unless you want to hunt down someone on the recording and mail it to them for karma or something.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Socket Ryanist posted:

I want to start a company or nonprofit foundation which goes around hunting down the master copies of various obscure records and digitizing them. Do you think people would be willing to contribute to this?

How is this different than the myriad other reissue labels that already exist?

Not pissing in your cheerios or anything, but sourcing records for reissue isn't a new thing. Nor is it especially easy or profitable considering you have to either discover and source something that's good enough/has wide enough appeal to warrant a re-issue or you have to secure the rights to something that would recoup (plus manufacturing, distro, etc etc). There's a grip of labels that already do this for niche genres/markets and a couple that do it for the audiophile/classic album market. I've talked to a handful of unknown/obscure artists while trying to hunt down copies and the odds of them having masters and willing to deal with a reissue are very, very slim.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Space human being posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting stickers off without ripping the cardboard?

Ronsonol lighter fluid. There's a pictorial here: http://lineout.thestranger.com/2008/04/how_to_clean_an_old_album_cover

I use this method all the drat time, works perfectly except for the rare matte cover that'll have a small bit of discoloration. I don't do the razor blade thing, though. Be patient, re-apply fluid instead of ripping the sticker off if it's not coming off easy, don't rub the cover to hard. Voila.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Not an Anthem posted:

I sat around all weekend selling records at a garage sale. Made 400$.

I hung out at a local part-time record dealer's yard sale a couple of weeks ago to help haul some boxes and go through some of his sale stuff and big 45 boxes. Just the worst scene ever. Flea market classic rock record dudes showing up and not buying poo poo (lots of trad jazz and blues in the boxes) and bragging about their past big scores. Line of the day: "Y'all got any Blue Notes or that northern soul?". I've thought about having a yardsale but the hassle v. reward makes it easier for me to just take a crate on a road trip to a decent store for trade.

Got a really good deal on a NAD C162 / C272 pair that sounds loving great and now I'm thinking of doing a small all tube system to replace the Onkyo / NHT secondary system I have. I've *never* found a decent piece of vintage hifi equipment in my area, though, so I'm afraid the cost might be a bit much. I do need to upgrade the carts on both my tables, though (recommendations? ~<$200). I sold a few rare rockabilly 45s I had so I'm torn between splurging on some audio equipment or saving it for the three record shows coming up.

I really want to go to one of the big shows (ARC/WFMU) but I'd want to make a decent digging roadtrip out of it and my inability to save a decent amount of cash kind of fucks it up.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Funeral Pudding posted:

What turntable are you going to be putting the cart on, and what cart are you using at the moment?

Technics 1210mk2 w/ Shure MX97xE, it was the spare cart I had when I got the table. Always thought it had a little too much bass with little definition (probably worth the ~$50 sale price, but no way the MSRP). Improved w/ the new amp, though. This is the table on my main/big system, mainly because this is where I play 45s.

Pro-ject Debut III (acrylic platter) w/ Ortofon OM10, I loving hate this table, although the platter change did help. The OM10 really needs replacing.

As far as long term strategy goes I'd probably be better served by selling off my Pro-ject and splurging on a clean, used classic Rega or VPI or something.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

moss piglet posted:

Is there a single good resource for old worldwide stuff? I want something in particular from Malaysia printed in the 70s but can't find a 320 or the LP itself from just google

Doesn't exist. There's specialty dealers for specific areas/genres, but even they aren't a big resource or anything. If you've tried gemm, cdandlp, musicstack then that's about it. Maybe try Yahoo JP auctions? I know a few people who've resorted to yahoo for SE asian stuff that doesn't show up stateside/ebay.

Set up an eBay watch list entry and be prepared to wait/pony up. Or buy a plane ticket. (Do this.) I mean it's 40 year old OOP record from the other side of the world. It's rare by it very nature, so it's not going to be an easy pull.

Curious what it is, though.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Most if not all records have something etched around the label. I always thought it was so it can be identified by cat number if the label is destroyed.

Matrix numbers are normally used to refer to filing/storage/whatever of the pressing plant to keep track of stampers/mothers, since cat numbers are normally determined by the record label and generally aren't helpful to the pressing plant. Label info/engineer stuff can get engraved on the lacquer before a stamper is made, though.

(Some plants have helpful matrix systems, like Dixie in Nashville (RIP) started all their matrix numbers with the year so it's easy to date poo poo from there.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

moss piglet posted:

Here's what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGN3QuPxUP8

...and now I'm looking for it, too. See you in the ring, chump.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Back_From_Termina posted:

(I'm not actually that angry about it. It's just a minor irritation, but I am curious about it.)

It's for the period when stacking/changer players were the norm. Disc 1/4 on the bottom, disc 2/3 on the top. Bottom disc drops, plays, top disc drops, plays. Then you'd just flip the whole stack over and side 3 would be the bottom disc. So you'd hear all 4 sides and only have to flip the records once.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If anybody knows anything about this run (like why mine's numberless) I would love to hear it. I will literally die if I don't know.

Simplest explanation? The "500 pressed" thing is probably bullshit, as is the case with a lot of boots. There may be 500 *numbered* copies but that's not the entire run. I mean, the unit price per LP @ 500 vs. per LP @ 1000+ isn't too much different and it's a boot (that's been existed in some form for a while) so it's not like the guy doing it has to pay unit royalties or keep track of any of that. Just looking around the net it's been widely distributed and is still readily available, so there's obviously more than 500 copies in circulation.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Huh? The youtube shows the picture sleeve of the original 45 single. Pretty sure Farts Domino owns a copy.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Floodixor posted:

From what I know, 180-gram works for the detail due to deeper grooves with more info in them...

180g records don't have deeper grooves. Same stampers as 120g/etc, same mother process, just different biscuits.

e: Sorry, to answer your actual question: pressing @45 on 12" allows for a wider dynamic range and a higher volume. Effectively better reproduction, depending on the mastering.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 9, 2012

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Not if you intend to get a comparable cart.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
My answer about the Talking Heads boot from before:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Simplest explanation? The "500 pressed" thing is probably bullshit, as is the case with a lot of boots. There may be 500 *numbered* copies but that's not the entire run. I mean, the unit price per LP @ 500 vs. per LP @ 1000+ isn't too much different and it's a boot (that's been existed in some form for a while) so it's not like the guy doing it has to pay unit royalties or keep track of any of that. Just looking around the net it's been widely distributed and is still readily available, so there's obviously more than 500 copies in circulation.

That's basically how bootlegs work, they keep pressing them until they get a C&D or the distributors won't take anymore.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Get thee to a Craigslist. Then wait.

Also, the A/V Arena has a decent 2 channel thread:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

Basically you're looking for anything pre-80s from a solid mid-level audio company: Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK, etc. If you're lucky you can find slightly higher end stuff like Marantz, Sansui, McIntosh, etc. If audiogon.com ever gets their search by zip code feature fixed there's occasionally deals to be had on local rarer/higher-end equipment. When/if you go look at anything make sure it's hooked up, test all the channels, twiddle the pots to check for noise (usually easily fixed). Phono stages in modern cheaper amps tend to be poo poo, so I can't really recommend anything that's cheap and modern.

If you're patient there's definitely deals to be had on Craigslist. Like the mint Klipsch Heresy IIs I brought home today:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000733581

It's a lot better than it was and the extended sides help against corner crushing.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I plan on swinging by my local store on RSD after my usual weekend digs. I made a pic of how I hope it turns out:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

I'm way too lazy to put my collection up on discogs. You fuckers are committed.

Yeah, I've never really made an effort because there's just to much stuff missing from Discogs. The bar to make a useful/acceptable DB entry is too high for me to really bother (tracklisting, photos, etc). RYM has a more oddball/private/obscure driven community so there's a lot of stuff there that's not in Discogs.

I always thought it was weird there's a bunch of entries for comps but not the original sources...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
That Soul Generation LP is solid 70's sweet soul that's not too common, and a good price for an OG. I know there's not many soul collectors here, but still.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

JohnnyMondo posted:

I'll be listing more rare soul stuff as I find it, my boxes are all out of order from a move, but I plan to thin out most of the rarer stuff on discogs, so keep an eye on there if you see things you kind of like, more similar stuff to come soon.

I'll keep an eye on it, I don't think I've bought a decent soul LP in months. (Also interested in any soul/funk 45s, private/out jazz, etc.)
e: Argh, I wished discogs had a way to subscribe to a seller's list so I'd get notifications. Do a set sale list here 'cause I'm super dumb/lazy and will forget to check your discogs list?

quote:

Edit: also sorry to ask this again, but the post keeps changing their rates. What do you guys charge (or what is fair to pay) for shipping? Right now I'm asking 9 for priority domestic, but I had a couple people cancel orders because it's too high. I feel like much less than that and I'm eating shipping just on postage and packaging alone

US:
$4 LP Media
$7 LP Priority
$3.50 45 1st Class
$6 45 Priority

Int:
$14 LP 1st Class Int
$7.50 45 1st Class Int

I think I've only ever sent like 3 records out of hundreds via domestic Priority since everyone just expects/accepts Media Mail pricing. Really, Priority Mail in the US isn't much faster than Media in my experience and nobody ever bothers w/ it when they buy from me. If you want tracking just slap Delivery Confirmation on top of Media Mail.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 7, 2012

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

I've been wondering if years down the road when a lot of the hype dies will a lot of these special Third Man novelty releases be much less valuable.

They're pogs for gullible idiots who might as well have a dayglo "CHUMP" on their forehead, and will be worth gently caress all one day. They're the future's novelty frisbee. There's basically no cultural/historical value in them and take advantage of manufactured rarity and people with disposable income who missed the point by a mile. Also:

quote:

I find price gouging to be the absolute worst thing about record collecting and I pretty strongly resent anyone who does it. But I'm also aware that if they were selling these to true fans...

Seriously?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

theradiostillsucks posted:

There's also a bunch of private press, promo-only and audiophile records, and a lot of them are still sealed.

Those test pressings are going to make a killing.

I've hit up Earshot in SC a bunch of times and I always got the distinct feeling that most good records don't get a chance on the racks and are just held for eBay. Any of this going to actually make it onto the floor? I was probably going to do a daytrip in the next week or so that would go through gville.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Some people got problems records won't solve.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

RizieN posted:

But what is this engraving? Some "collector" mark his poo poo?

It says AL- 34427-1A and them some weird squiggle that could be anything really, looks like 3 letters, but they're squiggles. And then the back side says BL-34427-1D and those squiggles.

It's a matrix number. They're etched on the lacquer for internal tracking/use by the mastering and pressing plant for internal tracking/record keeping of the stampers. They can also be used to determine which press something is if catalog numbers don't change.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
That looks killer, but yeah, $8 a pop is tough. It's probably been turned over a couple of times but there's still gotta be decent stuff there. I'd probably pitch something like $150 bucks to just get in the door then $3 a 45 after that? I dunno, given a bunch of time to dig I'm sure you'd come out ahead. (I mean, I don't get to see a lot of NOLA 45s around here so I'd way happy with $3/$4 copies of Check Your Bucket/mid-rangers with a slight chance of a Dap Walk, Barbarin, or something.) Basically walking away with a good stack of clean 45s would make my month, even if I didn't get over like crazy.

My fav RSD find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6ZaE9Mzqk

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ron Burgundy posted:

Being the friend/relative/neighbour that collects records, I found a large lot dumped in my room when I got home from work. I got through about half a dozen Nana Mouskouri records before I found a nice little collection of small run 70's Australian jazz records, many of them are signed by the bands, one had a letter to the previous owner.

It's not the find of the century, and I won't be retiring tommorow, but it's still nice to own such a piece of Australiana and only adds to what are some enjoyable records.

I'd really like to see/hear more about the AU jazz stuff, for sure. Pics?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Not uncommon, there's a lot of manufacturing variables and slight spindle variations. I usually just take the end of a pocket knife or one arm of a small pair of scissors and rotate it inside the hole a couple of times. Works fine, no harm done.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 16, 2012

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
MHS is best sold by weight. If I were you I'd probably try to just dump the whole lot and not bother doing small sets. However, nobody's trying to run the whole MHS discog so if you're going to bundle it then do it by composer.

Outside of a small number of LPs (and I mean small) classical collectors basically ignore MHS. It was a mail-order budget label. There's no shortage of recordings of major composers and collectors want specific players/conductors/performances and specific pressings. (Seriously, classical recording / record minutia is deeeep. I kept a cheat sheet in my car for awhile to keep some of it straight.)

There are some good recordings on MHS, but they're mostly not western classical. (Jajouka, Heiner Stadler, Moondog are still on my list.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

synthetik posted:

That designates that it was a free promo and it's not for resale. All of the ones we were given at the shop I worked at came that way, or had a hole punched in the barcode.

Promos are normally wlp or stamped, cutouts usually aren't the same thing. A cutout / corner cut record usually means it was returned to the distributor or manufacturer from a retail outlet as unsold. The distributor then does the cutout, then sells them wholesale to a discount retailer. That's why cheapie bins get called a cutout bin occasionally, as a holdover from LP sales. (Although they still do this to CDs...)

I've had good 45 luck recently, especially with a few hard to pull locals. This is just today and yesterday flea digging, nothing over $2. Vic Caesar and MJK have some cover issues but clean records, so I ain't mad. No idea WTF Ghanan press Pat Thomas was doing in East TN. (bluuury pic)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Every record that's shelved or traded goes through the VPI and I rub the jacket with a crystal to normalize the vibe field. Record bagged behind the jacket because I'm not a loving barbarian.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Cot drat.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Joseph remains the only xmas album worth playing.
http://handalligator.com/mp3/shopping.mp3

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Well they did capture the true spirit of christmas. Also this rules, who is it?

Joseph - Merry Christmas To You. Cali LP that doesn't show up very often, my theory is because it's really effectively camouflaged as far as records go:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Yo, lemme holla at that 50 pound box of trash.