Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I slapped together a quasi-companion site to CollectorsFrenzy that archives BINs since popsike/CF doesn't: http://www.binfrenzy.com

It's super beta while it gets stress tested and I narrow down the daily stats scheduling stuff so don't be surprised if it chokes (it's shoestring hardware). In any case it's a good reference and you get to see some lowball best offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In that case, I would take a picture of the LP in its current state and then try to scratch off the glue (GENTLY) with my nail. Then I would try to clean off the residue with rubbing alcohol and water. A lot of the time, that shmutz will just pop right off with no issue.

If there's still residue left and/or it affects the playback, then I'd take a post-cleaning attempt photo and take it up with the label. The reason I suggest taking a picture before cleaning it is because you could scratch off the top layer of glue and leave stuff in the grooves that another picture might not catch.

You can use those blunt-ended toothpicks and soak the end in rubbing alcohol for a bit to soften some to do this and it's saferish. The softened wood will deform slightly and soak a little alcohol into the grooves so when you rub it *with* the grooves it'll ride along much better than a fingernail. I've used it to fix skips, soften ticks, and last removed a couple of really nasty glue spots on my copy of SF Sorrow.

You can go kind of crazy with it too, as long as you keep the toothpick soaked, since there's much less chance of accidental damage.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I've had multiple tube phonostages and am currently using a Bellari VP130 w/ a NOS Mullard and a Denon MC. The Bellari is pretty cheap for a decent pre but the stock powersupply sucks. Unless you're really happy with everything else there's probably a better part of your chain to spend cash as far as bang for your buck goes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
~80-100 depending on gatefolds, etc. 100 LPs is pretty damnn tight, though. Also, I put a tight fit 1x2 block stop in the rear of each cube on my big shelf to line everything up and not have poo poo slide out the back. Adds a little stability, too.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

david puddy posted:

You must have some flimsy-rear end sleeves or something because my cubes hold like, 60-70 each maximum. I have just under 200 records and they take up this much space:

Yeah, I way overshot. I just went and counter two cubes and they both have just under 60 each and each had a number of impulse style gatefolds.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Hey that's a really good idea. I'm going to have to use that, my bookcase can't sit completely against the wall due to cables / space issues. How long were the blocks to get them to be tight fitting? I think I might have to make a stop at Home Depot tomorrow.

I honestly don't remember the inner dimensions of a cube. Tolerances aren't that tight, though, because of manufacturing and assembly. What I did was measure off the inner width, miter a block to length, then find the cube that it fit the tightest in. Liquid nails and c-clamps overnight.

Also records:

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 26, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
It's an ion usb table w/ a stock p-mount cart. It's a piece of poo poo.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
There's actually a manufacturers that suggest that 180g is more prone to warping during manufacturing due to uneven cooling coming off a press that was basically designed for 120/140 and they're just using a bigger biscuit. To be clear, this is usually just a slight DNAP warp and nerds need to unclench.

A local soul food place here's interior is nothing but what I'd guess is one of the (younger) owner's parent's record collection nailed/stapled to the walls. Lots of what was probably a pretty nice hard bop collection, DG Riverside/Jazzland, early-ish Atlantic, later Prestige, cover to a mono Giant Steps is stapled above the booth I always get. At least the 45s on the wall aren't anything special. I ain't mad, really good chicken & eggnog waffles.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
A Crouch/Rambo/Gaither songwriting credit is how you know to leave a gospel record behind.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

What good are records if you're not going to complain about every aspect of owning and obtaining them?

Great box set design, assholes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
There's been a shitload more pre-flipping this year: http://www.binfrenzy.com/search/?query=rsd+2014

(Wizard of Oz, really? RSD is straight up terrible.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
If you're not casually flossing og libaeks your not even in the game.

e: I'm at work right now but otherwise...

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Rollins tried (and maybe succeeded?) to get a complete run of American Tapes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Nothing says balleur like Leo Sayers - Endless Flight wall jernts and 30 yards of budget classical.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I changed BINFrenzy to https://gripsweat.com and it now tracks auctions and gets audio clips from auction (when it can). The audio clip thing is probably a genre collector niche thing, but I've killed a lot of time at work just clicking through 45s I don't know.

https://gripsweat.com/search/soundtrack?page=1&sort_by=date&audio_only=1

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Allen Wren posted:

I don't even understand what we're being told to do with our records here. Outside the jacket but inside the sleeve? So we've got an empty jacket, and then the record in its sleeve, then the next jacket, and then the next sleeve with record? This seems like a good way to end up with hosed up sleeves. Or with accidentally putting a jacket back on the wrong side of a record and loving everything up.

Both the jacket and record (in sleeve, behind jacket) are placed together in a polysleeve. I store my poo poo this way and find it a lot easier than mucking around with getting record in/out of jackets and possibly exacerbating any seam splits, etc. Absolutely necessary when dealing with fragile JA/BR/African sleeves and thin euro poo poo (I actually store some of these w/ the record in a blank 12" jacket). So once a record is on the shelf the jacket basically never leaves the polysleeve.

Fors Yard posted:

when will stores start selling "reliced" records? don't want people to think you just got your reissue of Who's Next. scrape the sleeve against some extra fine tone sand paper - those split seams reall helping the sound come out

I have seen one guy beat the poo poo out of some afrobeat reissues and try to pawn them off as OG. Same w/ a bunch of soul and funk 45 boots.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Again,

JehovahsWetness posted:

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

Scott's electronic stuff is from the '60s (though it does predate the Moog crazy that Carlos started innit?), but I'd be looking at Stockhausen in the mid '50s.

Outside of musique concrete i'd probably cite Subotnick and Raaymakers as the all-electronic non-avante/popular/approachable artists that pre-date Carlos.

1957:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVl2_MSwmSA

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

I used to know a guy who made a living off of record digging in Rio and selling them on to the US & Europe for a couple of years. The market for the canon stuff is pretty solid.

A couple of the guys I got a lot of my BR records from actually stopped doing many sales outside of Brazil because the collector market caught up and it was just easier to sell locally. It's too bad since the biggest brazilian ebay dudes are some of the worst graders and their postal service sucks.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Especially for Impulse stuff, since they kept just about everything in print and changed label and jacket styles throughout the press runs as the label got cheaper and cheaper. That's why everyone differentiates Impulse pressings by saying DG orange/black or black label, heavy stock gatefold, VG in deadwax, etc.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
gently caress a gimmick, I'm not even buying color jackets anymore. Recent:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'm pretty sure the last couple of year's re's of Baby Huey have been scorpio gray area boots. A lot of that crap get heavier euro distro and not much US.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Still wish they'd used the alt cover.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
^^ Yerp. My usual advice is to take any records worth above some value you determine as to be worth the packaging and shipping hassle and sell them off set sale / ebay / whatever. Anything else you take to a local shop and take it in the rear end for whatever pennies on the dollar you payed. If you have big pieces and don't want to deal with shipping then talk to your local shop about doing stuff on consignment. (I've bought 45s from Friends of Sound in Austin and they seemed okay, maybe hit them up.) HPB offers are straight up jokes, though. I wouldn't expect a big offer from bin filler LPs, though, wherever you go.

B&W jazz arrivals only.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Malaria Playboy posted:

Oddly enough, first presses of ITCOTCK don't go for much. The only pressings that are worth a huge amount of money are the early misprints, which aren't even really misprints. They've just got some formatting issues on the center label.

Because collectors are shooting for the country of origin, so US 1st isn't worth much (same thing w/ Charisma, Vertigo, etc). Clean UK pink island courts are absolutely worth a lot: https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=court%20crimson%20pink%20island&page=1&sort_by=price

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

izationalizer posted:

Ideally, I'd also need some horn speakers for the tube amps. I had some Klipsch Heresy's, but I recently sold them due to the aforementioned poorness.

Those MC30s are dope as hell, i'd love to have a pair. I own Heresy IIs, and I think they'd be seriously outclassed by MC30s. They're okay for small rooms but have a pretty terrible low end for Klipsch horns. I'd really shoot for the larger Klipschs like cornwalls or lascalas, but it'd get expensive. You may want to consider DIY'ing some single driver folded horns. There's a few kits out there that are pretty affordable for what you get. I'm thinking about building the Madisound BK16: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/ . They also make a smaller BK12 kit.

Here's what I bought at the flea this morning. AR ES-1, Hafler 110/220 pre and power, Sonographe CD.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
$80 for the pile, plus a bunch of shmancy bullshit interconnects and a Hafler 330 tuner. Everything needs a decent cleaning, though. Deoxit the poo poo out of the pots (they feel terrible), clean the rails on the cd carriage, basic stuff. AR will need a new belt and a re-soldered ground cable. Whoever disconnected it from the pre didn't realize it was attached so just unplugged the RCA and ended up breaking the ground cable off at the spade.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Don't gently caress around with mold. I recently had to go through two rounds of antibiotics for a throat problem caused by a big stash of moldy/mildewed 45s. If you're really going to dig through it and kick up a bunch of water damage mold then put a mask on. Serious, some busted Cadet lps ain't worth legionaries disease.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Unless you're going to pony up for a vacuum cleaner / VPI of some sort the best bang for your buck is just the super simple alcohol solution: %25 isopropyl alcohol (91%), %75 water (distilled if you're on the spectrum), and like one or two drops of dish soap to act as a surfactant. Apply w/ a spray or squeeze bottle, rub circularly with microfibre cloth, repeat a couple of times, let air dry for like 30 seconds.

I have no been getting many records over the winter because of work poo poo and lack of time. These are some of them that I like:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

c0ldfuse posted:

Look at the Dredg El Cielo currently $300 and was reissued last year.

c0ldfuse posted:

I'm going to throw out a $250 on Amazon for the original one I purchased once I recieve. If no buy hold both until price rises again (like it inevitably will).

dude what. freebasing beanie babies

https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=buena%20vista%20social&page=1&sort_by=price
https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=dredg%20cielo&page=1&sort_by=price

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

BigFactory posted:

If anyone gets any Dan Fogelburg records from VNYL I'll buy them off of you. Seals and Crofts too. PM me.

Why not just go work for them. I'm sure many of you would blossom in their 'assistant curator' position: http://www.simplyhired.com/job/assistant-curator-for-vnyl-job/vnyl/qyz4cpomnq

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

a well-curated record shop is a pretty boring experience (as in "I could buy anything here, so it's just a matter of money, so this is not really fun?")

if you accept that there's basically a bottomless well of good music for deep collectors (which i agree with, i'm not arguing here) then 'i could buy anything here' simply ain't happening. and even the best well-curated shops, besides being few and faaaarrr between, are really right-place-right-time purchase spots since sweated records are sweated records and get snapped up. in the last couple of years brick and mortar record shopping has been the pits when i travel so walking into a shop w/ actual good genre wall records is really, really novel. (i went to nashville last month and every shop there was the pits. i found better records hitting flea markets on the drive.)

a couple of these are from the drive

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
yes i'm aware i live in a shithole state thx

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
The UK Vertigo thing is a nice touch.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Apparently I haven't posted in this thread in like a full year. I also had a kid kind of recently so I haven't had much time to do record poo poo.

So here's some LPs I was moving out of the recents crate onto shelves?

Please stop buying video game music that didn't originally sell with an obi, thanks.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Haacks are local buys, originally from a nearby school in VA (I think my copy of Dance to the Music is from there too). I bought the two Haacks and Shadow from a local record guy from his "randoms" bin at a hotel record show here. Skynyrd Street Survivor flames cover = $50, Bruce Haack = "i dunno, five bucks?"

Top right is McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, south african expatriate jazz group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCBDExmB7Bo

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Chill Callahan posted:

I also got these two things from the best record store on the east coast

i really want their sherwin williams / cover teh earth shirt, i think its looooong gone

got a bunch of junk over the weekend, these two made it though

super clean og mono

and

i love catalog books, this one just happens to be like aimed right at me. great to flip through like got it, need it, heard it, never seen it, got it, etc etc etc. the euro and private press sections are pretty good, too.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I moved heavy poo poo today.

They also conveniently provide more horizontal surfaces for stacking poo poo on top of.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Barry posted:

Oh poo poo are those la scalas? How are they?

I absolutely love them. Just been playing a few hot stamper / TAS / MFSL bullshit records I have for fun and can't get enough of them. What's crazy was I was actually setting up a road trip this weekend to drive like 2 hours to demo/buy a pair of Klipsch Belles but then the La Scalas popped up on CL for like less than half the price and 15 minutes away. It'd been nice to have Belles but I ain't mad.

Original AA crossovers, so I'll probably need to rebuild them to change the caps but no big rush.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

stay depressed posted:

i wish i could buy these posts on vinyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Didn't spot it until this morning, but FE is having a %15 off sale until the end of the day: https://www.forcedexposure.com/Home.html