Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hello, I don't have many records but I picked these up recently

:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

incoherent posted:

Any love for the RSD black friday? The Sharon jones comp looks sweet as does pink exclusive Kids See Ghosts.

I am going to try and get the Milla release. It's a good album and the first ever on vinyl.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ballz posted:

Anybody planning to go get the plague tomorrow along with some exclusive Black Friday RSD releases?

I'm going to make a minimal effort to get the Milla release. Going to a tiny store near me that says they have 1 copy. If I don't get it, I'm not going to bother going around to other stores. Just buy it from a flipper on discogs I guess.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

dorium posted:

The record shop near my place thankfully has never had a big line for RSD stuff and it’s always the same people I see every time so they know the very strict rules the shop adheres by and it’s very orderly and as low risk as possible. So I’ll probably do RSD tomorrow but that’s about it.

This is what I'm hoping for. If there's a big line I'm just turning around and coming home.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Got to the store 10 minutes before open, #6 in line. Everybody else was there for the Let it Bleed so I got what I wanted!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dumb question, does the USB let you just plug it into your computer and it works? Or do you gotta download drivers and software?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I get a lot of dust and microfiber fuzz collecting on my needle. Maybe that is causing some noise?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't have anything old and weird like you guys post. This is what I've bought most recently though:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

beeker posted:

You can't go wrong with Air. Moon Safari & Talkie Walkie are two of my favorite records.

I've got mp3s of Moon Safari and 10000 Hz Legend, which I like. For whatever reason I've never listened beyond those 2 and Virgin Suicides. I should get around to listening to more.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

IS anyone else having trouble with imgur? Is it down says it's not down but I can't get on there at all.

imgur was down earlier today, but it's working now for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The blurb in the description is just so typical high-end audio review hyperbole. Are there "professional" reviews of high-end audio where they just rip on the product? Guessing not many because they don't want to lose access to gear?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The deluxe 3x vinyl version of Give Up by The Postal Service seems to have been repressed if anyone cares. Subpop has it up and I have received a copy. https://megamart.subpop.com/collections/the-postal-service/products/the-postal-service_give-up-deluxe-edition

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

me on receiving this package: lol what a ridiculous package for just a single album, this thing is going to take up more space than anything else on my shelf and i haven't even listened to this record since high school

me listening: oh no i am singing along to every word

annoyed that they didn't put this is the dream of evan and chan on the two(!) bonus LPs though, seems like a weird miss. maybe they're going to put it out as a $20 record store day picture disc or something

Hah, yeah the package is huge for 3 records. I feel like if they did an RSD release, it would be of the Everything Will Change live album they released only on digital.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah poo poo gently caress and there's a storm on reddit about it too. I can't find a concrete reason as to why it was taken down, and someone claiming that they got a message from tbt saying it's still gonna be fulfilled, and more people mad that he's charging a 20% restocking fee on a preorder. I feel most bad that I convinced a friend to buy it as well and I guess we'll all have to ready paypal disputes.

How do you charge a restocking fee on a preorder??

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use one of those Onzow gel things to clean my stylus. I find that a fair amount of the stuff getting left on the stylus is fibers from my microfiber cloths. Need to find some better versions of those.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Was that an order from Fire Records? They sent me that Opossom album free on an order a couple years back. Still haven't listened to it though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

petit choux posted:

You goons made me buy these:

... for my wife, mostly. She probably has some of them already though. I think the Klezmatics is for me though. Seven bucks.

Tigerlily is one of my fav albums.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Barry posted:

There is a MoFi release of that which sounds absolutely spectacular. I definitely wouldn't pay the discogs price, MoFi release copies here and there on their website for $50.

I have that. Paid discogs price too. :mad:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Emetic Hustler posted:

Are microfibre towels good for cleaning records? I've used some for other cleaning and it seems to leave lint. I guess there is quality differences?

My experience is they leave lint in the grooves that get stuck on the needle.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do they play on that little player RSD used to have?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I've been trying not to buy records but Scott Thompson making songs is a must have for me. I'm so glad you posted this, I'd never heard of it.

You can get 15% off if you buy it from the label and use the code 15OFFABANDONED. Plus it's already two bucks cheaper on there compared to Bandcamp.

Thanks I bought this too, code makes it basically free shipping.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I do not have a music subscription to anything so yes I do maintain a folder of mp3s and redeem download codes.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anybody eyeing anything for RSD? I looked over the list and don't see anything of interest to me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I moved across country, packed my records into some plastic corrugated record boxes I bought from Bags Unlimited. Maybe overkill if you aren't moving far.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I love this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you all have separate audio equipment for music or is your record player hooked into your home theater setup? I bought a house and deciding what to do.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I keep my cables in new, sealed in the bag condition.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have the Fluance RT-82, and used this preamp for awhile https://smile.amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Phono-Preamplifier/dp/B000AJR482. Now I have some denon receiver with a phono preamp, so I just use that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I almost bought that Radiohead Kid Amnesiac combo record which was retailing for $50, but I decided I didn't really like Amnesiac enough to want to spend that much.

I bought some art book set of that, it cost around $150 I think. Think that's the most I've spent.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Be A Man
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15975

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Boinks posted:

It was meant to be heard on CD anyway. In a Honda Accord.

I had an Accord where the cd player could rip to a built-in hard drive. I didn't own any cds though.