Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Oh poo poo I didn't realize we had a new thread (Stopped reading the old one for who knows what reason).

I haven't done any record hunting in the last few months, mostly because my attention has been focused elsewhere. I need to get back into it though.

Here's a few of my favorites from my collection for the new thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

In the bottom left you can barely make out that someone else is actually playing sax. I'll put it on and see if I can tell if it's him singing though.

edit: That Carl Sagan record looks neat. What is it? Is it just him talking about space or something?

It's this.

I normally hate gimmick releases but this one was worth the $7.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

CPL593H posted:

You seem like a guy who would know this. What's a good place to start with the B-52s? Is it best to just go in order?

My very first album I ever owned (on cd) was Cosmic Thing. It holds a very special place in my heart.

That being said, their first album is one of the best albums ever made. Hell, Rock Lobster is cited as one of the things that inspired Lennon to come out of retirement.

It sounds amazing on vinyl and should be fairly easy to get.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SupahDren posted:

Hey sorry, rear end in a top hat question: I'm getting into vinyl more and more for various reasons, maybe I'm just a douchebag, who knows...anyway, I would like some advice on getting a serious turntable. My current solution is great, but maybe it's time to do this for real. I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and a Pro-Ject Debut III. Within the former, there seem to be about 200 options over the last 30 years. Which 1200 do you guys recommend, if you don't mind sharing? Also, how would you compare these vs the pro-ject, or would you recommend something else entirely? I know this is vaguely answered in the first post, but if we can't be neurotic and stuff why are we in the vinyl thread?!! Thanks.

What's your budget? 1200s range a lot in price and you also need to factor in things like a cart (Any cart coming on a 1200 is most likely a dj cart that will be horrid for listening and the debut III's stock cart is nothing short of horrid) and a pre-amp.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ron Burgundy posted:

DJ cartridges achieve everything you mentioned by being built very basically and rigidly. They do this at the cost of fidelity and record wear. DJ cartridges may tout reduced record wear, but they are comparing to other DJ cartridges, not Hi-Fi ones.

I'm not trying to poo poo all over DJ carts, but it's like taxi cabs and Cadillacs. They are designed to be bought cheaply, run into the ground and then tossed. Hi-Fi carts don't start to get truly exceptional until well past $150, but you can find some very decent ones around that point.

If you can get the deck cheaper, that leaves more room to move with the cart, which in an ideal world you should spend a good chunk of the budget on, but in reality...

There's another entry level cart you might want to consider, the Audio Technica AT-95E. It plays well with the 1200 and it's pretty great value. It's not going to beat a much more expensive cart but it is good.

A Little step up to just under a hundred will get you an Ortofon 2M Red, Which I haven't used personally. Can anyone comment on these?

e: Can anyone comment on the Grado Green and Ortofon OM10 from experience?

I have an Ortofon 2M Red on a Project Debut III. For $100 it's a great cart for listening. If you're doing archival work look elsewhere as there can be some distortion towards the middle-end of the record.

I will say this though, if I were going to be buying a cart for the Debut III again, I wouldn't go with the red because it requires a new (Heavier) counterweight for the Debut III. It's so heavy that the counterweight has to sit at the very end of the tone arm to get it properly balanced and is a bitch to adjust (Constantly slipping off).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Mikerthan posted:

A friend of mine sent me this website Popmarket today. Different vinyl deals every day - I got the Slayer box set for $99 this morning. I've seen it in stores here for $250+ so definitely worth checking, cause that's a crazy deal. They've also got the 3 new Pearl Jam reissues for $45 and other stuff for cheap.

The last thing I bought was Lucinda Williams when my favourite record store closed (sigh), but I do love me some Slayer. Excited for it to show up.

It's a great set that sounds awesome; especially for that price.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Kaboobi posted:

What the gently caress I was in there like 2 weeks ago :(

some places you have to check daily cause you'll miss out on new stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Most likely the masters are in poor condition and doing a digital remaster is the only viable way to preserve them while remastering the sound.